VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Thank you, Donk, for this helpful info. I will try to install it on my Thinkpad T61, CPU T8300.

I will post my installation result if this works on Thinkpad T61, CPU T8300.

Need much more information than that please? Host version, VMware product? Not seen anyone else report this and not seen in testing.

Need much more information than that please? Host version, VMware product? Not seen anyone else report this and not seen in testing.

I am using Fusion 2.0.5. Install the "VMware Mac OS X Guest Package", then immediately uninstall it. You will find that the original "darwin.iso" will not be restored.

Question:

I followed the instructions in your "manual.pdf" and have had no problems installing Leopard on Fusion 2.0.5.

I followed the same procedure for Snow Leopard but it stalls out at a gray screen with a mouse pointer. The "Welcome" screen never appears. What is causing this?

I am using Fusion 2.0.5. Install the "VMware Mac OS X Guest Package", then immediately uninstall it. You will find that the original "darwin.iso" will not be restored.

Question:

I followed the instructions in your "manual.pdf" and have had no problems installing Leopard on Fusion 2.0.5.

I followed the same procedure for Snow Leopard but it stalls out at a gray screen with a mouse pointer. The "Welcome" screen never appears. What is causing this?

It does it for me so I am confused. I will have to take another look at it. I have found that I need to modify the darwin.iso for Snow Leopard and it also revolves around the NDA for Fusion beta. Not sure that I can release it yet.

works perfect here on i7 920 with the experimental package that donk mentioned.

Thanks but I can't get it to work. If i use the voodoo kernel i can't even boot my 10.5.6 install. Just get kernel panic right away... Any other special settings?

It does it for me so I am confused. I will have to take another look at it. I have found that I need to modify the darwin.iso for Snow Leopard and it also revolves around the NDA for Fusion beta. Not sure that I can release it yet.

Is the problem I am having with Snow Leopard common (ex: gray screen with a beach ball or mouse pointer)? Do I have to wait for a fix?

I was looking through the threads and thought Fusion was the only VMWare product that would work with Snow Leopard and the "VMWare for Mac OS X Guest Package". Is there a workaround?

IMPORTANT:

I have used both the Snow Leopard DVD and the "snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg" on my hard drive. I thought it was a bad DVD (DL). Not the case. Both methods falter at the gray screen with the beach ball/mouse pointer.

I switched to this thread. I have pasted our last conversation from the previous thread below. I tried adding the variables you suggested but got errors. I accepted the error's default but still end up with *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***.

The errors I get are:

Value "hardware" for variable "monitor.virtual_exec" is not valid. Using the value "automatic".

Value "hardware" for variable "monitor.virtual_mmu" is not valid. Using the value "automatic".

I have pasted my new vmx file.

Something else ... I'm getting an EBIOS read error: 0x31 when I start the VM.

----------- paste from previous thread ----------

Donk, if you have a little time can you please take a look at this?

I have obtained an original install DVD: Mac OS X Leopard, Install DVD, Version 10.5.

I am using the instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474.

I have downloaded and run setup.cmd install as instructed.

It begins to boot to the DVD but then gives *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

I am running this on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP and VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

Since I was not sure if by "real Mac" you meant "real Mac running OSX" or if you also meant "real Mac even running Windows" so I tried both for smc.present.

I have attached my .vmx file.

It would be better if you posted this in the other thread, but for now please add these lines to your VMX file:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

MAC_OSX.vmx.txt

Sorry to add another "me too" reply, but I can't get the download link. I'm keen to give this a try as we recently built 8 processor workstations and I'd like to migrate my work MBP into a Virtual machine to run in vmware workstation.

Thanks mate, this is a great package with great documentation!

I followed the instructions exactly and was able to have Mac OS 10.5.5 installed successfully.

But after Mac OS X is up and running for a few minutes, I got an error message saying sth like "CPU is disabled" and then "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

I got it fixed after changing Number of Processors to 2 and Preferred mode to: Intel VT-x or AMD-V. My system is now seems to be very stable.

My system info:

Thinkpad T61, T8300

4G RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

VMWare workstation 6.5.3

Mac OS X 10.5.5 Retail 64-bits

Thanks a lot for your helpful info in this thread.

Sorry to add another "me too" reply, but I can't get the download link. I'm keen to give this a try as we recently built 8 processor workstations and I'd like to migrate my work MBP into a Virtual machine to run in vmware workstation.

Thanks mate, this is a great package with great documentation!

