[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi sneezymarble

Well done and thanks for posting your variation of the install. :)

You can run your system without a SMBIOS.plist but I haven't done so enough to see what stability issues, if any, exist etc.

Distro's have their place but if your hardware is capable of running retail then personally it's the only way to go.

@LeRebel - Thanks for supplying your DSDT fix for USB Keyboard & Mouse wakeup. You haven't said what mobo you're using as I have tried this fix from tuxianer before, which is the same, but I can't get it to work on my system.

@Litvan - Congratulations on your successful install :P

@Bero - Congratulations to you too and well done using Netkas' PC EFI v10.3 and reporting success with it. I have updated the front page to show this and provided a link to your post and instructions of what you did :P I don't think I can use this new boot file to make a BootCD as I need a cdboot file instead which will read from the Optical Drive.

Hi,

I found a solution to wakeup from USB keyboard or mouse press. It's just a case of patching your DSDT to rectify the USB devices power states:

Device (USB0)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x03,
                   [b][color="#ff0000"]0x03   <----- Ensure this says0x03 [/color][/b]
               })
           }

I am not sure this will work on all boards, but it has done the trick for me. Simply edit all your USB entries with the above code. This doesn't however fix wakeup with bluetooth devices :-( I am not sure how to do this, it seems my bluetooth dongle completely switches off during sleep, maybe someone else knows.

Hope this helps someone if it hasn't already been posted.

I tried this on GA-EP45-DS3L mobo. Changed all the USB devices lines in the dstd for the 0x03 that LeRebel suggested. It worked for my mouse, but not my Apple keyboard (the only original Apple piece of hardware that my machine has:) I thought maybe it was the usb port and not the mouse, so switched the mouse and the kboard but it was still the mouse that could wake up my mac from sleep but not the kboard. Very strange.

Thanks for reporting it works on your EP45-DS3L Litvan. Are you using BIOS F10?

And does your mouse run through your keyboard, or plugged directly in to the case?

I agree it's strange your keyboard doesn't let you wake up as it is an Apple one.. :unsure:

EDIT: But from the link I posted, most other users also report that it only seems to work from their mouse and not keyboard.

I would like to report my success (again!) using blackosx's excellent guides and thank him (and Netkas) for their contributions. *bow*

I will just outline what I did, mostly to just to make clearer how I deviated from the guides to accommodate my Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB graphics card. I think it will be of interest to most ATI card users, as I was unable to install SL for a long time before solving the problem. Here are everything I did to get a working 32-bit SL system, starting with a working 10.5.8 system on another HD:

1. Prepare and test on 10.5.8 a DSTD.aml with the RTC fix following blackosx's DSDT guide. Mine doesn't have a graphics card fix since 4870 is not covered by the utility, but does have a cosmetic EHCI fix.
  2. Format the drive on SATA port 0 as GUID with Chameleon, SL1, SL2, SL3, DVD partitions.
  3. Restore a gold master retail dvd .dmg to the DVD partition.
  4. Install Chameleon RC2/3 into the Chameleon partition following blackosx's guide.
  5. Install the kexts from the support files, fix ownerships on the Chameleon partition.
  6. Edit SMBIOS and platformUUID.kext following the guide.

Now, if I try to boot this system (or the BootCD, or a USB boot disk; I have tried them all) the retail install DVD hangs at around ethernet card initialization. For a long time, I thought it was related to fakeSMC.kext because I could boot with -s flag, which is typical of a fakesmc/dsmos/appledecrypt problem (or so says the mighty Google). I tried every variation of kexts/BIOS settings that I could think of, but nothing worked. Then I decided to try the new PC EFI 10.3 boot file from Netkas:

1. Replace the 'boot' file in Chameleon partition with the Netkas' PC EFI 10.3 boot file.
  2. Edit Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to include:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Boot, and behold! The install dvd partition booted, and installation onto SL1 went smoothly. Booted into a gorgeous 1920x1200 screen even without setting the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist. I have been busy installing my usual apps and doing my usual customizations, and I haven't seen a single hiccup so far.

In short, the PC EFI 10.3 'boot' file automagically initializes my 4870 correctly, and allows me to use a totally untouched /S/L/E (and without any other EFI/DSDT fix) which I couldn't do in 10.5. (Big thanks to Netkas.) I wonder if blackosx would consider using it on the BootCD or maybe provide an alternative BootCD for ATI users.

Caveats: I have no idea if 64-bit, sleep, or dual monitor setups work since I do not use them. Sound and network work fine. Oh, and I couldn't read the pages 35-50 or so of this thread, so if this is duplicate info, sorry.

bero,

Just to confirm you did not use the EVOEnabler.kext or the ATY_INT.kext in your /E/E correct? Or it you could provide a screenshot of your Cham partition.

Thanks,

Dora

Have you tried changing iMac8,1 to MacPro1,1 in smbios, as mentioned few times in this thread ? I am using Digital Output so I never had any glitches, but I heard this might help.

