[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

From what I can gather, aside from some tricky nature of finding the embedded dmg to setup an installer, the rest is as straightforward as installing SL? I'll have to give it a shot with Black's latest files =).

Does anyone know if the latest, included version of Cham here 1156? Include the ATI graphics cards compatibility added by Kabyl? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

Or do I need to wait for that to be updated as well... Hopefully not!

Assuming you are installing to an additional partition it's pretty easy to setup especially as you already have a Chameleon partition that can be used. Once you have copied the files to USB and done the required mods you just need a mach_kernel copying into the root of the prepared USB stick, MaLd0n posted a link to a program that does this for you, just delete the /Extra folder it creates as it's not needed with black's method.

For testing, I just resized my Snow Leopard partition and created a blank Lion one. Upon rebooting with the prepared USB stick installed choose it in Chameleon and away you go.

Yeah that was my impression, though I'm having trouble booting the stick. I believe this may be due to the fact that I'm using an ATI card that needs adding a deviceID to the right kext. So this leads me to believe that Kabyls ATI functionality has not been added this version of Chameleon? Don't know =P.

First time it was halting at waiting for dsmos, I swapped out fakesmc for the one in these support files and now it just halts at a line that doesn't stand out to me, no kp or anything like that. I might give it a go with swapping graphics cards to a more supported nvidia one.

Edit: Success booting the installer! I suspected it was this ATI card (really want to upgrade to something more compatible!). With the 10.6.7 update there was some solid ATI support from OS X, this was carried over AFAIK to Lion. It allows a lot of cards to work without any injection (pretty sweet). Remembering this, I simply set graphics_enabler=No, and it booted up fine. I am of course booting in safe mode as well.

Got this bluetooth dongle http://amzn.to/oAWNol.

I thought I could simply hook it up, do a reboot and get ir reconized by may Hackintosh. I did not go like that. Do I need specific kexts, DSDT configs to enable bluetooth?

I currently am running 10.6.7, following blackos install instructions.

Tks!

I installed Lion without a hitch, and is working great after patching the audio kext w/ kext helper. I used blackosx guide to install retail 10.6.3, upgraded to 10.6.8 via updates, and then followed this guide to install Lion

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

I already had an existing osx install, so I didn;t have to mess with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I used the audio kext provided in the support files, same one that worked with 10.6.8. The install went without any hiccups or problems, booted first time and it's great.

Im using an ep35-ds3l, q6600, 8800gt.

Hope this can help someone.

nice work nate. would u be able to post your smbios.plist for me? im wondering if maybe i have something off in there, hence why i cant download and install lion.

Here ya go, as requested. I don't think I edited this one much. I did have to add some stuff to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist to get 10.6.8 working, let me know if that would be helpful.. Good luck!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>INSERTYOURSHERE</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacPro</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Could anyone help me with figuring out what I have done? I upgraded one of my 10.6.7s to 10.6.8 and lost audio.

I am having trouble remembering how I had audio implemented. I have an EP45-DS3L and am just using my rear line out.

I am running Cham 2.5 RC5 r731 on its own partition. I only have 3 extensions in Extras, FakeSMC, IONetworkingFamily, and OrangeIconFIX.

Here is my boot.plist. and then I have a bunch of Binary under device-properties at the end.

I think I implemented audio by editing the DSDT, adding that stuff at the end if boot.plist and modifying AppleHDA. Does that sound right? After updating, I've lost audio, and I am trying to figure out either a new way to enable audio that will work with 10.6.8 & 10.7 or how to edit what I already have in place to get it to work again. Can I just re-edit AppleHDA? since that maybe is the only file that has changed? I don't think I am using any LegacyHDA or any extra Kexts for audio right now. If I use the supplied Kext in this forum now for audio, do I need to undo something in my DSDT and boot plist for that kext to work or do I just drop it in there?

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>a902000001000000020000005e0200000d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000010101060000007fff04001e00000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e0000002d0000006e5669646961204765466f72636520393430304754204f70656e474c20456e67696e65205b454..... etc

Hi BlackOSX, looks like you have added a mobo and new system, is there a guide that you have, and is this what you are going to move forward with in the future? If not are you sticking with the same mobo?

Thanks

Good Morning to all.

As lensboard noted, yesterday I added a secondary footer in my signature as I was in the process of changing my hardware. Today the signature shows I no longer have my Gigabyte EP45-DS3L up and running as I have now moved to using an Asus board. This wasn't something I was planning but after being offered dgsga's board/cpu for a very tempting price I wasn't going to turn it down.

So where does it leave this topic?

The simple fact is that now Lion is out in the wild this two year long topic on how to install Snow Leopard has served it's purpose and naturally reached the end of it's life. It had to happen one day and I feel that day is now. But at least I can leave this topic in the knowledge that the PDF guides and Support Files here are up to date for installing 10.6.0 thru 10.6.8 on the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Will I be creating a 10.7 installation guide?

In a word - No.

I've come to realise that I've had less and less time in the last year to keep this topic up to date, let alone a new one and there are a couple of installations guides on this forum already, for example (here and here) without the need for another, though personally I recommend using Conti's excellent myhack.

Having said that, for those who want the manual installation, there are some links in the news section on the front page of this topic to help with installation, audio, network and the CMOS reset issue. The installation steps were added for the 10.7 developer preview 2, but I've tried to quickly patch it to make it current, though the two other installation guides link to earlier are well worth a look.

