Try to install SL on a GA-P35-DS3

derpuma

166 posts in this topic

Also no sound here on EP35-DS4 just like derpuma said, tried various LegacyHDA. When I use ALCInject.kext, I can select the outputs in Preferences, but still no sound...

TRy HDAEnabler.kext together wit ALCInject.kext

That worked for me on my P45-DS3!

Let me know if it works for U!

@se_dony

you might not take my DSDT.aml!

As I wrote in my readme, I have a GFX String in the file for my 8600 GT 256MB!

So this might be a problem...

i did not get the usb pen drive from above to boot (i do have to restore the dmg to the guid formated usb pen drive, right?)

things that might result in problems:

i never fixed or cared about any permissions on the disk. might this be a problem? what permissions should all the stuff in /Extra/ have?

i used the dsdt.aml from derpuma, he has the same mainboard i think. might this pose a problem?

actually

- use the diskutilty to restore to a USB stick of your choice (on your working leopard installation!)

- restore snow leo installation disk to a blank partition

- reboot your system: reboot to USB stick

- choose Mac OS X Installation partition to execute - does this work?

- if it does: simply install again. that is exactly what I am just doing aswell ;)

this game is like installing linux 10 years ago. installing, configuring to defect, re-installing, configuring to defect, re-installing... eventually it will work... but dont expect this too soon.

Here's the Kernel Panic many of us are getting:

"Mac OS Version not yet set"

SLGigabyteKernelPanic.jpg

can you boot into single mode? -s

If not check your uuid and kext caches!

So... for all who like to try my settings here is a little Package for GA-P35-DS3 Rev. 2.0

DSDT.aml with Nvidia 8600GT 256MB, LAN and Sound...

Read teh Readme in ZIP File for more Infos... Reports are welcome!

I have some KP with your files.

I am using my own dsdt.aml with HDEF audi w/o Grfx. Using EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist

Hi Guys.. you are doing great work here :(

I have just had a look at the last couple of posts with your pics of Kernel Panics... Are you using Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file?.. I use v10.1.... You'll get past this kernel panic with it.

I have just had a look at derpuma's download package and it doesn't include it.

i'm not sure if this is the problem, but i see in all those kernel panics that it's trying to load the 64 bit kernel.

as i said before i got the -x32 flag in my com.apple.boot.plist file and i tried also specifying it in chameleon. it just keeps booting the 64 bit kernel. why is that? any ideas?

@ blackosx: i've mostly been using your guide, with the 10.1 netkas boot file

@ derpuma: i finally build my own dsdt.aml. same problem, so it wasn't the dsdt.aml causing the panics

here is a thread where people are discussing the same problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181209

i'm not sure if this is the problem, but i see in all those kernel panics that it's trying to load the 64 bit kernel.

as i said before i got the -x32 flag in my com.apple.boot.plist file and i tried also specifying it in chameleon. it just keeps booting the 64 bit kernel. why is that? any ideas?

@ blackosx: i've mostly been using your guide, with the 10.1 netkas boot file

@ derpuma: i finally build my own dsdt.aml. same problem, so it wasn't the dsdt.aml causing the panics

here is a thread where people are discussing the same problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181209

How did you install snow?

From external Stick/HD?

the problem is, that i never got a snow leopard installation to boot. not the dvd, not a restored image to an usb-stick.

any good how to? all the guides i've seen so far install snow leopard from within leopard to a prepared disk/partition...

the problem is, that i never got a snow leopard installation to boot. not the dvd, not a restored image to an usb-stick.

any good how to? all the guides i've seen so far install snow leopard from within leopard to a prepared disk/partition...

Guide try this

i noticed something in my kernel panics:

no matter what kernel flags i put into com.apple.boot.plist and at the chameleon prompt:

before the panic in verbose mode it always says:

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25-1/RELEASE_I386

so it's enabling 64 bit mode but using the 32 bit kernel? is this right? weird...

thanks for the guide. i'm gonna try it right now.

post-8173-1251366513_thumb.jpg

To all having sound issues. The only thing needed to get sound working on these Gigabyte boards is a modified DSDT. No kexts, injectors, enablers. By modifying the DSDT I have line out (2.1) and digital out (5.1) working.

