[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

That is certainly a bit odd, can you confirm both cores being used in Activity Monitor?

Perhaps try out a different benchmarking utility.

Yes Both core are being use in Activity Monitor.Wich other CPU Bench mark software can i download?

I notice that web browser Opera is very slow when i enlagre page size to full 180%,and when my display size is 1920X1200.

If i chose my display size to 1024X768,then every thing is fast,i can scrool page fast.

Parallels is working fast too when my display size is 1024X768.

I think thats because Titan.kext Nvidia driver is not get 100% out of my Nvidia display card.

msh

How did you get the sleep to work?

Mine never worked and still not working! :(

I Just install Jas 10.4.6 disc and upgraded too Jas 10.4.8,then update to 10.4.9 Combo update.

I Have Nvidia Geforce 7800go card install with Titan.kext

msh, try Geekbench: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

It's interesting how Sleep seems to elude the people that don't have it working upon first install.

What BIOS revision are you using? perhaps Dell made some alterations to the BIOS that has broken Sleep support on Hackintoshes, I'm using A07.

In any case, Sleep used to work for me with JaS' 10.4.8 on Clamshell close, but it wouldn't wake from Clamshell open.

There has to be some element from the JaS installs that is keeping Sleep from breaking.

msh, try Geekbench: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

It's interesting how Sleep seems to elude the people that don't have it working upon first install.

What BIOS revision are you using? perhaps Dell made some alterations to the BIOS that has broken Sleep support on Hackintoshes, I'm using A07.

In any case, Sleep used to work for me with JaS' 10.4.8 on Clamshell close, but it wouldn't wake from Clamshell open.

There has to be some element from the JaS installs that is keeping Sleep from breaking.

I have Bios revision A07.Try upgrade from JaS 10.4.6 to 10.4.9,maybe that help.

I try Geekbench in OS X ,Vista and WinXP.

In Vista i get 1746 Score

In WinXP i get 1843 Score

In OS X i get 2871 Score

But i notice that Web browser Opera is Very fast in WinXP(Scrooling page up and down)

In Vista is little slow then XP,but in OS X it's very slow.

I think this have to do something with Nvidia driver.

I hope Omni release faster Nvidia driver.

Dell released BIOS A08 recently, FWIW. I have yet to try it with OS X.

.sal

Many thanks for the news update, I will give it a try ;)

Edit: Ok, BIOS update didn't change anything noticeable nor have they addressed the lack of AHCI.

Disappointing ;)

Actually, this BIOS seems to have caused some sort of boot device instability as sometimes it freezes before booting from my HD.

The problem occured for the first few reboots but has now magically vanished :)

devilhood

What about people with GMA950 card?

Does GMA950 make any difference in sleep issue?

I have scanned various threads for the "Dell sleep issue" (Inspiron E1505/6400/9400), but didn't yet find anyone with a GMA950 that wakes up after sleep.

Same on my Inspiron 6400. It goes to sleep, but upon wake up it is only the display that "keeps sleeping". I would really like to get this working since it seems interlinked with the non-working dual-core on Dell notebooks.

Yeah, some motherboards have the option to force display/gfx card re-initialization upon wake from sleep, that would probably help this issue, it's just a shame there is hardly any configurability in the Dell BIOS.

Yeah, some motherboards have the option to force display/gfx card re-initialization upon wake from sleep, that would probably help this issue, it's just a shame there is hardly any configurability in the Dell BIOS.

In the A13 BIOS on my 6400, there are at least sleep/wakeup-options for SATA and USB now. I have played around with them, but it didn't help. The issue seems to be more display/CPU-related.

I agree that the BIOS is rather crippled, at least compared to different desktop-BIOS I have used. Well, it's not only Dell in fact. Have you read about the MiniPCI-card restrictions in Thinkpads? There is also a hack for it, but not everyone feels comfortable flashing an unknown Chinese beta-hack-BIOS on their $1500 laptop. :hysterical:

There is also a strange thing happened to me.

After enbaling both cores on my DELL9400, once a while, there will be an interuption during the start up. Sometimes before the APPLE boot screen appears, and some times in the middle of it. the boot screen will disappear and there is only a line of words on the top of the screen --- "localhost:root#".