I will upload again sometime today. Sorry for the links expiring and not getting to this sooner, but family and I have been suffering pretty bad colds the last couple of days, and frankly computers were the last thing I wanted to mess around with.

works perfect here on i7 920 with the experimental package that donk mentioned.

I can't get the experimental package to even install OSX... which is really weird, without the experiment package I can install OSX 10.5.4, but can't upgrade.

Here is an email I sent DONK:

I would like to first start this email thanking you for all your hard work and patience for all these questions. I am attempting to install the Leopard OSX 10.5.4 with mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 on an IDE hard drive under VMware Workstation 6.5

Here are the specific details:

1. VMware product and version being used - VMware Workstation 6.5.3

2. Host operating system - Windows Vista x64

3. Host CPU - Core i7 940 overclocked. I have VT-D also enabled in the bios. All settings related to virtualization are properly enabled in the BIOS.

4. Vanilla retail Leopard, machine supplied DVD or other variant/distribution - Vanilla retail Leopard

5. Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc. - Leopard 10.5.4

Initially I expected everything to work fine. I am able to install OSX 10.5.4 without the voodoo kernel with no problem as long as I use your modified darwin.iso. Following the instructions from the darwin200 manual.pdf I have no issues at all. I can install OSX 10.5.4, and do whatever I want. Now when I go to upgrade to 10.5.8 under OSX using the Software Update it installs everything fine, then it reboots and BOOM kernel panic. Very stressful to tell you the least as it takes a long time to install OSX and install the 10.5.8 update. So I read through the whole entire forum thread. I found your voodoo test stuff and I wanted to give it a go. I saw someone with a Core i7 CPU saying they managed to get it all working. So I downloaded the package, I replaced the darwin.iso with your voodoo.iso using the script. Created an IDE (not SCSI) hard drive and virtual machine. I modified the vmx as needed (this file is attached). Everything seems default and good. So when I try to boot the installation CD on this newly created virtual machine using rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk1s3 I get a kernel panic. It definitely is the correct command because I took a video (this file is attached). So I've been pulling my hair out trying to install 10.5.4 on Core i7 using the voodoo.iso. It seems to work fine with the darwin.iso you initially provide and I have absolutely no problems with that one until I upgrade to 10.5.8, but I really need to run 10.5.7+ for the iPhone SDK.

I have also tried using the other virtual machine that uses SCSI to try to boot with rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2 but that also just kernel panics. I know I am following the steps correctly, 100%, I redid them about 100 times now, and I am positive it is correct. I also tried adding a -f flag to rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk1s3 but that just showed more files and ended up kernel panicing anyway (a video for this is attached as well 002). My initially guess was because I didn't have virtualization enabled, but that can't be true because I made sure in the BIOS, and I don't think I would have even had OSX up and running if I didn't. My processor is the first generation of the Core i7, and I got it the week it came out. It just seems this voodoo kernel does not like me. I hope you can provide assistance! Thank you very much!

BTW: My motherboard is ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

1'st of all Donk - You Rule! :)

2'nd i want to update that i managed to install Leopard 10.5.4 on Core i7 with the original image, but failed to upgrade to 10.5.7 (like many - i want to run the iphone sdk).

So, i used the pack with the experimental voodoo kernel + Vmawre workstation v 6.5.3 (excellent manual btw - has all the steps, and works too). and i am now running 10.5.7 + iphone sdk installed. no kernel panic yet.

Oh - for those who update OSX to a later version using the voodoo kernel, the first time it booted after installation it rebooted and then started normally - so don't panic.

For all of you out there having problems with the install - i read most of questions on this thread and i can tell you the answer to almost all questions is RTFM. if that fails - read through the thread.

Anyhow my setup in general:

Host OS: Windows 7.0 RTM

Vmware: Workstation v 6.5.3

Motherboard: Asus P6t deluxe (v1)

Processor: Core i7 920 with Virt-x enabled.

Memory: 6 Gig ram.

Guest OS:

Leopard 10.5.7 upgraded from 10.5.4 + voodoo kernel alpha3

Vmware tools installed.

Networking: Bridged (NAT not working on windows 7 - if you change after install might cause kernel panic). But i dont see other machines in the network (incl. host). internet connection works tho.

Audio: ? (didnt check, dont really care)

Keyboard: changed to ps2 (USB caused repeated kepressed sometimes. reverted to ps2)

Mouse: USB

Ram: 2048 mb (not sure, but i think non ^2 memory settings causes strange behavior)

Performance: surprisingly smooth.

