Try to install SL on a GA-P35-DS3

derpuma

166 posts in this topic

I have a Gigaybe EP35 DS3Rv2.1 and i used this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=%20180954) guide which is for the EP45.

it bootsup fine in 64bits mode but i don't have sound or 'good' graphics. I patched the dtst.aml file but somehow i have the idea it doesn't load the dtst.aml (is there anyway to check this)? Is it possible to force to use the dtst file?

Greetinx Atze

Use Kextenabler and install ALCInject.kext + HDAEnabler.kext, reboot and u have sound!

does anyone know what kext is causing the kernel panics when the uuid is not being set properly?

is this a specific kext or how can we find out what causes the kp during ground up installation?

if this is a sole kext we might consider patching it and loading it from preboot environment to re-open the door for preboot cd's to be created :-))

installing from Leopard works without issues. I can also then use the USB solution to boot Snow Leopard - even with leaving the wrong UUID's in smbios.plist and platformuuid.kext in place - funny, isn't it?

anyway: tonight I have some spare time to add the UUIDs to the appropriate files and see if the ground up installation will work.

in the meantime: I added my BIOS version and link to Gigabyte's BIOS download page to my signature. I think it could make things a lot easier for all of us to do so, what do you think? I suppose exchange of dsdt.aml files might be easier and we can also locate errors a little faster.

Why are you usin F2 Bios? Isnt F14 the newest Verison for your Board? I have the same board and F14 Bios...

Use Kextenabler and install ALCInject.kext + HDAEnabler.kext, reboot and u have sound!

Yeah, but then i still don't have graphics driver. I figured it also doesn't pick my smbios file and my com.apple.boot.plist file. Could there be something with the file rights of the boot partition?

Atze

I have a Gigaybe EP35 DS3Rv2.1 and i used this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=%20180954) guide which is for the EP45.

it bootsup fine in 64bits mode but i don't have sound or 'good' graphics. I patched the dtst.aml file but somehow i have the idea it doesn't load the dtst.aml (is there anyway to check this)? Is it possible to force to use the dtst file?

Greetinx Atze

What Graphic Card do you have? More Details would be helpful...

Either the EP35 Board should run in -x32 Mode 32 Bit Snow Leo.

The board can only handle 8GB of Ram, so it does not make any diffrence for you to boot up in 64bit.

If you take a look in System Profiler -> Software i would bet, that there is noch 64bit Kernel enabled, even if you think you boot up in 64bit!

Have you tried an EFI String for Graphic?

You're right about the details :(

Graphicscard: Nvidia 7300GT 256 mb

Memory: 4GB

I can ofcourse use the kext and the efi string but i have the feeling something else is wrong.

Onething about the dtst creation, my MB has the F2 bios and i used the F4 bios for dtst creation. Could this cause the trouble?

When i boot in verbose mode, it says it is waiting for dsmos and after 5 sec. it finds it, but using the fakesmc.kext it should be faster .. or am i wrong?

Atze

finally i got everything working. the usb install method worked. there seem to be more problems if you run the snow leopard installer from within leopard...

i followed the usb-install-guide (link posted by longtom in this thread) also got some advice from here: solar's guide (check out his old and his new guide!

another thing: in my experience fixing the permissions and creating the Extensions.mkexts is essential!

i don't know why, but my system still boots into 64 bit mode, no matter what i put into com.apple.boot.plist or at the chameleon boot prompt... but everything's working perfectly, so why bother to get 32 bit mode running ;-)

i finally build my own dsdt.aml (see attachment). hope this helps some people with the same configuration.

my dsdt.aml is for my ga-p35-ds3 rev. 1.0 mainboard. it is patched with sound and network working out of the box without any extra kexts!

got my geforce 7300gt 256mb working perfectly after creating a efi-string with efistudio and putting it into my com.apple.boot.plist.

so far i didn't get a single kernel panic!

:-)

DSDT.aml.zip

To all having sound issues. The only thing needed to get sound working on these Gigabyte boards is a modified DSDT. No kexts, injectors, enablers. By modifying the DSDT I have line out (2.1) and digital out (5.1) working.

