VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Donk,

The "VMware Shared Folder" alias on the desktop points to nowhere. I shared a folder (using System Preferences/Sharing), but the alias still doesn't work.

Does your fix in your manual (ex: mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=<XXX> .host:/ '/Volumes/Shared Folders') resolve this desktop alias problem or does this fix resolve a completely different issue?

Anyway, how do you fix the desktop alias (VMware Sharred Folder) issue?

Another question:

What do you put for the UID? I put 501 (for the first Administrator account) on the virrtual machine. Is this right? This is the only account that I have establish on the virtual machine. I set it up when I installed Mac OS X Leopard.

I am using Fusion 2.0.5.

Thanks, x86_64 ;)

I am trying to solve the same issue myself. I have enabled folder sharing in VMWare for my OSX installation. I have installed VMWare Tools in my guest OS. It put the alias on my desktop. I modified the services.sh as directed in the manual. I was finally able to prevail over my keyboard which was acting screwy in the VM and change the file.

So know the alias is not restricted, but when I click on it, I get a message that says it cannot be found. Any help with this issue would be most appreciated. I want to try to install a couple of DMG's via the shared folder. I have tried to load these into a virtual DVD drive and the VM does not recognize them.

Again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to solve the same issue myself. I have enabled folder sharing in VMWare for my OSX installation. I have installed VMWare Tools in my guest OS. It put the alias on my desktop. I modified the services.sh as directed in the manual. I was finally able to prevail over my keyboard which was acting screwy in the VM and change the file.

So know the alias is not restricted, but when I click on it, I get a message that says it cannot be found. Any help with this issue would be most appreciated. I want to try to install a couple of DMG's via the shared folder. I have tried to load these into a virtual DVD drive and the VM does not recognize them.

Again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you actually setup a folder to share in the VMware guest's settings? Menu VM-->Settings then Options Tab.

DonK,

Now I've tried it on my Core2Duo laptop with VT-x enabled, with Ubuntu and VMwareServer 2 with the same result I had on my ESXi4 server. I can get the installer to run, but the installer then says it can't install on this machine.

Attached are the vmx and log files for the new machine. I tried Darwin-64 and Voodoo. The attached setup is voodoo. I've attached a snapshot of the screen.

What DVD are you using? That looks like a restore DVD from another machine.

I assume you actually setup a folder to share in the VMware guest's settings? Menu VM-->Settings then Options Tab.

Yes I have. I have enabled Folder Sharing for all time and added the folder I want to share. What else do I need to do?

Yes I have. I have enabled Folder Sharing for all time and added the folder I want to share. What else do I need to do?

Where did you do that the host or guest? Also attach the modified services.sh script from VMware tools folder, VMX file, vmware.log and the output of id command in a terminal session.

Where did you do that the host or guest? Also attach the modified services.sh script from VMware tools folder, VMX file, vmware.log and the output of id command in a terminal session.

I was in the guest OS. Clicked on the VM menu and changed the settings within there. I originally set it before booting the VM, but checked it while the VM was running.

OSX.vmx.txt

services.sh.txt

vmware.log.txt

post-486699-1254405600_thumb.jpg

In addition, I have loaded iLife 09 for iMovie really. But I can not open iMovie without the following error. I am sure it is that it will not work on my machine, but any idea if there is a possibel workaround or change I need to make would be most appreciated. Thank you.

post-486699-1254408204_thumb.jpg

In addition, I have loaded iLife 09 for iMovie really. But I can not open iMovie without the following error. I am sure it is that it will not work on my machine, but any idea if there is a possibel workaround or change I need to make would be most appreciated. Thank you.

The line in services.sh should be:

mount -o uid=501 -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

I used the "<>" characters to show where to replace it.

You are out of luck with QE in VMware. I would not use Leopard in VMware for any serious graphics or audio work.

The line in services.sh should be:

mount -o uid=501 -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

I used the "<>" characters to show where to replace it.

