Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Finally got SL stable (at least until now) on my XPS 1340. Followed bbc9 guide but could not boot into the system, then I realized I had to take ownership of the SNOW partition root folder. All the installs I did before the whole system permissions got assigned to my user instead of root. Anyway, don`t know if it has anything to do, but it may help other people. Know I would like some advice on my Extra/Extensions folder. What do I need to keep, what is not necessary, compared to your setup.

I have:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

fakesmc.kext

Thank you

Hello All,

Finally got SL stable (at least until now) on my XPS 1340. Followed bbc9 guide but could not boot into the system, then I realized I had to take ownership of the SNOW partition root folder. All the installs I did before the whole system permissions got assigned to my user instead of root. Anyway, don`t know if it has anything to do, but it may help other people. Know I would like some advice on my Extra/Extensions folder. What do I need to keep, what is not necessary, compared to your setup.

I have:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

fakesmc.kext

Thank you

Would you mind if you can elaborate how to take over the ownership of the snow leopard partition?

Also FYI, snow leopard is mostly working on my machine but not sound.

I put everything to System/Library/Extensions instead of /Extra/Extensions.

Would you mind if you can elaborate how to take over the ownership of the snow leopard partition?

That is what my "Remount the new snow leopard partition with mount -u -o suid" statement in my install method description addresses.

What do I need to keep, what is not necessary, compared to your setup.

I have:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

fakesmc.kext

Above, I wrote:

"put dsmos.kext or fakesmc.kext in Extra/Extensions

copy in your VoodooPS2Controller.kext from 10.5.x (the one I posted) into Extra/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Those are the only kext changes you need to get the system up."

VoodooPS2Controller includes those other voodoops2 kexts in its plugins directory.

That is what my "Remount the new snow leopard partition with mount -u -o suid" statement in my install method description addresses.

Above, I wrote:

"put dsmos.kext or fakesmc.kext in Extra/Extensions

copy in your VoodooPS2Controller.kext from 10.5.x (the one I posted) into Extra/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Those are the only kext changes you need to get the system up."

VoodooPS2Controller includes those other voodoops2 kexts in its plugins directory.

Hi, bcc9, I followed your guide and put the attached DSDT.aml under /Extra/, but nothing seems to happen. CHameleon does not seem to pick up the file when booted. Is there anything wrong with my install? I couldn't get QE/CI working correctly with the DSDT.aml you posted. Please elaborate on how to correctly setup the DSDT patch? Thank you very much.

Here is an updated version of the VoodooPS2 kexts that works in both 32 and 64 bit mode. I took dong/sweec's SL_PS2_Voodoo, compiled in trip2me's voodoops2keyboard improvements, fixed voodoops2keyboard to not swap command&option by default, and included my bug fix for the trackpad timeout.

VoodooPS2.zip

With this version you need to use both the included AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and the VoodooPS2Controller.kext. These kexts are for 10.6 only.

Hi, bcc9, I followed your guide and put the attached DSDT.aml under /Extra/, but nothing seems to happen. CHameleon does not seem to pick up the file when booted. Is there anything wrong with my install? I couldn't get QE/CI working correctly with the DSDT.aml you posted. Please elaborate on how to correctly setup the DSDT patch? Thank you very much.
Only thing I have to add to previous answers on this topic is to reiterate that chameleon will load DSDT.aml from the partition that it loads the bootloader from even when that partition is not the root partition for the OS. This can lead to surprising results. Best to make sure your latest DSDT.aml is in both/all root partitions if you have multiple OSX partitions on the disk.

Here is an updated version of the VoodooPS2 kexts that works in both 32 and 64 bit mode. I took dong/sweec's SL_PS2_Voodoo, compiled in trip2me's voodoops2keyboard improvements, fixed voodoops2keyboard to not swap command&option by default, and included my bug fix for the trackpad timeout.

VoodooPS2.zip

With this version you need to use both the included AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and the VoodooPS2Controller.kext. These kexts are for 10.6 only.

Only thing I have to add to previous answers on this topic is to reiterate that chameleon will load DSDT.aml from the partition that it loads the bootloader from even when that partition is not the root partition for the OS. This can lead to surprising results. Best to make sure your latest DSDT.aml is in both/all root partitions if you have multiple OSX partitions on the disk.

Yes, I do have multiple MAC OS installation. So I need to put the DSDT.aml in both /Extra and / on all partitions that contain the mac os x installation. Is that right?

Yes, I do have multiple MAC OS installation. So I need to put the DSDT.aml in both /Extra and / on all partitions that contain the mac os x installation. Is that right?
Well, at least don't have an older DSDT.aml on the partition that chameleon is loading /boot from. No, you don't need DSDT.aml in / directly, I recommend /Extra.

