VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hello, I have followed the advice in the pdf file to try to enable sharing in Mac OS X. After editing the serivces.sh file in TextEdit (using Terminal will just open a blank file for some reason), I save the file in Desktop, then dragging it over to replace the original services.sh in /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools after authenticating. I restart the computer and during boot (I have verbose mode enabled), I see a string saying

Oct 17 13:08:49 localhost com.apple.launchhd[1] (com.vmware.launchhd.tools[55]): posix_spawnp("/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh", ...): Permission denied

Any help is appreciated! :thanks_speechbubble:

I'm using VMware Workstation 6.5 on Windows XP Professional

Mac OS X 10.5.8, vanilla kernel!

Hello, I have followed the advice in the pdf file to try to enable sharing in Mac OS X. After editing the serivces.sh file in TextEdit (using Terminal will just open a blank file for some reason), I save the file in Desktop, then dragging it over to replace the original services.sh in /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools after authenticating. I restart the computer and during boot (I have verbose mode enabled), I see a string saying

Oct 17 13:08:49 localhost com.apple.launchhd[1] (com.vmware.launchhd.tools[55]): posix_spawnp("/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh", ...): Permission denied

Any help is appreciated! :D

I'm using VMware Workstation 6.5 on Windows XP Professional

Mac OS X 10.5.8, vanilla kernel!

You need to do it as root so go back and try again in terminal. If you get a blank flel in nano you have typesd the name wrong.

Do you mind if you paste the commands that I have to input in Terminal? I just can't get it right! Please put it in the reply post so I can copy and paste to Terminal. By the way, the directory of services.sh is actually /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/services.sh instead of /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh

I can get the file open and edit the string, but how do I close the file and save?

And I can't get the computer to restart. It gives command sudo /Library/Application not found

HELP!

Do you mind if you paste the commands that I have to input in Terminal? I just can't get it right! Please put it in the reply post so I can copy and paste to Terminal. By the way, the directory of services.sh is actually /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/services.sh instead of /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh

I can get the file open and edit the string, but how do I close the file and save?

And I can't get the computer to restart. It gives command sudo /Library/Application not found

HELP!

I know the file location changed from when I originally did the work and wrote the document.

1. Start Terminal.

2. cd /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/

3. id

4. sudo nano services.sh

5. Edit the line and insert the value from step 3

6. Ctrl-O key to save

7. Enter to accept filename

8. Ctrl-X key to exit nano

9. sudo services.sh --stop

10. sudo service.sh --start

You also need to make sure you have setup a Shared Folder for the VMware guest in Workstation.

Thank you, Donk, for your work to put this together. I am about to start going through your instructions to set up a virtual machine.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind indulging a new person a bit...

1. I have dual Xeon processors circa 2005 in a Dell Precision workstation. They are EMT64 (and I'm running Vista Ultimate x64), but as far as I can tell they do NOT have VT technology. However, I *am* able to run virtual machines in VMWare quite successfully... I presently have XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Linux virtual machines running nicely. Your instructions mention up front that VT capable processors are a necessity for running OSX... Shall I stop trying to virtualize OSX now, or is there hope for me to get an OSX system running well in a VM?

2: I recently worked through getting the "pcwiz" Leopard VMWare image working, though it boots and runs QUITE slowly. So slowly, in fact, as to make it essentially unusable for anything other than a curiosity. Is this a given or do other virtual OSX environments (such as the one you have documented the steps for here) run better than that? Is this related to question 1 above?

I guess I'm just trying not to waste too much time if my host workstation is just too outdated to be doing this kind of work. It's not unreasonably slow, and I can't really afford a happenin' new machine just now.

Thank you for your insights.

-Noel

davepearson.net appears to be down...

Anyone have the ZIPs, especially vmware-darwin-snowy.zip and vmware-darwin-200.zip? Can you upload to MediaFire or such?

EDIT: Found the files, http://drop.io/donk29a

EDIT2: Site is back up.

EDIT3: So that this doesn't happen again, I made a 7z archive with all 3 zip files downloaded right from davepearson.net. To extract, use p7zip on Mac or GNU/Linux, or 7-Zip on Windoze.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5amh3xz3ndj

http://www.7-zip.org/

I know the file location changed from when I originally did the work and wrote the document.

1. Start Terminal.

2. cd /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/

3. id

4. sudo nano services.sh

5. Edit the line and insert the value from step 3

6. Ctrl-O key to save

7. Enter to accept filename

8. Ctrl-X key to exit nano

9. sudo services.sh --stop

10. sudo service.sh --start

You also need to make sure you have setup a Shared Folder for the VMware guest in Workstation.

Thanks, but the last 2 steps do not work. They give "sudo: services.sh: command not found"

Please help!

Thanks, but the last 2 steps do not work. They give "sudo: services.sh: command not found"

Please help!

Sorry should be:

sudo ./services.sh --stop

sudo ./services.sh --start

Hi,

Is there a recommended host operating system for running VMWare Workstation? I was told that a Windows-based host will provide better GPU acceleration, is that true?

