VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Anyone able to view video content using VLC in 10.6.1 using VMware Workstation 7?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I've installed the audio kext and gotten audio working nicely but I see no picture. Any ideas?

Really doubtful you will get this working but you could try the latest video driver from Zenith432. Posted in this forum.

No Debugging is not on by default in the RC. VMWare always tells you with a message box if it runs the debugging version of it's virtualization backend (vmx).

Also:

I booted using -svga3d boot switch now and then this happens when dragging windows:

th_SnowLeopard-svga3d-glitch-2009-10-1.png

Click for larger image.

If you resize the windows, they will redraw properly again.

Maybe I don't have the correct drivers. Or updated one. At least I though I had. I downloaded it just a day ago. I'm using snow darwin.iso to boot (the older darwin.iso freezes during boot).

Still running Snow Leopard Server.

Leoul: I can confirm this graphics bug. It happens when you boot into a system and the Fit guest feature kicks in. You have to manually activate this Fit guest one more time for it to sort itself out.

In any case, my current snow leopard VM config:

http://saivert.xerc.biz/files/mac_os_x_vm/Snow_Leopard.vmx

Also is it still neccessary to use the monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware" and monitor.virtual_mmu = "software" configuration directives?

Also since upgrading to Workstation 7 RC I don't have the signatures installed anymore (they got overwritten by the installer) but darwin.iso is still present in the folder. And I can still use darwin.iso from other folders to boot. But the ISO doesn't get automounted as it did with custom signatures present (matching the modified darwin.iso).

I don't really understand how the signatures work and how Workstation uses them. It's not only darwin.iso that has signatures. All of the ISOs do (windows, linux, freebsd, etc). I mean outside just confirming the authenticity of the ISOs.

saivert,

Thanks a lot for your reply. But how do I activate the Fit guest manually?

You need to point the virtual CD to the SL iso not darwin.iso.

If I do that I get "Operating System not found". :(

Also if I try to load the DMG image I get this error:

applemacosx106snowleopa.png

Do yo think the file is corrupted? :(

Used UltraISO to convert DMG Snow Leopard Retail Image to ISO

How did you do that exactly?

I wasn't able to do it.

I booted using -svga3d boot switch now and then this happens when dragging windows:
Look, I haven't tested VMsvga2 on Workstation 7 yet. Can you please open vmware.log on the host and check if it contains a line with the text "Blit Bug: Yes" ?

There was a bug in Workstation 6.5 that causes the kind of glitch you show when moving windows. What you see is caused by the WindowsServer trying to accelerate window motion by blitting from the frontbuffer, but the frontbuffer is corrupted by the bug. The driver has code to detect the bug and work-around it by doing double-blitting. In Workstation 6.5, this double-blitting slows "-svga3d" to the point where it's inferior to the performance of the 2D backend. This bug is supposed to be fixed in Workstation 7, but some of it may still be there.

You said yesterday that you were getting some glitch with drop-shadows when using 2D mode (no -svga3d). Can you upload a picture of that? This concerns me more, because the 2D mode is supposed to be rock-solid. VMware unified their 2D & 3D backends in Workstation 7, so now there's only a 3D backend, and the 2D blits are also done by the 3D backend.

I'll test this out soon, thanks Donk for all your hard work since I last took a look at this project :)

Question though, and apologies if it was already answered, does this now include the cool new video and audio drivers I've seen threads about?

Thanks again.

Yes Zenith432 I get this in the log file:

Oct 14 17:47:55.051: vcpu-1| Guest: IOSF: Blit Bug: Yes

Full log:

http://saivert.xerc.biz/files/mac_os_x_vm/...oct_14_2009.log

Again, I'm booting Snow Leopard using the snowy darwin.iso that you created.

Isn't it correct that darwin.iso only comes with the Fusion product?

EDIT: I rebooted back into SL Server now without the -svga3d switch and now the 2D mode works flawless. No redrawing bugs when switching (Command+Tab) between apps.

Now I only miss the sound. I tried the AC97 stuff on vmSvga2 Sourceforge site to no avail.

Sound is working in my Leopard (10.5) virtual machine though.

Full log:

http://saivert.xerc.biz/files/mac_os_x_vm/...oct_14_2009.log

Isn't it correct that darwin.iso only comes with the Fusion product?

EDIT: I rebooted back into SL Server now without the -svga3d switch and now the 2D mode works flawless. No redrawing bugs when switching (Command+Tab) between apps.

Now I only miss the sound. I tried the AC97 stuff on vmSvga2 Sourceforge site to no avail.

Sound is working in my Leopard (10.5) virtual machine though.

According to the log you are still trying to boot the darwin.iso directly. Please post your VMX file. The darwin.iso I produced is derived from Fusion. ALso mak sure that you take the basic package and expand it, then overlay the new darwin.iso for Snow Leopard, then run the installer script. Finally you are using an ISO image of SL to install, not real DVD or DMG, which don't really work.

Zenith has done a lot of work but for now unless you are testing his work (which I will do in a few weeks after Fusion 3 launch), the tools on the darwin.iso image should give you quite a lot of features; e.g. shared folders, auto-fit guest, cut and paste text between guest and host etc.

Hello, I have iPC 10.5.8 upgraded from 10.5.8 running on VMware Workstation 6.5. Can anyone help me solve the issue that the keyboard repeat keys. If I type a, it may continue with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Please help me!

Shared folders doesn't work also. It gives me an error: "The folder VMware Shared Folders could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Can anyone help?