First of all thanks for all the leg work. Im a apple newb (minus iphone), I have read the steps here for the dell 1340. From my understanding ( I dont care about dual booting at this point), I just boot from the oem apple GM disc, then apply the kexts? Sorry for the newb arse questions, I have found so many guides and most speak at a non newb level. Thanks in advance. Was looking for a generic brief over view, like install oem disk, install kexts, etc..

ioreg displays all the io registries... and in your original command we specifically wants everything displayed on to the terminal... but in my case i see nothing of that.. and assuming i have set and loaded the kext correctly.. i might missed something in the middle...
Be sure that when you used kextcache to build your .mkext, you didn't see an error about the kext ownership/permissions

Im having issues with video out though HDMI, I had to reinstall after screwing with the system too much...and now it doesnt work even though it did on my previous install. I have CI/QE working and when I plug the display in the screen goes blue for a second as it should, however when I go into system profiler it says 'Status: No Display Connected' even after I go into the display preferences and press 'detect displays'. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

I think I may have fixed the occasional boot-time panic from the AppleHDA code. I've simplified my audio kext, removing the microphone dsp section (and also the non-working external mic...) Haven't seen a crash yet. I've also folded the two legacyapplehda kexts together into one hdaidt kext, for convenience. Now all the IDT specific codec strings are in one Info.plist. Update in post #1.

HI...A big thanks once again to bcc9 for a great step by step guide :)

After doing all that was mentioned- on my first boot & then for all subsequent boots with experimental addition of more kexts(not needed ones) in the hope that the KPs wont happen..I kept gettin this one Kp for Kext submap. Details are almost same to what is below

npvhash=4095

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:48:25

vm_page_bootstrap: 1977999 free pages and 119148 wired pages

kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff0000000000], kernel text [0xffffff0000200000 - 0xffffff0000600000]

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

mig_table_max_displ = 73

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf74): Kernel trap at 0xffffff00004f65c3, type 14=page fault, registers:

CR0: 0x……….

Debugger called:

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address

0xffffff88a28cba50…………

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:46:25 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25±1/RELEASE_X86_64

System uptime In nanoseconds: 63715772

Now, I read on another forum a suggestion to fix this by formatting the entire HDD & using GPT.This solution is not very practical for me since I'll be needing to use Win & Linux too & i'll need MBR

Is anyone here using MBR & successfully booting without this KP?

Im running Leopard 10.5.6 on the M1340 & the external Hdd that im using has the 'Snow' partition in no.3 place. partition no1 is NTFS & no2 is HFS+ & no 4 is FAT.

After doing all that was mentioned- on my first boot & then for all subsequent boots with experimental addition of more kexts(not needed ones) in the hope that the KPs wont happen..I kept gettin this one Kp for Kext submap. Details are almost same to what is below

npvhash=4095

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:48:25

vm_page_bootstrap: 1977999 free pages and 119148 wired pages

kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff0000000000], kernel text [0xffffff0000200000 - 0xffffff0000600000]

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

mig_table_max_displ = 73

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf74): Kernel trap at 0xffffff00004f65c3, type 14=page fault, registers:

CR0: 0x……….

So you're getting a crash right away before any kexts load? I haven't had that problem. Since it's right away I'd suspect something pretty fundamental like your DSDT.aml is corrupt. I also notice that you're booting in 64 bit mode instead of 32 (like in the instructions).

Is anyone here using MBR & successfully booting without this KP?
Yes of course I am

I think I may have fixed the occasional boot-time panic from the AppleHDA code
Update: I still get this panic at boot time occasionally :thumbsdown_anim: (unrelated to Traggr's early panic btw).

Success! Finally I have MacOSx working wih everything xDDDD. Thanks bcc9 you are really awesome. I don´t get KP at boot time, but ocasionally when working they appear... ¿How do you see the error, or how does the error look like at the error console?

P.D For the one`s of you who don´t have audio working, install the new kext that bcc9 upload (after deleting the old ones) reboot with the -f parameter... That worked for me :3.

Success! Finally I have MacOSx working wih everything xDDDD. Thanks bcc9 you are really awesome. I don´t get KP at boot time, but ocasionally when working they appear... ¿How do you see the error, or how does the error look like at the error console?
Great (on the success part).

If you use the recommend -v kernel boot flag, any panic messages should be scribbled all over your screen in black&white.

So you're getting a crash right away before any kexts load? I haven't had that problem. Since it's right away I'd suspect something pretty fundamental like your DSDT.aml is corrupt. I also notice that you're booting in 64 bit mode instead of 32 (like in the instructions).

