VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Donk,

In the installation folder "INSTALL VMWARE TOOLSAPP", I couldn't find the installation package.

You are running the tools inside the guest? The folder name suggests you are doing it on the host.

Is there any possible way to add networking to the virtual machine :(? I have had no luck with networking... I am also having trouble trying to get the file sharing to work. I edited the line to the services.sh and restarted it, turned on file sharing, tried out a file and the file on the virtual machine never showed up. Take a look at my VMX to see if I did something wrong.

Thanks!

Leopard.vmx.txt

Hello,

I'm trying to use this guide to install from an OS X Leopard cd that came with my Mac Book Pro onto a VM using Workstation 7 Beta.

In the VM settings, when I configure the CD-ROM to use my Physical CD-ROM, the VM cannot find a boot device. If I use the darwin.iso image from the vmware=darwin-snowy.zip, I get some sort of boot loader but it cannot find any media to boot from.

Now I've tried adding another virtual CD-ROM and each mapped like so:

CD-ROM (ide0) darwin.iso

CD-ROM (ide1) Physical Drive

When I boot the above configuration, I get stalled with the message "Please wait for DVD to load...|" and the status indicator spins forever.. it's been spinning for 2 hours and the cd hasn't booted yet.

Am I doing something wrong or making assumptions about things that I shouldn't? How do I boot my install cd?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello,

I'm trying to use this guide to install from an OS X Leopard cd that came with my Mac Book Pro onto a VM using Workstation 7 Beta.

In the VM settings, when I configure the CD-ROM to use my Physical CD-ROM, the VM cannot find a boot device. If I use the darwin.iso image from the vmware=darwin-snowy.zip, I get some sort of boot loader but it cannot find any media to boot from.

Now I've tried adding another virtual CD-ROM and each mapped like so:

CD-ROM (ide0) darwin.iso

CD-ROM (ide1) Physical Drive

When I boot the above configuration, I get stalled with the message "Please wait for DVD to load...|" and the status indicator spins forever.. it's been spinning for 2 hours and the cd hasn't booted yet.

Am I doing something wrong or making assumptions about things that I shouldn't? How do I boot my install cd?

Thanks,

Mike

RTFM - you need to set it up to use a leopard or snow leopard iso image not the darwin.iso. Note you cannot use the MBP DVD as it is not a retail version, and will not install on VMware.

You are running the tools inside the guest? The folder name suggests you are doing it on the host.

Hi Donk,

Would you please guid me how to install this vmware tool in the virtual machine. I couldn't hardly find the installation package in the "INSTALL VMWARE TOOLSAPP" folder

You need to enable VT-x in the BIOS and cold power cycle the machine. I assume you have a VT-x enabled CPU.

I was not using a VT-x computer ... so I got one with an Intel E2200 processor which has EM64T. It has a Phoenix BIOS but there is no VT-x option.

I still get the error "Virtual machine kernel stack fault". Before that I get "The host is not capable of hardware virtualization. Using software virtualization instead." ... does that mean it does not have VT-x?

I was not using a VT-x computer ... so I got one with an Intel E2200 processor which has EM64T. It has a Phoenix BIOS but there is no VT-x option.

I still get the error "Virtual machine kernel stack fault". Before that I get "The host is not capable of hardware virtualization. Using software virtualization instead." ... does that mean it does not have VT-x?

Sorry but that does not have VT-x.

Hi Donk,

Would you please guid me how to install this vmware tool in the virtual machine. I couldn't hardly find the installation package in the "INSTALL VMWARE TOOLSAPP" folder

Please document the steps you have done so I can see what you are doing?

RTFM - you need to set it up to use a leopard or snow leopard iso image not the darwin.iso. Note you cannot use the MBP DVD as it is not a retail version, and will not install on VMware.

Hi Donk,

Thanks for the reply. I've read the manual, but when things weren't going as planned I tried some things in desperation. ;)

I've removed the second virtual CD-ROM in the VM, and mapped the first to use a snow leopard retail cd. Unfortunately, I still cannot boot off of the cd.

