VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

OK I'll find somewhere else. I didn't upload to Rapidshare so not going to vouch for its authenticity!

Hi Donk... have you had a chance to update your file download? Would like to try your guide out...thanks

VMWare Workstation 7 RC is working for me.

Things were already working well for me with WS 6.5.3. After upgrading, things continue to look good. I took the risk based on reading through this threadx and seeing Donk's mentions that things work the same in WS7. And, so far, it seems it does. :)

Thanks Donk. Using OS X in VMWare on Linux is very liberating.

cheers! I owe you a beer...or 4.

Hi Donk... have you had a chance to update your file download? Would like to try your guide out...thanks

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-voodoo.zip

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

First post is updated.

Hello,

first of all many thanks for your tremendous work.

I use vmware workstation 6.5 on the linux host and want to install osx from a vanilla retail 10.5 installation dvd legally owned.

I get to the language choice and immediately get a "cannot install on this computer" message with a reboot option.

I am very new to the Mac world, so please advise something.

CPU is intel C2D E8400, VT-x is enabled in BIOS.

Thank you,

Inso.

Hello,

first of all many thanks for your tremendous work.

I use vmware workstation 6.5 on the linux host and want to install osx from a vanilla retail 10.5 installation dvd legally owned.

I get to the language choice and immediately get a "cannot install on this computer" message with a reboot option.

I am very new to the Mac world, so please advise something.

CPU is intel C2D E8400, VT-x is enabled in BIOS.

Thank you,

Inso.

Is the DVD from another Mac? If so that is a restore DVD and won't install. What colour is the DVD?

Is the DVD from another Mac? If so that is a restore DVD and won't install. What colour is the DVD?

The DVD came with the intel-based Mac mini. Disk colour is gray.

Another thing, when i clicked OK on the message and started System Profiler, the Hardware tab says "there was an error gathering this information."

Hi Donk,

Sorry for my understanding. Is that means it is possible to install snow leopard on vmware workstation using the file found on the third link.

Hi Donk,

Sorry for my understanding. Is that means it is possible to install snow leopard on vmware workstation using the file found on the third link.

Yes but only on Workstation 7 (probably Player 3).

Hi. Thanks for your great work Donk.

For Snow Leopard: There's only the darwin.iso included in the "vmware-darwin-snowy.zip" package. Should we use the remaining files from "vmware-darwin-200.zip" ?

Yes for now. I need to write some more details about this and will produce a new package, but I am busy with work just at the moment. Note that you will need to use darwin10 or darwin10-64 in the VMX file. Also this method can boot 64-bit Snow Leopard, but not the 64-bit kernel (same a Leopard). This should not be a problem unless you want to hack on 64-bit extensions. VMware have implemented a different way to do this, and not sure it can be used outside of Fusion.

The DVD came with the intel-based Mac mini. Disk colour is gray.

Another thing, when i clicked OK on the message and started System Profiler, the Hardware tab says "there was an error gathering this information."

Sorry you can't use that DVD, it isn't a retail one but a machine specific one. Whilst I believe you can hack the image to remove the machine check, I don't have those details.

I have an error with FSB , I arrive to load 10.5.5 , I Have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 . I use VMware 7 . I don't know what's the problem.

If you read the documents you will realise that this is only supported on Intel processors.

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here:

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-voodoo.zip

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

• VMware product and version being used
  • Host operating system
  • Host CPU
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  • Please attach the VMX file
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

Donk,

When was "vmware-darwin-snowy.zip" released? Was this just recently released. I don't remember seeing it.

Will this allow Fusion 2.0.5 to run Snow Leopard without receiving the gray background with the spinning beach ball Snow Leopard installation issue?

Donk,

When was "vmware-darwin-snowy.zip" released? Was this just recently released. I don't remember seeing it.

Will this allow Fusion 2.0.5 to run Snow Leopard without receiving the gray background with the spinning beach ball Snow Leopard installation issue?

I uploaded it last week for another thread. For now this is only tested for Workstation 7, but you can try it for me if you like. My real Mac is now on Fusion 3.

I uploaded it last week for another thread. For now this is only tested for Workstation 7, but you can try it for me if you like. My real Mac is now on Fusion 3.

I tried it with Fusion 2.0.5 and it works. No more spinning beach ball when trying to install Snow Leopard.

thx alot donk for your work on this !

just managed to install the snow-kitten under ws7-rc and updated to 10.6.1 :(

any ideas if it will be possible to boot the 64bit kernel in the future ?

cheers,

another osx n00b ...

Any reason that you need this? Fusion can do it, but it uses an EFI BIOS. It is in Workstation as well but I cannot get it to work. Remember you are still running 64-bit apps even when the kernel is booted as 32-bit.http://www.macworld.com/article/142379/2009/08/snow_leopard_64_bit.html

I tried it with Fusion 2.0.5 and it works. No more spinning beach ball when trying to install Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the update.

The link <a href="http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip" target="_blank">http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip</a> (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support) seem to be missing the Package Contents in 1.5 of the manual.

Copy it over the top of the original package. I will be updating all of it once we get released version of Workstation 7.0.

Hi Donk,

I succeed to install Snow on workstation 7. But I couldn't manage the sharing of files in between the host and the guest.

1. Install the tools

2. Make sure you have Shared Folders enabled on the host

3. Make sure you actually share something

1. Install the tools

2. Make sure you have Shared Folders enabled on the host

3. Make sure you actually share something

Donk,

In the installation folder "INSTALL VMWARE TOOLSAPP", I couldn't find the installation package.