10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting this!

Unfortunately the kext didn't change anything for me... :(

Sleep is the only thing I just can't get to work :P

Are you using Disabler.kext or NullCPUPM?

Where did you put SleepEnabler.kext, in /E/E/ or /S/L/E/ ? I am using it in /S/L/E/ with NullCPUPM in /E/E/. Maybe will help you.

I have new sleep problem since 10.5.8: Using pista7's Sleepenabler my Hack now goes to Sleep fine, but once in a while when i wake the System, it completely locks up. The Fans start running, the MB Powerled goes on, but the screen stays dark. It seems that the OS is "down" too, there's no reaction to mouse / keypresses.

This never happened before 10.5.8.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be a issue with Sleepenabler? I am now trying with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

I have new sleep problem since 10.5.8: Using pista7's Sleepenabler my Hack now goes to Sleep fine, but once in a while when i wake the System, it completely locks up. The Fans start running, the MB Powerled goes on, but the screen stays dark. It seems that the OS is "down" too, there's no reaction to mouse / keypresses.

This never happened before 10.5.8.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be a issue with Sleepenabler? I am now trying with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

i am experiencing the same problem, never had it before 10.5.8.

would not say it depends on SleepEnabler.

Edit: i guess the problem is related to graphic card

My specs:

MB Asus P5LD2

Audio ALC882

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz

4G RAM

Ok, after update to 10.5.8. no sleep. I am using munky's method with EFI partition and Chameleon RC2(thanks guys!) What I did:

Used DSDT Patcher GUI by PCWiz and installed dsdt.aml in the root of EFI partition(didn't need before)(search google for the application)

Removed Disabler kext from Extra/Extensions

Added SleepEnabler from thireus in the above folder(I think there is a link in some post above)

Added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext found somwhere on the net(don't remember where, file is attached).

rebuilded the kextcache.

Used PenntNeu script (attached) found on the net for enable automatic sleep(great stuff and vrey simple). This script has to go in the startupItems.

Now everything works!

May be this will help somebody....

Thank you!

PenntNeu.app.zip

mini9_stec_1058_sleep.zip

I got sleep sort of working by rolling back to the 9.7 kernel. The only problem is that auto sleep doesn't work. If you go into the Energy Saver preference pane, it seems as if a lot of the hardware capabilities aren't recognized. The only "Option" available is power on button for sleep. And on the main screen, put hard drives to sleep when possible.

There isn't anythiing about wake on network activity, etc.

Any thoughts?

@pista7

I have problems using the SleepEnabler cause of a very "retarded" Sleep. Going-to-sleep takes about a minute, cause of a bad DVD Drive Firmware:

Aug 24 16:30:10 Hackmac kernel[0]: IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05::setPowerState(0x613eb00, 4 -> 0) timed out after 100377 ms

If i use the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext, the Hack sleeps/wakes fine, but if use your Sleepenabler.kext, the system won't wake sometimes (Fans run, power is on, but system is "down")

I guess this happens cause of the timeout above?

Are you using Disabler.kext or NullCPUPM?

Where did you put SleepEnabler.kext, in /E/E/ or /S/L/E/ ? I am using it in /S/L/E/ with NullCPUPM in /E/E/. Maybe will help you.

Thanks for your reply Don Quijote

I don't use Disabler.kext or NullCPUPM, only dsmos.kext (deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

I had Disabler.kext before, but sleep didn't work. I have the SleepEnabler.kext and the dsmos.kext in /S/L/E.

Where can I get NullCPUPM? I want to try it out :(

Thanks for your reply Don Quijote

I don't use Disabler.kext or NullCPUPM, only dsmos.kext (deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

I had Disabler.kext before, but sleep didn't work. I have the SleepEnabler.kext and the dsmos.kext in /S/L/E.

Where can I get NullCPUPM? I want to try it out :)

If you deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemenet, you don't need any more NullCPUPOwerManagement (what it does is to prevent AppleIntelCPUPM to load).

Did sleep worked for you before 10.5.8?

Hi everyone,

Been following this thread for a while now.

I was hoping to get some assistance with my 10.5.6 retail install (weaksauce Boot 132)

Audio fine, manual sleep fine, graphics fine (GTS 250) restart shutdown fine.

