10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

@pista7

What do you think about this message?

It's normal for this message to appear when you use Disabler or a similar kext to suppress AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. It has no direct relation to SleepEnabler.

Which brings me to a fact, that many people here seem to attribute various positive and/or negative effects to SleepEnabler.kext. However, the kext really does nothing that could have such effects (for those who can read source code, just look at it and you'll see) - it simply provides 'fake' or 'empty' implementation for callbacks normally implemented by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - which is why the two can't live together, but they also never need to - if you have AICPM running, you definitely don't need SleepEnabler.kext and vice versa.

Or, put differently - 10.5.8 kernel + SleepEnabler = roughly 10.5.7 kernel ^_^ All other effects on hibernation/safe sleep/wakeup/wireless/display/Idon'tknowwhatelse can be only attributed to other changes in 10.5.8, or for example the fact that many people modified their DSDTs to be able to run AICPM before SleepEnabler has been written, or pretty much anything else in the universe except SleepEnabler.kext :hysterical:

Which brings me to a fact, that many people here seem to attribute various positive and/or negative effects to SleepEnabler.kext. However, the kext really does nothing that could have such effects (for those who can read source code, just look at it and you'll see) - it simply provides 'fake' or 'empty' implementation for callbacks normally implemented by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - which is why the two can't live together, but they also never need to - if you have AICPM running, you definitely don't need SleepEnabler.kext and vice versa.
I'm using a Gigabye GA-EX58-UD5 MB (Intel Nehalem architecture) and if I set ACPI suspend type to S1 (power on suspend) in BIOS SleepEnabler.kext doesn't work; screen goes black, but fans are still on, keyboard press brings screen back.

This is expected, and it works that way without your kext.

However, when I set ACPI suspend type to S3 (suspend to RAM) in BIOS SleepEnabler.kext works somewhat; screen goes black, fans stop, keyboard press wakes the system but doesn't bring the screen back, and so I need to reboot the machine.

I'm using Disabler.kext only to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Is anyone with an Intel Nehalem architecture MB and SleepEnabler.kext able to recover from sleep?

I'm using a Gigabye GA-EX58-UD5 MB (Intel Nehalem architecture) and if I set ACPI suspend type to S1 (power on suspend) in BIOS SleepEnabler.kext doesn't work; screen goes black, but fans are still on, keyboard press brings screen back.

However, when I set ACPI suspend type to S3 (suspend to RAM) in BIOS SleepEnabler.kext works somewhat; screen goes black, fans stop, keyboard press wakes the system but doesn't bring the screen back, and so I need to reboot the machine.

Is anyone with an Intel Nehalem architecture MB and SleepEnabler.kext able to recover from sleep?

S1 - it works as advertised :D power on suspend

S3 - the part affected by SleepEnabler.kext is the proper go-to-sleep (i.e. without hang or reboot) - if you get as far as waking the system up again after sleep (even if only the fans start spinning), it has done it's job.

There are tens or even hundreds hardware and configuration-specific issues that may prevent your system from waking properly, and I'm no expert on these, having built only a handful (and quite similar) systems. However, I'd suspect a bugged DSDT, or a problematic (not necessarily unfixable) GFX/Sound/LAN card to be the problem here.

@ pista7

Do i just need to recompile your Sleepenabler for a new Kernel, or do i need to make other adjustments if i want to use it on a new Kernel?

Technically, there are only two modifications required:

- create a configuration/modify existing one to define KERNEL_VERSION as 10.0.0

- create a new folder Headers_10.0.0 (like the existing Headers_9.7.0 and Headers_9.8.0), and copy there the files pmCPU.h and cpu_topology.h from the 10.0.0 kernel

However, the latter is a bit of a problem, since the SL kernel isn't outsourced yet - you'd have to use an available version, and guess:

a) the PM_DISPATCH_VERSION constant (instant panic on mismatch) - probably best to start from 16 a move upwards (better stop around one thousand if it doesn't work :D))

:D the layout of the two structures (pmDispatch and pmCallbacks) - the best case would be if any fields were only appended to these and no fields were removed - in this case, it should be safe to simply add a random number of padding bytes at the end of both, and it should work

I'll definitely look into it once I get SL up and running (it somehow insists on KP-ing all the time on boot, first on fsck_hfs, and when I suppressed it, it crashes on 'ReportCrash'... funny, isn't it? if you have any suggestions, throw them at me!)

