[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Hello Blackosx,

Just one strange thing. I've just upgrade my PC EFI to 10.5 and test EvOReboot :

* reboot : it's seems that my USB doesn't work any more.

* reinstall openhaltrestart in SSH

* reboot : ok all is working.

I test a new bench with geekbench : my score is growing from 4921 to 6758

;)

Don't know why ? Thanks to my new PC EFI ?

Stick with OpenHaltRestart if that works for you.

Great news on the Geekbench :wacko:

Hi Blakosx,

You've been busy :)

I'm still on Leopard, which may have some bearing on this.

Just updated the BIOS to F11b and thought I'd re-roll my DSDT then started reading threads...

I ended up throwing your latest testing DSDT (GA-EP45-DS3L DSDT 021109) in a blender with iSoprano's latest from the 'DSDT fixes for gigabyte boards' thread to come up with a version for my Q6600.

Was initially quite excited by the working 'wake with mouse' and lower cpu temps when idle, but it seems I'd lost QE support and shutdown was broken.

Since I'm still doing the graphics card via com.apple.boot.plist I trimmed down your PEGP section and reference a bit further - QE is restored as is shutdown (seem to have lost restart now! grrr). Still poking about with this, but though I'd should let you/everyone know.

My system will shutdown properly but it still won't restart without the use of OpenHaltRestart.kext in /Extra/Extensions.

Oh, looks like I reached the same point as you :thumbsup_anim:

So, with your DSDT I had restart, not shutdown, with these changes I have shutdown, not restart:

In Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized) change the PEGP line, removing the reference to GFX:

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEGP, Zero)

and in PEGP ends up:

Device (PEGP)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
		}

Removing PEGP entirely left me with a black screen :) That copy of the chameleon folder I keep on a USB key came in handy :)

Which makes me wonder if restart/shutdown issue is related to the PCI express/graphics card?

Which makes me wonder if restart/shutdown issue is related to the PCI express/graphics card?

No.

Just tried again, removing Device PEGP and reference to it in WAK - and this time it worked fine. So QE is working again now. No idea what I did wrong last time.

Also put back OpenHaltRestart.kext to fix shutdown and restart - tested shutdown and that's now working.

This seems a bit 2 steps forward, 2 steps backward :)

Hi Zengiga - good to hear from you :(

Yes, I have been very busy to the point where my brain was exploding with information overload... Lol

So you are still on the Leopard eh?, I still have a fully working 10.5.8 install on one of my HDD's too!

Well done for having a go with these DSDT's.. and it seems you have tried a few things out.

I am interesting about trimming the Device (PEGP) to get your QE & shutdown working. My 10.5.8 install has no problems doing either with the PEGP as it is.. But I will experiment with doing what you did. And I am also interested in your change to the PEGP line in Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized) influencing shutdown / restart without using OpenHaltRestart. Again I will have to experiment. But as you have found out this DSDT game is needs a bit of trial and error.

Time machine seems to work fine on my system too, so I don't know why it stopped with yours with DSDT?

I have uploaded my most recent DSDT.dsl to the front page of this thread. If you fancy trying again? Again, it includes my P-State & C-State info for my CPU in the Scope (_PR)'s so you will need to either replace your data for your CPU or replace that section with the data that you had in your original DSDT (as I explained to kabutop above).

Keep trying though, you will get there. :)

EDIT: When you said my DSDT gave you restart & not shutdown, was that without any changes made by you? If you did make changes, can you post it?

I am interesting about trimming the Device (PEGP) to get your QE & shutdown working.

Well, it certainly worked to cure the QE breakage, but the shutdown I'm now not sure about, because it seemed to lose it on a later reboot. Maybe sporadic, maybe I tested sleep first then shutdown...I don't know. Wasn't willing to play with it too much, because with the older dsdt it 'just worked' :)

And I am also interested in your change to the PEGP line in Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized) influencing shutdown / restart without using OpenHaltRestart.

I'd just discount that actually, it doesn't seem to have been repeatable or long lasting.

Time machine seems to work fine on my system too, so I don't know why it stopped with yours with DSDT?

