VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Currently installing Snow Leopard retail in VMWare Player 3.0.0 beta on Ubuntu Jaunty 64bit running on a Core i7 920... it finally works !

I follow every mods to apply to my vmx and chose "darwin10-64" guest os to have everything unlocked... also used the last iso modded for snow leopard.

Monk, you're a god ! Thank you so much !

Last post before travelling. If you are using the darwin.iso for SL you should not need to do anything for Shared Folders if running on Workstation 7.0 or Player 3.0. Also auto-fit should work as well using the tools on that iso.

Yeah, I guess that's how it should be under normal circumstances. I am using Workstation 7 RC with a Snow Leo image made in Fusion 2 with VMWare Tools pre-installed and share folders weren't working straight out of the box. After making the changes I read in your PDF it worked wonderful :(

I agree with Kenokabe on organizing the knowledge accumulated on these 30+ pages into a Wiki. I personally didn't even know I had to overwrite vmware-darwin-200.zip files with darwin-snowy.zip until I followed Satmonkey's straight forward step by step guide in post #524. That helped me a great deal.

This forum has grown to a size that's way too time consuming to read through. I've only gotten a quarter way through it myself. A Wiki that could easily be updated over time by the knowledgeable members here would definitely reduce the number of similar questions asked. Whether Donk or someone else has the time and patience to set it up and transfer the content of the pdf updated with the knowledge accumulated on these forum pages into a Wiki - to start with -, that's another question. I personally think that if and when that's done, Donk would have more time to concentrate on creating and testing these packages as opposed to posting so many support reply messages. In any case, keep up the good work.

Probably known, but post it anyway (running Leopard on VMws6.5):

- Guest resizing autofit etc flawless with the new 1.1.1 VMsvga2 driver

- almost perfect sound with Ensoniq Audio PCI driver 1.0.2 driver

Im even able to watch Youtube movies!

Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

I am going to try to switch over to this sound driver from Zenith432's repository as the one included with Donk's package was quite weird when it came to YouTube vids and such. It was good enough for OS sound effects though and was better than having no sound at all. Let's hope this driver will work better with my computer hardware too. Thanks to Zenith432 and for the link to Captainfs. 1 Weird thing: version 1.0.1 is dated later in the repository than 1.0.2...

@Zenith432: Would you happen to have a Snow Leo version of the Ensoniq Audio PCI driver? It looks like the Leo mpkg install files aren't compatible with Snow. I tried the file I downloaded from your repository but it just hang half way through. I don't think it even got to the point to copy any of the files to System/Library/Exntesions.

I also tried compiling and installing your APC97Audio v5 source in XCode with everything left at default, but after installing the resulting kexts found in the Development folder (tried plain and IntelICH), no device showed up in the sound panel even after a restart. I had to put back the old kext found in Donk's zip, which showed up in the sound panel without a fuss. What was I doing wrong there?

On a side note, I really like the features of the new iMacs and now that I've been wetting my feet in Mac OS X Leo and Snow Leo for the past few weeks - thanks for the most part to Donk -, I am quite tempted to order a 21.5" iMac with the ATI video card and 1TB HD...but knowing how controlling Apple is these days, I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. Btw, that new wireless mouse they come with is nice and seems great with all the features but looks so unergonomic to me that I'm getting CTS just by looking at it :)

I'm quite surprised I couldn't find anyone else posting about this error, but since I found my own solution, I thought I'd share.

Installing Snow Leopard in VMWare 7 build 197124 worked great, but when I tried to install other programs, I got an error log like this:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x97d5a960 CFStringGetLength + 80

1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x97d5d5c2 CFStringAppend + 178

2 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x0006d31e DrawVolumeIcon + 2340

3 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x0006e623 DiskIconLDEF + 390

4 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90ac3684 ListDefinitionDrawItem + 111

5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90ac4872 DrawOrHiliteCell + 360

6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90ac2e5f LUpdate + 281

7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90ac56a0 AddDeleteUpdate + 273

8 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x90ac2411 LAddColumn + 560

9 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x0006ecf7 ChangeNumVolumes + 145

10 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x00059f07 GatherVolumes + 2035

11 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x0000e195 MainLoop + 1278

12 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x00018219 main + 163

13 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x00006ac6 _start + 216

14 com.MindVision.VISEX 0x000069ed start + 41

This happened repeatedly with different programs, and the log was always the same.  MindVision makes the "Installer VISE" program, and the functions it's calling looked like something to do with getting info about each disk volume.  In a terminal, "ls /Volumes" showed I had a “VMWare Shared Folders” volume, but "ls /Volumes/VMWare\ Shared\ Folders" said "protocol error".

