borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

I have JaS 10.4.6 installed on my PC...

I can change resolution and refresh rate, but my Sapphire x1600xt on Sytem Profiler is displayed as PCI and NOT PCIe....

I do not play games as such, after reading the post on Chess hang I though I tried that. I can confirm that Chess "hang" after TWO MOVES, I have to do "force quit"...

Also the VGA port was disabled after modification to the kexts, I have to use DVI/VGA dongle for output...

I am wondering if the JaS 10.4.6 users that this is working for also installed the gma900 support package.It has the 4.5 gl framework in it.

I didn't install the gma900 support package and as I posted before, I could modify the files like in 10.4.4 and it works! System Profiles says "OpenGL 1.4.8.19.0" for the framework. ATIRadeonX1000 is "1.4.24".

Thank you Boris,

Your solution works !!!

I have a saphire X1600 pro AGP card (id 71C2) and I have QE, Coreimage, OpenGL (games play both in full screen and in windows), resolution and refresh rate is changing from the desktop, correct monitor recognition, NO mouse artifacts/tearing.

My motherboard is intel 865 based.

Your solution is superb !!!!

THANK YOU again.

:D I know you were not attacking my install,But when I was reading this thread to see whats going on I saw a few posts saying this hack was not working with my install.So I thought I would take the time to point out users are getting it to work with the 10.4.6 dvd before 1000 threads start up about "Hey JaS 10.4.6 working with X1600 hack or not"

I am wondering if the JaS 10.4.6 users that this is working for also installed the gma900 support package.It has the 4.5 gl framework in it.

I am pretty sure it might be it, or those aren't playing games at all since 10.4.6 OpenGL framework (in combination with 10.4.6 X1600 drivers of course) makes games crash a lot.

This is also important to notice that OpenGL.Frameworks only works with the same version of the drivers that corresponds to it. (ie if you have 10.4.6 opengl.frameworks, you need as well 10.4.6 atix1600 extensions, else it'll simply result as a black screen.

So maybe considering you left 10.4.6 X1600 drivers, those who are getting a black screen with your DVD actually did that (installed 10.4.5 ogl framework) ; well you get my point :)

Finally, those who are running any 10.4.6 version should definitly try some games out there more than 1sec as a full 10.4.6 setup with latest frameworks is no good then, so as Munky said, it's the fault of nobody but Apple :'( Might be the kernel ? You never know, Maxxuss or SemJaza could tell :)

hola friends,

why not stop this discussion about which version is working?

we know that it's working with Myzar 10.4.5

the rest is too blurry...with JAS 10.4.6 there are many install options, so the people complaining the hack not working should write down their install options or leave it completely... it's blowing up the thread and leading again and again into the wrong direction...

i'm cmpletely with Boris regarding the EFI stuff!!! this should be the next step...

in the EFIx86 subforum i read that OMNI has the EFI-stuff... so maybe the EFI subforum + OMNI's EFI driver will bring a solution to make the X1600 fully supported...

no frontin' - just my 2 cents...

I didn't install the gma900 support package and as I posted before, I could modify the files like in 10.4.4 and it works! System Profiles says "OpenGL 1.4.8.19.0" for the framework. ATIRadeonX1000 is "1.4.24".

That's the 10.4.5 ogl framework and you are on amd right ? that would make sense because on Jas disk the 10.4.6 framework is installed for intel and the 10.4.5 for amd.

10.4.6 ogl framework is ver 1.4.9

Yes, I'm on AMD. So now it's clear it works for me because it uses the older 1.4.5 framework and drivers.

BTW, did anyone test to change the DEVID from the primary to the secondary (as it says in Win) ID to get DVI output? That whould be 71E0 instead of 71C0 for my X1600.

hiho...

first a huge huge thuge thanks to boris, for figuring out how to make the x1600 running "just sexy"...

i readet about last week, ordered an x1600pro agp with 256mb and started with good moods to install..

while i was editing the kext, i was wondering, coz my card had the same vendor/device id than boris (pcie) one..

but ok, i continued and did a restart..

my system (.4.5 by myzar) was kicked off...it starts booting, found the x1600 as far as i was able to see on the kernel messages, but on the point:

starting security agent,

my system just hangs..for a long time, so i gave up.

deleting the modified kext, even every kext who contains some "ati binarys" didn´t help...;(

i even deletet all the .plist, who gave preferences like resolution, liginwindow and so on..

it stops all the time on starting security agent....

10 minutes ago, i readet a post, coming from cyclonefr, that it might be cause diffrent driver versions.

this maybee...i patched, flashed and played a lot on my old 9550 to make her working much better..so maybee the mixture of old ati driver, callisto, new driver and patched/changed settings gave me the Problem.

i´ll copy my actually extensions folder to the old installation and try to boot it up, maybee it works than again..but i don´t care..

Its hard to be a pioneer..:D)

so, i did a new install..

after osx .4.4/5 myz (many thanx for this releas myzar, imho its the most stable&actual one)i did the following steps:

first, i took maxxus patch solution, patched all back to intel (cause some files are prepatched for sse2 emulation, i have sse3 opteron on my system)

changed the kernel to a sse3 one (without emulation) and patched the files with maxxus patchsolution again.

so my system was running fine.

i edited the Kext the same way, boris told us, i was able to use copy and paste (lazy boy i know)

and did a restart..

what to say? i can understand ALL the ppl who was like after their first sexual experiences..it was just GREAT...

the gui looks like 100% faster, no tearing, no refresh problems anymore...

i was able to switch the resolutions...the refresh rate and to circle the screen (90degrees 4 example)...

all runs fine..

until now, i tried the following:

itunes visualizer....ok it runs much faster than before..maybee coz the gpu of x1600 is faster, dunno if it depends on the driver.