Special setup not in the manual(but in this thread): Turned off power management, installed caffeine 1.0.4 (prevents kernel panic)

Other: IPhone SDK 3.0

Installed last night. XCode is working. no crashes, but haven't played with it at all yet.

noob question - i keep having to reboot my machine to change iso images mounted through vmware to the cd drive.

i tried ejecting in the guest and mounting a different image, or forcing the mount. disk only shows up after restart.

any way around this?

Thanks again!

Since we have the same setup mine should work also.

Where did you turn off the power management? Windows' power management? Inside the ASUS BIOS? Where?

OSXFinal_Movie.zip

OSXFinal_Movie002.zip

Thanks but I can't get it to work. If i use the voodoo kernel i can't even boot my 10.5.6 install. Just get kernel panic right away... Any other special settings?

Same here ;)

I will upload again sometime today. Sorry for the links expiring and not getting to this sooner, but family and I have been suffering pretty bad colds the last couple of days, and frankly computers were the last thing I wanted to mess around with.

I hope you and your family get better.

---------------------------------------------

Just tried without overclocking my CPU, didn't fix it.

I am not sure where to go next with this as I don't have access to a comparble machine. So my suggestions are:

1. Turn off the overclocking just to see if that is causing a problem. Mac OS X is very sensitive to TSC and timing issues.

2. Ensure you have all these strings in your VMX file:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

3. Install 10.5.4 using the retail DVD (I assume that this is not a grey restore DVD)

4. Before doing any upgrades switch off all power management settings in the guest Leopard.

5. Also give me the output of the mount command from within a Terminal session inside Leopard.

Once you have done that post the details: VMX, log and mount command output in the thread (as attachments not in-line please), and I will see what to do next.

I am not sure where to go next with this as I don't have access to a comparble machine. So my suggestions are:

1. Turn off the overclocking just to see if that is causing a problem. Mac OS X is very sensitive to TSC and timing issues.

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

3. Install 10.5.4 using the retail DVD (I assume that this is not a grey restore DVD)

4. Before doing any upgrades switch off all power management settings in the guest Leopard.

5. Also give me the output of the mount command from within a Terminal session inside Leopard.

Once you have done that post the details: VMX, log and mount command output in the thread (as attachments not in-line please), and I will see what to do next.

If you want I can give you remote access to the machine with the vmware. I have turned off the overclocking. I am going to reinstall the vanilla retail OSX 10.5.4 with IDE etc.

I can confirm:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

I just copied that directly from the vmx.

I would do the rest and post vmx, log, and mount output.

If you want I can give you remote access to the machine with the vmware. I have turned off the overclocking. I am going to reinstall the vanilla retail OSX 10.5.4 with IDE etc.

I can confirm:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

I just copied that directly from the vmx.

I would do the rest and post vmx, log, and mount output.

Thanks for the update. Reposting the VMX is useful, as it changes when you boot VMware guest the first time. Remote access won't work for now as stuck behind corporate firewall and all such things are blocked.

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

For disabling power management I am going into the Energy Saver section and putting sleep to never and put hard drive to sleep unchecked. I am assuming this is what you mean... if there is something I am missing let me know!

Thanks for the update. Reposting the VMX is useful, as it changes when you boot VMware guest the first time. Remote access won't work for now as stuck behind corporate firewall and all such things are blocked.

Well it is still possible to do a reverse VNC connection to get around firewalls. The current progress is this:

mount

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

fdesc on /dev/ (fdesc, union)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)

on /Volumes/VMware Shared Folders (vmhgfs)

I attached my vmx

Please note I did not do:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk1s3

to install this, I had to NOT use this command for it to install. I just booted off the cd, but I am using voodoo.iso, I am just not loading the kernel.

I have a snapshot of this virtual machine, so I am going to download the update and do another snapshot. I will proceed to the next step after that.

OSX_.zip

Well it is still possible to do a reverse VNC connection to get around firewalls. The current progress is this:

mount

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

fdesc on /dev/ (fdesc, union)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)

on /Volumes/VMware Shared Folders (vmhgfs)

I attached my vmx

Please note I did not do:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk1s3

to install this, I had to NOT use this command for it to install. I just booted off the cd, but I am using voodoo.iso, I am just not loading the kernel.

I have a snapshot of this virtual machine, so I am going to download the update and do another snapshot. I will proceed to the next step after that.

