GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you :welcomeani: . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works ;))
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

Hi, my english is very bad, whatever, I have CI (is the open gl, I guess?) with x86 tools. Sorry for my english. Now, I need just the QE and well, my mouse is the invisible mouse too. ja thanks

Hi, my english is very bad, whatever, I have CI (is the open gl, I guess?) with x86 tools. Sorry for my english. Now, I need just the QE and well, my mouse is the invisible mouse too. ja thanks

QE and CI are both technologies used for graphics acceleration. While CI is 2D and QE is 3D acceleration.

As to yet there is not yet QE/CI for X4500MHD. As to yet we only have software CI (that we know of). Could you post a screenshot of your graphics page in system profiler? If you have CI this would be a real advance in getting to QE as well.

BTW, CI stands for Core Image, and QE stands for Quartz Extreme.

When i try to run the script in terminal its says "This script must be run as root." what am i doing wrong?

You should first enter super user mode.

You do this by typing this first:

sudo -s

press enter and enter your password. After this you may execute the script. I should warn you though, this might be a challenge if you don't have knowledge in terminal usage.

You should first enter super user mode.

You do this by typing this first:

sudo -s

press enter and enter your password. After this you may execute the script. I should warn you though, this might be a challenge if you don't have knowledge in terminal usage.

yes i did that, although i have no password so i just push enter... this i what it looks like

Last login: Tue Aug 25 20:19:33 on ttys000

gustavs-macbook:~ gustav$ sudo -s

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

gustavs-macbook:~ gustav$

yes i did that, although i have no password so i just push enter... this i what it looks like

Last login: Tue Aug 25 20:19:33 on ttys000

gustavs-macbook:~ gustav$ sudo -s

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

gustavs-macbook:~ gustav$

Okay, that's the reason. You need to have a password for sudo to work :( Just set one to execute the command, you may remove it afterwards. Even 1 letter is enough, as long as you have a password. (this is to be sure that malicious programs can't get root (=administrator in windows) privileges. An empty password is an open door for malicious programs. This is one of the reasons why mac OS is less vulnerable to virusses than windows.)

Hope this helps :)

(you'll see, the username will change for gustavs-macbook:~ gustav$ to bash-3.2#

Rock n roll, tienneke thank you very much. Now reparing permissions, be back soon to see if i have native res. :(

and it works!!!, now running 1280x800 on my GMA4500MHD, {censored} sweeet! and no problems with disappearing mouse, is this a static problem or can it suddenly appear ?

Rock n roll, tienneke thank you very much. Now reparing permissions, be back soon to see if i have native res. :)

and it works!!!, now running 1280x800 on my GMA4500MHD, {censored} sweeet! and no problems with disappearing mouse, is this a static problem or can it suddenly appear ?

The mouse issue is normally a static issue. It seems to be triggered by the BIOS. Basically a setting is set wrong/not set in BIOS and the driver initializes this setting wrong. This makes the cursor go away. So if your cursor isn't gone now, if you don't update your BIOS it will keep working :(

If you want I can give more technical explanation too, but that takes more writing, and I'm kinda lazy tonight :P

The mouse issue is normally a static issue. It seems to be triggered by the BIOS. Basically a setting is set wrong/not set in BIOS and the driver initializes this setting wrong. This makes the cursor go away. So if your cursor isn't gone now, if you don't update your BIOS it will keep working :(

If you want I can give more technical explanation too, but that takes more writing, and I'm kinda lazy tonight :P

Thanks but i probably wouldnt understand a thing :)

Has anyone been able to enable QE on the X4500?

Sorry for asking a question that has already been asked.

Thank's everyone for you work on this project

Up till now there has not been a confirmed working case of QE on X4500. I for one am waiting very much on what coldequation finds out about the X4500. The problem is that he's almost completely alone on this, with only 'noobs' around him (I find myself a noob when it comes to more than fiddling with kexts. He's running through the official intel docs and so on to find how to change the X3100 kext to work for the X4500..)

Hope he get's somewhere soon :lol:

Until then we'll be stuck with just native resolution.

Hi all..

I am just an unfortunate Lenovo iPad user having the GMA4500 and Intel 5100 AGN :huh: .. ! Lets hope these work again someday !!

Thanks to you guys I am able to view n 1366x768 resolution instead of the st(w)retched 1024x768 resolution.. :P

I too have the problem with the vanishing cursor (fixed with resizing it) and tried playing around the apple 3100 kexts and upto no good !!

I had reinstalled the kexts after removing the 2a42 from the extensions folder.. Only addition is I have put the Graphics mode in boot.plist also..

Now I have a couple of horizontal blurred lines .. called my CURSOR :D ..

I tried increasing the size of the cursor and it showed me a big one (as in the vanishing case).. and the blurred lines return when the cursor is different from that of an arrow..

Cheers

NK

^^ Same on my Dell Laditude

Is there a way to get aperture to work with the gma 4500mhd?

