VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

The kernel is triple faulting which means that it is something in kernel, and there are no other things I can think of to narrow it down any more. I have looked at the kernel code but cannot see anything obvious, apart from a TSC code path for Nehalem.

The other option I've seen on the web is to trick XCode and iPhone SDK to believe it is the correct version. Google around for it, and may be the best option for now.

Donk,

I was reading your "manual.pdf" and had a question. BTW: Excellent manual!

Virtual Hard Drive Question:

I understand that the following command writes zeroes (pre-compacts) the virtual hard disk:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/zerofile bs=4096k count=1000000; sync; sleep 1; sync; rm -f /zerofile

My question is:

Why use the following command to shrink (compact) the hard drive:

/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-tools-guestd --cmd "disk.shrink"

Why couldn't you shutdown the virtual machine and select "Settings" and then choose "Disk Cleanup" under the "Hard Disks" section?

Wouldn't this do the same thing?

Note:

I have VMWare Fusion 2.0.5

The kernel is triple faulting which means that it is something in kernel, and there are no other things I can think of to narrow it down any more. I have looked at the kernel code but cannot see anything obvious, apart from a TSC code path for Nehalem.

The other option I've seen on the web is to trick XCode and iPhone SDK to believe it is the correct version. Google around for it, and may be the best option for now.

Yes, I agree it is definitely the kernel not liking my machine. The same result happens when I try manually installing the voodoo kernel. My guess is that the only options I have are:

1) Find another kernel which supports Core i7

2) Trick XCode and iPhone SDK

Donk,

I was reading your "manual.pdf" and had a question. BTW: Excellent manual!

Virtual Hard Drive Question:

I understand that the following command writes zeroes (pre-compacts) the virtual hard disk:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/zerofile bs=4096k count=1000000; sync; sleep 1; sync; rm -f /zerofile

My question is:

/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-tools-guestd --cmd "disk.shrink"

Why couldn't you shutdown the virtual machine and select "Settings" and then choose "Disk Cleanup" under the "Hard Disks" section?

Note:

Yes it would... and besides the Mac OS X guest is unusable when reclaiming unused disk space, so you might as well shut down the OS and use "Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup will defragment and compact the disk. The Disk Cleanup method is better (compared to what Donk is suggesting in his manual Section 4.2.2). Using Donk' method of running the shrink process in Terminal will inevitably start scrolling the prompt once the shrink process completes (which is quite annoying).

Yes, I agree it is definitely the kernel not liking my machine. The same result happens when I try manually installing the voodoo kernel. My guess is that the only options I have are:

1) Find another kernel which supports Core i7

2) Trick XCode and iPhone SDK

BREAKING NEWS:

For some reason, I decided to try to install OSX 10.5.8 again on the SCSI machine. I am booting with the voodoo.iso, but I am not loading the voodoo kernel at all, and guess what? It is booting into 10.5.8! I don't understand what I changed. I even checked if it had to do with:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

But it seems to not matter at all if that is there or not. So I am able to get into OSX 10.5.8, and I am really not sure why. I did the following:

1) Installed 10.5.4 without anything special

2) Booted to it with voodoo.iso without using voodoo kernel.

3) Upgraded the kernel to use Kabyl kernel. Seemed to boot into 10.5.4 fine with this new kernel. It also had a System.kext that I installed.

4) Upgraded to 10.5.8 through Software Update menu

5) Rebooted, and crashed...

6) Decided to boot off mach_kernel.original without any parameters, booted fine.

7) Got into 10.5.8

8) Snapshotted, and moved mach_kernel.original to mach_kernel, and rebooted

9) Got into 10.5.8 again

10) Confused....

11) Tried to download iPhone SDK 3.1. FAILED

So I am stuck at the iPhone SDK 3.1 download (yes the download...)

I am getting:

"you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button for several seconds..."

with a grey background as soon as the download finishes. I am guessing it has to do with hard drive activity... not sure what or why. I need assistance on this one!

