VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hi,

trying to get it working on ESX but attempts to download

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-voodoo.zip

and http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

fails with

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip on this server.

Apache/2 Server at www.daveparsons.net Port 80

There are files currently hosted/how to get them?

2 posts in front of yours says I will look at it!

I have exceeded the bandwidth of my server by having 50GB in downloads in the last 2 weeks - I will have to find another means of hosting. So for now the files are not available. Sorry will sort out ASAP.

I have exceeded the bandwidth of my server by having 50GB in downloads in the last 2 weeks - I will have to find another means of hosting. So for now the files are not available. Sorry will sort out ASAP.

Now available here until I can get the downloads sorted out on host site. My friend runs it so need to talk to him about bandwidth.

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-snowy

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

Now available here until I can get the downloads sorted out on host site. My friend runs it so need to talk to him about bandwidth.

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-snowy

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

Thanks for getting new links for these files, I was eagerly waiting for them. Few days ago I read in a post that VMW 7 includes the darwin files by default like Fusion does. Well, that's not the case so I coudn't boot the Snow Leo image until I installed these files. Thanks again and also for the well written guide. With the help of these files, I finally got OS X running great on my quad core machine. Keep up the good work!

(new file locations)

Got 'em, thanks very much!

Alas, I cannot get it to install on VMware Server 2.0.1 on either Fedora 11 or WinXP. Both are Core 2 Duo. I added the following to the .vmx file:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

(and changed guestos to "darwin-64"; also tried "darwin" per one of the posts, but no better)

On Windows I often get the EBIOS read error on block 822842 (or 822844). When I don't, I get the same result as on Linux, which is a gray background with an apple logo and a little spinny under it that spins and spins and spins while rummaging around on the DVD, and then keeps spinning while it seems not much else is happening, and eventually (at least one time) it finally stopped spinning and was frozen.

I can't seem to manage to get the console open fast enough to provide any input on Windows, but I finally managed it on Linux. The last thing it printed was "Jettisoning kernel linker."

I don't really want this on Windows anyway - I was just using that as a sanity check - so the details below are from Linux:

• VMware Server 2.0.1
  • Fedora 11 Linux, kernel 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.x86_64 (yes, 64-bit)
  • Core 2 Duo T5300
  • Retail Leopard DVD; says 10.5 on it (don't know exact version)

I've attached a zip file containing the vmx file and the log file. (It wouldn't let me attach either one as was - said I'm not permitted to upload those file types.)

Any clues appreciated.

vmx_and_log.zip

Got 'em, thanks very much!

Alas, I cannot get it to install on VMware Server 2.0.1 on either Fedora 11 or WinXP. Both are Core 2 Duo. I added the following to the .vmx file:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

(and changed guestos to "darwin-64"; also tried "darwin" per one of the posts, but no better)

On Windows I often get the EBIOS read error on block 822842 (or 822844). When I don't, I get the same result as on Linux, which is a gray background with an apple logo and a little spinny under it that spins and spins and spins while rummaging around on the DVD, and then keeps spinning while it seems not much else is happening, and eventually (at least one time) it finally stopped spinning and was frozen.

I can't seem to manage to get the console open fast enough to provide any input on Windows, but I finally managed it on Linux. The last thing it printed was "Jettisoning kernel linker."

I don't really want this on Windows anyway - I was just using that as a sanity check - so the details below are from Linux:

• VMware Server 2.0.1
  • Fedora 11 Linux, kernel 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.x86_64 (yes, 64-bit)
  • Core 2 Duo T5300
  • Retail Leopard DVD; says 10.5 on it (don't know exact version)

I've attached a zip file containing the vmx file and the log file. (It wouldn't let me attach either one as was - said I'm not permitted to upload those file types.)

Any clues appreciated.

Unfortunately your processor does not have VT-x and so won't be able to run Leopard in VMware.

Okay I have 2 problems so far

1. Shared Folders. I can enable them and access them with no problem, but only if i'm logged on as root. My normal admin user cannot access the shared folder, because it says I have insufficient access privelages. I'm new to macs so I don't know how to grant myself access.

2. Internet. My ethernet is configured properly, but when I open safari it loads...gets stuck...and eventually says I'm not connected, even though the network portion of system preferences clearly says I am.

Any help?

Successfully installed Snow Leopard

- using VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

- on Windows 7

- on an Intel i7

----

VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

Used UltraISO to convert DMG Snow Leopard Retail Image to ISO

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm

Downloaded and extracted

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

Downloaded and overwrote above extracted files using

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip

Ran ".\setup.cmd install" as Administrator from cmd.exe

Created a FreeBSD 64-bit Guest with 1 CPU 1 Core 2GB RAM and using NAT

Created a 32GB SCSI LSI Logic disk

Used the following additions/modifications to the generated .vmx file

- ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

- guestOS = "darwin10-64"

- monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

- monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

- ich7m.present = "TRUE"

- smc.present = "FALSE"

Upgraded online to 10.6.1, installed all extras and development tools.

Installed VMware Tools by mounting darwin.iso from the snowy ZIP file.

Enabled Shared Folders.

