BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

@Azimutz, thanks a lot, I needed to know how to make Shortcut keys work (ctrl v, ctrl s, shift, alt).

1. It's necessary to have a default boot partition in BootThink (# -b in text mode) to make those shortcuts to work.
  2. # p=- to show only bootable partition (needs a BootThing restart), losing the capability to boot from DVD.
  3. # p=+ to show every partitition (needs a BootThing restart), recovering the capability to boot from DVD.
  4. # g=1280x1024x32 (use your prefered monitor resolution) to change BootThink resolution.

@Dr. Hurt, YES! agree, it would be cool if Chameleon and BootThink teams work together!

I like both bootloaders!

This clearly is derived from Apple's boot code (boot-132?) is the source available anywhere, as required by this license?

1+

Yeah. It would be nice, for a change, when people here obey the law err software licenses a bit more... and you guys (admins) might want to become a little more strict in this. No source... then don't let the door hit you when you go :P

If the two teams worked together on a supermega ultimate bootloader, they sure, it would be great, but then it would be the only choice... What if you wanted something unique, different... There is more than one way do do something... I found that Char 2 is actually not as good as bootthink, even though its skinnable and theres load of english documentation about it, it wouldn't load my XP or ubuntu drives... BootThink has done this from the start... No fussing!

1+

Yeah. It would be nice, for a change, when people here obey the law err software licenses a bit more... and you guys (admins) might want to become a little more strikt in this. No source... then don't let the door hit you when you go :rolleyes:

Sounds reasonable to me but if you want to follow that policy Hagar should be asking the same question about the source in chameleon 2 rc1 thread dont you think? Or should we have some kind of double standard?

Sounds reasonable to me but if you want to follow that policy Hagar should be asking the same question about the source in chameleon 2 rc1 thread dont you think? Or should we have some kind of double standard?

Absolutely, and that is why I added the strict part in my post; in the hope that something will be done about it. I mean it's almost if everything is possible here (ethics anyone?) without admins blocking anything but posts. But let's not derail this thread shall we?

Hi all, it is working great, the thing is...

how in the bloody can the icons be changed and set the arrow point the desired partition/disk?

there's not a config file or something?

thanks in advance

cheers.

I have used this bootloader for a week as have others. I have to say that it was easy to install to the efi partition similar to the setup by munky. It boots my 2 OS X installs and my vista install with no problem. Nice bootloader.

Hi all, it is working great, the thing is...

how in the bloody can the icons be changed and set the arrow point the desired partition/disk?

there's not a config file or something?

thanks in advance

cheers.

look inside /Darwin/rc folder, youl'll see a bunch of .bmp files.

boot think looks for files icoApple.bmp, icoLinux.bmp and icoWindows.bmp, and if it doesn't find them, then loads icoDisk.bmp

by default, those files have underscore added, so they look like icoApple_.bmp etc.

just remove the underscore, or add your own bmp file with those names.

this is what it should look like:

icons.gif

look inside /Darwin/rc folder, youl'll see a bunch of .bmp files.

boot think looks for files icoApple.bmp, icoLinux.bmp and icoWindows.bmp, and if it doesn't find them, then loads icoDisk.bmp

by default, those files have underscore added, so they look like icoApple_.bmp etc.

just remove the underscore, or add your own bmp file with those names.

this is what it should look like:

icons.gif

hi there, please discribe your installaition on your efi partition...we got problems to set it up correctly

thanx in advance

damn, got figured, sorry didn't post early, maybe someone was wondering the same thing or maybe everybody knew...

But he's right that's the way u do it.

anyway thanks mate

shatterhenner, what would be the prob.?

Installed on IPC updated to 10.5.7 had Chameleon 1.0.12 and installed in single disk, GUID.

Then just ran the file, deleted com.Apple.boot.plist or replaced it with your existing one, and noticed that u can add any extra kext or DSDT patch needed. And that's it... bloody beaut! but can't use any of those shortcuts they say. Options can be set when u press F8.

oh! never set a default partition it will boot into it without showing the boot loader, happened to me with a second disk with that other OS we all know...

Hope my humble intervention helps.

Does it have own cdrom driver ?

in other words - can it be installed to usb stick and boot dvd?

Well yes, just have to add a kext in case doesn't work.

In my case Jmicron support kext did the trick.