Well initially I think it's because the USB fixes 'move' the external disk because the USB is now seen as built in. But if I try to re-specify the disk I get a familiar error about 'the built in network interface could not be found'.

I have uploaded my most recent DSDT.dsl to the front page of this thread. If you fancy trying again?

Oh yeah, I'm certainly keeping up with things. For the most part I think I need to look at reapplying some of the older fixes to this new dsdt. But the layout and format is so different in these optimized dsdt's that it makes my head hurt.

I was planning on posting the dsdt but it's to broken I think...ah what the hell, should be useful for other people with Q6600 to test too.dsdt.dsl.zip

Well, it certainly worked to cure the QE breakage, but the shutdown I'm now not sure about, because it seemed to lose it on a later reboot. Maybe sporadic, maybe I tested sleep first then shutdown...I don't know. Wasn't willing to play with it too much, because with the older dsdt it 'just worked' :(

I'd just discount that actually, it doesn't seem to have been repeatable or long lasting.

Well initially I think it's because the USB fixes 'move' the external disk because the USB is now seen as built in. But if I try to re-specify the disk I get a familiar error about 'the built in network interface could not be found'.

Oh yeah, I'm certainly keeping up with things. For the most part I think I need to look at reapplying some of the older fixes to this new dsdt. But the layout and format is so different in these optimized dsdt's that it makes my head hurt.

I was planning on posting the dsdt but it's to broken I think...ah what the hell, should be useful for other people with Q6600 to test too.dsdt.dsl.zip

No problems ;)

I don't actually use Time Machine so although i say it's working here, that's just entering it and seeing the screen draw down and view Time Machine, not actually restoring any files etc. But when you say re-specify the disk, do you mean click 'Select Disk' and select an existing backup device or just creating a new backup?

The DSDT.dsl I have supplied should have all the fixes applied. It might not be exactly correct and I am tweaking it all the time, but it's working for me. And for you, all you should really need to do is change from my supplied file is.....

• Your Scope (_PR) to show 4 cores, as your attached dsdt.dsl.

Scope (_PR)
   {
       Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
       Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
   }

• Your P-State info to match what CPUi shows you. (see attached screengrab where my Scope (_PR.CPU0) reflects what's shown in CPUi. Note: the 'Return (Package(0x05)' should be the number of P-States you have, in my case 5, then add the Frequency and control data, leaving 10,10 for latency.)

post-331032-1257547026_thumb.png

• Your Scope (_PR.CPU1), Scope (_PR.CPU2) & Scope (_PR.CPU3) to look like this.

Scope (_PR.CPU1) 
   {
           Alias (\_PR.CPU0._PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (\_PR.CPU0._CST, _CST)
   }
   Scope (_PR.CPU2) 
   {
   }
   Scope (_PR.CPU3) 
   {
   }

That's my guess. But I am still learning this, so maybe double check everything and maybe even post your revised one back here for me to double check if you like? :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget to change the PNOT method to match all your cores so it looks like this..

Method (PNOT, 0, Serialized)
   {
       Notify (\_PR.CPU1, 0x80) // Notify OSPM - this triggers a re-evaluation of our _PPC object (all states available).
       Sleep (0x64) // Let it sleep for 100us - giving it some time to response to our previous notification.
       Notify (\_PR.CPU1, 0x81) // Notify OSPM once more, this time to trigger a re-evaluation of our _CST object.

Notify (\_PR.CPU2, 0x80)
       Sleep (0x64)
       Notify (\_PR.CPU2, 0x81)

Notify (\_PR.CPU3, 0x80)
       Sleep (0x64)
       Notify (\_PR.CPU3, 0x81)

Notify (\_PR.CPU4, 0x80)
       Sleep (0x64)
       Notify (\_PR.CPU4, 0x81)
   }

Hi,

I followed this guide for my 10.5.7 install. My system ran flawlessly for months, but a few days ago I began to notice that it took a very long time for my system to go to sleep. I did a restart and now OS X is unable to mount my NTFS drives. It's also not detecting my SATA dvd drive, either. Everything else seems to be working fine...and the time it takes for my system to go to sleep is back to normal.