I have two issues I cant resolve. I've re-installed 6 times. :P

1) Can't install to 10.5.8. I get the GSOD (grey screen of death) when I install this update on restart. This is the error that says that I must restart in several languages. This error seems to be linked with sleep, shutdown or restarting. I have now reinstalled to 10.5.7, created a partition and cloned to this partition so that I can practise without ruining my install. :P

2) USB not unmounting on wake up from sleep. I read on Thireus website of a fix but couldn't locate the /etc/ folder.

My system is as follows:

UD3P mobo

Gigabyte GTS 250 1GB graphics

8GB Kingston HyperX ram

Q9550 Core 2 Quad

Vista on one Hard drive

Mac on another drive

Chameleon 2 RC2 Bootloader

Pioneer DVD dvr-216bk

G5 case

I have the following kexts installed via the install package in S/L/E:

Applesymbiosefi

HDAEnabler

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

RealtekR1000

I added the following kexts post install:

ALCInject (audio)

AppleHDA (audio)

OpenHaltRestart (required for Quad processors)

SymbiosResolver (system profiler)

Any assistance is appreciated.

keeza

post-452164-1251193964_thumb.jpg

on my nc10 first generation sleep mode worked well from 10.5.6 - 10.5.7 but in 10.5.8 fails.

when going into sleep mode the usb umts stick still works while screen goes black but the power led is not flashing. the power button is still enlite.

so shut down and sleep mode worked well until I have installed 10.5.8 update. So any fixes here?

the battery did not showed the time only if charging or not charging. so as suggested I have reinstalled some older kext and it now works again like before.

I searched several hours for a fix but can not find any which is working? when booting I get the message "bad sleep image signature" so no idea was this means...

so questions

1) is there already a fix for the nc10 + 10.5.8?

2) can I go back to 10.5.7? if so...how?

3) when reinstalling 10.5.7 will be my data remain or will 10.5.7 reformat the partition?

Thanks for your help...

Ok, I have an update for any of those having similar issues to me.

Regarding the grey screen of death (is this whats known as a kernel panic?)

On installing the 10.5.8 update I re-ran the Uinstaller and re-installed the kext package and extensions Mtext package. I also re-installed my graphics card string (custom nVidia with GTS250).

No more GSOD. So now I have a stable 10.5.8 system running.

To fix sound I installed 889A kexts (ALCInject and AppleHDA).

Sound is working.

Sleep.

Deleted AppleIntelCPUPM kext and rebooted.

Re-installed AICPUPM kext along with Disabler and Sleepenabler kext.

Manual sleep works, auto sleep I'm still working on.

USB still doesn't unmount when sending computer to sleep, therefor I get a device removal message on wakening.

So I'm almost there.

Can anyone answer a couple of questions please:

By installing the disabler kext do I have any power management running? If not what would be the best solution, removing disabler or installing voodoopower?

Regarding sleep, when initiating manual sleep with no USB drive in my front USB port sleep is instantaneous. With a USB drive inserted the mobo sleeps straight away but the graphics card takes about 20 seconds longer to sleep. Any known reason for this?

I also want to make a custom disk with all kexts and updates on it if required in the future, any suggestions on how to do this? I've read that image files run faster than dmg files??

I'm happy to do my own research but if someone can point me in the right direction.....

For any interested I built my PC into a G5 case, if you are planning to do the same I'm happy to share some tips. PM me.

This fix worked great for me - but only once I noticed to grab the Snow Leopard one instead of the Leopard one.

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't there a better solution for power/sleep/restart/shutdown management than we have now? On my system I have the following:

• Disabler.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext
  • VoodooPower.kext
  • VoodooBattery.kext

The more kexts are installed, to me the more things that can go wrong - or fall out of support and development. What worries me most though, is how SleepEnabler has to be so tightly tied to the kernel - that just can't be good long term, and wasn't required before 10.5.8. It's going to make applying OS updates very tricky indeed.

What's strange is that on 10.5.8 - and 10.5.8 only - I could use Apple's power management kext without issue - no Disabler, OpenHaltRestart, or SleepEnabler, and everything worked perfectly. I was quite sad to see Snow Leopard required them all again.

Please don't mistake this for not being appreciative! I'm deeply thankful for all of the work various folks have put into this; I'm just wondering if some of this can't be cleaned up and consolidated.

