Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

@bcc9, lol now I feel idiot, I have the same md5, then I dont know what the hell is going on with my instalation, meeeh, I could just try again and see......How are things under SL, same as leo right? But how stable it is atm?
With my HDMI codec fix, the audio crashes are a thing of the past, so yes stable. Only downside I'm aware of vs 10.5 is the firewire guid issue.

so how is the whole 64bit thing under snow leopard on 1340? Have we figured out a way to run this big cat in 64 bit mode or are we still on 32bit mode?
Works ok, surprised you're still just asking instead of trying. A few caveats... Of course no atheros 802.11. Voodoopower hasn't been recompiled for 64 bit, because, well I was hoping superhai would have updated it with the outstanding super LFM p-state problem addressed, and also there's problems with the 32 bit assembly code working.

Would be nice to ditch voodoopower and get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to handle the p-states. I've tried and so far no luck. Not sure why.

Superhai did just post a 64 bit version of voodoobattery (unfortunately no fixes for the AC power presence detection problems that started as of 10.5.8.) Luckily 32 bit voodoobattery seems to behave better for me in 10.6 than 10.5.8. Ok, just tried it in 64 bit, and looks like superhai built it wrong, it won't load. I could probably build one myself but then I'd want to fix the state detection problems first, and the voodoopower issue is more important anyways.

Running 64 bit kexts seems to be mostly an academic exercise, any performance reasons for it?

To be honest, theres no point on running the system in 64 bit mode. Same as when WinXP x64 appeared. We will be missing drivers (kexts), even native kexts (aka,atheros), some applications will not work, no performance boost.

So, we should stick with 32bit.

What it should be cool, in a distant future (when everything is working fine 32 bit) will be compiling 32/64 bit kexts, instead of having 32 ones and 64 ones, that should be possible right? Thats how all vanilla kexts are.

Cheers

What it should be cool, in a distant future (when everything is working fine 32 bit) will be compiling 32/64 bit kexts, instead of having 32 ones and 64 ones, that should be possible right? Thats how all vanilla kexts are.
Yes, I certainly compile for both whenever possible. Sometimes it's as easy as flipping a few settings in the xcode project, but... APIs change so some programs that use old APIs don't compile right and some compile but the API fails at loading time. And the new APIs typically don't work with 10.5.x so supporting the old OS becomes a separate chore.

I'll be honest..I'm very ignorant when it comes to SL and those whole boot-132 method. I copied a boot-132 iso to a dvd and tried to boot from that but it gets hung on the boot from Chameleon. By the way, I've restored a partition of my HDD to the SL because I don't have a flash drive/DVD-R DL handy.

I have a XPS 1340 with all stock components except the 9500M 256mb card; Dell Wireless 1510

Ok, after knowing my dvd dmg was the same as everyone I attempted for 3rd time to install. Result=same grey screen only cursor, but it doesnt freeze or anything! SO..I got pissed again, and said "fak it...this cant just be right" and start trying everything, and lol after a simple safe boot, the damn welcome screen came up!!! Just rebooted normally and now im working just fine (Y).....Will install everything and try it!

RAWR

I just did a 10.6 upgrade on another machine and it reminded me of a pitfall that I hadn't detailed before... The 10.5 version of the kextcache command you use to build the cache in the 10.6 /Extra directory needs to include the -a i386 argument, as shown in my install method post (#46). 10.5 kextcache command doesn't know how to handle 10.6 multi-architecture kexts properly and so it needs to strip them down to 386 only. Otherwise the /Extra kexts fail to load (with a diagnostic if you remembered to use -v). When you run kextcache from within 10.6, you can leave out the -a i386 argument, in fact you'll want to in order to be able to boot in both 32&64 bit modes.

What happen if you boot without disc inserted and then ...under osx try to insert a disk?? I just cant do it, my dvd drive is dead.......

Works fine for me. Make sure system profiler->hardware->serial ata shows your drive hung off of one of the AHCI controller ports.

It is shown just correctly, but if no cd inserted it will say I dont have any burning drive, and drive is dead. If i insert a disc before boot it will work just fine, happened also under Leo

edit: just letting you know, inserting the 2nd string for 9200 will result in a kp!

Works ok, surprised you're still just asking instead of trying. A few caveats... Of course no atheros 802.11. Voodoopower hasn't been recompiled for 64 bit, because, well I was hoping superhai would have updated it with the outstanding super LFM p-state problem addressed, and also there's problems with the 32 bit assembly code working.

Would be nice to ditch voodoopower and get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to handle the p-states. I've tried and so far no luck. Not sure why.

Superhai did just post a 64 bit version of voodoobattery (unfortunately no fixes for the AC power presence detection problems that started as of 10.5.8.) Luckily 32 bit voodoobattery seems to behave better for me in 10.6 than 10.5.8. Ok, just tried it in 64 bit, and looks like superhai built it wrong, it won't load. I could probably build one myself but then I'd want to fix the state detection problems first, and the voodoopower issue is more important anyways.

Running 64 bit kexts seems to be mostly an academic exercise, any performance reasons for it?

I am just curious to see how apple runs its 64bit operating system. I did try to boot in 64bit mode and voodoopower did cause kernel panic as expected. That's why I ask if there is a 64bit version. Well, thanks for the update on 64bit progress, bcc9. I guess I will have to stay in 32bit for now.