Any idea what I can try to fix this? Re-installing certain kexts? Any help/suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi,

I followed this guide for my 10.5.7 install. My system ran flawlessly for months, but a few days ago I began to notice that it took a very long time for my system to go to sleep. I did a restart and now OS X is unable to mount my NTFS drives. It's also not detecting my SATA dvd drive, either. Everything else seems to be working fine...and the time it takes for my system to go to sleep is back to normal.

Any idea what I can try to fix this? Re-installing certain kexts? Any help/suggestion will be appreciated.

This shouldn't happen. So a few days ago when you noticed this, what had you changed? Something must have changed.

Have you another system on your backup partition? I always have another system installed to boot into and test updates etc.. If you have then does this system behave in the same way?

is wakeup via applekeyboard included in masterchiefs dsdt you are using blackosx?

because wakeup via mouse is working for me, keyboard is not.

somewere i read that there is a fix for applekeyboard by masterchief. so i wonder if this is not included in his dsdt.

If the issue is only with not being able to wake from sleep using USB devices, check to see if your mouse/keyboard show up in system profiler under UHCI or EHCI (hi-speeed). If they show up under hi-speed usb that is the reason they will not wake the system from sleep.

my apple keyboard is shown under usb high speed in system profiler. so do you have any idea?

because wakeup via mouse is working for me, keyboard is not.

Same here, mine's an apple aluminium keyboard, I have read other people having issues with the alu keyboards specifically (search these forums), haven't come across a fix yet - so if you find anything let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Frankly though, I'm not that bothered, wake up by mouse is convenience enough :(

I don't actually use Time Machine so although i say it's working here, that's just entering it and seeing the screen draw down and view Time Machine, not actually restoring any files etc.

It's the actual backing up that's broken. We've seen these errors before, I think, it's basically down to the on board ethernet needing to be recognized as 'built in'. With your DSDT as it is, it's not.

Comparing your/my latest dsdt with my old one, and MasterCheif's v3.0 from the P5K PRO thread I'd say it's broken because we've taken out LAN0 and not replaced it with anything.

The P5K Pro v3.0 has a LAN device defined, as does my old dsdt, your new one doesn't (as far as I can see) and I can't find any info on whether it's been renamed...

The DSDT.dsl I have supplied should have all the fixes applied. It might not be exactly correct and I am tweaking it all the time, but it's working for me. And for you, all you should really need to do is change from my supplied file is.....

Yeah, I've added the entries for the Q6600 from isoprano's latest dsdt. It's a bit more complex than yours (extra if statements, not just extra cpu's), but works. I was able to remove voodoopowermini.kext and still have even lower temps at idle.

Just needs LAN0 fixed to built-in, so Time machine works, and shutdown/restart sorted.

Oh, and I meant to say, we can't just copy back the old LAN device because we also removed method DGTP that it uses IIRC, so it either needs rewriting or fixing properly ;)

Hi Blackosx, I woul like to ask you, if you have EHCI USB fix in the last DSDT that you added yesterday. I tried the new one DSDT from you (I added correct CPU information) and then use it for a while. Speedstepping is working (I think :-), because MSR tools shows me that and I have a lower temp even without nullCPUpowermanagement.kext.

But there is a problem with EHCI USB fix when I let my hack sleep, it stops then the USB drives and they shows as unmounted when it wake up. Is there fix for that?

is wakeup via applekeyboard included in masterchiefs dsdt you are using blackosx?

I'm not sure sickofit, I don't use a genuine Apple keyboard and mine wakes up from sleep as does the mouse.

It's the actual backing up that's broken. We've seen these errors before, I think, it's basically down to the on board ethernet needing to be recognized as 'built in'. With your DSDT as it is, it's not.

Comparing your/my latest dsdt with my old one, and MasterCheif's v3.0 from the P5K PRO thread I'd say it's broken because we've taken out LAN0 and not replaced it with anything.

The P5K Pro v3.0 has a LAN device defined, as does my old dsdt, your new one doesn't (as far as I can see) and I can't find any info on whether it's been renamed...

