Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

I mean, I could just use efi strings, the problem is that.. I will need to mod iopcifamily kext right?
No
thanks anyway, i knew it was too much to ask..rawr :) !
Thanks anyways?! I did you a favor by showing you how to help yourself, and it was extra work too. :)(

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

No no, dont miss-understand me, it was for real, THANKS..I (and we) cant finish thanking you for all your effort :(. So well, If you say IOPCIFamily doesnt need to be modded under 10.6 then the string doesnt work, since I tried yesterday no result.

No no, dont miss-understand me, it was for real, THANKS..I (and we) cant finish thanking you for all your effort :( . So well, If you say IOPCIFamily doesnt need to be modded under 10.6 then the string doesnt work, since I tried yesterday no result.
Ok, sorry I overreacted then. Damn internet.

The IOPCIFamily change is only for the case where you want to change your graphics string via com.apple.boot.plist. It doesn't apply for natit.

You may need to make sure you're not using the graphics dsdt change at the same time as natit. I don't know which graphics strings "win" if you try to use both simultaneously.

Thanks bcc9 and every 1 contributing to this thread, great work. i manage to get everything working with a retail disk, dual booting win7 and osx,

question now tho, is there anyway to edit chameleon bootloader as win7 makes 2 partition but only one of them boots?

and as a general consensus whats the average battery life that u guys get on a 6 cell? i get about a tad over 3 hours in osx, and like 4 and a half on win 7 on battery saving mode. is there anyway to improve the battery life?

anywhoo thanks again for all the hard work

Edit: any other dual booters notice that the time gets screwed up when you switch from one os to the other? or is that just me?

Thanks bcc9 and every 1 contributing to this thread, great work. i manage to get everything working with a retail disk, dual booting win7 and osx,
So you used my boot cd and a retail disk, right?
question now tho, is there anyway to edit chameleon bootloader as win7 makes 2 partition but only one of them boots?
I don't understand. If you're saying you have 2 windows7 installs on 2 partitions, then chameleon can chainload whatever partition your windows bootloader is on, and then from the windows boot menu you select which of the two you want.

and as a general consensus whats the average battery life that u guys get on a 6 cell? i get about a tad over 3 hours in osx, and like 4 and a half on win 7 on battery saving mode. is there anyway to improve the battery life?
3 hours or less. You could try undervolting, dimming the screen, etc.

anywhoo thanks again for all the hard work

Edit: any other dual booters notice that the time gets screwed up when you switch from one os to the other? or is that just me?

You're welcome. Yes, the time problem is basically an osx defect. Let me know if you figure out anything better than switching the timezones to compensate. There are a bunch of threads on this.

wow thanks for the fast reply, ya i did use the boot disk, sweet stuff

windows 7 when it installs it makes a 100mb partition to boot from, and the rest of the disk becomes the system files, so when chameleon boots up it reads 2 ntfs partitions, but the 2nd partition cant actually boot up, its just where windows stores all its files, it would be great if i can remove it from chameleon so i dont click on it by mistake.

wow thanks for the fast reply, ya i did use the boot disk, sweet stuff
Great, you were the first to report back.

windows 7 when it installs it makes a 100mb partition to boot from, and the rest of the disk becomes the system files, so when chameleon boots up it reads 2 ntfs partitions, but the 2nd partition cant actually boot up, its just where windows stores all its files, it would be great if i can remove it from chameleon so i dont click on it by mistake.
Well windows doesn't necessarily make a separate boot partition but now I see what you mean. I don't know the answer you'll have to ask the chameleon folks. There may be a way to configure chameleon to know which partitions to present. Otherwise you'd have to switch to a fancier boot loader like grub.

Hey guys thank you so much for everything you have done and thank you so much bcc9, ive been following you on xps 1340 since the leopard 10.5.7. I have one question tho (srry if this has been answered already)is there a fix for the no response after i close my screen and reopen it? everytime i close the lid and reopen it, i get a black screen, keyboard is still back-lit but neither the keyboard or mouse works and i have to manually restart my laptop.

Thank you

Hey guys thank you so much for everything you have done and thank you so much bcc9, ive been following you on xps 1340 since the leopard 10.5.7. I have one question tho (srry if this has been answered already)is there a fix for the no response after i close my screen and reopen it? everytime i close the lid and reopen it, i get a black screen, keyboard is still back-lit but neither the keyboard or mouse works and i have to manually restart my laptop.
I'm not familiar with any such problem. If I close the lid, the laptop suspends. If I open the lid, the laptop resumes. You need to troubleshoot. For starters, do you have the same problem when you select apple->'sleep', and then use the power button to resume. If so, is it failing to sleep or failing to resume?

I'm not familiar with any such problem. If I close the lid, the laptop suspends. If I open the lid, the laptop resumes. You need to troubleshoot. For starters, do you have the same problem when you select apple->'sleep', and then use the power button to resume. If so, is it failing to sleep or failing to resume?

Yes I'm having a problem when i use the apple->sleep. i can make it sleep, but i cant resume after sleep. the weird thing is that i dont even have it set to sleep ever so why would it sleep if i close the lid?

Thank You

Yes I'm having a problem when i use the apple->sleep. i can make it sleep, but i cant resume after sleep. the weird thing is that i dont even have it set to sleep ever so why would it sleep if i close the lid?
Recommend you try to figure out what kexts you have loaded that are different from the rest of us that have working sleep.

OSX (unlike every other OS) doesn't let you configure the lid close action and assumes you want it to sleep. You could undo my DSDT change that makes the lid event detection work and then OSX won't do anything.

Hi, mine config is XPSm1210...i am having problem with the internal keyboard, any tips? I've tried the voodoo ps2 controller kext without success.