You are out of luck with QE in VMware. I would not use Leopard in VMware for any serious graphics or audio work.

Thank you. That worked. I have the shared folders working. I understand that iMovie probably would not work well in VMWare, but I just wanted to try it out, while I search for a computer to go the full hackintosh route with.

First off some info about my software:

Host OS: Windows 7 RC (Build 7100)

VMWare Workstation e.x.p build-185517

I managed to install Mac OS X 10.5.6 from Retail vanilla DVD and it works fine.

Also got VMWare tools installed.

But there is an issue with the mouse. During drag and drop operations within the VM, the mouse buttons seems to let go automatically after a while even though I'm still pressing the button.

Is there a fix for this? Perhaps a new .kext for the VMWare mouse?

th_vmware-osx-about_this_mac.png

But there is an issue with the mouse. During drag and drop operations within the VM, the mouse buttons seems to let go automatically after a while even though I'm still pressing the button.

Can you please post the vmx and vmware.log files as attachments?

th_vmware-osx-about_this_mac.png

I have the EXACT same problem, although it also occurs when using scrollbars in finder windows and safari etc. I have tried changing mouse.vusb.enable in the vmx to true and false but it still does not fix it.

Host OS: Windows 7 RTM

OSX86 10.5.7 iDeneb upgraded to 10.5.8

CPU: T7700 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo

http://pastie.org/639336 has all the info needed

Thanks Donk!

Hi Donk,

First off, thanks for creating these tools, they're great! I'm having a bit of a problem I could use a hand with. I've done the following.

1. On a MacBook Pro with Fusion 2.0.6, I used your darwin iso and installation script to create a virtual machine from my 10.5.0 DVD. I set my guest os as "darwin10-64"

2. Used softwared update to 10.5.8. Everything runs great, except that I get a kernel panic on shutdown after the file system unmount. Not a big deal since it's the last part of the shutdown process

3. Transferred this VM to my workstation at work. It's an i7 Quad core with 12 GB of ram. I'm running Workstation 6.5.3 on Windows 7 64-bit

4. Upon booting, the splash screen loads, then the virtual machine reboots after about 2 seconds. There's no kernel panic, it just resets. I've tried the original darwin.iso, voodoo.iso, and darwin.iso(snowy version) to no avail. Below is my vmx and my logs. Any idea what I'm missing, or is this just a hardware compatibility issue? (Note that I have enabled VTx in my bios). I had to change my OS to "darwin-64", otherwise Workstation won't start the virtual machine.

VMX

http://pastie.org/640282

vmware.log

http://pastie.org/640284

Thanks again for all the great work! I'm a Software Engineer, so if there's anything I can do to help you test on i7 since you dont' have access, I'll gladly contribute.

Thanks,

Todd

Greetings Donk and community,

A very hearty thank you to you, Donk for your tireless work on this project. You have assisted a world-wide community with remarkable ability, insight, and gentleness to us all.

My setup:

1. VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 build-185404

2. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Release version not RC)

3. Core i7 920

4. Retail Leopard

5. 10.5.6 (from expanded dmg)

VT is enabled in the BIOS.

Two log files attached and the current VMX.

The issue:

I first setup my guest using the standard vmware-darwin-200 package. I was able to load 10.5.6 without problems after adding monitor.virtual_exec="hardware" and monitor.virtual_mmu="software" to the .vmx file.

I downloaded 10.5.8 through software update (2 hours dl). Reboot resulted in **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I started again with the vmware-darwin-voodoo package following the instructions in Voodoo-test.pdf. I got through the first part of step 3.3 and was able to load OS X. At the first boot post-installation I attempted to specify the kernel parameters of

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2

and that resulted in **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****.

However, allowing the OS to boot with no parameters, just allowing the boot to proceed without interruption, the OS loaded and I was able to proceed. I don't know what kernel I had loaded at that point but I assume it was not voodoo.