Why this is working? Only guess is the System.kext did something? Or me changing to not overclock in the BIOS. I am about to try it with the IDE setup. I doubt it will work though...

The kernel and System.kext that I used is from http://www.mediafire.com/?voiwzyo0yn3

Remember this kernel did not work for me with 10.5.8, only with 10.5.4. I did keep the System.kext, which I installed with osx86tools.

I just tried and couldn't get the IDE one to work. Not sure why this SCSI one is working, except for this error.

post-491673-1253157055_thumb.jpg

BREAKING NEWS:

For some reason, I decided to try to install OSX 10.5.8 again on the SCSI machine. I am booting with the voodoo.iso, but I am not loading the voodoo kernel at all, and guess what? It is booting into 10.5.8! I don't understand what I changed. I even checked if it had to do with:

But it seems to not matter at all if that is there or not. So I am able to get into OSX 10.5.8, and I am really not sure why. I did the following:

1) Installed 10.5.4 without anything special

2) Booted to it with voodoo.iso without using voodoo kernel.

3) Upgraded the kernel to use Kabyl kernel. Seemed to boot into 10.5.4 fine with this new kernel. It also had a System.kext that I installed.

4) Upgraded to 10.5.8 through Software Update menu

5) Rebooted, and crashed...

6) Decided to boot off mach_kernel.original without any parameters, booted fine.

7) Got into 10.5.8

8) Snapshotted, and moved mach_kernel.original to mach_kernel, and rebooted

9) Got into 10.5.8 again

10) Confused....

11) Tried to download iPhone SDK 3.1. FAILED

So I am stuck at the iPhone SDK 3.1 download (yes the download...)

I am getting:

"you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button for several seconds..."

with a grey background as soon as the download finishes. I am guessing it has to do with hard drive activity... not sure what or why. I need assistance on this one!

Why this is working? Only guess is the System.kext did something? Or me changing to not overclock in the BIOS. I am about to try it with the IDE setup. I doubt it will work though...

The kernel and System.kext that I used is from http://www.mediafire.com/?voiwzyo0yn3

Remember this kernel did not work for me with 10.5.8, only with 10.5.4. I did keep the System.kext, which I installed with osx86tools.

I just tried and couldn't get the IDE one to work. Not sure why this SCSI one is working, except for this error.

I think I figured out why I can boot into this OS. It is because my kernel is the one from 10.5.4! It says Darwin Version 9.4.0 when it should be 9.8.0. I found this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148566

So I checked my kernel and was shocked to see it was 9.4.0 when this says it should be 9.8.0. Now my choices are to upgrade the kernel to something else, or figure out how to fix the mounting issue with this 9.4.0. It probably has to do with seatbelt.kext to be set for 9.4.0. I am currently using a seatbelt.kext which is made for the 9.8.0 kernel. Now I just need to get the 9.6.0- Kernel and this might work and the seatbelt and it should work...

Newest Update!!!!!!!

I have AnV XNU Kernel 9.8.0 kernel running on 10.5.8! This kernel is based off Voodoo (I tried other Voodoo variants also).

http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/anv-xnu-9-8...3651/page1.html

Now I don't really know what makes his kernel any different than Voodoo but it says:

"Apart from the improvements in the code that Apple has made it will include all Voodoo features as well as a built-in decrypter and Mac model override + Legacy AppleIntelClock driver for additional RTC support.

It is also in general a lot faster, especially in booting, than stock Voodoo kernel."

So I installed it in hopes it'll work. I went to boot into it and KERNEL PANIC! But this time a REAL Kernel Panic and it didn't just reboot like it was doing with the Voodoo kernel and the 10.5.8 vanilla kernel. It was actually showing an error. So my first guess was to try passing into busratio=20 (this is a common fix for Core i7 with voodoo), and it booted into OSX! Absolutely no problems so far! And since the 9.8.0 kernel matches for 10.5.8, I have currently experienced no dmg mounting issues!

