[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

Hi joe2108 .

I am not very good at checking DSDT's as I am still learning about my own. It is a complicated subject and devices like SBUS are part of the ICH10 standard. You can read more about from Intel's datasheet.

I have stripped a lot of information out of mine and my latest (work-in progress) one is on the front page of my DSDT thread (near the bottom). You can use that for comparison. As I have been using MasterChief's DSDT v3.2 for reference for my own.

From your screenshots the P-States look okay. And the info will be slightly different from P-StateChanger to VoodooMonitor as they use slightly different algorithms. As to why you get a worse geekbench result with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded, I don't know?

All I can suggest is you ask at FormerlyKnownAs' thread for help by the experts.

Hi, blackosx.

I excluded the sata fix from DSDT. Putting the orangeiconfix.kext in /e/e didn't work.

Can you explain what you did to load this kext from there?

Thanks.

When you say you've excluded the SATA fix, did you remove it completely? as I only meant for you to change it.

I have the following code in my DSDT..

Device (SATA)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                  Return (MCID (Arg2, 0x3A22))
               }
           }

Then just having the OrangeIconFix.kext in /E/E will work.

When you say you've excluded the SATA fix, did you remove it completely? as I only meant for you to change it.

I have the following code in my DSDT..

Device (SATA)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                  Return (MCID (Arg2, 0x3A22))
               }
           }

Then just having the OrangeIconFix.kext in /E/E will work.

In your DSDT pdf guide you tell people to put some code in/below the Device (IDE1) section, just above Device (PRIM).

I don't have the Device (SATA) section you have just described. I think I missed the post about the Device (SATA) section.

Can you please tell me what to do? I simply deleted the sata fix described in your DSDT manual and put the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext back in /E/E because OrangeIconFix.kext didn't work, even when put in /S/L/E.

In your DSDT pdf guide you tell people to put some code in/below the Device (IDE1) section, just above Device (PRIM).

I don't have the Device (SATA) section you have just described. I think I missed the post about the Device (SATA) section.

Can you please tell me what to do? I simply deleted the sata fix described in your DSDT manual and put the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext back in /E/E because OrangeIconFix.kext didn't work, even when put in /S/L/E.

Search on DSDT for: '0x001F0002' (without quotes), if it can found something, take a look on 'Device' section, and use code on them.

Will you needing for GA-EP43-DS3L pack files yet ? If yes, i can send to you tonight. PM-me on HMBT.

Luck.

Regards.

Search on DSDT for: '0x001F0002' (without quotes), if it can found something, take a look on 'Device' section, and use code on them.

Will you needing for GA-EP43-DS3L pack files yet ? If yes, i can send to you tonight. PM-me on HMBT.

Luck.

Regards.

I found this:

Device (IDE1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
               OperationRegion (PCI, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0x20)
               Field (PCI, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   ITM0,   16, 
                   ITM1,   16, 
                   SIT0,   4, 
                   SIT1,   4, 
                           Offset (0x08), 
                   UDC0,   2, 
                   UDC1,   2, 
                           Offset (0x0A), 
                   UDT0,   8, 
                   UDT1,   8, 
                           Offset (0x14), 
                   ICF0,   2, 
                   ICF1,   2, 
                       ,   6, 
                   WPPE,   1, 
                       ,   1, 
                   FAS0,   2, 
                   FAS1,   2
               }

It is just above the Device (PRIM) section. According to BlackOSX DSDT guide, this is where I was supposed to put the sata fix, with the code below:

Method (_DSM, 4 NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02) {
"device-id", Buffer (0x04) {
0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
} }, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0)) Return (Local0)
}

I deleted this fix, because I want to use OrangeIconFix.kext, but this kext doesn't work.

In my previous v1.4 DSDT guide I did show you how to apply a SATA fix that you added at the bottom of the Device (IDE1) section, which was above the Device (PRIM). This turned out to be incorrect.

A lot has happened with DSDT lately and my DSDT guide is fairly old now. As I have said on the front page of this thread, there is a new Gigabyte DSDT fix thread which goes way beyond the details in my guide. The new DSDT's I have been posting at the bottom of the front page are the result of my workings from that thread, MasterChief's hard work from the P5K Pro thread and the information contained in FormerlyKnownAs' SpeedStep thread. The DSDT's posted are a work-in progress and confirmed as working for my system. I can't guarantee they are 100% correct as I am still learning myself.