There were no problems at this point. It was like the first install with the darwin-200 package.

Then I downloaded 10.5.8 again. Upon reboot I used the -v -f -x boot parameters. **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I again attempted rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2. **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I have attached the log file from the 10.5.6 boot that allowed me to dl the 10.5.8 update. That is wmware.log.1 I have also attached the log from the boot after the 10.5.8 update. That is wmware.log

Before I wander off into this wilderness on my own (which I assuredly will do), I thought I would post here in hope that someone could point me in the right direction. I have seen the posts that refer to the AnV XNU 9.8.0 kernel but some of it is over my head. I may be old but I'm slow. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. the reason an old fart like me is giving this a try is to help out some younger developers who are working on iPhone apps. They may just be giving an old guy something to keep him busy. It's sure working!

Thank you to all the contributors and especially the master, Donk.

OSX_i7.vmx.txt

vmware.log.1.txt

vmware.log.txt

Hi Donk, thank you for your great work.

CPU: C2Q Q6600

I am experiencing some problems after upgrading from VMWare WSTN 6.5.2 (under which everything was working fine) to 6.5.3:

- just after VM BIOS post I get the following message: "Operating System not found". Also at the foot of VMWare window, the following alert is shown: "Mac OS X Server 10.5 (experimental) is not installed on this virtual machine. Insert the installer disc and click Restart VM.".

My .vmw is attached.

Thanks,

Dax

Darwin.txt

think my labtop is not compatible what are the alternatives?

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27112

tim

What alternatives? You won't be able to run Leopard or Snow Leopard under VMware on this machine. Also there aren't really any good alternatives which perform well. Qemu may run it http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/, but I have no experience of using Qemu.

Hi Donk, thank you for your great work.

CPU: C2Q Q6600

I am experiencing some problems after upgrading from VMWare WSTN 6.5.2 (under which everything was working fine) to 6.5.3:

Thanks,

Dax

1. Have you re-applied the darwin.iso as when you upgrade it removes the sha1 signing keys.

2. Edit VMX and change:

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"

to

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

"This file can not be downloaded at this time.

The file vmware-darwin-200.zip has reached its download limit. Files in non-premium drops can only be downloaded 1000 times, both to prevent abuse and because at very high download rates our service becomes prohibitively expensive. If you need to download this file, ask the drop's administrator to remove this download limit by upgrading this drop, either through drop.io manager or a one-time upgrade."

Found it here http://rs454.rapidshare.com/files/25620735...-darwin-200.zip but don't know if it's legit as I don't have the file's signature.

"This file can not be downloaded at this time.

The file vmware-darwin-200.zip has reached its download limit. Files in non-premium drops can only be downloaded 1000 times, both to prevent abuse and because at very high download rates our service becomes prohibitively expensive. If you need to download this file, ask the drop's administrator to remove this download limit by upgrading this drop, either through drop.io manager or a one-time upgrade."

Found it here http://rs454.rapidshare.com/files/25620735...-darwin-200.zip but don't know if it's legit as I don't have the file's signature.

OK I'll find somewhere else. I didn't upload to Rapidshare so not going to vouch for its authenticity!

Greetings Donk and community,

A very hearty thank you to you, Donk for your tireless work on this project. You have assisted a world-wide community with remarkable ability, insight, and gentleness to us all.

My setup:

1. VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 build-185404

2. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Release version not RC)

3. Core i7 920

4. Retail Leopard

5. 10.5.6 (from expanded dmg)

VT is enabled in the BIOS.

Two log files attached and the current VMX.

The issue:

I first setup my guest using the standard vmware-darwin-200 package. I was able to load 10.5.6 without problems after adding monitor.virtual_exec="hardware" and monitor.virtual_mmu="software" to the .vmx file.