So I went to VM > Settings > Options > Shared Folders and chose "Enabled".  Now "ls /Volumes/VMWare\ Shared\ Folders" returns nothing instead of an error.  To my amazement, the installer program no longer crashed and completed the installation!

Can someone host the 3 relevant files someplace, as they're not available at any of the links I've found in this thread so far. The files:

vmware-darwin-200

vmware-darwin-snowy

vmware-darwin-voodoo

Would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The first post has working download links and I would appreciate that they are not copied around the Internet. Thanks.

P.S. For those that follow this I am online for a while today, but am dealing with other things so can't respond to all the questions currently unanswered in the thread.

I would appreciate that they are not copied around the Internet. Thanks.

...why?

I take it as a compliment when my work is copied around the Internet, personally. If a work is copied, as an exact copy or even a knock-off, it means that the original was appreciated enough to make it worth the while.

If your concern is for bad copies, post up some hashes.

Anyways, your best bet is just to make sure the main mirror stays up or make your own mirrors then, if you want to keep others from making mirrors...

Okay, I got a problem, if you could please help :P

Error screenshot: http://omploader.org/vMm4xeQ

(Basically, "Local APIC version 0x11, 0x14 or more expected")

Using VMware Workstation 7.0 _final_, 64-bit, on Arch Linux.

Snow Leopard retail DVD, Core 2 Q6600 CPU.

Here's my files:

VMX: http://pastebin.ca/1645940

vmware.log: http://pastebin.ca/1645948

EDIT: Changed the OS name in the VMX to "darwin10-64", and there way go. Sorry, I suck :)

The first post has working download links and I would appreciate that they are not copied around the Internet. Thanks.

P.S. For those that follow this I am online for a while today, but am dealing with other things so can't respond to all the questions currently unanswered in the thread.

Good thing. The links were not functional for several hours yesterday when I was attempting to download them, hence my post, but it seems to be resolved now.

Working on creating a Snow Leopard VM in Fusion 3 under OSX that I can then transport over to Windows 7 with VMWare Workstation 7, should work but I keep having issues with SL installing in Fusion 3. Got past the "Server" limitation but the installation just isn't happening...

As far as your "links" being copied, they're on a public file hosting site that's indexed by Google so, sorry to tell you this but they're already all over the place, have been since you put 'em up. There's no such thing as 'secrecy' or anonymity anymore. :)

Bleh.

Anyone else trying to run using official Workstation 7 on windows 7?

They seem to have added a check that sees if the guestos field says darwin. I get a message that says Mac OS X is not supported with software Virtualization.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

I tried changing the name to something random, in the vmx as well as the name of the iso and it says that the os is not supported.

edit: forgot to say I'm running on windows.

I'll see if I can work the directions broadband provided for windows though.

Anyone else trying to run using official Workstation 7?

They seem to have added a check that sees if the guestos field says darwin. I get a message that says Mac OS X is not supported in Virtualization.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

I tried changing the name to something random, in the vmx as well as the name of the iso and it says that the os is not supported.

It's because it's checking for a digitally signed file on the installation media that IDs it as the Server version - technically the only allowed usage of OSX in VMWare Fusion is with OSX Server, so... this page has the info to "fix" that little issue and then be able to get Snow Leopard client to install in Fusion 3 (the instructions were created back when Fusion 2 came out but the author of this blog just posted yesterday saying the methodology works with Fusion 3 also and tested it just after 3 was released on Tuesday):

http://blog.rectalogic.com/2008/08/virtual...ard-client.html

It does boot the Snow Leopard ISO but I'm getting stuck just after the graphical portion starts, I get the standard grey background screen and the spinning ball cursor and it just sits there. I asked the blog author if he could offer some advice but he's not responded yet.