After i typed in "reboot" for 3 times, the system just came back.

Originally I thought it had something to do with the speedstep patcher. Now it seems to be also related with the duo core problem.

By the way, I am currently using the IONetwork.kext from 10.4.3 and 10.4.6, sometimes, with the network status showing that i am connected to internet via builtin ethernet, I am not able to get access to the internet. I don't know this is related with OSX or the Parellel Desktop I installed. Will try to figure out somehow.

good night guys.

Something stranger.

After enabling both cores, the earphone seems stopped working, though i still can have sound from the built in speakers.

I am so wondering what had dell done to the bios to make it such unbelievablly {censored}.

how difficult is it for some talents to rewrite the bios...........

looking forward to that day

The problems you experienced with dual-core enabled is because it makes the system completely unstable.

It's like trying to drive a car with the engine cutting out randomly, hence why you kept getting the localhost:root# prompt.

The reason for dual-core not working properly is because the 2nd core is set to put itself in a sleep state when the system initializes; this is because of how Dell set their Power Management options in the BIOS. When you put the laptop to Sleep and Wake it, both cores re-initialize together and work as they should.

You only need to use the IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.6, not 10.4.3.

Rewriting the BIOS will be quite a tough task because it involves reverse engineering and then finding a willing volunteer to void their warranty with a hacked BIOS :(

The problems you experienced with dual-core enabled is because it makes the system completely unstable.

It's like trying to drive a car with the engine cutting out randomly, hence why you kept getting the localhost:root# prompt.

The reason for dual-core not working properly is because the 2nd core is set to put itself in a sleep state when the system initializes; this is because of how Dell set their Power Management options in the BIOS. When you put the laptop to Sleep and Wake it, both cores re-initialize together and work as they should.

You only need to use the IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.6, not 10.4.3.

Rewriting the BIOS will be quite a tough task because it involves reverse engineering and then finding a willing volunteer to void their warranty with a hacked BIOS :(

thx first.

do you think it's possible to require dell to reverse that for us? :(

'cause i remember after changing a new motherboard for me (due to the parity problem in windows, which the dell support belived to be related with the motherboard or memory), I actually was left with a notebook starting in the engineering mode 2 months ago, and i personally pressed Fn&X and installed the A07 bios. (i hate my self for doing that now ........)

anyway, i am not quite familiar with the technics, but can we requiring dell the do the reverse?

To get the board to start in engineering mode we need to somehow break the Service Tag information, because once that information is present, the board sadly locks itself.

For those with an ATI X1400, I just added information on how to get it working (I should have added it a long time ago) :(

I posted a complaint up on the Dell community forums regarding the lack of AHCI mode; it would be great if all of you with NCQ compatible hard drives could also post on the same thread, hopefully this issue will be recognized and fixed with a future BIOS if they see a large number of responses.

Click Here for the thread.

I posted a complaint up on the Dell community forums regarding the lack of AHCI mode; it would be great if all of you with NCQ compatible hard drives could also post on the same thread, hopefully this issue will be recognized and fixed with a future BIOS if they see a large number of responses.

Click Here for the thread.

already replied in the name of markbose. (strange my screen name sj1069 won't be accepted by the forum, strange Dell again)

newest news

i found out today the earphone problem which i though to be caused by enabling both cores.

however, today i found out it is because the sleep and wake up course. with only one core enabled, i still lost the output through the earphone after waking up.

will keep updated.

nice weekend guys.

thanks for the guide, got my E1405 working...*knock on wood*...I used Jas 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2 iso, no video issue with GMA 950, again *knock on wood*...i'm gonna go update it to 10.4.9 now, after getting the LAN and sound working...so which 9200 dump should I use? there're so many.

thanks for the guide, got my E1405 working...*knock on wood*...I used Jas 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2 iso, no video issue with GMA 950, again *knock on wood*...i'm gonna go update it to 10.4.9 now, after getting the LAN and sound working...so which 9200 dump should I use? there're so many.

if you have a sigmatel 9200 HD, i believe this will work

http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/sig...igmatel9200.txt

which worked for me with no problems.