Yeah, I've added the entries for the Q6600 from isoprano's latest dsdt. It's a bit more complex than yours (extra if statements, not just extra cpu's), but works. I was able to remove voodoopowermini.kext and still have even lower temps at idle.

Just needs LAN0 fixed to built-in, so Time machine works, and shutdown/restart sorted.

Oh, and I meant to say, we can't just copy back the old LAN device because we also removed method DGTP that it uses IIRC, so it either needs rewriting or fixing properly :rolleyes:

Yeah, I see Device (LAN... in Masterchief's DSDT. I will have a look at adding back in. Thanks. But I have just realised how out of date my DSDT is compared with Masterchief's v3. So I need to get my head down and do more reading! I just get my head around one thing and next time I look Masterchief has changed bits, removed code and added new stuff. He's constantly working on it!

Well done with getting yours working with your Q6600 :D

Hi Blackosx, I woul like to ask you, if you have EHCI USB fix in the last DSDT that you added yesterday. I tried the new one DSDT from you (I added correct CPU information) and then use it for a while. Speedstepping is working (I think :-), because MSR tools shows me that and I have a lower temp even without nullCPUpowermanagement.kext.

But there is a problem with EHCI USB fix when I let my hack sleep, it stops then the USB drives and they shows as unmounted when it wake up. Is there fix for that?

Hi petrs99. There was a problem with the previous DSDT I uploaded. Try this new one with a revised UHCI/EHCI section.

dsdt.dsl.zip

Thank you for your reply, I tried this new dsdt.aml with my CPU info and it solved my problems with UHCI/EHCI, but without speedstepping. With the last one from 6.11. I had speedstepping but without UHCI/EHCI fixes:-) I try to combine both if you don't have better idea. Thx a lot.

This shouldn't happen. So a few days ago when you noticed this, what had you changed? Something must have changed.

Have you another system on your backup partition? I always have another system installed to boot into and test updates etc.. If you have then does this system behave in the same way?

All I did was restarted my system. I didn't change anything as far as I'm aware of. Unfortunately, I don't have a back up OS X in another partition. One of the NTFS drives has Vista installed. I haven't booted in Vista in months and I tried to do that again after this problem occurred and I got BSOD before Vista even got booted. I couldn't even boot it in safe mode. Something must be wrong with those NTFS drives. I haven't looked into them, yet. OS X seems to work normal other than the fact that I can't use my NTFS drives and my SATA DVD drive anymore. And this is strange, auto sleep in OS X has never worked for me before this problem started, but now it works. I lost some and gained some, not sure if this is good or bad.

Hi blackosx :thumbsup_anim:

I would like to report some success with my Speed Step :) and i think it's working

Here's what i did:

1. Used the DSDT from post 266 of this thread and modified just the _PSS part of it with my data taken from CPU-i:

2. The result in CPU-i after this modification:

3. IORegistryExplorer screen shot:

Thank you for your reply, I tried this new dsdt.aml with my CPU info and it solved my problems with UHCI/EHCI, but without speedstepping. With the last one from 6.11. I had speedstepping but without UHCI/EHCI fixes:-) I try to combine both if you don't have better idea. Thx a lot.

Combining both is your only way of sorting it. If you added your CPU info for P-States & C-States into the 6.11 one and SpeedStepping worked then add that code to the new one. I have added a revised DSDT to the front page which you might want to try :unsure:

All I did was restarted my system. I didn't change anything as far as I'm aware of. Unfortunately, I don't have a back up OS X in another partition. One of the NTFS drives has Vista installed. I haven't booted in Vista in months and I tried to do that again after this problem occurred and I got BSOD before Vista even got booted. I couldn't even boot it in safe mode. Something must be wrong with those NTFS drives. I haven't looked into them, yet. OS X seems to work normal other than the fact that I can't use my NTFS drives and my SATA DVD drive anymore. And this is strange, auto sleep in OS X has never worked for me before this problem started, but now it works. I lost some and gained some, not sure if this is good or bad.