You can't use the DVD in the optical drive to do this, you MUST image it to the hard drive as an ISO using Disk Utility or whatever tool you want, just as long as you end up with the ISO because you have to use the touch command as noted on the blog to modify the ISO by creating the Server.plist file that Fusion is looking for. Obviously, you can't modify a burned DVD in the drive, hence you having to make the ISO for this.

As stated, it does "work" as far as booting the Snow Leopard ISO; I'm just stuck at the spinning ball point, pre-language selection and I haven't been able to resolve it just yet.

The instructions aren't as complicated as they seem, really. I did all of them (just a few lines copied into Terminal from that blog - but make sure you scroll down near the bottom to get the full working commands; the blog author modified them with tips from others).

Just remember: the answer here lies in the darwin.iso, in modifying the Snow Leopard installation ISO, and patching the digital signature - none of this has anything to do with the vmx options this time out.

Good luck...

Thanks for the Snow Leopard updates Donk. It's really easy to make this stuff work these days and it's clean too (ie. retail install).

Works great with VMware Player 3 which gives us an easy free method of running OSX.

Nevermind, I was under the impression from what people had said in the thread that ALL core 2 based chips, except for the mobile ones(the T series) supported VT-x.

This is not true and there's a lot of misleading comments that make it seem as if it is.

For future reference the e4500 chip, which is a core 2 duo 2.2GHZ chip does not support VT-x and can't be used for this from my understanding.

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-snowy (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Having some trouble getting Snow Leopard running in ESX 4.0. I uploaded the newer darwin.iso from the link above but my virtual machine is rebooting just after I get the gray screen with the Apple logo. Leopard is running fine on the same ESX Server so I wouldn't think it would be the processor type (I have a Q9300). I'm sticking the Snow Leopard Family Pack DVD (the new version - not the upgrade) into the ESX Server's actual DVD drive rather than converting to ISO. Any thoughts? Could this just be the quad-core issue that I've seen mentioned?

Thanks in advance,

Nate

Having some trouble getting Snow Leopard running in ESX 4.0. I uploaded the newer darwin.iso from the link above but my virtual machine is rebooting just after I get the gray screen with the Apple logo. Leopard is running fine on the same ESX Server so I wouldn't think it would be the processor type (I have a Q9300). I'm sticking the Snow Leopard Family Pack DVD (the new version - not the upgrade) into the ESX Server's actual DVD drive rather than converting to ISO. Any thoughts? Could this just be the quad-core issue that I've seen mentioned?

Thanks in advance,

Nate

For grins, I also tried Psystar's Rebel EFI ISO to see if it could work with VMware ESX 4.0. I wasn't able to get it to work, either.

I just installed Snow Leopard on Workstation 7 ( trial ) on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Initially I tried to install from the DVD, and although SL booted it never got to the language choice menu. By holding down F8 I was able to boot in verbose mode ( -v ) and that revealed that the DVD drive timed out after a while.

The solution to this was to copy the DVD to an ISO. The easiest way I found was to use Disk Utility in a Mac to make an image of the disk. When creating the image select DVD master as the format. Disk Utility will write the image with a .cdr extension, but it can be changed to .iso and VMware will load it. Using the iso worked perfectly.

I couldnt get the vmware tools to install, so I had to mount the darwin.iso manually. The tools installed nicely.

Unfortunately after running for a few hours the vm started to become unresponsive to input, taking 10 seconds or more to respond ( windows was still working fine ). Eventually it stopped responding at all. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Just a tip for anyone upgrading from VMware Workstation 6 to 7 and wanting to continue using a MAC OS v10xx guest created with Workstation v6.

If you previously modified the "com.apple.Boot.plist." to give a custom resolution be advised to remove the mod before updating to VMware v7. I found out the hard way that it's not compatible and resulted in a completely messed up and unviewable screen for me.

I had to re-install v6 again to remove the graphic mod. No need to worry though after updating to v7 many more resolutions can be picked from within the OS.

After sorting out the existing guest I followed this quick guide to add a Snow Leopard guest, thanks satmonkey...