Open up your dsdt.dsl and search for AZAL. You should find it twice. Replace both with HDEF. Then for the section that says: Device (HDEF), replace it with the attached text (alc889a). Save and recompile to dsdt.aml. Place in /Extra or where ever you have your dsdt. Remove any non-vanilla audio kexts. reboot. Go to system prefs and select line out for output, or digital if thats what you use.

Issue- Pin configurations are not correct, line out comes out of my black speaker jack instead of green, but sounds good. There are a lot of different pin configs, I havent had time to try them.

Im sure there is a better way but this works and I am running SL with 0 modified kexts in my S/L/E which is what I am trying to do, to avoid any issues when the first update comes down from apple.

alc889a_dsdt.rtf

Hi Guys.. you are doing great work here :)

I have just had a look at the last couple of posts with your pics of Kernel Panics... Are you using Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file?.. I use v10.1.... You'll get past this kernel panic with it.

I have just had a look at derpuma's download package and it doesn't include it.

Thanks! Using PCI ECI v10.1 solved the kernel panic at boot.

However, now I have a kernel panic and the account setup screen. The KP comes when my USB webcam is initialized to take an account picture of me. I realize I could just unplug the webcam, but do I need different USB kext's?

To all having sound issues. The only thing needed to get sound working on these Gigabyte boards is a modified DSDT. No kexts, injectors, enablers. By modifying the DSDT I have line out (2.1) and digital out (5.1) working.

Open up your dsdt.dsl and search for AZAL. You should find it twice. Replace both with HDEF. Then for the section that says: Device (HDEF), replace it with the attached text (alc889a). Save and recompile to dsdt.aml. Place in /Extra or where ever you have your dsdt. Remove any non-vanilla audio kexts. reboot. Go to system prefs and select line out for output, or digital if thats what you use.

Issue- Pin configurations are not correct, line out comes out of my black speaker jack instead of green, but sounds good. There are a lot of different pin configs, I havent had time to try them.

Im sure there is a better way but this works and I am running SL with 0 modified kexts in my S/L/E which is what I am trying to do, to avoid any issues when the first update comes down from apple.

Great job tapper00, now I see the inputs and outputs of my onboard ALC889A sound WITHOUT any extra kext, still no sound output though... :wacko:

UPDATE: I also have sound via black output, just missed that part, GREAT, I can live with that :-)

I started my install on a clean drive after managing to get a workable install with, more or less, blackosx's guide. I deviated from my working install in the following ways:

1. Installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2 (is there a reason RC1 is preferred?)

2. Installed Chameleon on the drive's EFI partition as opposed to a separate HFS+ partition (but I did, in fact use the HFS+ EFI option for the chameleon install).

Once I did that, I just mounted that drives EFI partition and copied my boot file, and Extras folder over. KP with the 'version not set' errors like others have reported.

Now that I've typed all this out it seems rather likely this is a permissions problem from just copying the file over. As if the bootloader cannot read the com.apple.boot.plist....

I'm at work now....I'll try to correct permissions when I get home this evening.

@se_dony

hey, have you booted in Single user mode and done this?

First: mout -uw /

Then: sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions

And finally: sudo kextcache -l -v -t -m /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SL/System/Library/Extensions/

Also Try the 10.1 boot file from Netkas... You should have no Problems...

Anyway as i wrote in an earlier Posting - Take blackosx GUIDE and Files as basic Guide as I did...

I got my P35-DS3L rev1.0 working after doing what derpuma said in post #92. I booted in single user mod with -s -f -v and ran the command. After that I was able to boot. The DSDT.aml I generated with kolalala's ACPI patcher gave mi working sound (choose 888-2) and working network But I can get my Geforce 8600 GT 512mb to work with DSDT.aml. With efi strings genereated with EFIstudio it works.