Took a VMware Snapshot to be safe.

That's it. Seems stable so far.

Many thanks Donk :-)

I just followed your lead here -- did exactly the same thing and it worked beautifully! Thanks!

One question though. When I install the VMware Tools (from the ISO as you suggest), my screen goes screwy (only half screen high with the contents all skewed -- kinda like an old TV with the horizontal hold all screwed up). Fortunately I had made a snapshot as the screen was completely unusable.

Did you do anything special to successfully install the VM Tools?

This is a repost, as apparently you missed seeing it, Donk:

Thank you, Donk, for your work to put this together. I am about to start going through your instructions to set up a virtual machine.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind indulging a new person a bit...

1. I have dual Xeon processors circa 2005 in a Dell Precision workstation. They are EMT64 (and I'm running Vista Ultimate x64), but as far as I can tell they do NOT have VT technology. However, I *am* able to run virtual machines in VMWare quite successfully... I presently have XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Linux virtual machines running nicely. Your instructions mention up front that VT capable processors are a necessity for running OSX... Shall I simply stop trying to virtualize OSX now, or is there hope for me to get an OSX system running well in a VM? Before answering please read #2 below.

2: I recently worked through getting the "pcwiz" Leopard VMWare image working, though it boots and runs QUITE slowly. So slowly, in fact, as to make it essentially unusable for anything other than a curiosity. Is this a given or do other virtual OSX environments (such as the one you have documented the steps for here) run better than that? Is this related to question 1 above? In other words, would it run at near "machine" speed on a processor with VT technology?

3. I have applied many of your settings as listed in the post at the top of this thread, so as to get this "software" emulation working in the version 7 virtual machine, and while it has improved the functioning of OSX in the VM a bit, it is by no means fast (It still reminds me of a circa 1990 computer). Notably the VMWare Tools, though I installed them from your media, seem to do nothing.

I guess I'm just trying not to waste too much time if my host workstation is just too outdated to be doing this kind of work. As a workstation it's not unreasonably slow, and I can't really afford a happenin' new machine just now.

Thank you for your insights.

-Noel

Does anyone know why my shared folder is not accessible by a regular admin user? Only root can access the host's shared files. Under get info for the root user, it says you have "custom privileges". My normal admin account cannot access the folder and under get info it says you have no permission to use this folder.

Finnally got it working!(on ESXi 4.0,2 vCPUs,3 Gb of RAM,VM files(incl. 40 Gb disk) are on iSCSI SAN)

Big thanks for files and manual.

I encountered following issues:

- Firstly it was never noted that in manual that you need NOT to use VirtualCenter to perform startup of VM

- By mistake I used Snow Leopard image first(which panics with Local APIC error...)

- keyboard problems (fixed with disabling USB mode for it as per manual)

- by default ESXi creates SCSI drives,Leopard installer sees it but ask it to be partitioned using 'Apple partitioning scheme'?! and don't allow installation. Resolved using recreating disk as IDE.

- May be it was only my issue but it was problematic to convert .dmg images to .isos to put into datastore(without mac). Only tool which work for all images I tried is UltraISO

- performance could be thought of as not very bad and VMware Tools installation helped a little.

A little question for the extra-geeky. If this is the wrong place to ask this, please direct me to where I won't be annoying.

I've got 10.5.8 working on a few Windows 7 boxes without problems. There is one in particular that we are trying to access using RDP.

Specs:

1. VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 build-185404

2. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (Release version not RC)

3. Core 2 Duo E8500

4. Retail Leopard

5. Installed from 10.5.6 (from expanded dmg) updated to 10.5.8

VT is enabled in the BIOS.

When sitting at the attached keyboard, there is no problem with the keyboard or mouse. When connected through RDP, the keyboard and mouse work fine in the host session but in the OS X VM the mouse and keyboard are real slow. You can pull the mouse out of the VM and it is as if you were sitting at the attached keyboard. Pull it into the VM, molasses. Same with the keyboard. There is a delay in the VM. When using the Mac version of RDP to connect, there are other anomalies. Sometimes keystrokes are repeated, even infinitely.

I have tried setting keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE" and mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE" and I have tried setting them both to "TRUE." There is no difference.

I've looked through the thankfully supplied manual .pdf and all 31 pages of this topic and some other topics as well. I don't think I missed a clue to solving this one, but I'm hoping there is some one else who might think it intriguing enough to give me a thought or two.

OS_X_64.vmx.txt

I just followed your lead here -- did exactly the same thing and it worked beautifully! Thanks!

One question though. When I install the VMware Tools (from the ISO as you suggest), my screen goes screwy (only half screen high with the contents all skewed -- kinda like an old TV with the horizontal hold all screwed up). Fortunately I had made a snapshot as the screen was completely unusable.

Did you do anything special to successfully install the VM Tools?

Flave,

I had the same problem when I installed the VM tools. To adjust the screen resolution activate manually Fit guest. It's in the View menu. Just click Fit Guest Now. For more information folow this link :---

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...tting_host.html

Leoul

Flave,

I had the same problem when I installed the VM tools. To adjust the screen resolution activate manually Fit guest. It's in the View menu. Just click Fit Guest Now. For more information folow this link :---

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...tting_host.html

Leoul

Leoul,

Thanks but this didn't work for me. Tried all sorts of combinations of the auto-fit and "fit now" options and same thing.