Successfully installed Snow Leopard

- using VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

- on Windows 7

- on an Intel i7

----

VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

Used UltraISO to convert DMG Snow Leopard Retail Image to ISO

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm

Downloaded and extracted

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

Downloaded and overwrote above extracted files using

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip

Ran ".\setup.cmd install" as Administrator from cmd.exe

Created a FreeBSD 64-bit Guest with 1 CPU 1 Core 2GB RAM and using NAT

Created a 32GB SCSI LSI Logic disk

Used the following additions/modifications to the generated .vmx file

- ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

- guestOS = "darwin10-64"

- monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

- monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

- ich7m.present = "TRUE"

- smc.present = "FALSE"

Upgraded online to 10.6.1, installed all extras and development tools.

Installed VMware Tools by mounting darwin.iso from the snowy ZIP file.

Enabled Shared Folders.

Took a VMware Snapshot to be safe.

That's it. Seems stable so far.

Many thanks Donk :-)

Many thanks again Donk from me too. Updated to VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739 and as above Snow Leopard 10.6.1 is now installed and working as expected. Host is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and CPU is Intel Quad Q6600.

All your work much appreciated.

Has anyone tried the EFI firmware support in Workstation 7?

It is there and I could boot into the EFI shell, but when trying to boot the Snow Leopard Server DVD I'm stuck at the part before the language selection. Just spinning beach ball.

To switch from bios to efi you change this part in the .vmx file:

firmware = "efi"

to get back to bios use:

firmware = "bios"

make sure you type it all in lowercase.

Some screenshots:

VMWare EFI bootscreen:

th_vmware-efi-bootscreen.png

Gray screen with beachball:

th_grayscreen-beachball.png

It is there and I could boot into the EFI shell, but when trying to boot the Snow Leopard Server DVD I'm stuck at the part before the language selection. Just spinning beach ball.

firmware = "efi"

to get back to bios use:

firmware = "bios"

Some screenshots:

VMWare EFI bootscreen:

th_vmware-efi-bootscreen.png

Gray screen with beachball:

th_grayscreen-beachball.png

Not possible at the moment as we don't have the equivalent of FakeSMC in the BIOS. I have pulled the BIOS modules out of the EFI image but will need some serious investigation as likely would need to build a new EFI BIOS module and then link it in. It would be good though, but the use of the boot CD does still give advantages e.g. add your own kernel, and uses simple skills from the command line.

i just upgrade to vmware 7 and snow leopard

everything works fine except the network

the virtua machine enable the network adaptor, but the osx system doesn't recognize one?

it works fine when i using 10.5.6 under vmware 6.5

here's my vmx file

.encoding = "GBK"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
maxvcpus = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
memsize = "1024"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "SnowLeopard-000001.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "D:\Downloads\Apple\vmware-darwin-200\darwin.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "SnowLeopard"
guestOS = "darwin10"
nvram = "SnowLeopard.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
extendedConfigFile = "SnowLeopard.vmxf"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:df:c5:a9"
uuid.location = "56 4d 85 12 ad 0c 95 29-ba e1 b7 38 30 df c5 a9"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 85 12 ad 0c 95 29-ba e1 b7 38 30 df c5 a9"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "TRUE"
replay.filename = ""
ide0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "819971497"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "35"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "36"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "D:\Downloads\Apple\_Shared"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "_Shared"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

firmware = "efi"

to get back to bios use:

firmware = "bios"

*snip*

Does the same thing for me with Workstation 7 under Windows 7 and Fusion 3 under Leopard 10.5.8 with the usual mods to get it to boot (SL client, that is, but even SL server sticks). Wish we could get past that but, so far it's not happening.

I know I've read that Fusion 2.0.6 is supposed to support SL Server fully but, I've got a legit SL Server install DVD sitting here, same thing: spinning beach ball, stuck.

BLEH.

I'm not sure anyone has noticed this, but the reason that darwin.iso shipped with Fusion 3.0 is so huge (about 10 times the size of darwin.iso from Fusion 2.x) is that VMware shipped the package with their binaries packed full of debug symbols. I ran "strip -S" on all their binaries after installing VMware Tools, and it cuts their size by about 90%.

Well that would certainly cover a lot of the bloat, for sure. The opinions being tossed about are that Fusion 3 was simply rushed out too fast, to try and: a) give Macs a better shot for the holidays and steal thunder from Windows 7 coming out - better yet being able to install it on a Mac, or B) with Parallels 4 out now they couldn't hold it back.