When I talk about a SATA section, I am referring to my latest DSDT's which I have posted here. The SATA section you can't find is in yours (as thiagomorales said) just with a different name. You'll have it as Device (IDE1).

Can you please tell me what to do?

You do have the GA-EP45-DS3L with F11b BIOS don't you?

If you do then I can suggest you take this DSDT file here and try using it. It's a modified version of my latest one with the speedstep data for my CPU removed. It doesn't contain any video so will have to add yours if you want it in DSDT. If it doesn't work, then you can use it to compare with yours to bring yours up to date.

GA_EP45_DS3L_Generic_DSDT.dsl.zip

I simply deleted the sata fix described in your DSDT manual and put the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext back in /E/E because OrangeIconFix.kext didn't work, even when put in /S/L/E.

Once you have the new DSDT loaded, the OrangeIconFix.kext which you have in E/E (not S/L/E) will do it's job.

In my previous v1.4 DSDT guide I did show you how to apply a SATA fix that you added at the bottom of the Device (IDE1) section, which was above the Device (PRIM). This turned out to be incorrect.

A lot has happened with DSDT lately and my DSDT guide is fairly old now. As I have said on the front page of this thread, there is a new Gigabyte DSDT fix thread which goes way beyond the details in my guide. The new DSDT's I have been posting at the bottom of the front page are the result of my workings from that thread, MasterChief's hard work from the P5K Pro thread and the information contained in FormerlyKnownAs' SpeedStep thread. The DSDT's posted are a work-in progress and confirmed as working for my system. I can't guarantee they are 100% correct as I am still learning myself.

When I talk about a SATA section, I am referring to my latest DSDT's which I have posted here. The SATA section you can't find is in yours (as thiagomorales said) just with a different name. You'll have it as Device (IDE1).

You do have the GA-EP45-DS3L with F11b BIOS don't you?

If you do then I can suggest you take this DSDT file here and try using it. It's a modified version of my latest one with the speedstep data for my CPU removed. It doesn't contain any video so will have to add yours if you want it in DSDT. If it doesn't work, then you can use it to compare with yours to bring yours up to date.

GA_EP45_DS3L_Generic_DSDT.dsl.zip

Once you have the new DSDT loaded, the OrangeIconFix.kext which you have in E/E (not S/L/E) will do it's job.

My board is an EP45-UD3L with bios F7 bios.

Ah... I see.

Well it's pretty similar to the EP45-DS3L, but there might be some difference.

In that case use your previous post #332 which was correct. So add the 2nd block of code back in after the first block of code, above Device (PRIM) but change

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

to read

0x22, 0x3a 0x00, 0x00

So in effect, you are going back to what you used before you removed this SATA fix, but just changing some numbers.

Does that help?

try this.. but update your bios.. check for new bios for EP45-UD3L F8a (i'm using this)

take alook post 326

my post with DSDT attachment

My Gear :

Core2duo E7500 2937

EP45-UD3L bios F8a

Please Change DSDT to your specific Processor (mine C2D E7500 @2937)

Extra/Extensions

fakesmc.kext

FixOrange.kext or IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext or *use this if you cannot restart or shutdown

UUID,kext or.... hhmm sorry forget

in My case, sleep & wakeup work !

with ppleCPUPowerManagement.kext my temp related low about 29C and 35C

but i dont know about SBUS or other device thing on DSDT "still learning"

But I have now learned to understand why this was the wrong thing to do. So I have changed the DSDT to read ICH10 as it should be, and also the latest Mac's use ICH10. One of the extra things that ICH10 supports is SATA hot-plug which allows you to eject and remove a hard drive (you will see the eject icon against volumes in the sidebar of Finder windows). Now Apple haven't include this feature in to OS X yet (maybe a design reason as their cases don't allow for connecting an external SATA drive) so the OS recognises the HD's as external, and therefore it draw's Orange icons and this is where we need a fix. I used to use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from Chameleon, but I have since come across THe KiNG's OrangeIconFix.kext which I am using now.