So why both of these doing the same? ;)

Cheers!

Because they don't as far as I can tell. VoodooPower provides SpeedStep and other power management routines that would normally be provided by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement; SleepEnabler prevents hangs when trying to go to sleep, and OpenHaltRestart allows the computer to properly restart or shutdown rather than hanging with a dark screen.

I'm especially curious why AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement suddenly worked properly on 10.5.8 - and then quit working afterwards (and now we need SleepEnabler, etc).

It would seem to me if a small patch or tweak could be applied to simply use the Apple-provided power management that this would be much easier than reinventing the wheel in four other kexts. I don't have much background on the issues involved - I'd just like the system to be easier to maintain, and the fragility of SleepEnabler in particular worries me.

Trying to help folks still not having a working sleep, at Post #134 in [Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.8) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC there is what I learnt from present topic to get proper sleeping.

Thanks Francy for the above link.

While not afraid to get my hands dirty, messing around with DSDT is beyond my ability at this stage.

I can live with the auto sleep not working, more concerned with the USB not unmounting as this could damage the USB stick. I'll keep my eyes open for a solution, in the meantime I'll just turn sleep off.tongue.gif

Would like to ask some very basic questions though,

Are the kexts I have installed a typical set i.e. not doubling up or kexts missing?

What is the difference between the S/L/E folder and the E/E folder?

What is a "vanilla" install and is mine one?

Thanks for helping!thumbsup_anim.gif

If you deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemenet, you don't need any more NullCPUPOwerManagement (what it does is to prevent AppleIntelCPUPM to load).

Did sleep worked for you before 10.5.8?

Ah yes ok, that makes sense to me :D

No it didn't work before 10.5.8... I had that problem since 10.5.5 or something like that and tried alot of different solutions.

So I'll just give up now and see what will happen with Snow Leopard :D

SleepEnabler + OpenHaltRestart + AppleCPUIPM (vanilla) work perfectly fine for me in 10.6

Thank you for the oundstanding work!

Odd - SleepEnabler shouldn't do anything in that setup - and yet, when i tried AppleCPUIPM on my machine it locked immediately on the gray Apple.

Still, whatever works. :D

Hi mates.

Passing by here just to say that after moving to 10.5.8 I followed one of the first posts of this topic and it worked like a charm to me.

Just FYI

- My install - iPC PPF5 Final (10.5.6 version)

- My update to 10.5.7 was through Mysticus C* Update Package.

- My last update to 10.5.8 was using iDeneb Delta Upgrade.

Cheers.

bb.

Dears,

First, sorry for my english.

I finally manage to have my hackintosh sleep with 10.5.8 after long days of effort... I trusted I've tried all possibilities...

I've found these lines in my syslog:

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: can't determine immediate dependencies for extension sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler.

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "SleepEnabler"

Googling on this gave me this page:

http://www.dailyblogged.com/1348/os-x-10-5...allation-guide/

I followed instructions and installed a "good" version SleepEnabler.kext and it works now !

MB= Asus P5E

Proc= Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz)

Ram= 4GB@800MHz

Hope this help...

Dears,

First, sorry for my english.

I finally manage to have my hackintosh sleep with 10.5.8 after long days of effort... I trusted I've tried all possibilities...

I've found these lines in my syslog:

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: can't determine immediate dependencies for extension sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler.

Aug 31 02:25:15 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "SleepEnabler"

Googling on this gave me this page:

http://www.dailyblogged.com/1348/os-x-10-5...allation-guide/

I followed instructions and installed a "good" version SleepEnabler.kext and it works now !

MB= Asus P5E

Proc= Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz)

Ram= 4GB@800MHz

Hope this help...

Hi I solved my 10.5.8 sleep issue removing Disabler.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and installing SleepEnabler.kext plus reinstalling those kext:

IOUSBFamily_EHCISleepEnabler.zip

But what is odd is that when I choose to make the computer sleep, it acts like it is going to sleep, but when I press the power button to wake up the computer, the computer boots from scratch. In other words, sleep actually makes the computer shut down.

Anyone else have this issue?

I am having exactly same issue. When i want to make computer sleep it shutdowns. I am actually using Snow Kitty but there are people with exact same MB and kexts who can use sleep just OK. Somebody have any idea where can be the problem ?