Mac_OS_X.vmx.txt

Hello, I have iPC 10.5.8 upgraded from 10.5.8 running on VMware Workstation 6.5. Can anyone help me solve the issue that the keyboard repeat keys. If I type a, it may continue with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Please help me!

Shared folders doesn't work also. It gives me an error: "The folder VMware Shared Folders could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Can anyone help?

This is all written in the manual for this thread, please read it. (I am now getting fed up with some of these questions RTFM!!!!) Also I don't support anything other than retail vanilla version of Leopard as too many odd extensions in the distros.

Ok, then the glitch in post #529 is caused by something else. I think I know what it is. I'll setup up a separate partition with Workstation 7 on it to test with.

That's was Donk's work, not mine.

I rebooted back into SL Server now without the -svga3d switch and now the 2D mode works flawless. No redrawing bugs when switching (Command+Tab) between apps.
It might have been a temporary glitch caused by slow response from the virtual machine. I sometimes get that too. I think it's due to excessive paging.

Your log shows that you have VMwareGfx installed, which is VMware's display driver from Fusion 3.0. It doesn't use the backend's acceleration features, so should work fine. If you can't make VMsvga2 run reasonably on Workstation 7, then delete VMsvga2* from /System/Library/Extensions, and use VMwareGfx. I'll upload another VMsvga2 after I've tested it on Workstation 7 and fixed the bugs.

That's likely because you're running a 64-bit kernel. The sound driver is 32-bit only, and I think it can only load under a 32-bit kernel (not sure about that...) Sorry, but I don't have time to port the audio driver.

That is okay Zenith432. I don't expect you to do everything. I'm happy with the stuff you've done so far. It's great.

I loaded up the AppleAC97Audio project in XCode and tried to compile it in 64 bit mode but got lots of compile errors.

th_SnowLeopard-2009-10-15-17-02-39.png

Wonder how hard it is to get it to build.

vmware-tools-userd was not running for some reason so I had to manually start it from Terminal.app and then I got copy paste functionality between host<->guest back.

Ok. I installed Workstation 7. The blit bug from Workstation 6.5 is gone, but it's still erroneously detected. I need to rework the detection code. The problem demonstrated in post #529 is due to another issue I suspected, which is mentioned in post #540. VMware broke compatibility with the 3D API in Workstation 6.5 and reversed the coordinate direction in one of their functions. I'll have a fix for it in a few days, and also add support for the 2560x1600 display mode, which somebody asked for awhile back.

I loaded up the AppleAC97Audio project in XCode and tried to compile it in 64 bit mode but got lots of compile errors. Wonder how hard it is to get it to build.
LOL, good luck with that. I'm not getting involved.

Sorry but that does not have VT-x.

Please document the steps you have done so I can see what you are doing?

I am now trying this on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ running Vista.

Now I get the message saying "Hardware virtualization is disabled in the host's BIOS/firmware". So I went to the BIOS and don't see anything about virtualization. The only thing that comes close is "CPU configuration" and the only option there is to enable something called C1E but I think that is for power management.

Is anyone familiar with this processor and knows how to enable the hardware virtualization?

Eddy

To deuteron: Try this tool http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

Download the dmg2img tool, not the older dmg2iso (does not work).

You can mount .img files in Daemon Tools if you just select "show all files" in the select file dialog, or just type *.* in the filename field.

img files are mounted the same way as iso files. There is no difference. For simplicity you can rename it to .iso if you want but keep in mind it wont make it ISO9660. It's still HFS based filesystem.

I always use Daemon Tools. I don't know if VMWare handles HFS based CD-ROM/DVD images.

Btw. Reading about 64 bit programming and kernel extensions now.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/doc...01064-CH227-SW1

To deuteron: Try this tool http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

Download the dmg2img tool, not the older dmg2iso (does not work).

You can mount .img files in Daemon Tools if you just select "show all files" in the select file dialog, or just type *.* in the filename field.

img files are mounted the same way as iso files. There is no difference. For simplicity you can rename it to .iso if you want but keep in mind it wont make it ISO9660. It's still HFS based filesystem.

I always use Daemon Tools. I don't know if VMWare handles HFS based CD-ROM/DVD images.

Btw. Reading about 64 bit programming and kernel extensions now.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/doc...01064-CH227-SW1

thx a lot

It work!!!

I am now trying this on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ running Vista.

Now I get the message saying "Hardware virtualization is disabled in the host's BIOS/firmware". So I went to the BIOS and don't see anything about virtualization. The only thing that comes close is "CPU configuration" and the only option there is to enable something called C1E but I think that is for power management.

Is anyone familiar with this processor and knows how to enable the hardware virtualization?

Eddy

There is no setting in th BIOS for AMD's of this revision. VMware uses long mode, but not for Leopard. You really can't do this without Intel VT-x enable processor which Macs run, e.g. Core 2.

iSnatch: Change guestOS = "darwin-64" to guestOS = "darwin10-64"

To do this, close the VMX (virtual machine) in Workstation (to free locks), open VMX file and edit it. Then reopen the VMX in Workstation. Now it should boot.

To change boot options click the windows (to grab focus), and hold Alt (aka Option in OS X land). Must be done right when you power on the VM of course.

Snow Leopard uses the new 10.0.0 kernel not the older 9.x.x series.

EDIT: Oh and btw, do not use the voodoo kernel. It's not needed because the bootloader on the darwin.iso works just fine. It was made by VMWare after all. Donk only modified it slightly so it work with the Windows VMWare product (Workstation). At least that is what I think.

It works out of the box with VMWare Fusion 3.0 and Snow Leopard Server (permission from Apple).