The VM BIOS settings are correct. I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Donk,

Thanks for the reply. I've read the manual, but when things weren't going as planned I tried some things in desperation. ;)

I've removed the second virtual CD-ROM in the VM, and mapped the first to use a snow leopard retail cd. Unfortunately, I still cannot boot off of the cd.

The VM BIOS settings are correct. I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks,

Mike

Somehow the guestOS parameter changed in my VMX file. After changing this parameter again, I get a Mac OS X boot loader (what's the name of this boot loader btw?) and I'm able to boot off of the cd. :)

Great job so far on the SNL + VMWstn7 combination, Donk - I installed it for a test with the new VM Tools and noticed a couple of things:

WORKING

1. Software update to 10.6.1

2. VMW7 shared folders to host in R/W ( services.sh UID mod unnecessary )

3. Login to host machine, NAS or other Samba servers on LAN in R/W

4. Bridged networking for internet

5. Copy/paste text is full duplex between Host <> VM

6. Stability is excellent for C2D cpu (avoiding use of XSlimmer + PathFinder)

NOT WORKING RELIABLY

7. Fullscreen autoresize sometimes fails on restart for no apparent reason, reinstalling Tools fixes

WORKING DIFFERENTLY

8. Alt/Command key is swapped with Win.Start/Fn (this confused me four days ";0)

So keep it up and let us know if/how to support your efforts. Thanks.

=============

PS for anyone wanting to convert SL_retail_DVD.dmg to .iso, use shareware UltraISO with simple CONVERT function

Great job so far on the SNL + VMWstn7 combination, Donk - I installed it for a test with the new VM Tools and noticed a couple of things:

WORKING

1. Software update to 10.6.1

2. VMW7 shared folders to host in R/W ( services.sh UID mod unnecessary )

3. Login to host machine, NAS or other Samba servers on LAN in R/W

4. Bridged networking for internet

5. Copy/paste text is full duplex between Host <> VM

6. Stability is excellent for C2D cpu (avoiding use of XSlimmer + PathFinder)

NOT WORKING RELIABLY

7. Fullscreen autoresize sometimes fails on restart for no apparent reason, reinstalling Tools fixes

WORKING DIFFERENTLY

8. Alt/Command key is swapped with Win.Start/Fn (this confused me four days ";0)

So keep it up and let us know if/how to support your efforts. Thanks.

=============

PS for anyone wanting to convert SL_retail_DVD.dmg to .iso, use shareware UltraISO with simple CONVERT function

Thaanks for the update. I use Pathfinder fine on SL, but make sure you get the latest upate which fixes various lock-ups and bugs. There are options for VMware to swap the Windows/Alt buttons, but doesn't work in Workstation.

Success! You rock Donk!

- VmWare Workstation 7

- http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip

- Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail CD

Comments:

- 10.6.1 update installed without problems

- Haven't had any failures, errors, or warnings

- Performance of things like Expose and Spaces are very sluggish (I have a GeForce 8300 256MB - could this be a problem?)

I've allocated 4 processors to the VM as well as 2GB of RAM.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Donk,

By the way Transparent mouse entry and exit to guest works perfectly. But I can't Share folders and I can't Copy & paste between host and guest. First to solve this sharing problem I tried to use the steps on the manual found in "vmware-darwin-200.zip" file

1. I open a terminal session and get the uid from the id command

2. sudo nano -w /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh

3. I edit the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

to

mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=501 .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

4. sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh' –restart

But nothing happened.

And I couldn't find the installation package to run it directly by double clicking on it. In "/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/" folder I found only "uninstall vmware tools" package.

Hi Donk,

By the way Transparent mouse entry and exit to guest works perfectly. But I can't Share folders and I can't Copy & paste between host and guest. First to solve this sharing problem I tried to use the steps on the manual found in "vmware-darwin-200.zip" file

1. I open a terminal session and get the uid from the id command

2. sudo nano -w /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh

3. I edit the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

to

mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=501 .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders'

4. sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh' �"restart

But nothing happened.

And I couldn't find the installation package to run it directly by double clicking on it. In "/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/" folder I found only "uninstall vmware tools" package.

