X4500 Native Brightness control fix (DSDT MOD)

rDrG

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, after doing some research and trying maaany different non-working fixes I was able to achieve the brightness control on my HP laptop.

I got this DSDT fix using the DSDT guide posted by Silencers (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705). He has a Lenovo T60p that uses an ATI FireGL V5200 with 256MB, so if I got his fix working on my X4500 (0x2a42 rev 07) so I guess that this is pretty universal, but be warn… with DSDT mods you can’t never know if it will work before testing it in your machine.

Anyway… what I did was just adding this code in my “Scope (_SB)” block after the “_INI” method (Method (_INI….))

Device (PNLF)
{
 Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))    
 Name (_CID, "backlight")    
 Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Like this

Scope (_SB)
{
 Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
{...
}        
Device (PNLF)
{          
  Name (_CID, "backlight")         
  Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}}

After that I just compiled my DSDT, installed it on my /Extra folder and rebooted. After rebooting, I got my brightness control working! And even now I can see the brightness control on the display settings.

Good luck with this, I hope you find this useful.

EDIT: After talking with different people it seems that sometimes this fix needs to be places under the USB/EHCI devices due to the USB may stop working properly. Also this fix will make the clamshell sleep start working, so if you don't want your laptop to sleep on lid close install insomnia kext :D

Hi everyone, after doing some research and trying maaany different non-working fixes I was able to achieve the brightness control on my HP laptop.

I got this DSDT fix using the DSDT guide posted by Silencers (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705). He has a Lenovo T60p that uses an ATI FireGL V5200 with 256MB, so if I got his fix working on my X4500 (0x2a42 rev 07) so I guess that this is pretty universal, but be warn… with DSDT mods you can’t never know if it will work before testing it in your machine.

Anyway… what I did was just adding this code in my “Scope (_SB)” block after the “_INI” method (Method (_INI….))

Device (PNLF)
{
 Name (_CID, "backlight")    
 Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Like this

Scope (_SB)
{
{...
}        
Device (PNLF)
{          
  Name (_CID, "backlight")         
  Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}}

After that I just compiled my DSDT, installed it on my /Extra folder and rebooted. After rebooting, I got my brightness control working! And even now I can see the brightness control on the display settings.

I try in 10.6.2 Leo harzard with ASUS X8AIJ but no luck .

Any way thanks your help !

I try in 10.6.2 Leo harzard with ASUS X8AIJ but no luck .

Any way thanks your help !

I used the same distro on my hackintosh. Make sure that your DSDT.AML file is loading correctly. Are you using charmeleon boot loader? (use "Wait=y" as boot flag to check it if the DSDT.AML is loading).

also I'm using the GMA laptop hack on my DSDT, to get the modified X3100 kexts working. Maybe this mod is also needed for brightness control.

One more thing, check my edit for this topic, it may help you to avoid USB/EHCI problems.

• 1 month later...
I used the same distro on my hackintosh. Make sure that your DSDT.AML file is loading correctly. Are you using charmeleon boot loader? (use "Wait=y" as boot flag to check it if the DSDT.AML is loading).

also I'm using the GMA laptop hack on my DSDT, to get the modified X3100 kexts working. Maybe this mod is also needed for brightness control.

One more thing, check my edit for this topic, it may help you to avoid USB/EHCI problems.

After I fix all my DSDT and apply your trick . Finally, i got brightness control with Fn Button (my laptop is ASUS X8AIJ) with F5 and F6 button .

Thank you so much .

• 2 months later...

Device (PNLF)
{
 Name (_CID, "backlight")    
 Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Like this

Scope (_SB)
{
{...
}        
Device (PNLF)
{          
  Name (_CID, "backlight")         
  Name (_UID, 0x0A)
 Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}}

EDIT: After talking with different people it seems that sometimes this fix needs to be places under the USB/EHCI devices due to the USB may stop working properly. Also this fix will make the clamshell sleep start working, so if you don't want your laptop to sleep on lid close install insomnia kext :(

i so confuse.. could you please upload .dsdt file or email me. on diabloretriever@gmail.com ....

i'm tried it to edit the dsdt sooooooo many times and fail.. please.. thanks....