[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I have tried that, install cham rc2 r640 from leopard, but when I set boot to that hard drive it only sees, the ipc and snow leopard install. Not the cham partition. So if i would boot that way wouldnt it use the extra folder from the ipc?

I can only support you if you have followed this guide. And this guide doesn't include having a distro previously installed on the HDD. I think you are right though and if iPC also has an extra folder then you now have a problem of which one to manage.

I can only boot using chamaleon RC1...

I have put all the kexts from this guide and did the guide as you mentioned except i used Cham RC1 cuz thats the only one that boots.

thanks for suppyling your details. But I stand by what I say that Netkas' PC EFI v10 or Chameleon v2 RC3 boot file are only things that will boot 10.6. You can't be using Chameleon v2 RC1.

ok well thanks for the help. The guide is great, this was the only way i could follow your guide though. (No usb, and no DL-dvds)

I have another hd now, but im pretty happy with the result right now. I think i can figure out my problem... maybe lol if not then I will start over. Easy now with dsdt all done :).

BTW I had to do a couple extra steps on the dsdt. For sleep to work without forcefully removing usb devices. (On p35 - ds3l)

Here is what i did for other p35 users:

And I finally got my sleep to function correctly, for P35 users. (Not forcefully removing usb devices now) With the op here http://www.insanelymac.com/for...x.php?showtopic=168014, and with another post in the same thread with 2 more small changes http://www.insanelymac.com/for...014&s...p=1247462 post #152, for snow leopard.

oops fixed link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1247462 and the op of that thread

ok well thanks for the help. The guide is great, this was the only way i could follow your guide though. (No usb, and no DL-dvds)

I have another hd now, but im pretty happy with the result right now. I think i can figure out my problem... maybe lol if not then I will start over. Easy now with dsdt all done :(.

BTW I had to do a couple extra steps on the dsdt. For sleep to work without forcefully removing usb devices. (On p35 - ds3l)

Here is what i did for other p35 users:

And I finally got my sleep to function correctly, for P35 users. (Not forcefully removing usb devices now) With the op here http://www.insanelymac.com/for...x.php?showtopic=168014, and with another post in the same thread with 2 more small changes http://www.insanelymac.com/for...014&s...p=1247462 post #152, for snow leopard.

Keypox, your linku rl="http://www.insanelymac.com/for...014&st=140&p=1247462 gives me an error. Can you please repost. Thx

Hi Blackosx

I installed snow leopard clean again. I installed Chamaleon v2 rc3 and the kexts from the support files and did the guide again. I still cant get it to boot. here is the verbose output :

post-293849-1253766718_thumb.jpg

I made a dsdt.aml clean, it only has the cmos fix and com.apple.boot file only has a different resolution on the flag. What can I do?

thanks again for all your help.

-uketommyv

Sorry uketommyv, but I don't know why it won't boot. There have been plenty of Q&A's in this thread regarding installs that won't boot. So if you haven't already, I would suggest flicking through it.

Maybe it is as simple as your video card causing the problem? can you try a different one to rule this out? Maybe even try using Netkas' PC EFI v10.1 (or even 10.3) boot file instead if Chameleon v2 RC3's?

Blackosx,

The installation is rock solid, I have tested it for a week, so I have a question. Is it possible to move the contents of Cham parition to an EFI partition? If so, do I just reinstall the Chameleon to an EFI partition and then mount it and move everything from the Cham partition to EFI? Will it work?

Also, has anybody experienced choppy video problem when watching FullHD movies? I have nVidia 9800gtx 512, and the FullHD is very choppy for a while, then good then choppy again. I use VLC, lates version.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Litvan

Yes, you can format and install Chameleon to your EFI partition. Then copy everything that's currently in your Cham partition over to the EFI partition in Terminal, then erase the Cham partition using Disk Utility. Be sure to have a working BootCD or a bootable USB just incase you don't get it right so you can still boot your machine. The only issue you will then have is how to get rid of the Cham partition from the partition map.

What format are your HD movies? As I can play HD movies from .mkv files in Movist easily (though the only ones I have tried have been 720p not 1080p).

Thank you, Blackosx! You are right, the Cham partition will still be on the map, so there is no point in moving to EFI. Afterall, it is much easier to tweak the Cham partition then EFI.

I play mkv. I will try the player you suggest. 720p play like a charm, nice and smooth. But not the 1080 and this is frustrating:( Is it possible that the machine cannot utilize the GPU to the full? Because my laptop pc has a 8600m gt and it plays 1080 with no problems. I will keep searching and post if I find anything.

Thanks for reporting it works on your EP45-DS3L Litvan. Are you using BIOS F10?

And does your mouse run through your keyboard, or plugged directly in to the case?

I agree it's strange your keyboard doesn't let you wake up as it is an Apple one.. :)

EDIT: But from the link I posted, most other users also report that it only seems to work from their mouse and not keyboard.

I can wake from my usb Logitech mx5000 keyboard or mouse but not my aluminum usb apple keyboard.

Ok just followed the instructions in the PDF to a T and when i reboot i get KP.. I've attached a screen cap from the -v boot up..