Blackosx thanks for all your guides and your efforts to help us all,

I have been using your latest dsdt the one you have modified from masterchief's v3.2( I have modified it for my cpu q6600)

I was just going t o ask you about the eject buttons next to the volumes...

well I use a chembro case with 4 hot plugable sata drive bays on it ..... so i have given it a try

ejected one of the volumes plug the volume out and the plug it back in...

It did not mount back the drive automaticly I had to use disk utility to mount it back..

it works with no problems.... only disk utility took a while to open with the spinning color wheel...

so thanks again :D

Blackosx thanks for all your guides and your efforts to help us all,

It's good to know they are appreciated, though I am finding I have less time these days to keep the guides as current as I would like and to be honest this one is showing it's age now.

I have been using your latest dsdt the one you have modified from masterchief's v3.2( I have modified it for my cpu q6600)

Good work. And is it working well for you with no sign of problems?

I was just going t o ask you about the eject buttons next to the volumes...

well I use a chembro case with 4 hot plugable sata drive bays on it ..... so i have given it a try

ejected one of the volumes plug the volume out and the plug it back in...

It did not mount back the drive automaticly I had to use disk utility to mount it back..

it works with no problems.... only disk utility took a while to open with the spinning color wheel...

Thanks for actually testing this out with external drives, as I haven't been able to. I can only use it with internal drives and I can eject four partitions successfully and then re-mount them using Disk Utility instantly.

Has anybody compared the DSDT.dsl files for different Gigabyte motherboards just after making DSDT.aml with Koalala's ACPI patcher and decompiling it? I think they must be almost the same, because Blackosx told he used a DSDT.aml made for an EP35 motherboard without problems. Can you confirm this?

I ask you because I used the last generic DSDT file with EP45-UD3L. The system booted and everything seemed to be OK, except for the orange icons of my hard drives, which I couldn't "make gray" with orangeiconfix.kext, but where "grayed" at last with the ioahciblockstorageinjection.kext.

Is it a good idea to compare my UD3L DSDT and the one made for DS3L side by side, changing the differences in mine? Will it be a waste of time? Do the code for DS3L apply for the UD3L irrestrictly, as they have the same hardware? DSDT changes with bios revision?

because Blackosx told he used a DSDT.aml made for an EP35 motherboard without problems.

When did I say that?

It's always best to make your own DSDT from your own hardware. If you are going to use somebody else's then at least make sure it's from the same motherboard and it's always sensible to check the code against your own so you can verify the values.

When did I say that?

It's always best to make your own DSDT from your own hardware. If you are going to use somebody else's then at least make sure it's from the same motherboard and it's always sensible to check the code against your own so you can verify the values.

Here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2518&st=137#

That's why I think DSDTs are almost the same for Gigabyte boards, despite the bios version.

Here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2518&st=137#

That's why I think DSDTs are almost the same for Gigabyte boards, despite the bios version.

Good find.... I did say that yes. I thought you meant in this thread. Lol ;)

I did try iSoprano's DSDT and it did work, but I didn't examine it closely. It makes sense that the Gigabyte DSDT's are similar as the engineers will use a standard DSDT and just tweak what they need for each board. Maybe someone needs to sit down a compare a few original DSDT's to be certain. It would be a good exercise and it might help clear the issue?

But for now, using a DSDT from another board permanently is up to you. I am still learning this too, and I can only relay what I have read and that is it's best to use your own one.

EDIT: How about collecting Gigabyte DSDT's made from the original BIOS file using APCIPatcher 0.2 Beta 5 with only the Local0 Fix and WAK Fix to allow it to compile. And then decompile to a .dsl file using iASLMe_Nov_2009 from here.

Here's mine.

For_Comparison_GA_EP45_DS3L_BIOS_F11b_dsdt.dsl.zip

Or the one from DSDT file from Linux acpidump.

Here's mine.