BUT...it even slows down, if i move some windows over it, or just play the mouse....

i tried to play doom, unreal tournamen4 demo...perfect..

on unreal tournament i get in full res/details around 100 frames....enough to play and using the minigun...:)

so i started to check out, dual display. i have to say, since the beginning i just used the normal vga port, not the dvi with an adapter...will check it out today...

i tried to connect my tv on s-video out, and my crt on vga out.

what happens? while starting the system, the break appears again (imho the driver check the card, and write their own settings into a cache, dunno i didn´t traced it now)

i saw the pic on my tv and my monitor...then both became black. osx was starting, i saw on my harddrive activity, but i was not able to see something...so i pressed reset, took the s-video out and all was fine again..

hmm, not all, i needet to set the resolution back to my 1280x1024...

there i am now.

all is fantastic, the few second break i can accept, i usually boot 1 time a week..:)

next thing is to figure out, why i get this issues, connecting my tv on it. maybee cause, before the tv is my pioneer 915 amplifier how manage the s-video signals of my room here i don´t know, if there are some informations running over s-video, imho not...

i´ll continue, if i figure some new things out...

thanx again boris, let us pwn the gfx..:D

greets,

codo

Few notes:

bobo2211, I would recheck everything twice and also see post 309 by vaderd, he said he's running AMD.

cyclonefr, Please keep me (and everyone else updated on Omni's work; be great if he can make the card work with the EFI.

codo; blush..... Glad to hear the good news though but I do not know if I was THAT excited, lmao.

i will, until omni let me know :D

in fact this kext should not emulate any EFI , but give answer to some routines waiting for EFI into the driver...we will see if it works, and if it works if we gain something new...im waiting for omni's answer

Yes, I'm on AMD. So now it's clear it works for me because it uses the older 1.4.5 framework and drivers.

BTW, did anyone test to change the DEVID from the primary to the secondary (as it says in Win) ID to get DVI output? That whould be 71E0 instead of 71C0 for my X1600.

so that means i have to copy the older 1.4.5 into osx 10.4.6, so that i can mod the kext ? where can i get it ?

Hey guys!

I've made all the changes (have 10.4.4 w/ 10.4.5 update disc) using an X1800XT (512MB - 7100 device ID) and I thought it wasn't working, then I remembered reading something about using a VGA cable, which I did and attached to my 2405fpw monitor. To my surprise it loaded up at my native resolution! I was extremely excited, as most of you probably were during your moments of success =P.. Then I noticed that QE and CI aren't on.. I thought I made all the changes and double-checked them but could not find anything different from boris' changes.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: thanks to everyone for making this possible (boris, munky, jas, myzar, and more!)

Edit: Scratch that - everything is working now!

We have the same device id , 71c2 = 71C2

so isn't it the samething?

All I'm worried about is my other 256mb nvram where is it at lol . With omni/callisto my card is detected (Name, RAm size, agp slot) . The Boris + Callisto should unite :happymac:

I must thank everyone who is part of the OSX86 community, big thanks to Jas in special since I'm running his 10.4.6 iso dvd, big thanks to omni for always trying to help me, big thanks to boris to be the first to reply to my thread and give everybody a easy way, and big thanks to everyone whos trying to contribute :censored2: .. we're getting there!!

<string>1002514c-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

in place of this it tightens vosa I write? <string>1002514c-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string> I leave therefore?

macpanther, you need to replace what I have highlighted in bold with your device id:

and the numbers before 1002 should reflect your vendor id.

In the plist where you found this line, you should see this string twice. Alter it twice. Save it, clear mkext, kextcache, repair permissions, bob's your uncle

in place of this it tightens vosa I write? <string>1002514c-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string> I leave therefore?

news from omni :"I dont have a kext for anything yet. I dont know if I will. If/when I do, everyone will know..."

so let's hope he gonna plug one fine day his X1600AGP and start the good work like he always does :happymac:

keep ur eyes wide opened.

P.S.: thanks to everyone for making this possible (boris, munky, jas, myzar, and more!)

lol, all i did was grim determination that my X1800 was going to WORK DAMMIT! :happymac:

but... you're welcome :censored2:

eh munky btw u should thanx me cause i had the great idea to tell u to install 10.4.4/5 Myzar...im kidding...just glad this trick works with every X16/1800 video card..but does it work for X13/14 or X1900?

btw ive flashed my Sapphire X1600 cause i have strange colors under DOS (common and known problem from ATI, maybe u have it...) and even with the latest bios ATINDRV still works...that confirms ATINDRV bugs in 10.4.6 is surely linked to the lack of 10.4.6 KERNEL

EDITED: just to sum up the whole thing for u guys, this ATINDRV driver isnt only a way to avoid tearing it brings lots more...see the fade features when changing resolution, the fact some game like Diablo2 and Starcraft (even doesnt run on GMA900) are now working ... it is just avoiding us a lot of conflicts with other kexts and frameworks...im so glad :happymac:

Hi all! I'm a little bit newbie and I have an ASUS EAX1600PRO (same id as boris's) I followed the instructions but I'm not able to change resolutions, I can change only editing the com.apple.boot.plist.

Also it happens some mouse tearings... so, any ideas?

THX

did you change the settings in the ATINDRV from "ATY,Wormy" to "display" Check for typos.

Hi all! I'm a little bit newbie and I have an ASUS EAX1600PRO (same id as boris's) I followed the instructions but I'm not able to change resolutions, I can change only editing the com.apple.boot.plist.

Also it happens some mouse tearings... so, any ideas?

THX