Open up your dsdt.dsl and search for AZAL. You should find it twice. Replace both with HDEF. Then for the section that says: Device (HDEF), replace it with the attached text (alc889a). Save and recompile to dsdt.aml. Place in /Extra or where ever you have your dsdt. Remove any non-vanilla audio kexts. reboot. Go to system prefs and select line out for output, or digital if thats what you use.

Issue- Pin configurations are not correct, line out comes out of my black speaker jack instead of green, but sounds good. There are a lot of different pin configs, I havent had time to try them.

Im sure there is a better way but this works and I am running SL with 0 modified kexts in my S/L/E which is what I am trying to do, to avoid any issues when the first update comes down from apple.

Thanks tapper00 works here on P35 DS3P audio out Black-Jack ....Systemprofiler says on ID 12 instead of 889A it does on 10.5.8 here with HDA Enabler..but i dont want to complain..it does its Job some minor Cosmetics needed ;) thanks much!

Why are you usin F2 Bios? Isnt F14 the newest Verison for your Board? I have the same board and F14 Bios...

I suppose no. According to Gigabyte: click here

the latest BIOS revision for the EP35-DS3 is F4. And well: I didn't have any issues yet with F2. So there was no need to update.

Are you sure, you got F14? Afaik there are modded BIOS versions on the net. It might be such a modded BIOS though?!

You may also have a tiny issue with your Board name: there is a GA P35-DS3 (instead of EP this is a P board!!!). And the P35-DS3 series has firmware revision F14 according to Gigabyte: click here

forgive my ignorance. Now we found our differences. I am running an EP35 board and you are running a P35 (!!!!!!)

Anyway. I am really thinking if I should just patch the BIOS to have no need for a DSDT.aml anymore. Would this work? Did anybody do so? I remember this genius BuildSmart made crazy things with his BIOS to make it almost 99% Mac like, but sadly he left (was banned?) from this forum..

finally i got everything working. the usb install method worked. there seem to be more problems if you run the snow leopard installer from within leopard...

i followed the usb-install-guide (link posted by longtom in this thread) also got some advice from here: solar's guide (check out his old and his new guide!

another thing: in my experience fixing the permissions and creating the Extensions.mkexts is essential!

i don't know why, but my system still boots into 64 bit mode, no matter what i put into com.apple.boot.plist or at the chameleon boot prompt... but everything's working perfectly, so why bother to get 32 bit mode running ;-)

i finally build my own dsdt.aml (see attachment). hope this helps some people with the same configuration.

my dsdt.aml is for my ga-p35-ds3 rev. 1.0 mainboard. it is patched with sound and network working out of the box without any extra kexts!

got my geforce 7300gt 256mb working perfectly after creating a efi-string with efistudio and putting it into my com.apple.boot.plist.

so far i didn't get a single kernel panic!

:-)

Tried your DSDT since we have the same board and for the first time i see the "built-in audio " section of the system profiler with some info. but still if i go into system prefrences i dont have any outputs. except my usb audio card. What else did you do....?

Tried your DSDT since we have the same board and for the first time i see the "built-in audio " section of the system profiler with some info. but still if i go into system prefrences i dont have any outputs. except my usb audio card. What else did you do....?

you and se_dony DONT seem to have the same board. Looks like the same mistake DerPuma and me made some postings before...

you have a EP35-DS3L and he has P35 DS3

BIOSses between these boards are not compatible therefor the dsdt might not work for you like it should.

Everybody: I suggest to set up your signatures like me: with a link to our current BIOS versions. This will help all of us a lot. I feel this should be a forum rule :-)

check this Gigabyte Hardware Specification List for further information: http://www.incomplete-news.com/?p=2512

there are so many guides around. begin with the guide by blackosx. this will explain the generic procedure that will also do on your board. the rest can be found in this thread. And if not: please ask specific questions. It is quite too early for n00b compatible one-click-solutions. be aware: there is manual work necessary to make snow leopard work. see this list: http://news.metaparadigma.de/?p=2512 and post your hardware details in the comments section to make things easier for other people.

thanks.

i noticed something in my kernel panics:

no matter what kernel flags i put into com.apple.boot.plist and at the chameleon prompt:

before the panic in verbose mode it always says:

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25-1/RELEASE_I386

so it's enabling 64 bit mode but using the 32 bit kernel? is this right? weird...

thanks for the guide. i'm gonna try it right now.