If anyone else with a Core i7 is still having problems even after using Donk's very detailed and great guide. I would definitely recommend trying the following steps if you want 10.5.8:

1) Install OSX 10.5.4 (or anything less than 10.5.7)

2) Boot like normal, backup the kernel /mach_kernel to /mach_kernel.original

3) Update OSX to 10.5.8 using the Apple menu.

4) Reboot and you probably will get some nasty reboot cycle or kernel panic.

5) type in mach_kernel.original at the boot menu prompt (the one from when you press h and F8)

6) Hope it boots to 10.5.8 with this older kernel.

7) Download the AnV XNU kernel from http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/anv-xnu-9-8...3651/page1.html (first post)

8) Download OSX86Tools: http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

9) Install any System.ktex with OSX86Tools and copy the mach_kernel from AnV XNU kernel over /mach_kernel with a sudo cp command.

10) Reboot and pray... (it probably won't work yet, it didn't for me)

11) If it doesn't work spam h and F8 until you get to the boot menu again. Type in busratio=20 (you may need to modify the 20 depending on your setup) and press enter and really start praying.

From the Voodoo Guide:

busratio=

This is used to specify your processor's clock multiplier. This is also known as the

bus ratio, and is the ratio of your FSB frequency to your processor's highest

frequency. If you need to specify a non-integer bus ratio, simply omit the decimal

point. Typical range: 3 to 30. Examples: busratio=13 (multiplier 13) or

busratio=105 (multiplier 10.5)

I really hope these steps help someone out there! If not, keep trying different kernels and setting until it works! Don't give up! I didn't.

EDIT:

Attached is my vmx and I am also using the original darwin.iso (not the voodoo.iso).

OSX.zip

post-491673-1253169669_thumb.jpg

Donk,

My question is:

Note:

Yes it would, but I was just trying to show how it could be done within the guest. Usually I run this then shut the guest down before taking a snap shot.

Newest Update!!!!!!!

I have AnV XNU Kernel 9.8.0 kernel running on 10.5.8! This kernel is based off Voodoo (I tried other Voodoo variants also).

Now I don't really know what makes his kernel any different than Voodoo but it says:

"Apart from the improvements in the code that Apple has made it will include all Voodoo features as well as a built-in decrypter and Mac model override + Legacy AppleIntelClock driver for additional RTC support.

It is also in general a lot faster, especially in booting, than stock Voodoo kernel."

So I installed it in hopes it'll work. I went to boot into it and KERNEL PANIC! But this time a REAL Kernel Panic and it didn't just reboot like it was doing with the Voodoo kernel and the 10.5.8 vanilla kernel. It was actually showing an error. So my first guess was to try passing into busratio=20 (this is a common fix for Core i7 with voodoo), and it booted into OSX! Absolutely no problems so far! And since the 9.8.0 kernel matches for 10.5.8, I have currently experienced no dmg mounting issues!

If anyone else with a Core i7 is still having problems even after using Donk's very detailed and great guide. I would definitely recommend trying the following steps if you want 10.5.8:

5) type in mach_kernel.original at the boot menu prompt (the one from when you press h and F8)

7) Download the AnV XNU kernel from http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/anv-xnu-9-8...3651/page1.html (first post)

9) Install any System.ktex with OSX86Tools and copy the mach_kernel from AnV XNU kernel over /mach_kernel with a sudo cp command.

11) If it doesn't work spam h and F8 until you get to the boot menu again. Type in busratio=20 (you may need to modify the 20 depending on your setup) and press enter and really start praying.

From the Voodoo Guide:

busratio=

This is used to specify your processor's clock multiplier. This is also known as the

frequency. If you need to specify a non-integer bus ratio, simply omit the decimal

I really hope these steps help someone out there! If not, keep trying different kernels and setting until it works! Don't give up! I didn't.

EDIT:

Attached is my vmx and I am also using the original darwin.iso (not the voodoo.iso).

