Cmedia 8738

Pons

228 posts in this topic

The driver wouldn't load on my 10.4.6. I recompiled it under .6 Try this...CMI8738.zip

Greywolf thanks, it loads without any error, but I cannot find my sound device under System Preferences - Audio. Shall I change something in the plist file or try to upgrade a newer OSX?

The driver wouldn't load on my 10.4.6. I recompiled it under .6 Try this...CMI8738.zip

Thanks GreyWolf. It works like a charm. :D

I had no sound with my mobo chipset so I just went to Fry's and bought a cheap $12 soundcard -- a good solution for my particular situation.

Earlier in this thread it mentioned that this driver was output-only (i.e., no mic input). Is that still true?

Either way, my ears thank you for your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bother everybody but I've tried all the things you said to install the dogbert's driver for my sound card (Hercules Muse 5.1 with the C-Media 8738 chipset) : I've copy the *.kext in the /Library/Extensions folder and I've used this command to load it : "kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext"

And OSX said that to me : kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext has problems:

Authentication failures

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (

"/System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

"/System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext/Contents"

"/System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver"

"/System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS"

)

}

What can I do???????????????????

What can I do???????????????????

If you havent already:

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext

& btw I deleted a couple of posts for readability

Hi, I don't know if this goes off topic but i've found a cheap sound card that works great in OSX 10.4.5 This card is the old Creative CT4810 PCI, whit this card, finally, I can plug my analog microphone. I have Line Out, Line In, Mic, CD IN, Stereo Mix, Mono Mix, and works great. I hope this help you out guys. ;)

The ct4810 uses maxuuss's 1371 soundblaster driver, so it is a bit off-topic. some people experience soem stuttering with this card. The advantage is that it is often available free or cheap. I have 4 of them myself that I have picked up for nothing.

Thanks for the reply, but actually i use it just to plug my analog microphone, and for the line out I use my HD Audio Output. No more answers please cause this post is off-topic. Thanks and bye.

I'm using 10.4.6 and the process not works for me, when i run install.sh i get this message.

junio-vitorinos-computer:~/Desktop/Deployment-1 root# ./install.sh
Installing CMI8738 kernel extension...
22com_CMI8738AudioEngine is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOAudioEngine superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)
Installation finished - enjoy! dogbert <dogber1@gmail.com>

Please someone can it help me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I replaced my soundcard with this one to get sound with OS X. As I recall, I got the same message at first. Dogbert's driver was compiled for 10.4.1. Depending on which 10.4.3 build you have, the kext would be different.

Simplest solution is to download the source code (its posted) then compile it yourself. The XCode tools to recompile it are on the DVD.

Attached find my kext compiled for 10.4.3 1111g. It works on my system.

It worked with that!!! I'm listening a MP3 right now in 10.4.6 :angel:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Installing the binary results in the same classic "xxx is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOAudioEngine superclass changed?" error that many others are getting.

When I download the source, open the project in XCode, and click "build", XCode simply terminates. Is there a simple commandline way to build this thing?

My environment:

Soyo P4I875P motherboard (w/ onboard CMedia CM8738 6 Ch.)

OS X 10.4.3

binary file used: CMI8738PCIAudioDriver-0.6.4-1043.tar.gz

src file used: CMI8738PCIAudioDriver-0.6.4-src.tar.gz

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone Using This Driver in Kernel 10.4.8?

My CMI8738 (Audiotrack Maya 5.1 LP) stopped working with 10.4.8 kernel. It was worked perfectly with 10.4.4 kernel with OS 10.4.6, 10.47 and 10.4.8. It stopped working with new 10.4.8 kernel.

I am Using Latest Semthex Kernel

hello to all, me son as soon as bought one Pci of sound with chip the 8738. I have 10.4.8 sse3 amd distribution with kernel 8.8.1, I have installed the CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext for 10.4.8. But he does not work I have made made several the permissions but then when I make:

kextload - t /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver-0.6.4-1048.kext

They give the following error to me:

root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver-0.6.4-1048.kext 
can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver-0.6.4-1048.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

Help me!!!