Currently I'm running on Ubuntu 9.04 JeOS to save as much resources as possible for the VM.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Can you do "ls -la" in the folder and post output please?

total 1696

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B Oct 6 16:08 Uninstall VMware Tools.app

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136B Oct 6 16:08 VMware Tools User Agent.app

-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 root wheel 2.9K Oct 18 20:57 services.sh

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B Sep 11 2008 vmhgfs.kext

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 842K Jun 23 06:20 vmware-tools-guestd

total 1696

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B Oct 6 16:08 Uninstall VMware Tools.app

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136B Oct 6 16:08 VMware Tools User Agent.app

-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 root wheel 2.9K Oct 18 20:57 services.sh

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B Sep 11 2008 vmhgfs.kext

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 842K Jun 23 06:20 vmware-tools-guestd

sudo chmod +x services.sh

then try the commands.

sudo chmod +x services.sh

then try the commands.

My God, it works! Thanks so much, but for some reason the DVD drive is not detected after editing the services.sh file and the shared folder is empty. Why? I've enabled Shared Folders! Please help!

My God, it works! Thanks so much, but for some reason the DVD drive is not detected after editing the services.sh file and the shared folder is empty. Why? I've enabled Shared Folders! Please help!

Do you have a DVD mounted and have you actually added a folder to the shares? Check the VMware guest settings.

Do you have a DVD mounted and have you actually added a folder to the shares? Check the VMware guest settings.

Yes, I have the install disc mounted all the time (for some reason Mac won't boot up if the install disc is not in) and have already enabled Shared Folders to path C:\Downloads.

Hi,

Is there a recommended host operating system for running VMWare Workstation? I was told that a Windows-based host will provide better GPU acceleration, is that true?

Currently I'm running on Ubuntu 9.04 JeOS to save as much resources as possible for the VM.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

I have run the same machine with both Windows and Suse Linux 11.1 with Workstation 6.5.3 and 7.0 betas. The subjective view I have is that Linux is better in terms of responsiveness, but I have no figures to back it up. However due to work needs I run Windows as the host on a daily basis. If you have a piece of compatible hardware, ESX or ESXi 4.0 is the fastest. (Was lucky in that the same machine can be used for Windows, Linux and ESXi).

Hi,

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

I also feel GNU/Linux is better for responsiveness. However, that claim may be legitimate... I don't know how VMware does Direct3D with a Linux host, but VirtualBox uses Wine libraries to translate Direct3D calls into OpenGL ones. This could slow things down a bit and in general degrade compatibility with 3D apps, but I don't see any other way VMware could have gone..?

I need help, it gets past the apple screen then just sites on a dark grey screen with a beach ball on it.

Host hardware:

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.37 GHz - 4 Cores

4GB ram

GeForce 8800GT

800GB Raid0

Mobo: Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage Formula

Guest:

2.5GB ram

60GB SCSI

DVD IDE

Logs and config attached in .zip (3 files) - Mac_OS_X.zip

I need help, it gets past the apple screen then just sites on a dark grey screen with a beach ball on it.

Host hardware:

4GB ram

GeForce 8800GT

800GB Raid0

Mobo: Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage Formula

Guest:

2.5GB ram

60GB SCSI

DVD IDE

Logs and config attached in .zip (3 files) - Mac_OS_X.zip

Not sure this will work currently, as problems in past with Core2 Quad processors. Hwoever you are missing the following 2 pieces of information in VMX:

guestos = darwin10-64

smc.present = "FALSE"

The 64-bit mode should be fine -remember this is not the kernel but the userland being able to run 64-bit code. Only in Fusion 3 RC can you currently run 64-bit kernel as well.

Not sure this will work currently, as problems in past with Core2 Quad processors. Hwoever you are missing the following 2 pieces of information in VMX:

guestos = darwin10-64

smc.present = "FALSE"

The 64-bit mode should be fine -remember this is not the kernel but the userland being able to run 64-bit code. Only in Fusion 3 RC can you currently run 64-bit kernel as well.

No still doesn't work, Leopard runs in VMWare though, but i realy need Snow Leopard for latest iPhone SDK

EDIT: I am using Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64

No still doesn't work, Leopard runs in VMWare though, but i realy need Snow Leopard for latest iPhone SDK

Well I will have to look into it some more, but as of now I don't have an answer for you.

Yes, I have the install disc mounted all the time (for some reason Mac won't boot up if the install disc is not in) and have already enabled Shared Folders to path C:\Downloads.

Donk,

I have the same problem as nfshp253. I followed the steps to enable sharing. I enabled Shared Folders in VMware settings and I shared folders in the host, but the shared folders is still empty in the guest.

Donk,

I have the same problem as nfshp253. I followed the steps to enable sharing. I enabled Shared Folders in VMware settings and I shared folders in the host, but the shared folders is still empty in the guest.

Please then attach all the information I need from the first post (Problem Resolution) section.