That was bizarre as I just started thinking about using Voodoo 1 and also the AnV kernel! Anyway glad you got it working. Maybe I can find a way to use Chameleon 2 on boot CD to select different ram disk images with a selection of kernels. Well have a huge amount of work to do over the next few days so that will have to wait.

Anyway good discussion and thanks for keeping us posted.

Yes it would, but I was just trying to show how it could be done within the guest. Usually I run this then shut the guest down before taking a snap shot.

That was bizarre as I just started thinking about using Voodoo 1 and also the AnV kernel! Anyway glad you got it working. Maybe I can find a way to use Chameleon 2 on boot CD to select different ram disk images with a selection of kernels. Well have a huge amount of work to do over the next few days so that will have to wait.

Anyway good discussion and thanks for keeping us posted.

That would be really awesome. Yes, I tried Voodoo 1, but it did the exact same thing as Voodoo 2 Alpha3. I was shocked AnV worked considering all the Voodoo variants seemed to do the exact same thing. AnV was the first to give me a real kernel panic (actually it was useful!). The setting of the busratio=20 is REQUIRED for me to get to boot into OSX 10.5.8. I still need to add it to do it automatic. But for now, I don't plan on restarting the machine often. I have installed iPhone SDK 3.1 and I can confirm XCode is working perfectly on it. I even downloaded an example and was able to compile it without any issues. I really just recommend people to try different kernels and options. You could make a nice long list of kernels for this with different settings predefined also with appropriate names. I think that would help a lot of people out and end a lot of the troubles people are having here.

Also remember the KERNEL must match the OS, or you will get a crash during mounting of a dmg file. So this is pretty crucial. You may need to include every kernel version.

That would be really awesome. Yes, I tried Voodoo 1, but it did the exact same thing as Voodoo 2 Alpha3. I was shocked AnV worked considering all the Voodoo variants seemed to do the exact same thing. AnV was the first to give me a real kernel panic (actually it was useful!). The setting of the busratio=20 is REQUIRED for me to get to boot into OSX 10.5.8. I still need to add it to do it automatic. But for now, I don't plan on restarting the machine often. I have installed iPhone SDK 3.1 and I can confirm XCode is working perfectly on it. I even downloaded an example and was able to compile it without any issues. I really just recommend people to try different kernels and options. You could make a nice long list of kernels for this with different settings predefined also with appropriate names. I think that would help a lot of people out and end a lot of the troubles people are having here.

Also remember the KERNEL must match the OS, or you will get a crash during mounting of a dmg file. So this is pretty crucial. You may need to include every kernel version.

The new code in Voodoo 2 is meant to replace the busratio stuff, and that was where my suspicions had led during the testing. There isn't any way to override it in Voodoo 2 now. When I get some free time I'll have another think about selectable kernels, with system and seatbelt extensions, but I am writing some code for Fusion currently (VMware approved!) which I need to get done.

Good luck with XCode!

The new code in Voodoo 2 is meant to replace the busratio stuff, and that was where my suspicions had led during the testing. There isn't any way to override it in Voodoo 2 now. When I get some free time I'll have another think about selectable kernels, with system and seatbelt extensions, but I am writing some code for Fusion currently (VMware approved!) which I need to get done.

Good luck with XCode!

Thank you! Yes, I did notice for Voodoo 2 that busratio wasn't doing anything. I didn't try it with Voodoo 1 though, it might work, who knows.

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here http://drop.io/donk29a

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

• VMware product and version being used
  • Host operating system
  • Host CPU
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  • Please attach the VMX file
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

Donk,

I am using Fusion 2.0.5. There is an option to install "Mac OS X Server 10.5 64-bit (experimental)".

What does the 64-bit mean in this instance? Mac OS X 10.5 does not have a 64-bit kernel. Is VMWare talking about 64-bit applications?

Once I choose "Mac OS X Server 10.5 64-bit (experimental)", what command could I type to find out what VMWare means when they say 64-bit?

Update: The files can now be found here http://drop.io/donk29a

Donk,

What do you mean by the "NDA" in one of our threads (above)?

