GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

This "kinda worked" for me because after doing the stuff I read here.

It worked and was I think I was in native reso of 1280x800 but there is no LCD backlight.

How can I fix that?

Running on eMachines E725

Intel GMA x4500 2A42

I've tried about Every GMA 4500 patch i can find. They all either boot to blue screen, with no cursor, or boot to bright white screen with black splotches. Can anyone please help me figure out how to get native resolution, here are my specs

Sony Vaio VGN-FW170J

Chipset Intel GM45 Express Chipset: Intel GM45 Express

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD

Running iAktos 5i 10.5.5

Please help!!!!

Chipset Intel GM45 Express

Chipset Intel GM45 Express

Same here turned in to blue screen. it seems to be able initializing as a x3100

my videochip is a GMA4500HD

and i have a laptop Compaq CQ70 205ED got all working (wifi,sound vodooHD) but the screen with VERSA drivers is no options.. cause its really looking bad at such a nice laptop. but wen i Connect My TV,LCD monitor eatch other device is working but its own lcd not. while the drivers are installed

wen its connected to a monitor or tv via the VGA interface i get really good screen and resolution which looking beloved. that keeps me trying to get it working :rolleyes:

ain`t be a manner to direct the driver or force the driver to use the buildin lcd screen like the Xorg.conf in the linux world to modify it. im not really in to the osx but i want to use it :)

im using vanilla Kernel from the installation ideneb 1.51 Leopard 10.5.7

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

tried the patch4500 but did not do magics for me i`m also running out of options after searching,and,googling with a lots of redbull and find my self pity cause im a owner of a CQ70 with the dam GMA4500X videochip

OK, update. Using the Natit.kext and the current patch, I now successfully have full native resolution on my Dell Studio 1737 17" laptop. I also have a comically large mouse pointer, but I'm alright with that for the moment. No vertical lines whatsoever. If the cursor issue was solved I'd be happy as a clam and willing to wait for any possible updates concerning QE/CI.

I have exactly the same model with all hardware that you have. I followed your steps got the Natit.kext from that post patched the kexts but I still have the vertical lines. That means that something besides Natit is fixing your vertical lines. That's why when you edited your natit EDID values nothing changed.

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :) )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a GMAX4500MHD (Device ID 0x2a42). I installed iPC 10.5.6 PPF 6 with Chameleon 2 RC1. Next I updated to 10.5.7 and 10.5.8.

This solution works for me? Or I could have problems due to chameleon 2.0?

I have to modify com.apple.Boot.plist with 133x768 resolution?

Sorry for my poor english.

Giovanni

Hello !

I'm new to this forum and relatively (a week) new to hackintosh world.

I've tried this patch too and it doesn't work (blue screen). After a lot of reading (and a sleepless night) I've been able to boot back into 10.5.7 but no go as far as 1280x800 resolution.

I've tried every tricks listed in this forum including the boot modification ("graphics mode"="1280x800x32@75") etc.. Nothing works.

I'm using Chameleon 2rc3 if it's any help.

Tienneke has exactly the same machine than I (Toshiba L300- PSLB8E), and was wondering why such differences in results we get ?

If somebody has a clue, I'd be extremly thankfull. ;)

Hi! Sorry, I've been away for a while, got myself a macbook pro, just couldn't stand the crappy trashiba anymore..

If you get to the blue screen, it probably means that the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext is still installed. To get native resolution, you just need the kext that ends in 3100FB.kext.

To remove it, boot in single user mode, and enter following:

mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
reboot

This should work :)

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a GMAX4500MHD (Device ID 0x2a42). I installed iPC 10.5.6 PPF 6 with Chameleon 2 RC1. Next I updated to 10.5.7 and 10.5.8.

This solution works for me? Or I could have problems due to chameleon 2.0?

I have to modify com.apple.Boot.plist with 133x768 resolution?

Sorry for my poor english.

Giovanni

The only way to know for sure is trying it.

Chameleon does normally not matter, it's at the moment a hard coded driver. So try it, if it fails, you can remove the driver using a few simple commands in single user mode ;)

ain`t be a manner to direct the driver or force the driver to use the buildin lcd screen like the Xorg.conf in the linux world to modify it. im not really in to the osx but i want to use it :)

im using vanilla Kernel from the installation ideneb 1.51 Leopard 10.5.7

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

The problem is that the only way of telling your pc to use the internal display, is by means of using a custom Natit

If you want a clear sketch of the problem:

the gma X4500MHD needs information from your screen in order to know what kind of screen it is, and what resolutions it supports. This information is normally stored within the EDID information in a chip on your screen(!) and sent through the display connector.

Now some laptop builders find it too cumbersome to add the 1 small wire that connects from that chip to your GMA X4500MHD. So instead, they store the information in the bios, and use a customized driver in windows, that reads the values from your BIOS.

As you might've guessed by now, the osX driver doesn't look in the BIOS, because it doesn't know what a BIOS is..(because apple uses EFI instead of a 16bit BIOS).

In order to get the information to the driver, you'd need to 'inject' it. This injecting is done by means of a custom Natit. I'm real bad at making those, but there are a lot of threads about it. Search the forum for custom Natit with EDID values.

A second problem you have is your flat panel. Apparently your GMA X4500 doesn't see the display at all. The only fix to this is forcing your GMA X4500 to look for a display on it's LVDS connector. This is done by setting the 'HasPanel' value in Natit.kext. You'll find plenty of info about that too on the forum.