What's my new hardware compared to the good 'ol EP45-DS3L?

Well it's pretty much two years old so it's not cutting edge but then it's newer than my previous system. I've only had the machine up and running since Friday evening so I've got plenty to learn about it but already I see a geekench score or 9500 compared to a previous 4500. The Asus board takes longer to POST, though once done so there's no wait for the BIOS to present the AHCI devices and selecting restart from OS X takes longer for that to happen compared to the Gigabyte.

So where does this leave all the followers of this topic?

Hopefully I've explained enough in the PDF guides and in my replies here to have given you all the basic knowledge to carry on using your systems. I've only learned what I know by reading, and testing ideas, solutions and suggestions from other users. If you have a question about your Snow Leopard install then your first stop will be to search this topic, then other topics either at Insanely using the built in search or other forums with the help of the ever useful Google.

The last two years have been fun, though it's taken a lot of my time so I am going to enjoy taking more of a back seat for a while. If somebody else wants to pick up from here and carry on then feel free, but just try to keep the ideas and info simple, together with some explanations rather than just point to using a tonymac or kakewalk install where new users don't really understand what gets installed, how, where and why.

So thanks for all the support I've received here from you guys and everywhere else I've visited. And thanks to all the wiser, knowledgeable users and coders creating all the fixes, tools and methods necessary that allow us to run our machines. So although I'm leaving this topic, I'll still be around lurking. :)

Blackosx, thank you for all of your time spent helping everyone, and leave knowing that all of us old school ds3l's are envious of your new rig. :D

Could anyone help me with figuring out what I have done? I upgraded one of my 10.6.7s to 10.6.8 and lost audio.

I am having trouble remembering how I had audio implemented. I have an EP45-DS3L and am just using my rear line out.

I am running Cham 2.5 RC5 r731 on its own partition. I only have 3 extensions in Extras, FakeSMC, IONetworkingFamily, and OrangeIconFIX.

Here is my boot.plist. and then I have a bunch of Binary under device-properties at the end.

I think I implemented audio by editing the DSDT, adding that stuff at the end if boot.plist and modifying AppleHDA. Does that sound right? After updating, I've lost audio, and I am trying to figure out either a new way to enable audio that will work with 10.6.8 & 10.7 or how to edit what I already have in place to get it to work again. Can I just re-edit AppleHDA? since that maybe is the only file that has changed? I don't think I am using any LegacyHDA or any extra Kexts for audio right now. If I use the supplied Kext in this forum now for audio, do I need to undo something in my DSDT and boot plist for that kext to work or do I just drop it in there?

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>a902000001000000020000005e0200000d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000010101060000007fff04001e00000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e0000002d0000006e5669646961204765466f72636520393430304754204f70656e474c20456e67696e65205b454..... etc

I was having trouble with the audio too, but there is a simple solution. Donwload "kext helper" and the latest support files from blackosx. Then drag the 10.6.8 audio kext into "kext helper", type system password in, and hit apply. This has worked for me in 10.6.6 and 10.7.

Thanks Black for your great guides. Even though they are primarily for

Gigabyte boards, I did use your guide for an ASUS P5Q3 board and it worked

fine. I had to use VooDooHDA for my sound but everything else worked

out of the box.

I used this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260594

to install Lion on my P5Q3 with no hassle at all. Followed the guide and was up

and running in less than 30 minutes. Again though, I had to add VooDoo for sound.

Also, the Ralink wireless does not work yet as Ralink has not come out yet with

drivers for Lion.

I used the above guide to install to a new hard drive to avoid any issues with

my Snow Leopard hack. I also created a bootable Lion DVD to install from in

the future if need be.

Hope this helps someone as it did me. Lion install was much easier than Snow.

Good luck Black in your new endeavors.

I too thank you for your hard work! Though you've made a lot of people's hack, you've also educated us along, I know many of us apply what we learn here to all of our various hacks. =)

Congrats on the new hardware! I myself am waiting for proper SandyBridge support hehe, those new EFI boards are pretty sweet when it comes to POST/boot up time. Maybe next year when Intel finally integrates USB 3.0 into all their chipsets, and who knows, maybe a thunderbolt port? =P

blackosx,

Bummer that you will be seen less on this forum and even though I fully understand your decision I'm not happy about it! :):D

Yes we can all find the info on how to install and fix our rigs but you really have a talent of explaining, educating us, and putting together all the info in a very clear, readable and logical manner that not many others can.

Thanks again for all your help and time!

Best regards,

John

Hello all,

I am probably facing a hardware issue, just need to check with you if it is the case.

My board is showing a strange reboot problem. Everytime I reboot the machine, or power it on, the machine would try to boot, get stuck after the message "Memory runs at dual channel interleaved" and reboots itself, sometimes going as far as powering off (no fans, no PHASE LED) to power it back (alone!) and try it again.

Eventually, the machine boots, loads Snow Leopard without a problem and works with no problem.

I fear it may be the first signs of death for my MoBo.

Anyone ever saw something similar?

PS: blackosx: cheers and a big thank you for all your support given in this thread. I would say better support I ever saw in my 20+ years in computing :rolleyes:. Have fun and luck with your new setup.