There are tens or even hundreds hardware and configuration-specific issues that may prevent your system from waking properly, and I'm no expert on these, having built only a handful (and quite similar) systems. However, I'd suspect a bugged DSDT, or a problematic (not necessarily unfixable) GFX/Sound/LAN card to be the problem here.

+1

I am using a Ud5 too and don't have any issues with with sleep.

The SleepEnabler.kext works for me.

I set ACPI to S3!

Using SleepEnabler.kext with Disabler.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement removed and everything is working as it was in 10.5.7. Timed sleep still doesn't work... the system doesn't bsod, but it just doesn't sleep. Almost as if the sleep command was never triggered at all. Any known fix for this? I'm using a gigabyte EP45-UD3R.

Using SleepEnabler.kext with Disabler.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement removed and everything is working as it was in 10.5.7. Timed sleep still doesn't work... the system doesn't bsod, but it just doesn't sleep. Almost as if the sleep command was never triggered at all. Any known fix for this? I'm using a gigabyte EP45-UD3R.

+1

Weird problem guys.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

Using Disabler.kext + SleepEnabler.kext + VoodooPower.kext (for low temps) to get sleep working on 10.5.8

Reboot/Shutdown working without a problem before sleep. BUT, if the computer is restarted anytime after it's woken up from sleep, everything goes off for a few seconds, comes back on and a few more seconds later says there was an error and asks to pick an alternate Bios setting.

This is really weird as it's never happened before 10.5.8

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Well I tried sleepenabler.kext with my thinkpad (accidentally typed powerbook lol), and it broke my install. I did have Disabler.kext installed as well, but as soon as I installed sleepenabler.kext with kexthelper I had a kernel panic. Rebooted into single user mode, but still got a kernel panic and decided to say screw it and installed win7. If I can't get sleep to function as it does on an real apple computer there is no point in having it on my laptop. I'd also like to mention that my laptop would not sleep on lid close, and I couldn't get DSDT.aml to decompile using iasl.

I put the latest version of sleep enabler in the /Extra folder along with a disabler version that disables only CPUPM.

CPUPM is still in the S/L/E folder. To my surprise, not only does sleep work but auto sleep also works after 10 min and system wakes up and eveything works just fine. Autosleep wasn't working when I used CPUPM without disabler or sleep enabler (by enabling HPET via DSDT). Normal sleep was working though.

I put the latest version of sleep enabler in the /Extra folder along with a disabler version that disables only CPUPM.

CPUPM is still in the S/L/E folder. To my surprise, not only does sleep work but auto sleep also works after 10 min and system wakes up and eveything works just fine. Autosleep wasn't working when I used CPUPM without disabler or sleep enabler (by enabling HPET via DSDT). Normal sleep was working though.

Nice find hurt. Have a link to that disabler? I'll take a look to see if I can find it, but a quick link could help. Thanks.

Hi,

if anybody would like to try a version for Snow Leopard, check this out and let me know what happens - it's complete guesswork from SL's mach_kernel disassembly, so anything might happen (including it will just work :). However, there may be more changes in SL's power management, so even if it works as in 10.5.8, it might not help it go to sleep.

sleep_sl.zip

Hi,

if anybody would like to try a version for Snow Leopard, check this out and let me know what happens - it's complete guesswork from SL's mach_kernel disassembly, so anything might happen (including it will just work ;). However, there may be more changes in SL's power management, so even if it works as in 10.5.8, it might not help it go to sleep.

I can say that this kext works on SL 432. System will sleep manually. No auto sleep. System - GA EP43 DS3L Q6600

I'll take manual sleep and low cpu temps over no sleep any day

Thanks pista7! Works good on my BX2, uses it without AppleIntelCPUP* as advertised and without the Disabler which I don't understand why some people keeps. Saved me from anxiety after the 10.5.8 upgrade ;)

Just have to find a solution for the 1 second screwed up display before the desktop loads at boot with my 8800gt in 10.5.8, then it will be perfect!