I'm in real time need atm, otherwise I'd have made a natit for you that has the right options. But there's a way to fix your problem for sure ;)

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works ;) )
  • vertical stripes

Thanks for your great guide.

I have a problem getting native resolution (1440x900 is preferred) with the x4500 patch.

I've tried lots of options but the main issue is that the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB was not loaded and I still stuck with the 1024x768 resolution.

Could anyone upload the official AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts and related bundle files?

I want to start all over again and I think I messed up the offical AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts.

After getting the offical AppleIntelGMAX3100* files I should follow your guide including the software cursor solution?

Both the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB and AppleIntelGMAX3100 should be loaded?

Thanks, I'm hoping to get the native reslution so I could start programming for the iPhone :)

Thanks for all the efforts, but it still isn't working for me.

A small history: Almost a year ago, I've been trying to get OS X to run on my Toshiba L350-107 laptop (Pentium Dual-core, Intel GMA X4500 0x2A02 0x0003). Tried many distributions and always got a black or blue screen of death, until I found that deleting the GMA* kexts at least gave me display at the standard resolution. After I got OS X booting and displaying, I've been trying 100's of solutions that never worked for my darned X4500 chip.

It turned out that the 0x2A02 0x0003 is not the most widely used version, to say the least. And it differs from the other ID's and Rev's in some important aspects (I don't know which), making solutions for other ID's and Rev's practically unusable. To add to the problems, it turned out that Toshiba created a screwed DSDT, which makes things even more complicated. Correcting the DSDT was (and still is) far out of my reach, so I decided to drop OS X.

This week, I stumbled upon iAtkos V7 and decided to give it a new try, hoping that in the mean time someone was able to solve the X4500 0x2A02 0x0003 problems. But sadly, they're still there. Then I discovered this thread and decided to try this solution, because it sounded solid and universal.

I successfully updated iAtkos to 10.5.8 btw. and have all other software updates also installed. One of the things I keep running in is that the script reports my GMA3100 kexts as non-vanilla. I installed iAtkos V7 without any graphics drivers, in fact I installed it as vanilla as possible, adding only Voodoo PS/2 with trackpad support (because I can't live without trackpad scrolling), the ntfs-3g driver (because I'm still very dependant on Windows) and the laptop battery driver, because otherwise my battery doesn't show.

I followed the directions, copying the AppleIntelGMA* stuff back into Extensions, running the script with root permissions, repairing permissions on the disk, removing Extensions.mkext and rebooting with -f, only to be "greeted" again with a BSOD.

I really hope someone comes up with the solution some time, but my Toshiba seems not to be the most sold computer in the world, so I guess chances are slim.

[EDIT] Sorry, it seems I got lost a little... My chip is not an X4500 but an X3100 :) I have to search in a different direction.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to the people who created the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor and patch4500-2.bash. I managed to get 1366x768 resolution on a ACER 4736 which comes with Intel GMA 4500 MHD chipset.

I have read every post in this section but could not get display to work. After installing kalyway 10.5.1 some 10 times i moved to a different distro and got it work.

I am so new to mac that i am still reading basic howto's available on the web. But still thought i will share how i got the display to work.

a. Used the iatkos v7 to install mac.

b. During the installation process i pick all the intel display driver options

1. EFI String for intel( not verbatim)

2. x3100

3. x3100p ( description read something like drivers for some problematic cards)

c. On boot i only have 1024x768.

d. Apply the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor

e. run patch4500-2.bash

f. use osx86tools or any other method to repair permissions and set kext permissions.

g. reboot

on boot it supports 1366x768. Attached the screenshot from system profiler.

Cheers

Vj

note: one thing that i observed with this distro is that it does not have AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext in the extensions folder.

post-497065-1256455995_thumb.jpg

Hi I know for now it can't be helped but is it going to be possible for a fix for the cursor. I have a jumbo cursur and I don't know how long I can put up with it.

Any help would be great,

cheers,

dan

Updated version

1. Start a terminal

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P )
  • vertical stripes

"my screen goes blank.. huhuh"

Hi! Sorry, I've been away for a while, got myself a macbook pro, just couldn't stand the crappy trashiba anymore..

If you get to the blue screen, it probably means that the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext is still installed. To get native resolution, you just need the kext that ends in 3100FB.kext.

To remove it, boot in single user mode, and enter following:

mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
reboot

This should work :P

Thanks Tiennecke. I had it going using the 3100FB kext only indeed.

I since made lots of progress in the Hackinstosh departement... Including building a professional video/audio workstation (snow leopard on ex58-ud5, 2 nvidia dual head graphic cards + forthcoming declink hd extreme, protools etc....).

I'm glad you got a macbook pro, I feel that at least as far as laptop is concerned, nothing beats the real deal !

Hi all- this thing is sooo close to working for me. Actually, sometimes it loads up fine- native 1366x768. Other times it hangs at the login screen- looks like screendoor/ plaid. It seems to hang more when computer is not physically warmed-up - cold boot. It'll take 2-3 boots to 'grab'. Will come up 5-times staight when warm. weird.

Satellite l505-s6959 iAtkos V7 10.5.7

just running 2A42Apple...3100FB.kext no natit or cursor kext. No QE

4500MHD uggghhh. :censored2:

ideas welcome :rolleyes: