GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

Hi all- this thing is sooo close to working for me. Actually, sometimes it loads up fine- native 1366x768. Other times it hangs at the login screen- looks like screendoor/ plaid. It seems to hang more when computer is not physically warmed-up - cold boot. It'll take 2-3 boots to 'grab'. Will come up 5-times staight when warm. weird.

Satellite l505-s6959 iAtkos V7 10.5.7

just running 2A42Apple...3100FB.kext no natit or cursor kext. No QE

4500MHD uggghhh. :censored2:

ideas welcome :rolleyes:

This is actually something I had as well. Don't have any idea how to fix it. I tried natit and other tweaks, but nothing helped :s

I guess it's got to do with initializing the graphics card. If I first booted windows, and then booted into osX everything would be fine from the first time..

Hi Tienneke! Thanx a Million! Your Guide is great, easy, and my DV3 2150's display works like a charm!!!!!!

I would apreciate more instructs like this!!! As I'm a NOOBEEEE!

well anyway thanx a lot!!!!!

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :P . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :( )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

Lenovo T500 GMA4500 Card ID is 2A42.

AtKOS 5.4 currently running on 10.5.8 upgraded from apple site.

Works great however my mouse cursor seems invisible.

Went into the Universal Access Control and made the mouse cursor as large as it would go.

It works however the mouse is now really huge.

thanks again for this fix.

This does not work on snow leopard not even in 32bit, any suggestions to get it working?

Yes, how can we get this to work on Snow Leopard? In Leopard it works allright for my acer aspire 6930, but in Snow Leopard -32 or 64 bit mode- doesn't work.

The patch script works with my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 with GMA4500M (native resolution; no QE/CI) after a Software Update to 10.5.8.

I've been running with a slightly older patched 31000 kext under 10.5.6 for the past few months. After updating my system it booted to 1024x768 and wouldn't let me change resolution. I ran the newest script, removed AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and now I'm back to full native resolution.

Thanks everyone for your hard work.

i know i may not be a genius, but has anyone tried using the opengl.framework file from 10.5.3 or earlier? because with my GMA 900 I realised that after I updated to 10.5.4 I would get a black screen, used macdrive from within Windows to replace opengl.framework, and HEY PRESTO it worked fully, can anyone try? :lol: Once again, i know i'm not a genius but i thought i could try help out.

I tried this fix on my Intel mini-Itx G41 motherboard. The id is 2e37 or something like that. After I made the changes, the computer started up. However, after showing the blue screen the monitor said it cannot display the mode. I tried both Dell 24" (1920x1200) and a 19" one (1440x900). Neither worked. Can someone provide suggestions what I should do? Thanks.

Hi everybody:

I have a Acer Aspire Timeline AS1810T 11.6 inch.

Spec:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3 GHz

Bios: Vendor INSYDE Version v0.3115

Chipset: Intel Cantiga GS45

Motherboard: Intel AGTL+

Memory: 4GB

Video Card: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M up to 1695 MB DVMT

OpenGL: 2.1

PCI Audio: Intel HDMI @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3] PCI

Realtek ALC269 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3] PCI

Network:

Ethernet: Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Wireless: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Bluethooth: Vendor: 0a5c 2151 Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 USB Dongle

Card Reader: Vendor: Device ID 04F2-B175

WebCAM: I don't not

I installed iatkos v7 don't have any panic kermel or black and blue screen. I had native resolution automatic 1024x768.

Device work:

USB

Mouse

Keyboard

Sound internal speaker and output but i have change manualy

Mic

Device don't work:

CAM

Bluetooth

QE/CI

HDMI

LAN

Wireless

card reader i don't no, beacuse i don't teste. For the next week i try diferen ideas fro repair this problem. Any sugeration for this case appretia any help. Sorry for my English is bad bu i try. jejejeje

I can put sucefull iatkos on my acer aspire one but in this computer more the 50% to the device are incompatible. Take care everyone. Please any idea is welcome.

Hi,

this worked perfectly for my Acer Aspire 1810TZ with iATKOS v7

Thanks a lot!

Klaus

Hi, i have the same computer on you. You computer all device work fine ? You can tell me you experience with iATKOS V7 on Acer 1810TZ is the same computer to Acer 1810T. I try installed, but i don't have idea how install iatkos and all device work fine.