I've exactlly the same problem (ga-p35-ds3l rev2, installed from the DVD in a 10,5,8 stable environnement to a second hard drive...)

SOLVED FOLLOWING THE GUIDE (sorry :unsure: ) just boot without -x32 :D

I bought snow leopard today, so I thought I'd get it installed (I have 10.5.7 running fine). Has anyone got it up and running with the same mobo as me? (see sig)

I'm going to try doing the DSDT patching business, is it best to patch an existing DSDT or generate a new one based on my bios?

Cheers!

I'd recommend creating a clean DSDT from the BIOS.

My suggestion:

- Download BIOS

- Flash BIOS (yes: do it again, no matter if it the BIOS revision you are currently running, I would do it anyway. Since I am a dev myself and I can tell lots of funny things with version numbers, you'd better not ask)

- use Koalala's DSDT Patcher (latest version should do) to extract DSDT from BIOS image

- patch DSDT.dsl with Koalala's patcher (some weird errors will occur, be prepped for a renaming chaos, since there is severe string-handling bug in Koalala's DSDT patcher)

- or (my recom): do it manually following the suggestions by that guy's tutorial here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903 (yes this is a different board, but the strategy to patch the dsdt he describes in his guide is applicable to any board)

- convert file from dos to unix (use ulraedit or anything)

- compile with iasl on mac's terminal "iasl dsdt.dsl"

- the most important thing to fix is the length bug in the dsdt's, otherwise your BIOS will be reset because of an annoying CMOS checksum error. Search for BlackOSX excellent guide, his guide also holds valuable information!

kudos

if you experience issues that you cannot solve using google just ask.

EP35-DS3P F6. Followed BOTH EP45-DS3L guides (DSDT, then Retail/Chameleon). When I boot the USB stick to try to install SL, it crunches along for a minute, then I get an all gray screen with a mouse arrow, and it hangs there. The arrow eventually changes to a spinning rainbow circle. I tried -v on boot, nothing obvious in the messages, then it goes to the gray screen and stays there.

What would you suspect? Can I resurrect this USB stick? How are the EP35-DS3P and EP45-DS3L different? Should I try changing the kexts in /Extra on the USB stick?

EP35-DS3P F6. Followed BOTH EP45-DS3L guides (DSDT, then Retail/Chameleon). When I boot the USB stick to try to install SL, it crunches along for a minute, then I get an all gray screen with a mouse arrow, and it hangs there. The arrow eventually changes to a spinning rainbow circle. I tried -v on boot, nothing obvious in the messages, then it goes to the gray screen and stays there.

What would you suspect? Can I resurrect this USB stick? How are the EP35-DS3P and EP45-DS3L different? Should I try changing the kexts in /Extra on the USB stick?

normally kext are the same, try only fakesmc.kext in extra, nothnig else.

normally kext are the same, try only fakesmc.kext in extra, nothnig else.

No change. I suspect my dsdt.aml. I tried moving it aside but this only gets me a KP pre-install. Now, there are two or 3 people that got the GA-EP35-DS3P going using the same guide. So it must be me. And, probably my DSDT and I suspect my graphics. I wonder if they can post their DSDT, or at least tell me how they created it. I have my Ether at PEX 5, my Graphics (7300GT 256MB) at PCI 0 (no PEGP), and put in 889a for audio. I put in the CMOS reset fix too.

----

EDIT: created a new DSDT. Same result, get some boot messages that look fine, in large then small fonts, goes to gray screen with arrow cursor, and hangs there. Tried the beta 4 this time. NIC: PEX 5, fix GP9, TM fix. Gfx:none. Sound 889a with HDEF. CMOS reset fix. Do you think its some permissions issue? Anything critical BIOS settings, they aren't really mentioned in the guide?