I downloaded 10.5.8 through software update (2 hours dl). Reboot resulted in **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I started again with the vmware-darwin-voodoo package following the instructions in Voodoo-test.pdf. I got through the first part of step 3.3 and was able to load OS X. At the first boot post-installation I attempted to specify the kernel parameters of

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2

and that resulted in **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****.

However, allowing the OS to boot with no parameters, just allowing the boot to proceed without interruption, the OS loaded and I was able to proceed. I don't know what kernel I had loaded at that point but I assume it was not voodoo.

There were no problems at this point. It was like the first install with the darwin-200 package.

Then I downloaded 10.5.8 again. Upon reboot I used the -v -f -x boot parameters. **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I again attempted rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2. **** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ****

I have attached the log file from the 10.5.6 boot that allowed me to dl the 10.5.8 update. That is wmware.log.1 I have also attached the log from the boot after the 10.5.8 update. That is wmware.log

Before I wander off into this wilderness on my own (which I assuredly will do), I thought I would post here in hope that someone could point me in the right direction. I have seen the posts that refer to the AnV XNU 9.8.0 kernel but some of it is over my head. I may be old but I'm slow. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. the reason an old fart like me is giving this a try is to help out some younger developers who are working on iPhone apps. They may just be giving an old guy something to keep him busy. It's sure working!

Thank you to all the contributors and especially the master, Donk.

This seems to be a continuing problem with Core i7 CPUs. It was found that AndyV's kerenl worked OK in the environment where voodoo 2 kernel doesn't. If you want to try it you will need to download the kernel, put it in the root of the hard drive in the guest and then edit the com.apple.Boot.plist to load it.

I am investigating if I can put several kernels and the relevant system and SeatBelt extensions onto the image.

Thanks for the detailed info, makes it easier to sort out. (I am an oldish fart for the IT industry at the grand old age of 45, and 21 years in the industry!)

This seems to be a continuing problem with Core i7 CPUs. It was found that AndyV's kerenl worked OK in the environment where voodoo 2 kernel doesn't. If you want to try it you will need to download the kernel, put it in the root of the hard drive in the guest and then edit the com.apple.Boot.plist to load it.

I am investigating if I can put several kernels and the relevant system and SeatBelt extensions onto the image.

Thanks for the detailed info, makes it easier to sort out. (I am an oldish fart for the IT industry at the grand old age of 45, and 21 years in the industry!)

Thanks for the very prompt answer.

I downloaded a package called AnV-XNU-980-1.6.zip from a forum that Andy V posts on. It has quite a few files in it. Various kext files, patches and a cache folder. There is one file called mach_kernel. Would that be the file I put in the root? I've attached a screenshot of the main part of the zip file.

Despite my age and experience, I'm really a noob with the Mac at this level.

As far as old fartness, I'm over 60. My first job was writing code for the Z80 chip in the early '80s. I like it all too much to retire.

post-491531-1254669580_thumb.jpg

I downloaded a package called AnV-XNU-980-1.6.zip from a forum that Andy V posts on. It has quite a few files in it. Various kext files, patches and a cache folder. There is one file called mach_kernel. Would that be the file I put in the root? I've attached a screenshot of the main part of the zip file.

As far as old fartness, I'm over 60. My first job was writing code for the Z80 chip in the early '80s. I like it all too much to retire.

For a first test just use mach_kernel. This assumes you can boot, which may be a problem! Need to use a terminal prompt as root or via sudo.

1. Start a 10.5.6 guest which you know works

2. Do the 10.5.8 update either online or via the downloaded DMG

3. Do NOT let the system reboot after the update is applied

4. Start Terminal from Applications/Utilities folder and thern enter these commands:

a. sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.apple

b. sudo <replace_to_folder_with_AnV>/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

c. sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

d. sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

5. Now reboot once and at thge boot prompt use the -v -x -f boot flags

6. Once started reboot again without any intervention

Let me know how it goes, as this is from memory!

Dave

P.S. Can you get a screenshot of the guest when it halts, or possibly a movie using the VMware built-in recorder?

