GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P)
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

patch4500_2.bash.zip

• Like 2

It's maybe interesting for everybody who got it working to write down the hardware they use in their post, so other people using the same hardware can find the procedure and if it works or not :)

I've got a Toshiba L300-19F (Model PSLB8E-01200DBT) and it's working (as said before, no qe/ci, but I get native resolution without having to use a complex hack, and can switch resolution.

Hello there,

I've tried the kexts with latitude e6400 but i've faced all the time same problem of blue screen before my desktop comes to alive.

i've tested it with 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 but with no luck.

We really need of some help here from all OSX 86 gurus....

Please listen to the public.

Very interesting..

I was involved with getting the GMA950 driver hack to work a few years ago using the same hack method that you guys are describing. Can I ask what does system profiler report?

Does it report as a X3100 type Graphics card? if so has anyone tried EFI strings to get QE/CI working?

Just a thought??

Very interesting..

I was involved with getting the GMA950 driver hack to work a few years ago using the same hack method that you guys are describing. Can I ask what does system profiler report?

Does it report as a X3100 type Graphics card? if so has anyone tried EFI strings to get QE/CI working?

Just a thought??

We tried using a custom DSDT to get the same effect.. System profiler did report X3100 before trauma made me a custom DSDT, now it reports X4500.. But we're stuck, any help of people knowing more is welcome! Look at the originating thread I posted in my first post, at page 11 there is an analysis of what seems possible to do..

Hello there,

I've tried the kexts with latitude e6400 but i've faced all the time same problem of blue screen before my desktop comes to alive.

i've tested it with 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 but with no luck.

We really need of some help here from all OSX 86 gurus....

Please listen to the public.

If you get a blue screen and nothing else, remove the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, we're still looking for a way to be able to use the AppleIngelGMAX3100.kext properly :)

Very interesting..

Just a thought??

would you mind helping us a little over at the original thread? We're stuck at the moment..

Unfortunately this isn't working for me. I have a new SX2800 system. Specs here:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529...1.php?tab=specs

After reboot, I do see the two AppleIntel files mentioned in the right directory but when I go to system preferences -> Displays, it still only shows me the single option of 1024 x 768

I'm new to MACs and any help you can provide would be appreciated

Thanks

Unfortunately this isn't working for me. I have a new SX2800 system. Specs here:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529...1.php?tab=specs

After reboot, I do see the two AppleIntel files mentioned in the right directory but when I go to system preferences -> Displays, it still only shows me the single option of 1024 x 768

I'm new to MACs and any help you can provide would be appreciated

Thanks

Have you used correct device id?

The desktop version is different from mobile version.

Please read post #1 carefully.

Can' get it to work... I'm sure I'm getting the right Device Number, and is the same as yours, and Im sure it's mobile 'cause I'm on a Notebook (Dell inspiron 1545), and still I can't get it to work.

The System Profiler tells me that no kext were loaded to the Graphics... Any ideas?

PS.: I already tried to boot on -x...

[uPDATE]

I booted on -x and done the same thing, now my screen is black and I can't get past the login screen...

[uPDATE 2X]

Got it to 1024x768 by deleting via command Line (-s) the 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100 | AppleIntelGMAX3100 | AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

i'm find solution from my GMA X3500 Card!

This is specifically for GMA X4500, don't think this method works for X3500.. Can't help you straight away (although, if you look for your device ID and follow this tutorial, it might be possible to get it working.. Though I don't know about it.. Otherwise, look in the forums, it's got a search function, we all had to do it.. I know there's a mass of information to go through, but there's no other way..)

I did the whole tutorial:

-terminal...sudo -s...run the bash script with -vrf 2a42 options (my hardware id is 2a42)

-after that i repair the permissions

-then reboot the mashine (Toshiba Satellite L300-19J, the most hardwares works fine, except the graphic card ;) and the wifi (intel 5100 agn), the wifi hasn't 3rd party support)

-after the reboot, I don't have native resolution, so don't wokr the patch correctly

The mashine is Toshiba Satellite L300-19J, I installed iAtkos v7 10.5.7.

P.S.: I'm a beginner in this OSX thing.

I have a Toshiba L350-20G and the patch fails too, for some reason the device ID is not injected into the kext at all, it's just left with >8086<.

When using pre-patched kext's I get the native resolution, but with white horizontal lines every other pixel, making the display hard to read.