I'm running a Dell Precision 390 system..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chris

hi,

got the same KP with my EP43-DS3.

bad or incorrect Chameleon RC3 install --> little bit tricky.

just reinstall Chameleon RC3 boot file as described in the guide! it's a good idea to copy and paste the exact commands with the (appropriate/blank) spaces from the supplied PDF guide in the Terminal.

this should lead you to a bootable and functional OS X 10.6.

wish you good luck :(:)

I play mkv. I will try the player you suggest. 720p play like a charm, nice and smooth. But not the 1080 and this is frustrating.

I will be interested in hearing how you get on with playing 1080p mkv files in Movist.

Ok just followed the instructions in the PDF to a T and when i reboot i get KP.. I've attached a screen cap from the -v boot up......I'm running a Dell Precision 390 system..

Hi Chris_sirhC, have a read through this thread as KP's at boot have been covered many times. But you might want to read a thread dedicated for Dell systems just in case there are any specific bits you need to know.

I can wake from my usb Logitech mx5000 keyboard or mouse but not my aluminum usb apple keyboard.

Okay, Thanks flyguyjake.

Maybe someone could start a new thread to compile a list of keyboard & mice that work/don't work with regard to waking from sleep? Just a thought :P

Maybe someone could start a new thread to compile a list of keyboard & mice that work/don't work with regard to waking from sleep? Just a thought :P

That's not needed. Me and EnzoFX already confirmed here that issue is with USB 2.0 devices. Waking up with mentioned DSDT fix works fine with USB 1.0 devices. That's why it is working with only some keyboards/mice.

Hi titan4. Thanks and yeah, it was also mentioned by tuxainer in the original link I posted.. But my keyboard is USB1 and I can't use it to wake up from sleep. It doesn't really bother me as the waking with the power button on the case is fine. It's more for curiosity.

I play mkv. I will try the player you suggest. 720p play like a charm, nice and smooth. But not the 1080 and this is frustrating:( Is it possible that the machine cannot utilize the GPU to the full? Because my laptop pc has a 8600m gt and it plays 1080 with no problems. I will keep searching and post if I find anything.

VLC does not utilize the GPU at all (no hardware accelaration), so you'll need a strong CPU for those 1080p files. I don't think OSX has any software that uses hardware acceleration for video playback, so you'll have to use Windows with something like PowerDVD if you want your GPU to do the work. For OSX I'd recommend CorePlayer, from this website: www.coreavc.com (seems to be down at the moment). Should be much better for your HD files than VLC.

VLC does not utilize the GPU at all (no hardware accelaration), so you'll need a strong CPU for those 1080p files. I don't think OSX has any software that uses hardware acceleration for video playback, so you'll have to use Windows with something like PowerDVD if you want your GPU to do the work. For OSX I'd recommend CorePlayer, from this website: www.coreavc.com (seems to be down at the moment). Should be much better for your HD files than VLC.

Thank you, Cinner!! It makes perfect sense now. I am away from my desktop to test CorePlayer, but I will try it on Monday and post the results. I really like to watch movies in HiDef, so it is so frustrating not to be able to do it on my Hack/Mac :rolleyes: and I don't feel like going back to Windows for that sake.

BTW, how do you find Creative Xmode sound card? I am considering it as a fast way of getting better sound as opposed to the integrated sound card. Is it worth it for two stereo channels?

Thanks!

Hey guys

I have a problem. I followed you guide for DSDT and the installation guide for Snowleopard. But snoleopard does not boot. It hangs at the message:

System uptime in nan0seconds: XXXXXXXXXXX

There before are some messages:

Debugger called. <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Adress (4 potential args on stack)

The messages appear very early at boot time, round about a second after selecting in boot menu.

System:

Q6600

EP-45 DS3L

4GB Ram

8600 GT 512 MB

I hope anyone can help me :whistle:

greetz

gdfan

This is answer from Rednous few post earlier(I think it can help you):

hi,

got the same KP with my EP43-DS3.

bad or incorrect Chameleon RC3 install --> little bit tricky.

just reinstall Chameleon RC3 boot file as described in the guide! it's a good idea to copy and paste the exact commands with the (appropriate/blank) spaces from the supplied PDF guide in the Terminal.

this should lead you to a bootable and functional OS X 10.6.

wish you good luck thumbsup_anim.gif smile.gif

If anyone is interested, I have just sussed loading one set of kexts for 10.5 and another set for 10.6 from Chameleon RC3, so you can now have 10.5 & 10.6 on the same HDD.

All you need is to have you Extra folder looking like this...

post-331032-1253949595_thumb.png

If anyone is interested, I have just sussed loading one set of kexts for 10.5 and another set for 10.6 from Chameleon RC3, so you can now have 10.5 & 10.6 on the same HDD.

Interesting,

I have 10.5.7 on a separate hard drive using Chamelon 1.1, and now Chamelon 2.0 RC3 boot it even better than before using the extra kext set for 10.6

Thanks for the tip but where is your Extensions.mkext for 10.5 and 10.6 ?