You could try the voodoo iso again with the -timetsc boot parameter and see if that wrks.

For a first test just use mach_kernel. This assumes you can boot, which may be a problem! Need to use a terminal prompt as root or via sudo.

1. Start a 10.5.6 guest which you know works

2. Do the 10.5.8 update either online or via the downloaded DMG

3. Do NOT let the system reboot after the update is applied

4. Start Terminal from Applications/Utilities folder and thern enter these commands:

a. sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.apple

b. sudo <replace_to_folder_with_AnV>/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

c. sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

d. sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

5. Now reboot once and at thge boot prompt use the -v -x -f boot flags

6. Once started reboot again without any intervention

Let me know how it goes, as this is from memory!

Dave

P.S. Can you get a screenshot of the guest when it halts, or possibly a movie using the VMware built-in recorder?

First of all, Success! Thank you. You gave me the info I needed. You are good at what you do.

I did things slightly differently from your instructions but went with the intent. The problem lay in running Terminal after the update. When the update finished, I could not open Terminal. The second time through I opened Terminal before running the update. The problem that time lay in entering a password for the sudo command. The password was rejected. I solved that by opening terminal, going to the root terminal prompt, and having all my files in the root. I'll lay out the step by step.

First, let me suggest a procedure that might help others. I created a VM instance using the VooDoo package and instructions found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...474&st=140#

I installed 10.5.6 from a DMG expanded using TransMac.

I had success with the instructions until the second boot as described in post #465. However, a boot without intervention brought up a working 10.5.6.

It is important on an i7 box to change the Energy Saver options of Computer sleep and Display sleep to Never and uncheck the sleep check boxes. It is also important to disable the screen saver. Your VM will likely freeze if you use any sleep or screen saver options. Suspending the VM and restarting it will usually bring you back to life, but not always. This is also the time to set up file sharing using SMB if you want to transfer files from the host using the network.

I downloaded the 10.5.8 Combo Update DMG from http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL866/e...Combo10.5.8.dmg and AnV-XNU-980-1.6.zip (Google is your friend). I extracted the mach_kernel from the AnV zip file and put both files, the Update DMG and the mach_kernel on the Mac desktop.

I cloned this setup so I had a backup when things went wrong. I needed it.

Now to the instructions you gave. Since Terminal wasn't going to work as you laid it out I used these steps.

Before updating to 10.5.8 open a Terminal from Applications/Utilities. (Remember the AnV mach_kernel is on the desktop) Enter these commands:

a. su root

b. cd /

c. cp /Users/{your user name}/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel.AnV

Leave the terminal window open. If you close it, you won't be able to open it after you update.

Use the 10.5.8 DMG to update. At the end of the update it will say you need to restart. DO NOT RESTART. Minimize the update window. Open the Terminal window and enter these commands:

d. mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.apple

e. cp /mach_kernel.AnV /mach_kernel

f. chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

d. chmod 644 /mach_kernel

You can check the results of your work by entering ls -l and checking the rights, the size, and owner of mach_kernel.

Go back to the update window and restart. Be ready to click the mouse into the VM window to get focus on the guest. Hold down the alt key to get to the boot selection prompt. Select H and quickly press F8. At the prompt, enter -v -x -f. The boot will take some time with a pause or two and display a screen plus of text. It should finish and automatically reboot.

If you have the same success I had, you will have a working 10.5.8. (unless there are other files required -- Donk did say this was a test.)

I know I repeated the steps that were given to me, I hope I will be forgiven for thinking putting it all in one post might help someone who is having the same problem I had.

I did two movies of the failures as noted in the previous post. They go by so quickly I extracted screen shots from them and will forward them to you in an email.

Let me know if I have to include other files from the AnV 1.6 zip file to make other things work.

Now I'm off to try screen resolution and audio fixes as posted elsewhere in the thread. Thanks for your excellent help and the clues provided by many others who post here.

JO