I'm so close it's painful.

I have SL running on a GA-EP35-DS3R.

The only remaining hurdle is sound. Following the posts in this thread, I installed ALCinject.kext -- I now have the sound volume. If I select line out, I can actually hear sound, but it's very, VERY quiet, even when I turn everything up all the way.

I know this isn't a hardware issue, because if I reboot into 10.5.7 it works fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm so close it's painful.

I have SL running on a GA-EP35-DS3R.

The only remaining hurdle is sound. Following the posts in this thread, I installed ALCinject.kext -- I now have the sound volume. If I select line out, I can actually hear sound, but it's very, VERY quiet, even when I turn everything up all the way.

I know this isn't a hardware issue, because if I reboot into 10.5.7 it works fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

Try this

No change. I suspect my dsdt.aml. I tried moving it aside but this only gets me a KP pre-install. Now, there are two or 3 people that got the GA-EP35-DS3P going using the same guide. So it must be me. And, probably my DSDT and I suspect my graphics. I wonder if they can post their DSDT, or at least tell me how they created it. I have my Ether at PEX 5, my Graphics (7300GT 256MB) at PCI 0 (no PEGP), and put in 889a for audio. I put in the CMOS reset fix too.

----

EDIT: created a new DSDT. Same result, get some boot messages that look fine, in large then small fonts, goes to gray screen with arrow cursor, and hangs there. Tried the beta 4 this time. NIC: PEX 5, fix GP9, TM fix. Gfx:none. Sound 889a with HDEF. CMOS reset fix. Do you think its some permissions issue? Anything critical BIOS settings, they aren't really mentioned in the guide?

Try this:

boot back in to Chameleon, highlight your SnowLeopard partition but then press the down arrow

and select ‘Single User’ mode to take you to the command line with root priviledges. This was

designed for system administrators to perform maintenance functions easily.

Wait for the command prompt, then type the following commands..

mount -uw

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Note: The bold statement should all be on one line with a space when the line break occurs

The reboot and try SnowLeopard again.

From blackosx guide

Derpuma,

If you would be so kind as to write a guide for us p35-ds3l users, it would be awesome and very appreciative.

Thanks,

p35-ds3l users over the world:)

I have SL 10.6 running in x64 mode perfectly on my P35-DS3L. one of the easiest install to date.

off-hand, the Kext I used, fakesmc, LeagacyHDA, SleepEnabler, OpenHaltRestart, UUIDPlalform, Sata and ATA (I will correct this after I check).

some notes and tips... only for P35-DS3L.

• fixing the UUID will solve a lot of problems..
  • you don't need 3rd party kext for network.. just need to fix the DSDT.. (bonjour works, time-machine not tested yet.)
  • you only need legacyHDA.kext for ALC888.. ( I am not particular about sound, if you are, you are better off with USB Audio)
  • Graphics work perfectly with EFI strings or a DSDT mod.
  • if you extract your DSDT from a bios file, make sure your System Bios address is correct (if it is 0xFFFFFF,FF or something like that is going to give you problem.)

I am not good with guides, but will try to outline my procedure and answer any questions.. (only for EP35-DS3L)

Cheers,

----

fixed your UUID yet???

I have managed to build a p35-ds3 system that is rock steady without any KP's which s great.

However I cant get graphic card to work correctly using DSDT of EFI strings its 8800GT 512 has any one had any joy with this card ?

Also no joy with sound of any kind.

One thing I've noticed is that I cannot get it to boot in 32 bit even after booting -x32 or changing boot.plist it always boots 64bit.

I use a atheros wireless card which works fine in 10.5.7 but dont seem to be able to get it to work in snow but I'm guessing this is a lack of 64bits drivers.

I followed BlackOSX guide for my build.

I have managed to build a p35-ds3 system that is rock steady without any KP's which s great.

However I cant get graphic card to work correctly using DSDT of EFI strings its 8800GT 512 has any one had any joy with this card ?

Also no joy with sound of any kind.