I did notice that without the patch System Info shows that I have a Inbuilt Display attached, however when using the patched kext's it shows no display attached.

I've removed OS X for now, needed the extra space, but will install it again later today.

If you want me to provide and further details just ask.

I have a Toshiba L350-20G and the patch fails too, for some reason the device ID is not injected into the kext at all, it's just left with >8086<.>

When using pre-patched kext's I get the native resolution, but with white horizontal lines every other pixel, making the display hard to read.

I did notice that without the patch System Info shows that I have a Inbuilt Display attached, however when using the patched kext's it shows no display attached.

I've removed OS X for now, needed the extra space, but will install it again later today.

If you want me to provide and further details just ask.

Haven't had the problem with the script. Technically the end result of the script and the pre-patched kexts should be identical. 8086 is actually the Vendor (Intel) so it should stay as this. It is OK that it says it does not have a display attached. Going by others results it does not affect anything (at the moment :().

Interesting though about the lines. I also get them but when you connect to an external display the lines are not there on external display (they stay on the built-in). At the moment I'm trying with tienneke to address the no cursor issue which seems to be only affecting Lenovo users. Anyways hope to find a solution for this too. Its kind of hard to use with no mouse and white lines everywhere :(

iPoco

8086 is actually the Vendor (Intel) so it should stay as this.

What I mean is that 8086 is all that is left, no device ID is patched in at all.

I'm using iAtkos 10.5.7, I have replaced all the GMA* kext's with ones from the 10.5.7 combo update.

Another thing I have noted is that with stock kext's I am stuck with 1024x768 but the X3100 kext get's loaded.

The no cursor issue may be related to the white lines problem.

Could it be that the kexts are setting the external display as primary and the internal as a mirror display?

Is their a way of turning off the external display, I don't have the option in BIOS, mine is setup as a dual display in bios.

If I use the display switch button on the laptop the internal display switches off, and just wont cycle back to it, I don't have a external monitor to test.

What I mean is that 8086 is all that is left, no device ID is patched in at all.

I'm using iAtkos 10.5.7, I have replaced all the GMA* kext's with ones from the 10.5.7 combo update.

Another thing I have noted is that with stock kext's I am stuck with 1024x768 but the X3100 kext get's loaded.

The no cursor issue may be related to the white lines problem.

Could it be that the kexts are setting the external display as primary and the internal as a mirror display?

Is their a way of turning off the external display, I don't have the option in BIOS, mine is setup as a dual display in bios.

If I use the display switch button on the laptop the internal display switches off, and just wont cycle back to it, I don't have a external monitor to test.

The script does not patch the extisting files. It copies them and then patches the copied kexts. Once you have run the script you will notice in your extensions folder that there are two new kexts (or if you used -r only one):

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext (This one is removed with -r)

So it is normal that there are no changes to the original AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext files.

The no cursor issue seems to be unrelated to the white lines problem as some people such as chopped experience the no cursor issue but have no white lines on the display.

iPoco

The script does not patch the extisting files. It copies them and then patches the copied kexts. Once you have run the script you will notice in your extensions folder that there are two new kexts (or if you used -r only one):

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext (This one is removed with -r)

So it is normal that there are no changes to the original AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext files.

The no cursor issue seems to be unrelated to the white lines problem as some people such as chopped experience the no cursor issue but have no white lines on the display.

iPoco

Yes I know.

The patch does not change the device id in the 2a42*.kext's it literally removes it.

I'll re-install OS X tomorrow and I'll post up the kexts as they are AFTER i run the patch script.

Yes I know.

The patch does not change the device id in the 2a42*.kext's it literally removes it.

I'll re-install OS X tomorrow and I'll post up the kexts as they are AFTER i run the patch script.

You're talking about the Info.plist file in the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext I believe, it works with a match, and as such indeed is only left with 8086..

It actually matches with every device of class 0x03 and made by 8086 (the mask is 0x03000000&0xff000000, which results in 0x30, same method for the PCIMatch).

So that's normal (if it's that you talk about)..

Or do you mean it doesn't actually hexedit your files?

Try using the patcher script in the top of the thread, I updated it. This one should work perfectly :D

The new patch works fine, and I did mean the info.plist.

I still get the vertical lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.

I've tried all the fix's that people used with laptops and the GMA950 holding on blue screens, but none worked

[edit]

oops