Actually, no..Im not getting the crash immediately.After booting in verbose mode,I can see a whole lot of kexts being loaded & then several seconds later the screen stops at this kext submap error. I have booted in both 32 & 64bit as well..get the same panic.

As for the DSDT, Im using the same one posted by you.Also is aud.dsl(the other file)from your DSDT zip post to be added in alongside Extra/DSDT.aml in the Snow Partition? .. Iv done that already.. but jus confirming...

Also, if you would be kind enough to post your smbios.plist & com.apple.boot.plist , it'll really be helpful to reduce my margin of error. I am a bit unsure if I'v edited those 2 plists correctly...

Thanks again..

EDIT -

As posted by Itwong "Chameleon 2 RC2 V658 has been released to provide native snow leopard and 1TB hard drive support. The instruction should be updated to utilize this new bootloader. "

I was wondering if the KP im getting is due to using older Chameleon RC2 v431(also using Snow Support V2 with it though). The Hdd,im using is 1Tb with a 18Gb for Snow.

Chameleon 2 RC2 V658 has been released to provide native snow leopard and 1TB hard drive support. The instruction should be updated to utilize this new bootloader. :-) Thanks again bcc9 for the great tutorial on xps 1340
Thanks.

Good to see newer chameleon bits. Anyone know if this fixes anything crucial for snow leopard? I don't know what "proper Snow Leopard extensions loading" really means :( I'm guessing it's just /Extra/10.(5|6) support. I've booted snow leopard just fine with chameleon 2 v638 (rc2), pc efi 10.1, and now chameleon 2 v658 (rc3). They all seem to work equally well for me.

By design post #1 didn't mention a particular chameleon version, so I don't think I need to update anything? I recommend going with the latest non-alpha versions always.

Actually, no..Im not getting the crash immediately.After booting in verbose mode,I can see a whole lot of kexts being loaded & then several seconds later the screen stops at this kext submap error. I have booted in both 32 & 64bit as well..get the same panic.
So do you have this problem with just the DSDT.aml, dsmos or fakesmc, & PS2 kexts, or is it only after you did more things?
As for the DSDT, Im using the same one posted by you.Also is aud.dsl(the other file)from your DSDT zip post to be added in alongside Extra/DSDT.aml in the Snow Partition? .. Iv done that already.. but jus confirming...
The .dsl file is the pre-compiled version of the .aml, you don't install it anywhere. That's just in case you want to edit the DSDT yourself/see what I did.

Also, if you would be kind enough to post your smbios.plist & com.apple.boot.plist , it'll really be helpful to reduce my margin of error. I am a bit unsure if I'v edited those 2 plists correctly...

Very well, tho I did post my smbios.plist already a few posts back

I was wondering if the KP im getting is due to using older Chameleon RC2 v431(also using Snow Support V2 with it though). The Hdd,im using is 1Tb with a 18Gb for Snow.
v431 is rc1, which is now 2 versions out of date. I never tried that old of a bootloader with 10.6.

v431 is rc1, which is now 2 versions out of date. I never tried that old of a bootloader with 10.6.
Ok, I tried v431 and that seems to work OK too (only tested booting 32bit kernel).

bcc9, Did you have have to patch the applehda. I'm trying to get sound on the working on the 14z and I get KP or pathmap asserssion errors.
I didn't have to patch the applehda binary like with the old 10.5.3 applehda solution. There is just the plist additions.

For the 14z, I haven't yet seen any audio codec dumps so the situation may be different. Perhaps someone could post the linux codec dumps to the 14z thread.

As for applehda assertions & occasional panic, looks like it's a common problem:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-d....html#post98649

So do you have this problem with just the DSDT.aml, dsmos or fakesmc, & PS2 kexts, or is it only after you did more things?

Yes..I got the panic in all the cases.. I started with the ones recommended in your guide & then just to troubleshoot,experimented further ;)

Very well, tho I did post my smbios.plist already a few posts back

Thank you so very much,will try now with ur plists & report back...why i didnt use the newer Chameleon version was coz it gave me panics on my Leopard install & I had to downgrade back to v431.Not sure but maybe thats coz im still on 10.5.6.

I read more on forums of ppl getting this panic & even after entire drive reformatting & re partitioning in GUID as suggested solutions, they still seem to get nowhere..So im guessing there's somethin else amiss..

@Bcc9 - I have put your plists in place & tested again...

I seem to have gone slightly ahead from where I was stuck at earlier..Now Im getting a similar looking but different from the earlier panic..I am attaching a snapshot below..No indications of any kext failed while loading or anything like that.. Even if im using -x32 flag at boot , when I get the panic, the screen says 64bit enabled. Am I doing something wrong? :unsure:

post-402313-1252363418_thumb.jpg