Does any one know how to convert a working GFX EFI string into a DSDT.aml patch?

I also still checkin ICH9 not being reported corerctly, sleep, and restart. I will post any success I have in this thread.

That's working perfectly!

Now I've got GFX, Network and Sund working with DSDT!

I installed following blackosx guide on my P35-DS3P.... Prepared my dsdt without checking the last checkbox in dsdt patcher (the one about hdef). Then I decompiled the dsdt with iaslMe and fixed the CMOS reset problem and added the text tapper00 attached.

Audio is coming out from black jack.

Probably you wont get sound of the welcome video since you have to choose the right output in settings.

Guide try this

Thanks for the link Longtom.

I took the part about building a USB to boot from and used my files and it works..

Everybody, this is the way to go, I have not had a single KP since boot (37 mins ago)

:(

EDIT: I have updated my guide to include Snow's method for building a USB to install from.

the solution for the sound seems ok for the moment, I like it.

anybody here who understands pin configurations to make the dsdt hdef alc889a fix 100%?

has anybody solved the orange icons thing. or is this only my issue?

I found booting ximekonx USB booter that you can also use it to start the SNoe Leopard install image directly from harddisk and you can also run thru the whole prozess of acepting license terms, choosing drive etc. but soon after it eventually begins to copy the files to your disk the installation crashes with a kernel panic. anybody else experiencing this?

p.s. I suppose we should add our BIOS firmware revision numbers and the amount of memory in future when asking/telling something. I will add my infos as soon as I get back to my place...

I have a Gigaybe EP35 DS3Rv2.1 and i used this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=%20180954) guide which is for the EP45.

it bootsup fine in 64bits mode but i don't have sound or 'good' graphics. I patched the dtst.aml file but somehow i have the idea it doesn't load the dtst.aml (is there anyway to check this)? Is it possible to force to use the dtst file?

Greetinx Atze

i had some random KP after logging in.

now i am running only fakesmc in extra.

seems to be ok for now.

are there different kext out there for different mobos?

Edit: It seems that i have problem with the UUID kext.

Is it really needed?

the solution for the sound seems ok for the moment, I like it.

anybody here who understands pin configurations to make the dsdt hdef alc889a fix 100%?

has anybody solved the orange icons thing. or is this only my issue?

I found booting ximekonx USB booter that you can also use it to start the SNoe Leopard install image directly from harddisk and you can also run thru the whole prozess of acepting license terms, choosing drive etc. but soon after it eventually begins to copy the files to your disk the installation crashes with a kernel panic. anybody else experiencing this?

p.s. I suppose we should add our BIOS firmware revision numbers and the amount of memory in future when asking/telling something. I will add my infos as soon as I get back to my place...

Hi Nameless2k,

I had also Kernel Panic booting from Chameleon to a random Snow and get KP after a while in System! I think you should try to set the right UUIDs on your Stick, regarding to the partiion you would like to install SnowLeo or boot into! That solved my Problem...

Tell me if this works for your USB Booting...

BR

I had also Kernel Panic booting from Chameleon to a random Snow and get KP after a while in System! I think you should try to set the right UUIDs on your Stick, regarding to the partiion you would like to install SnowLeo or boot into! That solved my Problem...

does anyone know what kext is causing the kernel panics when the uuid is not being set properly?

is this a specific kext or how can we find out what causes the kp during ground up installation?

if this is a sole kext we might consider patching it and loading it from preboot environment to re-open the door for preboot cd's to be created :-))

installing from Leopard works without issues. I can also then use the USB solution to boot Snow Leopard - even with leaving the wrong UUID's in smbios.plist and platformuuid.kext in place - funny, isn't it?

anyway: tonight I have some spare time to add the UUIDs to the appropriate files and see if the ground up installation will work.

in the meantime: I added my BIOS version and link to Gigabyte's BIOS download page to my signature. I think it could make things a lot easier for all of us to do so, what do you think? I suppose exchange of dsdt.aml files might be easier and we can also locate errors a little faster.