Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

No, but if you're going to use a boot132 solution you'll want something newer that has chameleon 2 inside. There are some promising threads in this forum about that. superhai made a boot132 solution for the dell xps1530. It may be simple to modify that to work for the 1340. Probably the best solution would be a boot132 solution that can be built with a dsdt.aml (the one in post #1) and uses chamleon 2 rc3.

Would that be the easiest solution to install SL on my 1340? I don't have much experience with any sort of retail distributions other than XxX/iPC.

Would that be the easiest solution to install SL on my 1340? I don't have much experience with any sort of retail distributions other than XxX/iPC.
Once the boot132 solutions are fleshed out for 10.6, those should be simpler solutions for those who do not already have OSX running. If you already have osx running, well then burning disks may be more complicated, depending upon your skill level, etc.

UPDATE: Flashed this BIOS and happy to report it doesn't seem to have broken anything in SL so far...!

A11 has some DSDT changes vs the previous versions. The DSDT changes include changes to the GPU handling, for both the 9400m and 9200m components. Who knows, maybe this will mean some luck for the 9500m folks :rolleyes:

For windows users, looks like DPC latency has been fixed for the average case (but I see some spikes less frequentlly that are even bigger than before.) Maybe voodoohda would now work without distortion (tho I prefer the HDAIDT solution at this point).

Looks like my dsdt patches will need to be merged into the a11 dsdt.

A11 has some DSDT changes vs the previous versions. The DSDT changes include changes to the GPU handling, for both the 9400m and 9200m components. Who knows, maybe this will mean some luck for the 9500m folks :)

For windows users, looks like DPC latency has been fixed for the average case (but I see some spikes less frequentlly that are even bigger than before.) Maybe voodoohda would now work without distortion (tho I prefer the HDAIDT solution at this point).

Looks like my dsdt patches will need to be merged into the a11 dsdt.

@bcc9, I have the 9500m... is there anything I can do to help and/or test?

Well ma10, what I can tell you..from my experience..is that the problem is *the displays*..you can inject the 9200m part with efi strings or w/e......but...it will not boot. If you delete the display parts from the injection......example:

This is the property list for a 8xxx card:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
[b]		<key>@0,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>[/b]
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
[b]		<key>@1,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>[/b]
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>
	BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
	</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>
	AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
	</data>
	<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	<string>0x08000000</string>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
	<key>model</key>
	<string>nVidia GeForce 8300 GS</string>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>nVidia GeForce 8300 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

If you insert everything but the bolded parts, it will boot, though the card will not be working..no QE and CI..if you insert those parts..it will just get you to a grey screen and freeze there. THOUGH..there's a thread about the 9200m gs..in some HP notebooks and they seem to have the same problem, THOUGH i hadnt check that thread anymore, maybe they made some progress...

edit: {censored}..it seems i cant bold inside the codebox, anyway is the device_type

Well ma10, what I can tell you..from my experience..is that the problem is *the displays*..you can inject the 9200m part with efi strings or w/e......but...it will not boot. If you delete the display parts from the injection......example:

I used the above efi strings example (including the bolded sections) to generate the hex and entered it into my com.apple.Boot.plist and it booted normal but the 9200m still shows up as "display"

Either I've done something wrong in the process of setting up efi strings or it is being ignored?

lol that was an example...the pci root is incorrect...the actual pci root is in the 1st post..generate the correct strings..with the correct values and you'll see, in the Leo thread I posted the strings and everything..you can search them

Once the boot132 solutions are fleshed out for 10.6, those should be simpler solutions for those who do not already have OSX running. If you already have osx running, well then burning disks may be more complicated, depending upon your skill level, etc.

I already have Leopard working on here thanks to your previous thread :) . I just like to keep up with the updates..If burning discs and such would be the complicated matter, what would be the simple way, if there is one?

Lol, yea, But..in fact under Leo..it didnt paniced at all..it just didnt boot.....under SL it panic...I dont know why..

SL tried to initialise both graphics, tried to fight over the one display, returned some dodgy info and panic'd?

something must intercept the cards (power management?), switches one off and passes only one to the display...??

I already have Leopard working on here thanks to your previous thread B) . I just like to keep up with the updates..If burning discs and such would be the complicated matter, what would be the simple way, if there is one?

the simplist way is to install snow leopard within leopard. If you want to do a retail install, you can restore the snow leopard image to a USB HDD and use the updated boot-132 CD or USB stick to boot. Make sure you have the compatible version of dsmos.kext or fakesmc.kext in your boot-132 image or USB stick. But doing a retail install does not give you the option to install snow leopard over a MBR disk. If you are planning to dual boot or triple boot with linux and windows, it's better to use MBR partition scheme.

Here is a patched DSDT for A11 BIOS. I haven't yet noticed anything improved or different with A11 under OSX.

Patches:

1. fix compiler errors when compiling with intel iasl compiler
  2. fix LID close detection
  3. add GFX injection string and injection method
  4. audio device, minimal EFI string for AppleHDA
  5. EHCI: Fix usb device removal upon resume

Edit: BIOS moved to post #1.

Here is a patched DSDT for A11 BIOS. I haven't yet noticed anything improved or different with A11 under OSX.

Patches:

1. fix compiler errors when compiling with intel iasl compiler
  2. fix LID close detection
  3. add GFX injection string and injection method
  4. audio device, minimal EFI string for AppleHDA
  5. EHCI: Fix usb device removal upon resume

how come the latest A11 bios is not available in the Dell US site? I heard they pulled the problematic A08 off a while ago. Now have they fixed what is broken in A08? It's so weird that they went from A08 directly to A11. Is it okay to flash my xps 1340 bought in US using the A11 BIOS from Dell euro support site?

Anyway, thanks for the quick updated dsdt, bcc9. :-)

how come the latest A11 bios is not available in the Dell US site?
It is & has been since at least the 17th.

I like how it only says "Enhabce system stability" (sic) for the description of the fixes. Really adds confidence. :D

It is & has been since at least the 17th.

I like how it only says "Enhabce system stability" (sic) for the description of the fixes. Really adds confidence. :(

yeah, the shortness of the description plus the spelling mistake really made me pause... but since I only had my 1340 for less than a week and still messing around I thought I'll just flash it regardless!

@bcc9, thanks for the updated DSDT!! It boots up fine on my 1340 and everything seems fine so far! Is there anything you would like me to test/help with??

I heard they pulled the problematic A08 off a while ago. Now have they fixed what is broken in A08?
The 1 problem I posted about with A08 seems fixed:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...577#post4996577

@bcc9, thanks for the updated DSDT!! It boots up fine on my 1340 and everything seems fine so far! Is there anything you would like me to test/help with??
Well you 9500m guys could see if the a11 dsdt makes any difference for the 9200m component. Probably wishful thinking. And someone could start a new&separate thread for helping newbies.

Well..its not as the macbook pro, but its like the macbook pro....its kinda the same configuration.....

9400m + 9600gt

vs

9400m + 9200gs.......

not that far honestly..

EDIT: tried the new pc-efi with graphic injection and...well no kernel panic but blackscreen, like in leopard, though hadnt update bios.

Hi again, thanks to this guide and a collection of others, I've successfully put together 10.6 on my XPS! Only one problem is that for some reason, I can't get the battery icon to display on the top menubar. It's not 10000% necessary but of course I'd like to get it working if it's possible. I installed VoodooBattery.kext to S/L/E/ along with other .kexts and those all installed correctly. That all was done through "-v -x" and I tagged cache-rebuild as well. Rebooted and booted into verbose but my menubar lacks the battery..unfortunately.

Is there something I did wrong?