I just did a 10.6 upgrade on another machine and it reminded me of a pitfall that I hadn't detailed before... The 10.5 version of the kextcache command you use to build the cache in the 10.6 /Extra directory needs to include the -a i386 argument, as shown in my install method post (#46). 10.5 kextcache command doesn't know how to handle 10.6 multi-architecture kexts properly and so it needs to strip them down to 386 only. Otherwise the /Extra kexts fail to load (with a diagnostic if you remembered to use -v). When you run kextcache from within 10.6, you can leave out the -a i386 argument, in fact you'll want to in order to be able to boot in both 32&64 bit modes.

Are you saying when we finished installing snow leopard within leopard, we need to use the -i386 argument to rebuild the /Extra/Extensions for the 1st boot in Snow leopard? After that, we can rebuild the kextcache within snow leopard so that /Extra/Extensions will be loaded both in 32bit and 64bit mode.

I am just curious to see how apple runs its 64bit operating system. I did try to boot in 64bit mode and voodoopower did cause kernel panic as expected.
Well no, it should just fail to load at all as there is no 64 bit version in the binary. And so my system boots just fine it's just that the cpu remains at the max multiplier.

Are you saying when we finished installing snow leopard within leopard, we need to use the -i386 argument to rebuild the /Extra/Extensions for the 1st boot in Snow leopard? After that, we can rebuild the kextcache within snow leopard so that /Extra/Extensions will be loaded both in 32bit and 64bit mode.
Yes, if you're doing the install from 10.5.x, then use the -arch i386 when prepping the /Volume/whatever/Extra/Extensions. When updating /Extra while running 10.6.x, you can leave off the -arch i386. I did get it right in my 2 examples, I'm just providing a warning since it's easy to screw up.

It is shown just correctly, but if no cd inserted it will say I dont have any burning drive, and drive is dead. If i insert a disc before boot it will work just fine, happened also under Leo
I don't know what you mean by that. Note that the HL-DT_ST model of optical drive in mine has trouble reading some brands of burned disks (mine cannot read mitsui silver cd-r's which are archival quality and in mint condition).

edit: just letting you know, inserting the 2nd string for 9200 will result in a kp!
Some details might give a hint as to what is going wrong

Question,

What happen if you boot without disc inserted and then ...under osx try to insert a disk?? I just cant do it, my dvd drive is dead.......

You nearly scared me cause I've not used the dvd drive since installing SL but I just tried it and it seems fine, even after resuming from sleep although my HDD led still blinks after this.

Is there any chance you can confirm if the drive works under another OS and it's just SL messing with you?

Yep, tottally confirmed, it works just fine under Win7 and Linux. So weird, Im pretty sure it didnt happened before....before..10.5.8 i think lol

Forgive me if this next question is a dumb one but what kexts are in your /E/E folder?

Ok, Just for everyone knows (bcc9, maybe you want to write it in the first post), I have the TSST dvd drive, updating the firmware to latest version in Dell's page (A08) will break your dvd under osx, so not recommended. A06 its pretty fine!

Cheers!

@bcc9, the new dsdt doesnt seem to fix the usb issues!

HDAIDT, fakesmcv2, DellBluetooth (also in SLE) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, all the voodoo are in S L E

I was gonna compare your list with mine to see that would help but since you found it was a bios issue.... anyways, I have the above kexts too but the exception is that all of them (except DellBluetooth) is in E/E and I'm using dsmos instead of the fakesmc.

Ok, Just for everyone knows (bcc9, maybe you want to write it in the first post), I have the TSST dvd drive, updating the firmware to latest version in Dell's page (A08) will break your dvd under osx, so not recommended. A06 its pretty fine!

Cheers!

pmcmano, did you try A07? my 1340 has the TSST dvd drive and came with A07 but that seems to be fine so far?

I assume you mean DW20/A08 TSST firmware not A08 BIOS, right? Strange. Are you sure it's fine under windows&linux? Maybe you could troubleshoot.

Really, the "doesn't work" posts with no additional info are getting tiring. Not much help & hard to help you too.

It works fine for me. Make sure you have the 'allow usb to wake system' setting disabled in bios.

Yea, it works fine under windows.

About the dsdt aditional info, what exactly do you want me to tell you? Yes allow usb to wake system is disabled in bios, and I plugged in a USB flash drive, sleep, wake got extraction error and it mounted again. What else could I tell you?? Just ask and I will write.....

Yea, it works fine under windows.
I would check linux as well as there may be a special vendor specific hack in the windows driver.

About the dsdt aditional info, what exactly do you want me to tell you? Yes allow usb to wake system is disabled in bios, and I plugged in a USB flash drive, sleep, wake got extraction error and it mounted again. What else could I tell you?? Just ask and I will write.....
I mean, after all the doesn't work posts about the 9500m where it seems you just had a stale kext cache, the burden is on you to figure out what you're doing wrong... Check your ioregistry to make sure the EHC1 and EHC2 entries have the new AAPL,clock-id key set.

I'm having trouble building a *working* boot-132 dvd. I saw something called SlimBuildGUI which generates boot-132 iso. Does anyone have any experience with this?
No, but if you're going to use a boot132 solution you'll want something newer that has chameleon 2 inside. There are some promising threads in this forum about that. superhai made a boot132 solution for the dell xps1530. It may be simple to modify that to work for the 1340. Probably the best solution would be a boot132 solution that can be built with a dsdt.aml (the one in post #1) and uses chamleon 2 rc3.