Thanks,

Flave.

Leoul,

Thanks but this didn't work for me. Tried all sorts of combinations of the auto-fit and "fit now" options and same thing.

Thanks,

Flave.

Flave,

Otherwise drag a little bit the bottem right corner of the console Windows or try once to display it in a full screen mode. The guest will be ajusted automaticaly.

Leoul

I won't be answering posts for a week as am going on a family holiday, and connectivity may be difficult. I am going to be looking at packaging a new darwin.iso from Fusion 3 release to support Leopard & Snow Leopard (hopefully full 64-bit kernel support) and if successful will post after my holiday. May also fix those long standing problems with FSB detection on Core 2 Quad and Core i5/i7 CPUs.

I won't be answering posts for a week as am going on a family holiday, and connectivity may be difficult. I am going to be looking at packaging a new darwin.iso from Fusion 3 release to support Leopard & Snow Leopard (hopefully full 64-bit kernel support) and if successful will post after my holiday. May also fix those long standing problems with FSB detection on Core 2 Quad and Core i5/i7 CPUs.

Have a great trip!

Flave,

Otherwise drag a little bit the bottem right corner of the console Windows or try once to display it in a full screen mode. The guest will be ajusted automaticaly.

Leoul

FYI (and for others experiencing this) I found out what was causing this problem.

I had changed my default video mode by modifying the Boot.plist file as many sites recommend. VMTools did not like this one bit. I removed this change and the tools installed without a hitch.

And the nice thing is that after the tools are installed, the Displays applet now lists all the standard OSX video modes and you can easily change mode from within OSX.

@grabarchuk: The following is what I used to set up VMWare share folders on my Snow Leo image - it's from Donk's manual (with slight modifications for punctuation and clarification reasons) linked in the first post of this thread:

4.1.1 Shared Folders

Shared Folders do not work out of the box and requires a change to the start-up shell script to work properly. Again you will need to edit a file as root or via sudo to correct the problem.

1. Open a terminal session and get the uid Number for the current user (or for the user who will be mounting the share folder) from the
id
command

2. Open services.sh for editing:

sudo nano -w '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh'

[or you can use
vi
instead of
nano -w
in the above line like I used as I am more familiar with it --Solidus]

3. Find and edit the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

to

mount -t vmhgfs
-o uid=<NNN>
.host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

where
<NNN>
is the uid Number we got earlier from the
id
command.

4. Restart services:

sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh' --restart

@grabarchuk: The following is what I used to set up VMWare share folders on my Snow Leo image - it's from Donk's manual (with slight modifications for punctuation and clarification reasons) linked in the first post of this thread:

4.1.1 Shared Folders

Shared Folders do not work out of the box and requires a change to the start-up shell script to work properly. Again you will need to edit a file as root or via sudo to correct the problem.

1. Open a terminal session and get the uid Number for the current user (or for the user who will be mounting the share folder) from the
id
command

2. Open services.sh for editing:

sudo nano -w '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh'

[or you can use
vi
instead of
nano -w
in the above line like I used as I am more familiar with it --Solidus]

3. Find and edit the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

to

mount -t vmhgfs
-o uid=<NNN>
.host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

where
<NNN>
is the uid Number we got earlier from the
id
command.

4. Restart services:

sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh' --restart

Last post before travelling. If you are using the darwin.iso for SL you should not need to do anything for Shared Folders if running on Workstation 7.0 or Player 3.0. Also auto-fit should work as well using the tools on that iso.

Probably known, but post it anyway (running Leopard on VMws6.5):

- Guest resizing autofit etc flawless with the new 1.1.1 VMsvga2 driver

- almost perfect sound with Ensoniq Audio PCI driver 1.0.2 driver

Im even able to watch Youtube movies!

Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

p.s. I removed the display setting in boot.plist after installing 1.1.1.

Great Job, thanks.

Here is my feedback.

The whole information here is too spread-out and very hard to read the 30+ pages of this thread and make them consistent to figure out and reach our goals.

1. File. Why don't you use MS Live SkyDrive and share in a public folder. The working download link is hard to find in this thread. Also, media-fire and rapidshare is a bad idea since you never know the version of the file is out-dated or latest.

Also it would be nicer to present 2 directories. Leopard and SnowLeopard because the darwin.ISO image is updated and you need to 'overwrite' (that I understand at last after finishing this long thread )

2. Instruction. The initial PDF looks very nice, but obviously it's not complete and throughly helpful for everyone.

we need to count on this thread anyway. I highly recommend to use some Wiki.

I observe Piling up a bunch of information one after another without organizing with inconsistency in the thread tends to be this community style, but that is why everyone asks the same question again and again. The author's support is great but I think the information from random Q&A here shall be organized into some Wiki.

3. And add Wiki and Current-Working Link @ Post #1, so you will save (Q I cannot download File!)(A. Read the thread) = 2posts.

Regards.