GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

Pathy,

Please do post step by step instructions. I have a motherboard with the same graphics chip. Would like to use the on board graphics if possible.

h50

Sorry for the late reply. Busy with work these days... Here are the steps.

System details.

Model: Sony FW245J/HC

Graphics: Intel 4500MHD

Mac: 10.6.2 (Venilla)

Bootloader: myHack v1.0

I got only 1024x768 resolution at first. Then I did the following.

1. Download DSDTSE

2. Open it and Click on "Extract DSDT" at the bottom. This will open current DSDT for your system.

3. Then select "Method DTGP.dsl" from the"DSDT hacks" dropdown. This will bring up a new window with DTGP method.

4. Copy the DTGP method and paste it on your DSDT window right after the headers. It should look like…

DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 1, "Sony", "VAIO", 0x20080725)

{

External (PDC3)

External (PDC2)

External (PDC1)

External (PDC0)

External (CFGD)

External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC)

External (\_SB_.LID_._LID)

<Paset it here…..> Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

5. From DSDTSE application select "Intel GMA X3100 Laptop hack.dsl" from the "DSDT hacks" dropdown. This will open another windows with hack details. Copy the code starting from "Device (GFX)" to the end and paste it as shown below.

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)

Device (GFX) /* <------------- Hack begins */

5. click on "Compile DSDT" from the top right corner. Make sure you get successful compilation.

6. Click on "Install DSDT" and select the following locations. ( I did it just to make sure it is being used)

a. Mac Hard disk root

b. Mac Hard disk Extra folder

c. BootLoader root folder

d. BootLoader Extra folder.

7. Download the patched Intel GMAX4500 kexts and drivers.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

I am sure I downloaded it from this forum but I can send it to you if don't find it. All credit goes to the original user who uploaded it to this site.

8. Install the above kexts and drivers using Kext Helper b7.

9. Restart with -V option. You should see a message that AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext is being loaded with warning. Then you should get native 1600x900 resolution.

• 3 weeks later...
Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :) )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

YESSS!!!!!!! IT WORKED ... AFTER 2 DAYS OF SEARCHING, TRIAL AND ERROR ... well here are my specs.

Toshiba: Satellite, L305-S5957

Graphics Card: Mobile Intel 4 Express Series (GMA 4500)

Intel Celeron 900 <-- could be better

4 gig ddr2 ram

350 gig HDD

win7/iAtkos 10.5.7 Dual boot with MyHack

now if can only get REALTEC L8187 WIRELESS WORKING .... still working on that ... well off to search.

THANK YOU!!!

Hello! i did the procedure, my number is the same as yours, i have an HP TM2 1090eg but is not working for me, when i boot back its the same, 1024 resolution°!!!!

any help??distro snow hazard 10.6.2

• 3 weeks later...
Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :D )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

I performed this script and now i get a black screen. I don't know how to get it back to normal. I would like to have my 1366x786 resoltion but at this point i would just be happy to get it to anything...

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545

Can someone help me figure this out please. Thank you.

[uPDATE] Use this command in order to revert this option.

Boot up with this option -v -s

at root enter this

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

reboot

This will remove this script...

I performed this script and now i get a black screen. I don't know how to get it back to normal. I would like to have my 1366x786 resoltion but at this point i would just be happy to get it to anything...

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545

Can someone help me figure this out please. Thank you.

This should help you :): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191968

iPoco

I hate to be a troll... but it seems really odd that the only people claiming that this works, are very new people with 1 or 2 posts, including the person that posted the solution.. only had 2 posts. Sounds like he/she is making new accounts to say it works and then people try it and get a black screen. Can someone try this out (someone that has been here awhile and has 4500 intel graphics. I would try it, but I do not have it, I am thinking about getting an all-in-one pc with x4500HD graphics, so if this works... im grabbing it ASAP... but dont want to buy it and find out that this method was just a hoax. Thanks in advance.

Also, if this does actually work and the poster of the method is genuine (Pathy), thanks and sorry for the accusation.