Hi everybody,

Almost everything is working now on my acer 7715z, but it would be great if it is possible to get native resolution.

I've tried everything that's explained in this topic, but always when i reboot i get the death black screen and must boot with -s and delete the kext's. Somebody an idea how i could fix this? Here are my specifications:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 09)

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 09)

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0009

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Thanks,

Snaderr

nice driver。patch4500_2.bash.zip is working on my acer 1410

command: /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42

my acer as 1410 native display mode is 1366*768 .

acer as1410

CPU: Intel celeron DC SU2300 1.2 GHz

Chipset: Intel Cantiga GS45

Memory: 2GB

Video Card: Mobile Intel GMA 4500Mhd uo to 796mb dvmt >>1366*768 no p/e

PCI Audio:

Intel HDMI @ Intel 82802 ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller>>no work

Realtek ALC269 High Definition Audio Controller >>voodoo hda ok

Network:

Ethernet: Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller >>no work

Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 1000 AGN mini pci >>no work

bluetooth >> work

webcam >>native work

usb ok

voodoo kanel 9.5

ichx

use

ps/2

voodoo hda

first install need type -v -x

The first time i patch, it does give me a native solution.

But when shut down, and open again, it just a gray screen after apple screen.

Run verbose - i see the black screen run all the way and it swtich to gray screen.

Using toshiba setellite L305-S5944

I have had this too. There is not yet a workaround I know of. But for me just rebooting the pc (sometimes several times) fixed it. Maybe you can try that?

• 2 weeks later...
I have had this too. There is not yet a workaround I know of. But for me just rebooting the pc (sometimes several times) fixed it. Maybe you can try that?

I leave it for a week, and then come back and restart.

weird but it worked. lol

P/s: sometimes it still doesn't come up, but when i log in windows, and then come back, it works again. Hope this info help.

I leave it for a week, and then come back and restart.

weird but it worked. lol

P/s: sometimes it still doesn't come up, but when i log in windows, and then come back, it works again. Hope this info help.

Happens to me too, every single day. It boots with that strange vertical lines. Then, I turn the system off for some minutes (~10min is enough to me) and turn it on again. It's working. If I reboot now, I can't get it working. I took one week to find out what makes it works again. lol

Note: using Snow Leopard 10.6.2, arch=i386.

Booting Windows helped one time. Booting OSX Leopard (which always work - I don't know how :D) doesn't help at all.

Any ideas...? hardware problem? wrong internal driver setup (since it's made for 3100, not 4500)? :)

-

I don't know if this information helps anyone here, but only the FB kext is loaded here. The other one is not, so I removed it (yes, it still works without it). Not sure why it's needed. Actually, I patched the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext itself - I didn't created another kext just to get the 0x2A42 device working. Well, it works. lol

Useful note: a guy is trying to port the bsd driver to osx. I'm not sure if he's gonna keep working on this insane project, but, hey, would be nice to have qe/ci/that.kind.of.stuff, right? :D (search it on the forum)

A question: Apple doesn't release the source for its drivers? lol It's a noob question ;)

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script i do it..comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :))
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

after all ..i do it..and the resolution is 1366x768x32....i love it!!!

but the problem is... ihave a black screen.darker than normal...

what should i do???

plz help me.....i need something to make the screen more brightness..

i use acer 4736z gma4500 2a42

iatkos v7 os 10.5.7

help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, ive got Dell Vostro 1015 brand new. Distro installed is kalyway 10.5.2 . Everything is running smoothly and stable. I even changed "About this mac" to 10.5.6 and installed iWork 09 with succes. it doesent work naturaly couse i do not have propper graphic drivers installed. Graphic card is GMA x4500 . Resolution is 1024x768x32 streched (native 1366x768). I tried everything but no use so far. All i get is first blue then black screen. So i stick with this resolution till someone find solution for this issue. even tried on boot prompt to change res but highest is 1024x768.

Hi,

Just a quick question.

Is anyone still working on finding out what the vertical line problam is and maybe fixing it?

I have left OS X on as Dual Boot in the Vain hope that somebody comes along with a fix for the vertical line problem but for the minute I have had to use Windows again :)

Any info would be very much appreciated!

Thanks