What i noticed is when i had a working copy of leopard 10.5.6, i had the same problem of the Mac OS not being able to detect the keyboard when i ran the keyboard assistant, but for some strange reason, the keyboard was working fine.

Now in SL, even when i run 32 bit, the keyboard just refuse to work.

Razr

Well could be... disabler.kext or something like that..why dont you just tell us what do you have in your Extra Extensions folder..

Thanks for the fast reply. Here's what is in my Extra folder:

com.apple.Boot.plist

DSDT.aml

dsmos.kext

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

Extensions Folder

-AHCIPortInjector.kext

-AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

-ATAPortInjector.kext

-dsmos.kext

-fakesmc.kext

-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-OpenHaltRestart.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext

Some of these files i got from another tutorial because thats the only way i could get snow leopard installed.

Thank you

Lol its not designed to screw you over, its just...It disabled AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext which will make some systems crash if they dont have dsdt.aml file. Buuuuut...since 10.5.8 (and 10.6 also) sleep doesnt work if AppleIntelCPUPM is disabled so...thats your answer :rolleyes:

Okay, I've followed this thread closely for several weeks and applaud all the hard work done out there.

I've successfully hackintosh'd my Studio XPS 13 (2.4 GHz, 320 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 9400m graphics) using the EP45UD3P install method. This is for the newbs (like me) out there. Basically, installing the EP45UD3P to a restored flash drive and replacing the default kexts, dsdt.aml, smbios.plist, etc. with the ones provided by bcc9's hard work. I use kext utility to make the .mkext in the /Extras/Extensions folder. Install EP45UD3P again to the Macintosh HD once installed. If SL is installed with the kexts already in place (/E/E), you're good to go. Run the ACPI script provided to make everything work nicely.

My /Extras folder looks like this:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • DSDT.aml (provided at this post)
  • Extensions.mkext (created by kext utility)
  • smbios.plist (provided at this post)
  • Extensions folder
    • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
    • AppleRTC.kext
    • DellBluetoothHCI.kext
    • fakesmc.kext
    • HDAIDT.kext
    • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
    • IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext
    • OpenHaltRestart.kext
    • VoodooBattery.kext
    • VoodooPower.kext
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext

[*]Themes folder

Everything seems to work quite well. I've not checked the Express Slot or all of the headphone ports, but I don't use those anyway.

However, I really need the SD slot to work and cannot get it working. Is there any progress on this, or anyone who has it successfully mounting cards?

Thanks!

Has anyone noticed theres a new video card available in dell store for this laptop? 205m if im right....reading reviews it seems its slower, but cooler and more battery efficent........

Shouldnt matter with our Hackbook since its another 9400m + something else..and that something else cant be enabled. But just asking lol

Hey there guys, thanks for all the hard work all of you have been putting into making all of our lives easier. I got everything setup and ready to do some testing, so if anyone out there needs help with the 9500 for me to do tests, or with HDMI sound output or anything else let me know.

Just to give me peace of mind a few things

1) I read the whole post and searched out there but did anybody have any luck with the HDMI sound output

2) Is it ok for me to delete the Leopard partition? or does SL still need it for something, if so, any safe way to delete it, or test before deleting it?

3) This is quite annoying, I have the laptop connected to an external monitor but the only way to keep the 1920x1200 resolution is by making the display extended which is a pain, if i put it to "mirror displays" the maximum resolution is 1280x800. Does that as anything to do with the Information displayed under "System Profiler - Graphics"

Well guys once more if I can do anything to help please let me know.

A big great THANKS to bcc9 (for all ur hard work, perseverance and knowledge), pmcnano (for all your support, enthusiasm and help compadre), and to all you guys which contributed even with one post.

Take it easy.

Hey there guys, thanks for all the hard work all of you have been putting into making all of our lives easier. I got everything setup and ready to do some testing, so if anyone out there needs help with the 9500 for me to do tests, or with HDMI sound output or anything else let me know.

Just to give me peace of mind a few things

1) I read the whole post and searched out there but did anybody have any luck with the HDMI sound output

2) Is it ok for me to delete the Leopard partition? or does SL still need it for something, if so, any safe way to delete it, or test before deleting it?

3) This is quite annoying, I have the laptop connected to an external monitor but the only way to keep the 1920x1200 resolution is by making the display extended which is a pain, if i put it to "mirror displays" the maximum resolution is 1280x800. Does that as anything to do with the Information displayed under "System Profiler - Graphics"

Well guys once more if I can do anything to help please let me know.

A big great THANKS to bcc9 (for all ur hard work, perseverance and knowledge), pmcnano (for all your support, enthusiasm and help compadre), and to all you guys which contributed even with one post.

Take it easy.

1. Unfortunately there is no possibility of HDMI support with the Mac OS X portion...

2. Unless you have your files on Leopard that you still want, you can go ahead and delete it; there no longer seems to be a use.

3. I can't really say because I've never used it personally, but I figure it's not possible because the full availability of NVidia GeForce 9400/9500M isn't ported (yet) for Hackbooks

Nobody has figured it out yet. I've read that it works on the apple tv box, so there is hope if someone wants to work on it.

So long as chameleon isn't using that other partition to boot off of, you can delete it. It would be marked active (check with fdisk) if chameleon was using it.

I don't know what you expect. Extended works. Of course the built-in display can't run at 1920x1200.

I can't believe there is a kext out there designed to screw me over.lol.
If you install kexts from random guides, where you don't know what the kexts are for then you should expect such problems (and it's not really reasonable to expect people in this thread to be able to figure out how you shot yourself in the foot).

I even specifically mentioned NullCPUPM in post #1 in the example list of kexts that you don't need.

You've also listed other kexts from that not needed list and others that make no sense for this laptop like AppleIntelPIIXATA. This laptop doesn't even have the intel chipset you know.