DSDT_r1_GBT_GBTUACPI_1000_MSFT_100000C.dsl.zip

Good find.... I did say that yes. I thought you meant in this thread. Lol ;)

I did try iSoprano's DSDT and it did work, but I didn't examine it closely. It makes sense that the Gigabyte DSDT's are similar as the engineers will use a standard DSDT and just tweak what they need for each board. Maybe someone needs to sit down a compare a few original DSDT's to be certain. It would be a good exercise and it might help clear the issue?

But for now, using a DSDT from another board permanently is up to you. I am still learning this too, and I can only relay what I have read and that is it's best to use your own one.

EDIT: How about collecting Gigabyte DSDT's made from the original BIOS file using APCIPatcher 0.2 Beta 5 with only the Local0 Fix and WAK Fix to allow it to compile. And then decompile to a .dsl file using iASLMe_Nov_2009 from here.

Here's mine.

For_Comparison_GA_EP45_DS3L_BIOS_F11b_dsdt.dsl.zip

Or the one from DSDT file from Linux acpidump.

Here's mine.

DSDT_r1_GBT_GBTUACPI_1000_MSFT_100000C.dsl.zip

Good idea. I'm a noob in DSDT editing, but I think I can read quite well :rolleyes: . I'll try to compare the pure dsdt.aml files (different boards and different bios versions of the same board).

Hi, Blackosx.

I tried your last dsdt.aml file with my EP45-UD3L motherboard. Everything worked well, except the processor :D

The Geekbench score for my C2Q Q9505 dropped from 6200 to 4100 (the same with a Pentium Dual Core E6300 I had before).

I noted your 'processor tree' section is different from the one I have in my original dsdt.aml. I changed the number of processors (you say somewhere that for quad core processors one entry should read 4 instead of 2), but that didn't solve the problem.

I know I need to adapt your dsdt.aml to my board. I tried to use my 'processor tree' with your file, but I get compile errors.

What do you think needs to be changed? I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Blackosx.

I tried your last dsdt.aml file with my EP45-UD3L motherboard. Everything worked well, except the processor ;)

The Geekbench score for my C2Q Q9505 dropped from 6200 to 4100 (the same with a Pentium Dual Core E6300 I had before).

I noted your 'processor tree' section is different from the one I have in my original dsdt.aml. I changed the number of processors (you say somewhere that for quad core processors one entry should read 4 instead of 2), but that didn't solve the problem.

I know I need to adapt your dsdt.aml to my board. I tried to use my 'processor tree' with your file, but I get compile errors.

What do you think needs to be changed? I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Always change any Scope (_PR) section on a DSDT to use your own CPU data. My latest DSDT's contain information for my E7300 core 2 duo. Go back a few pages here and read this post to find out how to make your own Scope (_PR) section.

Always change any Scope (_PR) section on a DSDT to use your own CPU data. My latest DSDT's contain information for my E7300 core 2 duo. Go back a few pages here and read this post to find out how to make your own Scope (_PR) section.

I see. I've just noticed the scope sections for cpu2 and cpu3 are missing.

Sorry for so many questions, when the answers have already been given.

I see. I've just noticed the scope sections for cpu2 and cpu3 are missing.

Sorry for so many questions, when the answers have already been given.

See my DSDT file, its edited for my C2Q - Q9550, on stock frequencies.

If you has same processor you can use it.

Regards.

and one thing.. in red font where do you get it?

Name (_CST, Package (0x04)

{

0x03,

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000)},1,1,1000},

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x414)},2,1,500},

Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (SystemIO, 8, 0, 0x415)},3,17,250}

})

would you see my DSDT.. seems it's always work on lower P-state.. even I load huge program..

(check with voodoo monitor & cpu-i)

but if i run pstatechanger, yes the pstate work.. up and down it should be

Quickly looking at it, I'm not sure. Did you remove VoodooPState.kext from /S/L/E at the same time you added the VoodooMonitor.kext in /E/E? (I don't think you can run both together).

I see you have posted a request in the Gigabyte Fix thread and hopefully somebody will be able to help you. But maybe you should have posted it in FormerlyKnownAs's Vanilla SpeedStep thread as that's the main thread for that.

and one thing.. in red font where do you get it?

For C-States, read this reply from a couple of page before this one :)

For a bit more information about the numbers, you can try reading this post by MasterChief or download the ACPIspec40.pdf from here.