Seems most everyone at the VMWare Fusion forum are complaining these days since 3 came out. I've lodged my own complaints there a few times as well. It's just not what it could/should be, I think.

I solved my performance problems and unrepsoniveness by disabling sleep in OS X. It looks like it wasnt waking up when I tried to interact with it. Im not sure how this caused the dodgy performance problems, but it has stopped that too ( freezing up for 10's off seconds ).

The next issue I ran into was that my network wasnt operating when I was at home. Turns out that VMWare doesnt support bridged networking for wifi, so I added a NAT network and now all is well.

My only outstanding issue is audio support. What drivers are people using and where can I download them from? Im looking for Snow Leopard on workstation 7.

Successfully installed Snow Leopard

- using VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

- on Windows 7

- on an Intel i7

----

VMware Workstation 7 October Release Candidate

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

Used UltraISO to convert DMG Snow Leopard Retail Image to ISO

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm

Downloaded and extracted

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-200.zip

Downloaded and overwrote above extracted files using

http://www.daveparsons.net/vmware/vmware-darwin-snowy.zip

Ran ".\setup.cmd install" as Administrator from cmd.exe

Created a FreeBSD 64-bit Guest with 1 CPU 1 Core 2GB RAM and using NAT

Created a 32GB SCSI LSI Logic disk

Used the following additions/modifications to the generated .vmx file

- ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

- guestOS = "darwin10-64"

- monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

- monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

- ich7m.present = "TRUE"

- smc.present = "FALSE"

Upgraded online to 10.6.1, installed all extras and development tools.

Installed VMware Tools by mounting darwin.iso from the snowy ZIP file.

Enabled Shared Folders.

Took a VMware Snapshot to be safe.

That's it. Seems stable so far.

Many thanks Donk :-)

Hello! Thanks Donk for the advice you've given!

I have upgraded to VMWare 7/Linux and used the darwin.iso from filedropper.

The installation of Snow Leopard went ok as described above.

Two issues I have:

1. Grab/Screenshots are not working

2. Keynote does not display anything.

I suspect that those two are somehow related as I 've seen in windowswerver.log traces as the following:

Oct 31 15:31:08  [65] kCGErrorFailure: MappedDisplay Driver: can't set device gamma (e00002c7)
Oct 31 15:31:08  [65] kCGErrorFailure: MappedDisplay Driver: can't set device gamma (e00002c7)
Oct 31 15:32:52  [65] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGXMapShmemInternal : Invalid shared memory id
Oct 31 15:32:52  [65] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGXMapShmemInternal : Invalid shared memory id
Oct 31 15:39:29  [65] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXGetSurfaceBinding : Invalid surface 79857949 for window 170
Oct 31 15:39:29  [65] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXGetSurfaceBinding : Invalid surface 79857949 for window 170
Oct 31 15:39:29  [65] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXBindSurface : Invalid surface 79857949 for window 170

and in system.log

Oct 30 19:44:44 kitten Keynote[890]: invalid pixel format
Oct 30 19:44:44 kitten Keynote[890]: invalid context
Oct 30 19:44:46 kitten Keynote[890]: invalid pixel format
Oct 30 19:44:46 kitten Keynote[890]: invalid context

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--

Hare, Grumpy

Hello,

Everything worked fine until I got this message:

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Here is the configuration file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

numvcpus = "2"

maxvcpus = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "2048"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "mac.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "G:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "mac"

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

nvram = "mac.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

extendedConfigFile = "mac.vmxf"

isolation.tools.vmdebug.disable = "TRUE"

debugStub.allow = "FALSE"

gui.exitAtPowerOff = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:01:4d:14"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

uuid.location = "56 4d c3 33 3e 5f 94 28-96 75 fd 91 81 01 4d 14"

uuid.bios = "56 4d c3 33 3e 5f 94 28-96 75 fd 91 81 01 4d 14"

cleanShutdown = "FALSE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

replay.filename = ""

ide0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-2130621164"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

Here is the host computer configuration:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model EP45-UD3P

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel� Core™2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9, 4/16/2009

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.58 GB

Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 7.97 GB

Page File Space 6.00 GB

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

5 x HDD = 2TB currently in IDE mode

vmware 7.0.0.9911

What can I do?

Thanks