I can confirm that this change worked for me too on a EP45-DS3L. No more crackling audio sounds after inactivity. I think my Snow Leopard install is now 100% perfect (at least everything that I personally use works 100% and is also rock solid stable). No kernel panics in over a week. Thanks again to blackosx for his guide!

Hey blackosx I'm going to use your guide to update from Leopard to Snow Leopard in about a week and I just wanted to make a quick suggestion. At the top where you post your news it would be great if you could also date the news when you post it up as I read your first post about once a week and I'm unsure if the update is something I've already read or not. But other than that keep up the good work and I look forward to using your guide!

Just to confirm you did not use the EVOEnabler.kext or the ATY_INT.kext in your /E/E correct? Or it you could provide a screenshot of your Cham partition.

Correct, no graphics related kext in /E/E (or in /S/L/E), just the ones that blackosx provides in the support files. That's what makes it so magical. The 'injector' or 'enabler' is in the 'boot' file. ;)

Can someone tell me how to make the cham partition active? Or do I need to do that? fdisk in mac isnt showing all my partitions. I could use windows but not sure if its needed? Right now i think my ipc is the active partition. Though my blackosx 10.6.1 boots great from usb drive (with all kexts, dsdt and such on it).

Is there anyway to use the cham partition now? I had ipc already install when i install snow. Didnt want to completely lose all partitions...

@snifferpro - Yes, those messages are normal :)

@kingdom1 - Good suggestion, I will add a date to the news postings on the front page. Thanks :)

@uketommyv - You say you have installed Chameleon RC2 to see if you can get your video card working... What install are you using? as if you had followed this guide then you will already have Chameleon v2 RC3 r658 installed. Where you not using Chameleon before?

@keypox - If you install Chameleon v2 RC2 r640 with the package installer from Leopard, it will automatically set the required partition active.

Regarding that USB wake-up fix, I think it work only with some devices. It worked fine with my old keyboard (Logitech G15) but not working with Apple Keyboard. It doesn't work with my Roccat Kone mouse as well. What I was thinking is that it maybe works only with USB 1.0 devices and not with USB 2.0 devices.

I would like to report my success (again!) using blackosx's excellent guides and thank him (and Netkas) for their contributions. *bow*

I will just outline what I did, mostly to just to make clearer how I deviated from the guides to accommodate my Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB graphics card. I think it will be of interest to most ATI card users, as I was unable to install SL for a long time before solving the problem. Here are everything I did to get a working 32-bit SL system, starting with a working 10.5.8 system on another HD:

1. Prepare and test on 10.5.8 a DSTD.aml with the RTC fix following blackosx's DSDT guide. Mine doesn't have a graphics card fix since 4870 is not covered by the utility, but does have a cosmetic EHCI fix.
  2. Format the drive on SATA port 0 as GUID with Chameleon, SL1, SL2, SL3, DVD partitions.
  3. Restore a gold master retail dvd .dmg to the DVD partition.
  4. Install Chameleon RC2/3 into the Chameleon partition following blackosx's guide.
  5. Install the kexts from the support files, fix ownerships on the Chameleon partition.
  6. Edit SMBIOS and platformUUID.kext following the guide.

Now, if I try to boot this system (or the BootCD, or a USB boot disk; I have tried them all) the retail install DVD hangs at around ethernet card initialization. For a long time, I thought it was related to fakeSMC.kext because I could boot with -s flag, which is typical of a fakesmc/dsmos/appledecrypt problem (or so says the mighty Google). I tried every variation of kexts/BIOS settings that I could think of, but nothing worked. Then I decided to try the new PC EFI 10.3 boot file from Netkas:

1. Replace the 'boot' file in Chameleon partition with the Netkas' PC EFI 10.3 boot file.
  2. Edit Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to include:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Boot, and behold! The install dvd partition booted, and installation onto SL1 went smoothly. Booted into a gorgeous 1920x1200 screen even without setting the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist. I have been busy installing my usual apps and doing my usual customizations, and I haven't seen a single hiccup so far.

In short, the PC EFI 10.3 'boot' file automagically initializes my 4870 correctly, and allows me to use a totally untouched /S/L/E (and without any other EFI/DSDT fix) which I couldn't do in 10.5. (Big thanks to Netkas.) I wonder if blackosx would consider using it on the BootCD or maybe provide an alternative BootCD for ATI users.

Caveats: I have no idea if 64-bit, sleep, or dual monitor setups work since I do not use them. Sound and network work fine. Oh, and I couldn't read the pages 35-50 or so of this thread, so if this is duplicate info, sorry.

Hi, thank you for this, will try it in the evening. do you think it will work with 4870x2? I've tried quite a few different combinations but no luck.

titan4:

You are correct, it does not work with USB 2.0 Devices. This is being experienced by most ppl I believe. Some are looking into it to see if that too can be fixed through dsdt, but don't know how well that will go.