One thing I've noticed is that I cannot get it to boot in 32 bit even after booting -x32 or changing boot.plist it always boots 64bit.

I use a atheros wireless card which works fine in 10.5.7 but dont seem to be able to get it to work in snow but I'm guessing this is a lack of 64bits drivers.

I followed BlackOSX guide for my build.

Hi, this is strange not beeing able to boot in 32bit!

Are you sure your com.apple.boot.plis ist right?

If you are in 64bit, thats right - i guess sound will not work under 64bit.

Even with the right EFI String your card has to work.

Do you have a 10.5.x. with this setup running?

You can upload your Settings and i can have a look at it if you want to.

Derpuma,

If you would be so kind as to write a guide for us p35-ds3l users, it would be awesome and very appreciative.

Thanks,

p35-ds3l users over the world:)

Hey, sorry but I have a P35-DS3 without L, diffrent Bios and so my DSDT.aml would not work for you.

Also I have GRA and no Sound in my DSDT.aml.

It is not very hard to install OSX if you use blackosx guide as I did. So this guide is so good, that there is no need for me to write an own. Mine would do the exact things he did, except sound.

Very important ist the creating of a new mkext in single user mode (Blackosx guide)! That was my milestep into Snow! Sound can be installed with two kexts. ALCInject and HDAEnabler. Use Kexthelper for this both Kexts. HDSLegacy.kext must be deletet from E/E if you use this method!

BR and good luck!

Try this:

boot back in to Chameleon, highlight your SnowLeopard partition but then press the down arrow

and select ‘Single User’ mode to take you to the command line with root priviledges. This was

designed for system administrators to perform maintenance functions easily.

Wait for the command prompt, then type the following commands..

mount -uw

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Note: The bold statement should all be on one line with a space when the line break occurs

The reboot and try SnowLeopard again.

I have yet to complete the install... I hang while booting the USB stick... I see the target SL partition but there's nothing on it. I did run those commands against the Install partition on the USB stick... no change. Checked my partition UUID its fine.

Can I try your DSDT file. I have the same EP35-DS3P as in your sig, and I have a 9600GT I could swap in. Though I thought F6 was the latest BIOS for that mobo, where did you get F11? Also I notice there is no 9600GT in the graphics tab of Koalala's ACPI patcher, how are you handling that?

I have yet to complete the install... I hang while booting the USB stick... I see the target SL partition but there's nothing on it. I did run those commands against the Install partition on the USB stick... no change. Checked my partition UUID its fine.

Can I try your DSDT file. I have the same EP35-DS3P as in your sig, and I have a 9600GT I could swap in. Though I thought F6 was the latest BIOS for that mobo, where did you get F11?

BIOS Link for EP35-DS3P

F12 is latest.

Send me a PM with your email, I'll send you my dsdt. (it is without Grfx, i have my 9600GT 512mb in the com.apple.boot.plist).

BIOS Link for EP35-DS3P

F12 is latest.

Send me a PM with your email, I'll send you my dsdt. (it is without Grfx, i have my 9600GT 512mb in the com.apple.boot.plist).

Your sig says you have an EP-35... in your post you linked me to the F12 BIOS for the P-35 (P-, not EP-). Do you have an EP-35 and are running the P-35 BIOS on it? I have a GA-EP35-DS3P rev. 2.1.

I sent you my email if you can send me your DSDT. Also your com.apple.boot.plist would be interesting so I can see your 9600GT string. You just leave the graphics tab blank in the Koalala patcher, then get the 9600GT working using the plist?

I am really baffled. I just completely ran the directions again from the Koalala DSDT through the bootable USB. And I got the gray screen of death again. I seem to be the only person whose USB stick hangs before starting the install. Do you have to use 10.5.8? On the same system you're installing SL on? (I boot off an XP HD on the SL target machine to build the DSDT, but then go over to the machine in my sig to prep the USB stick). I'm sure I have a good SL, I installed it on my Apple Mac Mini and Azureus accepted it after checking it for seeding. Anything else I could be doing wrong or any other way to diagnose it?