Well yes, just have to add a kext in case doesn't work.

In my case Jmicron support kext did the trick.

You need to add a kext to boot from the CDROM? Or you mean to install from the CDROM?

I tried it shows my DVD drive icon but when selecting it just reboots, thats even before loading any kexts... (IDE DVD drive, nForce 630i IDE Controller).

Nice animation. ;) but i found it a little buggy, It wont boot my retail Leopard DVD kept given me different errors every time i tried ( system folder not found and still waiting for root device ) and wont boot windows 7 :(

Also upon booting into Leopard from HDD my USB stick with boot think on refuses to mount!

Its got potential but still needs a bit of work

Why are we living in a different world from the devs of this bootloader?

I mean there is no communication, and we're all scrambling trying to discover it's features and capabilities. I think it's a very good bootloader but it seriously need some documentation. I'm still waiting for this to mature a little bit.

hi there, please discribe your installaition on your efi partition...we got problems to set it up correctly

thanx in advance

i got a new disk so i installed from scratch:

first installed boot think to my usb stick (added my Extensions.mkext and edited boot.plist)

booted from that stick, on the menu i selected dvd boot.

installed retail server 10.5.4.

booted into installed server 10.5.4 via usb stick.

formatted efi partition as in munky's guide.

installed boot think to efi partition, chose efi method in installer (added my Extensions.mkext and edited boot.plist)

updated to 10.5.7

but a friend of mine also had problems with efi install. don't remember the error he got. eventually he installed it on his osx partition - working great.

EDIT: changed some info as it was inaccurate

i got a new disk so i installed from scratch:

first installed boot think to my usb stick (added my Extensions.mkext and edited boot.plist)

booted from that stick, on the menu i selected dvd boot.

installed retail server 10.5.4.

booted into installed server 10.5.4 via usb stick.

formatted efi partition as in munky's guide.

installed boot think to efi partition, chose efi method in installer (added my Extensions.mkext and edited boot.plist)

updated to 10.5.7

but a friend of mine also had problems with efi install. don't remember the error he got. eventually he installed it on his osx partition - working great.

EDIT: changed some info as it was inaccurate

thanx, for info...just check darwin & efi in installer did it ;-) and uncheck the boot0 and boot1

but seems that my old hp doesnt boot up on usb devices with guid partition map...{censored} ,-)

Why are we living in a different world from the devs of this bootloader?

I mean there is no communication, and we're all scrambling trying to discover it's features and capabilities. I think it's a very good bootloader but it seriously need some documentation. I'm still waiting for this to mature a little bit.

Did u manage to get snow-leopard booting with boot-think?

hope you can help me to manage my boot-loader:

Partitions:

1.) Leopard 10.5.6

2.) Snow Leopard 10.6

3.) XP-SP3

wanna be able to boot all of them.

At the moment with Cham2 i can only boot Leo + XP... no Snow-Leo :-(

Hope u know a way to boot all 3 without much trouble and without a boot-CD.

Of course u know that Snow uses a different boot file then leo.

otherwise i have to wait for next cham-version.

thx Dr. Hurt

thanx, for info...just check darwin & efi in installer did it ;-) and uncheck the boot0 and boot1

but seems that my old hp doesnt boot up on usb devices with guid partition map...{censored} ,-)

no trouble.

your usb doesn't have to be GUID partitioned. MBR will do fine, just as long as it is HFS formatted.

Did u manage to get snow-leopard booting with boot-think?

I haven't tried it myself, but as far as i could read (from translated chinese forums) it does not support Snow.

Does not support Snow Leopard... yet

Some has reported booting from dvd does not work. Darwin directory has sub dirs. /System/Library/Extensions where u can place your own kexts. In my case placed Jmicron kext and can boot from DVD but I have it installed in HDD, maybe when it is in USB doesn't. U can also make ur own mkext package with all u need.

Also pressing F8 and boot from DVD might tell u something.

It has dsmos inside! U don’t need dsmos or AppleDecrypt in Extensions.mkext folder(one kext less), can boot DVD... but it does not support smbios patching... I hope it will in next version.

EDIT: it disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext so U don't need any Disabler.kext or that kind of a fix inside your dsdt.aml

so two kexts less than chameleon... but smbios pathing is a realy nice thing in chameleon.