GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

@Klutsh-- this may be an important clue. Is there any way you could try to determine what AAPL01 setting caused your mouse to corrupt? That might help the lenovo users.

I have compiled as much info on AAPL settings into a file I sent Trauma to review. At some point I will post it.

@GP1138 - PM me and I will send the kexts when I get a chance. It might take me a day to find the disc! Also, do let me know what happens with ApplePS2Keyboard.kext-- I could hack at it again if it doesn't solve the problem.

-u

From what I can remember one of the setting's I used for AAPL01 did cause my mouse to corrupt.

I tried modifying the Natit kext as described above, it yielded no positive nor negative results. I still have no mouse pointer (I use mousefinder so I have that) and native resolution.

Should Kextload be able to load Natit? When I try to do that, it complains that Natit is "not a bundle".

No Kernel Panic though!

And I still get random 7's.. actually sometimes keys just stick for no reason. This doesn't happen in Windows, so I know it's not a hardware problem. It seems to only happen right after boot though, like right now I'm typing this and it's working just fine. I thought for a while it was related to Firewire constantly complaining about invalid GUID.

@ iPoco: I talked to trauma today on IRC, and he gave me a little info. It seems the way I'm setting EDID is probably not correct, since @1 and @2 are mainly used for nvidia cards. There is no sign of @ values in an X3100 ioreg, and so probably not for X4500 either.

So, what does this bring us to?

Could you replace the @1 with AAPL01 ? So a line stating '@1,EDID' would become 'AAPL01,EDID'? And the same for the @2 variable, except it should be AAPL02 there.. Oh yeah, and move the key and values to the part of the plist that says 'unknown'.. It's not getting set right now, cause it's in the wrong place..

Let me know what it gives :)

No change with it. Sent you my system.log and also the Info.plist of Natit.kext so you can see what I used.

iPoco

i finally downloaded the file, i do the tutorial, but it didnt work, it still being a low resolution

i got a vgn-cs170f sony vaio, intel 4500, core 2 duo t8400, 4gb ram, 320 gb hd....

help?

tanks ipoco for the feedback

damnit, ive been wasting time checking the other thread for updates and debugging and never came to this one. let me know if i could be of any help. for t500 users, try the kexts i uploaded a few weeks back (click on name and hit find user posts) and see if the kexts help you any.

it work for me (Sony VAIO VGN-NS160D) but not have my resolution (native 1280 x 800) have many resolutions but not the mine ;) ,now I'm using 1280 x 960 resolution......

any idea.....(Anyway thanks for good work) ;)

Perdon: my english :whistle:

let me know if i could be of any help. for t500 users, try the kexts i uploaded a few weeks back (click on name and hit find user posts) and see if the kexts help you any.

Yes, you could! I cannot find any t500 kexts which you said were in your posts. (You have too many posts ;)

Do you have at least on Intel QE enabled?

This sounds exciting...

Regards

rodge

I took the x3100 and @0 values from the kext posted here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f133/16193.htm and placed them the Unkown dict. Replacing @0 with AAPL01.

This has resulted in a kernel panic. I'll post a log and the natit kext once back on a pc with Internet access.

I did leave the EDID as it is in the above kext though.

I did note that in the kernel panic AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext is in the backtrace this is the original kext not the patched one.

Also since my initial corrupting on the mouse cursor using natit I've not been able to do it again.

Edit:

Attached natit.kext

Attached image of kernel panic.

Edit2:

Attached natit.kext-nopanic -> does not cause kernel panic, valued changed was <key>built-in</key>

Attached system.log from natit.kext-nopanic boot -> still results in kernel[0]: display: Not usable

Where do I find logs of kernel panics?

Natit.kext.zip

post-11921-1249023166_thumb.jpg

Natit.kext_nopanic.zip

system.log.zip

Even though the patch script renames the kexts, it doesn't change the names inside the kexts or inside the plists. So it could be referring to the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext. But to be sure, could you try moving the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext to AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.orig. Same for AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. And then try again.

Also it's strange that one of the values being set is ATY something or other. I thought that was only for ATI cards.