You can test this by disabling usb 2.0 in your BIOS, which will probably only give you like 2 usable usb ports, running at 1.1. It will then work to wake from sleep. Not much of a fix I know =/

Hi there !

Back from a long break away from the forum but here I am.

A question for you guys, I've installed my OSX according to the guide and I can confirm again that it's rock stable.

I also have Windows XP on a separate HD. I can boot into my XP through the boot device selection but not through chameleon.

Any idea why ?

Hi philippebezoteaux

Rocksteady at voodooprojects forum; Chameleon's home, has put together a fantastic FAQ which you can find here....

h t t p://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,754.0.html

I have just done a quick search of the FAQ and it points to this thread which might hopefully help you...

h t t p://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,298.0.html

Yes I have SH-223 and i am pretty certain that is the reason, however I have sleep for hard drives disabled and that had no effect. I haven't tried leaving leaving disk in drive, but honestly that is stupid solution. I would rather go and buy new dvd drive, like Optiarc mentioned in EnzoFX's thread.

Hi again,

Too bad: I couldn't get the sleep on idle to work even when I unplugged my DVD drive, neither on 10.5.7, nor on 10.6.1. Sleep for hardrive disabled didn't change anything neither :thumbsup_anim:

hey blackosx,

1st off all , thanks for making this guide. I cant get chamaleon rc2 or rc3 to boot. the only one that i can use is chamaleon rc1 nothing else boots. so i wanted to test out rc2 to see if i can get QE with my gtx 285 but i cant get it to boot. i posted the pic of with the verbose output to see if somebody can take a look at it. what do you think is going on. thanks for your time. :(

-Tom

1st off all , thanks for making this guide. I cant get chamaleon rc2 or rc3 to boot. the only one that i can use is chamaleon rc1 nothing else boots. so i wanted to test out rc2 to see if i can get QE with my gtx 285 but i cant get it to boot. i posted the pic of with the verbose output to see if somebody can take a look at it. what do you think is going on.

So using this motherboard, this guide, and the Support Files you can't get your system to boot, but if you go back to using Chameleon v2 RC1 r431 it will boot?

So if you use Chameleon v2 RC1 r431 to boot your system, what are you using to enable your GTX 285? and what are you doing differently when you are using RC2 or RC3?

Someone here is using NVInject with Chameleon v2 RC2 if that helps.

Hi, thank you for this, will try it in the evening. do you think it will work with 4870x2? I've tried quite a few different combinations but no luck.

I believe 4870x2 and other 'exotic' 48x0 cards need some additional drivers or at least minor tweaking. Check the latest posts on Netkas' blog with the tag 'ATI'.

@keypox - If you install Chameleon v2 RC2 r640 with the package installer from Leopard, it will automatically set the required partition active.

thanks for the reply.

I have tried that, install cham rc2 r640 from leopard, but when I set boot to that hard drive it only sees, the ipc and snow leopard install. Not the cham partition. So if i would boot that way wouldnt it use the extra folder from the ipc?

here is a pic of how i have them partitioned now.

http://tinypic.com/r/159fzo/4

Hi blackosx

Thanks for your time. Im not doing anything different ,I've tried just switching the boot file , between RC1 and RC2 and RC3 and the only one that boots, its RC1. When i boot in rc1, i do get video. just the default settings at 1024x768 no QE CI. I think i tried that guide you mentioned. but im going to try it again along with RC2 and see what happens. Im going to boot into RC3 and post the verbose, maybe im missing something. thanks though for your time. :P

-uketommyv

hey blackosx,

1st off all , thanks for making this guide. I cant get chamaleon rc2 or rc3 to boot. the only one that i can use is chamaleon rc1 nothing else boots. so i wanted to test out rc2 to see if i can get QE with my gtx 285 but i cant get it to boot. i posted the pic of with the verbose output to see if somebody can take a look at it. what do you think is going on. thanks for your time. :D

-Tom

Hold on, you can only boot Snow Leopard with either Netkas' PC EFI v10 or Chameleon v2 RC3. What hardware are you running?

Hi Blackosx,

I can only boot using chamaleon RC1. Here is what im using.

Gigabyte GA-EP45 DS3L (F10 BIOS)

Intel quad core Q6600 at 2.4Ghz

Asus Nvidia GTX 285 1gb

4gb ddr2 ram at 1066mhz.

I have put all the kexts from this guide and did the guide as you mentioned except i used Cham RC1 cuz thats the only one that boots.

thanks for your time.

-uketommyv

Hi Blackosx,

Thanks for your time. Im going to double check that. I cant boot with RC2 or RC3 though, so once I get home . Ill try booting with RC3 and post the verbose output. If i cant get it to run Ill reinstall snow and start from scratch. Thanks again :D

-uketommyv