It may or may not work,it's not the method I use on my Toshiba with 4500 graphics,even if it does work it's only going to give you native resolution,there is no fix that will give you QE/CI so if you buy something with 4500 graphics you won't have graphics acceleration,plus lots of Apple software won't work(preview,screenshot,iphoto,idvd +more)so you will have to look for 3rd party apps that do work and you'll will end up checking the forums for a fix every day,always hoping but none come(i know i've done it for a year now).Then you'll tell yourself it's not so bad,you don't really need QE but you'll keep checking and then you'll start look for something new or go back to Windows in frustration.So I'd say NO don't buy it until there is a 100% working 4500 fix.

thank you

no

wait

THANK YOU ¡¡¡¡

it's working on my system

Packardbell BG48

Intel Pentium Dual Core t4200

Intel 4500MHD Device ID 2A42

2 gigs of ddr2 ram 667mhz

250 gb western digital hard drive

Using iatkos S3 v2

i have a little question, is there any way to see specifically what/which patches and drivers i used for the installation of my iatkos system?

i can't remember all of them and i'm worried because of the posibility that something may fail and a reinstallation could be necesary

sorry for posting this here and sorry for my english(i'm chilean, so this is not my native languaje )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something went wrong, i can't start my system :/

it shows a blue screen but won't start :)

something went wrong, i can't start my system :/

it shows a blue screen but won't start :)

Try to boot on 64bits, if it works then the problem is on the patched kexts. Remove the modified X3100 kexts and reboot your system.

Well thanks.

It does work for me.

My Spec is Acer Apsire 4736z GMA4500M with Snow Leopard on 10.6.3

I managed to fix the native resolution with ur patch but I still can't fix the brightness control issue.

my brightness now is like defaulted to 50%

Hope someone can have a fix for me to at least enable brightness control in display.

Please help thank you.

Well thanks.

It does work for me.

My Spec is Acer Apsire 4736z GMA4500M with Snow Leopard on 10.6.3

I managed to fix the native resolution with ur patch but I still can't fix the brightness control issue.

my brightness now is like defaulted to 50%

Hope someone can have a fix for me to at least enable brightness control in display.

Please help thank you.

Check this out 

This is how I got the brightness control working, with slider and everything :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just want to confirm that this works perfectly for me too on my Acer Extensa (I don't know the model number because the sticker came off):

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0009

I have an acer aspire 4730z with iatkos s3 running snow leopard 10.6.3 and your method worked flawlessly this time. I tried this method previously with MBR partition and failed "Blue Screen". I reformatted with GUID partitioned as one disk and reinstalled everything. UGH. The external display connector also works as it should with my 22" Visio TV with a display resolution of 1366 x 768.

Anyways, if you want my specs, here they are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.0073.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): SOMESRLNMBR

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00242B41925B

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0007

ROM Revision: OpenGL Engine activated via EFI String

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

VA220E:

Resolution: 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Software Versions:

Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)

configd plug-in: 6.2 (620.15.1)

System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)

Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)

AirPort Utility: 5.5.1 (551.19)

IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)

Interfaces:

en0:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0xE006)

Firmware Version: Atheros 9280: 2.1.9.8

Locale: APAC

Country Code:

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Wake On Wireless: Supported

Current Network Information:

dlink:

PHY Mode: 802.11g

BSSID: 0:1e:58:34:ce:4f

Channel: 6

Network Type: Infrastructure

Security: None

Signal / Noise: -63 dBm / -96 dBm

Transmit Rate: 54

Hitachi HTS543225L9A300:

Capacity: 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 bytes)

Model: Hitachi HTS543225L9A300

Revision: FBEOC40C

Serial Number: 081212FB2F00LLKEJGRA

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Mac OS X:

Capacity: 249.72 GB (249,715,376,128 bytes)

Available: 229.52 GB (229,519,294,464 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Hope this helps everybody! Also, note. When I installed iaktos S3, i installed the x3100 kexts even though i knew it wouldn't load them for my graphics. The reason I did this is because the last time i tried this patch and failed miserably without having the x3100 kexts in my "extensions" folder.

I have attached the patches i used. Instructions are inside the compressed file.

x4500_patch.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey the patch worked to get native resolution but i have a problem with the screen being a very horrible taint of blue, and my mouse is a massive square any help with this fault would be awesome.

laptop model (advent 6552)

Integrated Intel GL40 Express Chipset Family (gma x4500) - actual hardware

resoultion 1400x900

displays graphics card as x3500

apart from these and the fact my screen now looks like a faulty amiga 500

it works

pllleeease help

you guys rock btw

:D

Hey the patch worked to get native resolution but i have a problem with the screen being a very horrible taint of blue, and my mouse is a massive square any help with this fault would be awesome.

laptop model (advent 6552)

Integrated Intel GL40 Express Chipset Family (gma x4500) - actual hardware

resoultion 1400x900

displays graphics card as x3500

apart from these and the fact my screen now looks like a faulty amiga 500

it works

pllleeease help

you guys rock btw

:)

I'm not an expert here but I don't think this patch was intended for your chipset. Its only intended for actual gma 4500 chips. Keep searching for your chip specifically and eventually there may be a fix. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.