OK you set it up with SCSI whcih I didn't test the voodoo kernel with, but shouldn't be a problem.

Now:

1. Take a snapshot (done!)

2. Boot the installed Mac OS X not DVD again but try the voodoo kernel to see if it works with 10.5.4:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo.alpha3 -v rd=disk0s2

OK you set it up with SCSI whcih I didn't test the voodoo kernel with, but shouldn't be a problem.

Now:

1. Take a snapshot (done!)

2. Boot the installed Mac OS X not DVD again but try the voodoo kernel to see if it works with 10.5.4:

This actually should be setup with IDE. Strange for you to say it is SCSI. The settings say Hard Drive (IDE). I am actually doing the update right now, but I can try on the other OSX virtual machine I have which is actually on SCSI and has 10.5.4 on it still. I will check mount with that and adjust accordingly. I currently have both IDE and SCSI (both with snapshots to 10.5.4).

The update to 10.5.8 on the IDE finished, but of course it kernel panics at start up. I haven't tried with voodoo yet for that one. I will do the SCSI with 10.5.4 and voodoo right now. I did read that voodoo recommends 10.5.5 to avoid issues.

Update:

With 10.5.4 with SCSI using:

Instantly reboots the virtual machine (kernel panic)

I have also tried earlier manually installing voodoo (on 10.5.4) using the official google code one and I experienced the same problems. It just wouldn't boot to the kernel. Same problem...

Ciao,

I'm here again, I have a problem on my Dell Latitude D420 is very very very slow.

Could you help me?

Core Duo 1.20

2GB ram

Windows XP

VMWare Workstation 6.5.2

Mac OSx 10.5.8

thanks

ciao

ninox

Attach VMX and log files please? However "very slow" isn't something that can be easily diagnosed.

Update:

With 10.5.4 with SCSI using:

Instantly reboots the virtual machine (kernel panic)

I have also tried earlier manually installing voodoo (on 10.5.4) using the official google code one and I experienced the same problems. It just wouldn't boot to the kernel. Same problem...

Well at this point I am out of ideas as I would guess it is a bug in the test version of voodoo kernel. maybe when there is more progress on the kernel could try again. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nothing seems to work with the SCSI 10.5.4 install and voodoo. I posted the log and the video. The log looked interesting around:

Sep 16 10:30:51.871: vcpu-0| MonitorInitNumaUnmapVMM64

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| Triple fault.

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| Msg_Hint: msg.monitorEvent.cpl0SS (sent)

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

Attach VMX and log files please? However "very slow" isn't something that can be easily diagnosed.

Well at this point I am out of ideas as I would guess it is a bug in the test version of voodoo kernel. maybe when there is more progress on the kernel could try again. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I just find it weird that people with the same CPU and motherboard can get it to work. I wonder if it has to do with my OS being 64bit. I really can't think of why...

vmware.zip

OSXFinal_Movie002.zip

Nothing seems to work with the SCSI 10.5.4 install and voodoo. I posted the log and the video. The log looked interesting around:

Sep 16 10:30:51.871: vcpu-0| MonitorInitNumaUnmapVMM64

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| Triple fault.

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| Msg_Hint: msg.monitorEvent.cpl0SS (sent)

Sep 16 10:30:51.902: vcpu-0| *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

I just find it weird that people with the same CPU and motherboard can get it to work. I wonder if it has to do with my OS being 64bit. I really can't think of why...

Just noticed that you are missing these lines in that last test you posted.

Also switch off any host Intel SpeedStep stuff for the CPU. The TSC is drifting and that is a big problem with mach_kernel.

Just noticed that you are missing these lines in that last test you posted.

Also switch off any host Intel SpeedStep stuff for the CPU. The TSC is drifting and that is a big problem with mach_kernel.

Ah, you are right about last test not having:

I am redoing it now... (this is for SCSI with OSX 10.5.4)

Didn't seem to fix it. I will disable the SpeedStep stuff now.

Ah, you are right about last test not having:

I am redoing it now... (this is for SCSI with OSX 10.5.4)

Didn't seem to fix it. I will disable the SpeedStep stuff now.

Disabled SpeedStep in BIOS of host machine, still didn't work. Here is the newest log of OSX 10.5.4 with SCSI issuing command:

Still seems to not work on both SCSI and IDE (IDE being 10.5.8) and (SCSI being 10.5.4). I don't understand why I cannot boot to this kernel without it having a kernel panic. Is there anyway I can get more information about this crash?

vmware.zip