I really don't know what to suggest gunterTheMonkey. If you need Windows then this is a problem, but if you don't then you can just wipe the drives.

Hi blackosx :D

I would like to report some success with my Speed Step :) and i think it's working

Well done rednous :)

It does prove it working, although your IORegsitryExplorer screenshot shows only 5 x P-States (0-4), but in your CPU-i screenshot you have 6 x P-States (1-6). Also, does CPU-i status tab show the voltage drop to 1.068V for x6 multiplier? as it's currently showing 1.116V on your screenshot.

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck adapting Master Chief's P5K PRO DSDT for our GA-EP45 D3SL boards?

If so could you post your DSDT.dsl, I would like to start work on a generic version for our gigabyte boards.

Master Chief's DSDT work looks great, I'm sure we can pool our efforts here and come up with something as good.

Master Chief's P5K PRO - Custom DSDT v3.x

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...45&t=177497

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck adapting Master Chief's P5K PRO DSDT for our GA-EP45 D3SL boards?

If so could you post your DSDT.dsl, I would like to start work on a generic version for our gigabyte boards.

Master Chief's DSDT work looks great, I'm sure we can pool our efforts here and come up with something as good.

Master Chief's P5K PRO - Custom DSDT v3.x

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...45&t=177497

Already started Jimmy Jay. If you read the front page of this thread, you'll see....

26th October 2009 - 15:03

Any new generic DSDT files I make for this mobo. I will post them below

The Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread is ongoing and being led mostly by Master Chief. His goal (i think) is to build a universal DSDT for Gigabyte motherboards based on a MacPro 3,1. Even though I am attempting to, there is a lot I don't understand so I will write here what I know and any further questions will have to be directed to the experts on the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread. For now though, I will keep this thread up to date with any DSDT files that we can use from that thread, and post them in the DSDT section at the bottom of this post.

Yes, you're right. Masterchief's work on the P5K Pro thread is more advanced but he is contributing everything to the Gigabyte DSDT thread which has the aim of building a generic Gigabyte DSDT (or as near as can be possible). As I have been tweaking my DSDT, I have been posting it to the front page for the users of this mobo to look at and use with their systems (although you will need to change the P-State data for your CPU).

Well done rednous :(

It does prove it working, although your IORegsitryExplorer screenshot shows only 5 x P-States (0-4), but in your CPU-i screenshot you have 6 x P-States (1-6). Also, does CPU-i status tab show the voltage drop to 1.068V for x6 multiplier? as it's currently showing 1.116V on your screenshot.

yep, CPU-i shows a voltage drop to 1.068V. that screen shot is made in a moment i got 1.116V :)

yep, CPU-i shows a voltage drop to 1.068V. that screen shot is made in a moment i got 1.116V :)

Great. So how about IORegsitryExplorer showing 5 x P-States (0-4), but your CPU-i screenshot showing you 6 x P-States (1-6)? Shouldn't you have the same number of P-States in both?

Hi Blackosx, I have now fully working dsdt with speedstep. I have right now 7 states in my dsdt, but voodoomonitor.app shows that I have 14(!) states on my cpu (E5200). I dont know if i have to add them all to my dsdt. I have currently all with x0,5 multiplier. I have also little bit higher temperatures in idle (51 degrees). But it was the same also with nullcpupowerManagement.kext.

See my screenshots from voodoomonitor and MSR Tools.

post-385384-1257863572_thumb.png

post-385384-1257863594_thumb.png

post-385384-1257863605_thumb.png

post-385384-1257863613_thumb.png

Hi Blackosx, I have now fully working dsdt with speedstep. I have right now 7 states in my dsdt, but voodoomonitor.app shows that I have 14(!) states on my cpu (E5200). I dont know if i have to add them all to my dsdt. I have currently all with x0,5 multiplier. I have also little bit higher temperatures in idle (51 degrees). But it was the same also with nullcpupowerManagement.kext.

Did VoodooMonitor show 14 x P-States when running just with VoodooPower.kext and a basic DSDT (without any _PSS or _CST info), so as not to influence the results?