The install of Snow Leopard under "VMWare Fusion 2.0.5" stops at the gray screen with the mouse pointer/spinning beach ball and I understand that the darwin.iso needs to be modified. Can you tell me what needs to be modified?

I haven't tried the Voodoo package. Has this package been known to fix the problem with Snow Leopard and "VMWare Fusion 2.0.5"?

-Nihilator

guess I was really lucky that it worked on the first try with my i7 920. used AnV's kernel right from the beginning and had no problems upgrading to .8.

Newest Update!!!!!!!

Newest Update!!!!!!!

From the Voodoo Guide:

busratio=

Great find! and thanks for the guide. Now it work just perfect on my core i7. But I didn't need the busratio "fix"

Thanks again!

guess I was really lucky that it worked on the first try with my i7 920. used AnV's kernel right from the beginning and had no problems upgrading to .8.

I never even seen this! I probably would have not tried it because I didn't know you had a Core i7. When reading through the thread I was looking for people who reported they had it working with their Core i7. Voodoo kernel itself never worked for me, but I am glad you have it working!

Great find! and thanks for the guide. Now it work just perfect on my core i7. But I didn't need the busratio "fix"

Thanks again!

You are very welcome! I am happy it works for you! Hopefully it works for other people also.

Donk,

What do you mean by the "NDA" in one of our threads (above)?

The install of Snow Leopard under "VMWare Fusion 2.0.5" stops at the gray screen with the mouse pointer/spinning beach ball and I understand that the darwin.iso needs to be modified. Can you tell me what needs to be modified?

I haven't tried the Voodoo package. Has this package been known to fix the problem with Snow Leopard and "VMWare Fusion 2.0.5"?

-Nihilator

NDA means non-disclosure agreement. It means he can't talk about upcoming releases relating to VMWare. Essentially he has a legal agreement with them to keep his mouth shut.

Thanks very much for the guide!! Works perfectly so far! However only one thing which doesnt seem to want to work.... The vmware tools installed without a hitch, got to the stage with the shared folders part...

There is the icon on the desktop but complains about the alias not being correct, went into the services.sh file and changed the mount line basically adding the -o uid=501 (as is giving with the id command in terminal)

Restarts the services fine without problems, but the icon still gives the alias error saying it cannot be found, assuming I need to create a dir somewhere or something first?

This is the line now in services.sh

mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=501 .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

Any tips?

Much thanks again

JP

NDA means non-disclosure agreement. It means he can't talk about upcoming releases relating to VMWare. Essentially he has a legal agreement with them to keep his mouth shut.

Yep I do and some of the Fusion team pass through here which is why I am keeping quiet. Did point them at the sound driver from Zenith, and they were interested. Don't forget they hired David Elliott of boot-132 fame to write the loader on the darwin.iso.

I never even seen this! I probably would have not tried it because I didn't know you had a Core i7. When reading through the thread I was looking for people who reported they had it working with their Core i7. Voodoo kernel itself never worked for me, but I am glad you have it working!

yeah, apparent in the image attached with the post ;). should have posted this in that as well. I did post it a few posts after that when somebody was asking whether it works on i7.

Thanks very much for the guide!! Works perfectly so far! However only one thing which doesnt seem to want to work.... The vmware tools installed without a hitch, got to the stage with the shared folders part...

There is the icon on the desktop but complains about the alias not being correct, went into the services.sh file and changed the mount line basically adding the -o uid=501 (as is giving with the id command in terminal)

Restarts the services fine without problems, but the icon still gives the alias error saying it cannot be found, assuming I need to create a dir somewhere or something first?

This is the line now in services.sh

mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=501 .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

Any tips?

Much thanks again

JP

That is correct line, so not sure what may be the problem. You do have some Shared Folders defined?

haha what a retard! I thought I had enabled it on this VM but think I did it for the previous one which I nuked as I forgot to do a custom install and reduce the install size by something crazy like 4gigs hehe.

Much thanks for the knock on the head! All working fine now :)

Cheers

JP