Cmedia 8738

Pons

228 posts in this topic

You're not alone. I also have problem getting any sound of my cmi9739a-chip. The chip is detected succesfully and the appleac97driver-module loads without problems but there is no sound playback :P

Did you notice you can attach a headset to the lineout (or headphones out) and hear sounds? It sounds like the system recognize the card, but has some incomplete routing. I WANT MY SPEAKERS!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've tried this driver - All i get is a kernel panic, or no sound in safe mode. I've just bought a PC Line 5.1 sound card with the correct CMedia chip on it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Woops, I installed the driver for a different kernel 0.o. All sorted now, I just installed the right one and got rid of appleac97 as that was what was causing the kernel panic.

Edited by Boopop

I have install this driver in my 10,4,8 system

I have an install succefully :

Installing CMI8738 kernel extension...

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext is already loaded

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext loaded successfully

Installation finished - enjoy! dogbert <dogber1@gmail.com>

But I dont have sound

Thank you for the driver! Good work! After gettin "superior"-problem already mentioned above I tried CMI8738.zip and got it work. My System: AMD 3000+ at MSI k8m800-v (also with OnBoard AC97 already running). My Soundcard is a Nightingale Pro6.

Greets,

µ7

I have install this driver in my 10,4,8 system

I have an install succefully :

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext is already loaded

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext loaded successfully

But I dont have sound

anyone have a reponse for me ? :huh:

C-Media USB Audio...Help me get it working!

I need a little help getting sound on my Intel Mac. Anyone wanna help me take a shoot? The situation is as follows. I have SoundBlaster X-Fi card in my system, but the mac does not detect that. I don't think it detects any of my PCI devices, but this is another story…or maybe a partial solution. From what I've found, SoundBlaster X-Fi is not supported yet in OS X 10.4.X (maybe 10.5?).

Onto the point. In order to get sound out of my system, I checked the HCL on http://wiki.osx86project.org/ and found "C-Media USB Audio (no additional drivers required)" [under USB Devices]. Well, looked like a dream come true and at only $26 too! Long story short…the no drivers situation is not the case. The USB device I have in my possession specifications can be found here http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=1048 notice it uses C-Media CMI102 chipset, So I'm still in the ballpark. Moving along, I came across this post and attempted to install Dogbert's driver. Didn't have any success either. I know its written in mind for PCI, but you never know. The similar error to everyone else in the form comes back at me. Tried all versions. The following is what comes back to me

thedc70s-computer:~ TheDC70$ /Users/TheDC70/Desktop/install.sh

cp: CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext: No such file or directory

find: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext: No such file or directory

find: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext: No such file or directory

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext: No such file or directory

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

thedc70s-computer:~ TheDC70$

The .kext in that directory. I've moved it there myself, after authenticating it, and evern left the .kext in the same directory as the install.sh file for excecution.

Also, in the system profiler, It is detected in the USB section

USB Audio:

Version: 0.10

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: C-Media INC.

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x0d8c

No option however in the sound section of the control panel.

So, Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in Advance

-TheDC70

Image Used: MAC OS X 10.4.7 ~JAS

• 1 month later...

I have compiled dogbert's CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext from source with XCode 2.4.1, and it works. I briefly looked into the source, and it looks safe and open source to me.

GENERIC CMI8738 DRIVER ---- ONLY FOR OSX86 Tiger 10.4.9 !!!

* For other versions compile from source *

INSTALLATION:

0. login as root :thumbsup_anim:

1. Unpack CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext to /tmp/ for example

2. Do

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

cp -r /tmp/CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext .

chmod -R 755 CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext

chown -R root:wheel CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext

3. Reboot -OR- try to load manually with: kextload CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext (Card info should be printed)

Driver provided here is for educational purposes only, without any warranty. Please support Apple by bying real Mac!

CMI8738PCIAudio_OSX86_10.4.9.zip

Hi!!

With this driver I can solve de Input?

All function?

Input, Output, SPDIF??

Tanhks for your time

Short answer is: probably no :(

Output 100% works

Input is shown in Sound Preferences but might not work

SPDIF is not supported.

Source is included - so somebody skilled might fix it in the future... I'm satisfied with output ;)

Regards

• 1 month later...

Does anybody use this sound card under 10.4.8? i'm looking for a cheap and full working card for my brother's computer. hi has an intergrated sound blaster so it should be important to buy a working card.

the system installed onto the computer is 10.4.8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...