Leopard is supposed to log panics to /Library/Logs/PanicReporter, but i never get any there. I've heard that the logging of kernel panics can't really be done on OSx86. On real Macs, the kernel panic gets dumped to NVRAM and is later written to the /Library/Logs/PanicReporter directory on reboot.

-u

I took the x3100 and @0 values from the kext posted here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f133/16193.htm and placed them the Unkown dict. Replacing @0 with AAPL01.

This has resulted in a kernel panic. I'll post a log and the natit kext once back on a pc with Internet access.

I did leave the EDID as it is in the above kext though.

I did note that in the kernel panic AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext is in the backtrace this is the original kext not the patched one.

Also since my initial corrupting on the mouse cursor using natit I've not been able to do it again.

Edit:

Attached natit.kext

Attached image of kernel panic.

Edit2:

Attached natit.kext-nopanic -> does not cause kernel panic, valued changed was <key>built-in</key>

Attached system.log from natit.kext-nopanic boot -> still results in kernel[0]: display: Not usable

Where do I find logs of kernel panics?

About the random 7s-- it was worth a try. Video cards issues can also cause bad characters to appear. I've attached the ipc firewire-mount fix and uuid fixes. They are packages, so you should be able to install them easily. Remember to boot with -f (clear the cache) and -v (so you can check your logs to see if the errors go away).

-u

I tried modifying the Natit kext as described above, it yielded no positive nor negative results. I still have no mouse pointer (I use mousefinder so I have that) and native resolution.

Should Kextload be able to load Natit? When I try to do that, it complains that Natit is "not a bundle".

No Kernel Panic though!

And I still get random 7's.. actually sometimes keys just stick for no reason. This doesn't happen in Windows, so I know it's not a hardware problem. It seems to only happen right after boot though, like right now I'm typing this and it's working just fine. I thought for a while it was related to Firewire constantly complaining about invalid GUID.

UUIDnFirewirePkgs.zip

Even though the patch script renames the kexts, it doesn't change the names inside the kexts or inside the plists. So it could be referring to the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext. But to be sure, could you try moving the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext to AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.orig. Same for AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. And then try again.

I already tried that and it still gave the panic when setting the <key>built-in</key> to 01.

I'm going to keep researching more, however until the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext is loading correctly the issues of the vertical lines or monitor not usable will probably remain unresolved.

Also it's strange that one of the values being set is ATY something or other. I thought that was only for ATI cards.

Leopard is supposed to log panics to /Library/Logs/PanicReporter, but i never get any there. I've heard that the logging of kernel panics can't really be done on OSx86. On real Macs, the kernel panic gets dumped to NVRAM and is later written to the /Library/Logs/PanicReporter directory on reboot.

-u

About the random 7s-- it was worth a try. Video cards issues can also cause bad characters to appear. I've attached the ipc firewire-mount fix and uuid fixes. They are packages, so you should be able to install them easily. Remember to boot with -f (clear the cache) and -v (so you can check your logs to see if the errors go away).

-u

Those pkgs didn't work, I still get the Firewire GUID invalid messages. I don't mind though, it's totally cool, I appreciate the try. I'll ignore them for now. I probably should not press my luck, I'm glad I have this much working.

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

Hi, maybe this info help to solve the problem of 4500.

I was looking with an hex editor the kext of X3100 and I've found this 80862582.

Searching on the internet it's 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller.

Anybody knows why X3100 driver has 80862582 setting? also you could find this on GA.plugin

It's not in the GA file, though it is in both GL and VA file.

I did mess with around with these, and changing the chipset to the series 4 controller stopped the X3100.kext from loading in the extensions, FB still worked though.

So I don't think this is the problems, and it auto detects.

If you get a blue screen and nothing else, remove the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, we're still looking for a way to be able to use the AppleIngelGMAX3100.kext properly ^_^

how long do we have to wait to get it work. blue, green, yellow screen is eating my head

Vanishing cursor? Perhaps this may help. It's from an old thread, might be worth trying.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t124719.html

I suppose it will only work if changing resolutions/detect monitor restores the cursor...

Not working for me

Cursor Vanish the only way to come back is make it Big!

I hate this!