I cannot edit previous characters without deleting every thing after it in the normal editor but quick edit and quick reply will let me?

I believe this is an issue about QE. It's much like photo booth and iwork suite, they won't work properly without hardware CI and QE.

So the answer would be no (not yet). Waiting for Coldequation to show up again on the non-geniusbar thread :P

Some apps like Pages, Keynote (Numbers and Photo Booth dont work) iWeb, can be ran without QE/CI adding

this values in the Default.plist

Keynote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SFRAcceleratedCanvas</key>

<false/>

</dict>

</plist>

Pages and iWeb add this in the default.plist in the Resources Folder

<false/>

Works great for me! ;)

Some apps like Pages, Keynote (Numbers and Photo Booth dont work) iWeb, can be ran without QE/CI adding

this values in the Default.plist

Keynote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<false/>

</dict>

</plist>

Pages and iWeb add this in the default.plist in the Resources Folder

<false/>

Works great for me! :P

Thanks for the tip! This has been an enormous downer for me. Great finding ;)

EDITED: Tienneke-- there's a possible mouse pointer fix found for lenovo/thinkpad/compaq users.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1158001

I assume that you'd have to do the following (I can't test because I don't have the mouse pointer corruption):

1. Download lavender.t's patched AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (in his file x3100.soft_cursor.zip)

2. Backup your existing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using the terminal or Finder)

3. Unzip x3100.soft_cursor.zip. You will find a file called AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor

4. Copy or move that file to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

5. Rerun patch4500 <-- Edited to include this step

6. Repair permissions.

7. Reboot with -f -v and you should now have a working mouse pointer

What lavender.t did is to hack the framebuffer kext so that you get a software-driven mouse pointer, rather than driven by hardware.

If someone can test that this does indeed resolve the mouse pointer issue, I will create a new version of patch4500 and zip it up with this hacked framebuffer.

Please post back results here.

Note: lavender.t did his patching on an earlier version of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext. I will see if I can make the same edit to a more recent version...

-u

Tienneke-- there's a possible mouse pointer fix found for lenovo/thinkpad/compaq users.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1158001

I assume that you'd have to do the following (I can't test because I don't have the mouse pointer corruption):

1. Download lavender.t's patched AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (in his file x3100.soft_cursor.zip)

2. Backup your existing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using the terminal or Finder)

3. Unzip x3100.soft_cursor.zip. You will find a file called AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor

4. Copy or move that file to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

5. Repair permissions.

6. Reboot with -f -v and you should now have a working mouse pointer

What lavender.t did is to hack the framebuffer kext so that you get a software-driven mouse pointer, rather than driven by hardware.

If someone can test that this does indeed resolve the mouse pointer issue, I will create a new version of patch4500 and zip it up with this hacked framebuffer.

Please post back results here.

-u

Didn't work for me! :D

My cursor gone, everytime I install that kext!.

@coldequation..

I use a lenovo ideapad y550 with 1366x768 resolution and missing my cursor ;) .. The method given by lavender.t does not work with my 2A42*3100FB.kext..

In his post he has mentioned about version 1.5.18.7 but what I have in my iAtkos v7 10.5.7 is 1.5.44.13..

Will someone be able to hack this as lavender.t has done?? Much appreciated !!

Cheers

NK

Updated version

Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.

Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.

All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)

Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:

1. Start a terminal
  2. type sudo -s and enter your user password
  3. drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
  4. at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
  5. Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
  6. Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
  7. Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution

Make sure you have the vanilla version of the kernel extensions (being AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions). This only applies to people previously running kernel extensions provided by me in the other thread.

Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you ;) . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)

If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org

I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.

known issues

• Cursor vanishes
    --> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works :P )
  • vertical stripes
    --> No workaround yet, looking into it atm

Last update: July 15, 2009 at 23:17 CET: New patcher script

Worked like charm !!

Thanks a lot for the help! :P

twister-- my bad. You actually need to rerun patch4500, to patch lavender.t's hacked kext. Since the 2A42*3100.kext is being deleted anyway, no need to worry about whether a 1.5.18.7 will work with it...

@coldequation..

I use a lenovo ideapad y550 with 1366x768 resolution and missing my cursor :unsure: .. The method given by lavender.t does not work with my 2A42*3100FB.kext..

In his post he has mentioned about version 1.5.18.7 but what I have in my iAtkos v7 10.5.7 is 1.5.44.13..

Will someone be able to hack this as lavender.t has done?? Much appreciated !!

Cheers

NK

macgeek-- you need to rerun patch4500. See my revised instructions above...

Didn't work for me! :thumbsup_anim:

My cursor gone, everytime I install that kext!.

I was greeted with blue screen on startup. Just stuck there. No cursor, icons. Nothing loaded.

And yes, I deleted the vanilla AppleIntelGMAX3100FB binary from the kext, renamed AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.soft-cursor to AppleIntelGMAX3100FB before applying patch4500 -rf 2A42