borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

what i did was use DisplayconfigX to make a profile for my display,then renamed the display's plist to the true name of my lcd,now os x sees my monitor as an appl display & no more display matching failed ;)

ATI Radeon 9600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9600 XT

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4152

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Proview 17" LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

here is a bit of my ioreg about my display

"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/OMNI,CALLISTO/CallistoFB/display0/AppleDisplay-756e6b6e-130000"

what i did was use DisplayconfigX to make a profile for my display,then renamed the display's plist to the true name of my lcd,now os x sees my monitor as an appl display & no more display matching failed :)

Cool, I am going to try that no. No chance of having a space serail laying around. Hate to buy it and it not work

HEy JaS, I tried ytour fix but could you be just a bit clearer for me? Sorry. Specifically, I want to try to just edit my display plist and see if that will stop family errors

It's halarious how now all these X1600 users come out of the closet lol .

Now join the channels to help others please

It's halarious how now all these X1600 users come out of the closet lol .

Now join the channels to help others please

Of course we will. As you can see I am a happy X1600 Pro user but I asked if we can decompile-edit-recompile the binary part of the kext to make the rest of ATI users happy...

found something interesting... i think...

i've manged to get ATINDRV.kext to load up without the vertical lines by using the callisto drivers... QE/CI didn't work if you wonder but the strange thing is that ATINDRV unloaded itself a couple of minutes after bootup !

maybe somekind of incompatability with callisto or maybe even the dependencies thing we get when we try to load it manually...

update on the X1800 situation : installed myzar 10.4.4 (the 10.4.4/5 disc with the 10.4.5 update disabled) - boots to black screen

going to try installing with 10.4.5 now.

after that im going to look into hex editing the kext files.

JaS, I tried your trick a few times, no luck, ;) But on my system profile, I can see that my correct display is listed but it does not list my chipset. Also, in doing this, have you noticed any faster booting times? Maybe I am just missing something? Let me know when you can and good luck on your install when you get the card.

what i did was use DisplayconfigX to make a profile for my display,then renamed the display's plist to the true name of my lcd,now os x sees my monitor as an appl display & no more display matching failed :)

ATI Radeon 9600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9600 XT

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4152

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Proview 17" LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

here is a bit of my ioreg about my display

"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/OMNI,CALLISTO/CallistoFB/display0/AppleDisplay-756e6b6e-130000"

First at all big thanx to Boris - Great work !

Sorry for the annoying repetition, but has anybody fixed the dvi output ? Since I've used Boris method my dvi signal has gone after bootscreen. VGA output (adapter dvi to vga) works fine. Display : Dell LCD 1902FP, Graphics 3d-club ATI X1600 Pro 256mb.

Thanks for your reply,

best rgds.,

Wig

I'm going to go out on a limb here and I have no evidence to back it up, but I believe that the card is still not FULLY supported. It is damn close to being fully supported, but the lack of DVI output along with proper card not showing up in System Profiler, along with a few other things lead me to believe this. With some investigation, I think we can get this as close to how the cards on real Macs work as possible, especially the PCIe users.

EDIT: More evidence to indicate not truly full support. In iTunes using visualization, any 2D effect unfocusing from the window such as a preferences window or finder causes an extreme drop in framerate along with the Apple/Song Info fade out effect used.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...

I am {censored} VINDICATED. It works!

Installed 10.4.5 Myzar disc WITH the 10.4.5 update

applied boris's method

rebooted - boom - full QE, CI, OpenGL, res changing, refresh rate changing, rotation etc

checkout my sig for my setup - but this baby *WORKS* on an X1800 ;)

BORIS YOU ARE A STAR.

Munky, glad to hear that you have gotten your X1800 card to work. I see so many others out here with that card but no luck. What did you do differently? I do have to agree with Deetman, his observations are corrent though. SInce I do not use visualizations in iTunes, I did not notice but there are a few bugs still. I would like to have it post the card info too in System Profiler; working on that. I'm open to all ideas.

i think if i do update to 10.4.6 i will be using quixos' manual method and being VERY careful about what i install. if i screw it up i'll just stick with 10.4.5 :)

glad i persevered with this now.. ;)

EdFlyer: to answer your question about what versions etc... i did nothing clever. i just installed myzar's 10.4.4/5 disc and then applied boris' method.

just a qustion...

for those who cant use this method because of the DVI connection...

what exactly is the problem ?

you get the vertical lines after boot ?

i'm asking that since my laptop uses DVI connection for it's screen and a normat VGA connector for the outer world... now i wanted to know if the problem i'm having is due to the DVI connector or due to the non supported GPU (radeon 7500)

@moseschrist: No vertical lines after boot. Trying to boot with DVI connection results in a black screen after log in. No graphical crashes or something else. Booting with DVI to VGA works perfect, except the 4 to 5 times longer boot time as before applied Boris patch. In System Profiler the LCD is recognized as a VGA Monitor. Trying to boot in verbose Mode shows several "error messages" Display....not found.

Munky, glad to hear that you have gotten your X1800 card to work. I see so many others out here with that card but no luck. What did you do differently? I do have to agree with Deetman, his observations are corrent though. SInce I do not use visualizations in iTunes, I did not notice but there are a few bugs still. I would like to have it post the card info too in System Profiler; working on that. I'm open to all ideas.

Since you've bypassed the whole IOPCIDevice discovery by matching on "display" instead of whatever the card's real name is (if it even outputs a name at all), I'm thinking that it won't be easy to have the system recognize the card.

If I understand whats happening, you've tricked ATINDRV into loading even those there is no "ATY, Wormy" hardware by matching on anything with the PCI name "display". Therefore the whole process where the card gets discovered is skipped (and needed to be skipped in order for it to work).

ATINDRV is a good, but very, very simple framebuffer for x1600/x1800 series cards. With each new update, Apple restricts the hardware a little bit more, so I guess it makes sense that Munky's x1800 works under 10.4.5, but not 10.4.6

I wish someone with some real knowledge of IOKit graphics could chime in..

op

EDIT: I think my terminology has been all wrong. I've mixed Framebuffer for Driver.