1. Did you use the tools on the new darwin.iso from the SL package? You should mount the ISO using Vmware CD settings.

2. Can you attach your vmx and log files as that may help>

Thanks

1. Did you use the tools on the new darwin.iso from the SL package? You should mount the ISO using Vmware CD settings.

2. Can you attach your vmx and log files as that may help>

Thanks

1. OK Donk, I didn't know that I should have to mount the image. After I mount SL darwin.iso image and insall vmware tools, I can see the shortcut for sharing folders on the guest. But when I change the resolution to 1280x900x32 and start the vmware I couldn't see the desktop (see the attached image file)

2. I attached you the .vmx and the log file

Many thanks for you kind help

post-329958-1255467114_thumb.gif

Snow_Leopard.txt

vmware_2.txt

Leoul: I can confirm this graphics bug. It happens when you boot into a system and the Fit guest feature kicks in. You have to manually activate this Fit guest one more time for it to sort itself out.

In any case, my current snow leopard VM config:

http://saivert.xerc.biz/files/mac_os_x_vm/Snow_Leopard.vmx

Also is it still neccessary to use the monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware" and monitor.virtual_mmu = "software" configuration directives?

Also since upgrading to Workstation 7 RC I don't have the signatures installed anymore (they got overwritten by the installer) but darwin.iso is still present in the folder. And I can still use darwin.iso from other folders to boot. But the ISO doesn't get automounted as it did with custom signatures present (matching the modified darwin.iso).

I don't really understand how the signatures work and how Workstation uses them. It's not only darwin.iso that has signatures. All of the ISOs do (windows, linux, freebsd, etc). I mean outside just confirming the authenticity of the ISOs.

Leoul: I can confirm this graphics bug. It happens when you boot into a system and the Fit guest feature kicks in. You have to manually activate this Fit guest one more time for it to sort itself out.

guys, this may happen if the maximum resolution of the vm is set lower than what you apply. under vm devices make sure there is no upper limit set for display resolution. happened to me and I had the same problem that you got.

I don't really understand how the signatures work and how Workstation uses them. It's not only darwin.iso that has signatures. All of the ISOs do (windows, linux, freebsd, etc). I mean outside just confirming the authenticity of the ISOs.

Always run uninstall/install when you get a new version of VMware. Also with Workstation 7 if it downloads new tools from the VMware web site you will have to run it again. I am trying to find a way around this, but the only way currently is to binary patch the vmware executable.

Always run uninstall/install when you get a new version of VMware. Also with Workstation 7 if it downloads new tools from the VMware web site you will have to run it again. I am trying to find a way around this, but the only way currently is to binary patch the vmware executable.

I think you can disable the auto-downloading of the tools.

Edit->Preferences->Updates

- Check for new version of VMware Workstation on startup

- Check for new software components as needed

- Automatically update VMware Tools at power on

I think you can disable the auto-downloading of the tools.

Edit->Preferences->Updates

- Check for new version of VMware Workstation on startup

- Check for new software components as needed

- Automatically update VMware Tools at power on

Yes you can do that, but you would be best using the full instaler rather than the light one.

Successfully installed Snow Leopard

- using VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

- on Windows 7

- on an Intel i7

----

VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

Used UltraISO to convert DMG Snow Leopard Retail Image to ISO

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm

Downloaded and extracted

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

Downloaded and overwrote above extracted files using

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip

Ran ".\setup.cmd install" as Administrator from cmd.exe

Created a FreeBSD 64-bit Guest with 1 CPU 1 Core 2GB RAM and using NAT

Created a 32GB SCSI LSI Logic disk

Used the following additions/modifications to the generated .vmx file

- ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

- guestOS = "darwin10-64"

- monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

- monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

- ich7m.present = "TRUE"

- smc.present = "FALSE"

Upgraded online to 10.6.1, installed all extras and development tools.

Installed VMware Tools by mounting darwin.iso from the snowy ZIP file.

Enabled Shared Folders.

Took a VMware Snapshot to be safe.

That's it. Seems stable so far.

Many thanks Donk :-)

I am trying to install SL 10.6 into VM Workstation 7 RC, but I am stuck at the DVD booting of the SL Darwin.ISO.

applemacosx106snowleopa.png

Maybe something wrong in my VMX?

You need to point the virtual CD to the SL iso not darwin.iso.