[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Note to add to the install/instructions guide. The new Titan Driver/Hack does work for the e1705/9400. I am running my 7900 Go GS with the native 10.4.8 kexts and the Titan fix and have full QE/CI accelleration. The link is below. But this is for only the native 10.4.8 kexts so read the docs fully. Now we just need the kernel stutter sorted so we can get our 2nd proc back! :)

http://omni.starchaser.org/titan/

- Rage

I am currently working with the E1705 and the New New Patched JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only disc. I have had a little success.

Hoping an E1705 expert could help clarify the current status of things.

This is the way I understand it, please clarify if you know otherwise.

Dual Core (Yonah): Still stutters

Video (ATI X1400): Heard there is a fix for external monitor only (boris method I think)

Wireless (Intel 3945): Intel a No Go but Dell 1350 work

Sound (Sigmatel): Still no dice

NIC: Works.. try going on battery and then on A/C if it doesn't come right up

The real problem I am having is that no matter what I do I cannot get the Darwin loader to come up. Anybody got a definitive guide on how to properly format and partition for dual boot, without using GParted or the built in Disk Util.

Now you know where I am at with my E1705.

Here is my experience so far with the new 10.4.8 JaS DVD install so far with regards to your questions.

Dual Core: Still stuttering, thought the new kernel would resolve it but had to use cpus=1 to stop the stutter

Video: Using the Titan hack for my Nvidia and it is rocking full QE/CI

Wireless: Dead in the water. I have a Dell1350 and it was working in 10.4.6 but in 10.4.8 I cannot get it to work, I show it as installed but cannot configure it and it shows in a constant power down state in the profiler.

Sound: Still nogo

NIC: Dead on 10.4.8 Install, and I reverted to an older IONetworkingfamily kext and it returned under "PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet"

As far as the dual boot question, I followed the guides listed all around here, created a 2nd partition, made it active, formatted it with Disk Util, and installed and am using Arconis.

Anyone had any success with wireless on the new 10.4.8 DVD?

Rage

Update to that last post, Dell 1390 Wireless is working, but it was very odd. For the life of me I could not get it to work off of a fresh install of 10.4.8. I went back and installed 10.4.6 and then did an upgrade install of 10.4.8 and that was the trick. Wireless came up like a champ. Only other thing to note was I had to copy over the older Broadcom kext for the built in ethernet to be recognized.

Still the stutter though, anyone gotten past the stutter?

@rage2122

please tell us, in which order u have installed the components.

i mean, which osx86 version and what u do after that to get full qe and ci.

cause i have also an 9400 wich 7800 and it dont run.

So the order I used for any of my Titan installs didn't really matter, they always worked. But in general here is the order I used to get everything working.

1. Erase/Install with JaS 10.4.6 w/ wireless compatibility package

2. Upgrade install with JaS 10.4.8 including the 10.4.8 update pacakge and Semthex kernel.

3. Booted, verified wirelss was Ok.

4. Copied over the older Broadcom kext for the built in wirelss into IONetworkingFamily

5. Added in the Titan .kext

6. Changed perms and cleared kext cache for all extensions

7. Rebooted and both QE/CI was there as well as my builtin NIC.

8. Also changed to cpus=1 since the stutter is still there.

This is with a E1705 w/ Geforce 7900 Go GS.

now it works with new jas 10.4.8 with mifki kernel. i tested xbench and now i'm happy.... 159 points without diskbench

but only with one core.... what about the secound? some people wrote that they have no problems with dual core...they wrote: ... install osx with one core and after the first reboot activate the secound.

but this dont work for me.

what are your experience?

I have not found anyone running a Yonah or a Merom on a laptop running both cores active so far, at least not on a Dell. I assumed it was a timing issue with support not being there in the 8.4.1 kernel but since everyone jumped to 8.8.1 where the support was supposed to be native in the kernel for the new style timing it still isn't working. No luck trying multiple kernels and flags, but I think there is confusion out there since not all core2s/coreduos are laptops and so there seems to be success on the desktop front but the chips are different.

• 2 weeks later...

I have innstall OSX86.I have disable one core.But when i boot OSX,everything freez.It will not logg inn gui.I get many errors.Like a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/Extensions/Geforce.kext.

Same for NVDANV40Hal.kext, IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext and NVDAResman.

What can i do to start OSX?

I have try the option to disable cpu=1 and idlehalt with out luck

@rage2122

please tell us, in which order u have installed the components.

i mean, which osx86 version and what u do after that to get full qe and ci.

cause i have also an 9400 wich 7800 and it dont run.

I've made a few updates to my guide to fit in with 10.4.8 and the recent Titan release.

Titan has been confirmed 100% working with the GeForce 7800 Go to my knowledge.

I've decided not to use hackintosh on my Inspiron 9400/E1705 for the time being, but instead hoping the GeForce 7950 GX2 has Titan support in its next update as my P5W64-WS Professional Core 2 Duo system is arriving around tuesday/wed.

At least that mobo will have sound support with its current driver state.

I was going to go for the nForce 5 or 6, preferably the 680i, but support with that is even worse.

Can you add guide how to configure Titan.kext for Geforce 7800go?

Because i have install Macvidia driver,it´s very slow,my Cpu work 100% when i browse on websites.Screen is lagging to much.Have someone same problem with Macvidia driver?

Thank you for youre guide for inspiron 9400,You have discribe easy way:)

If your still stuttering with cpus=1 then thats odd indeed. It sounds like it may not be disabled properly. Try booting up and hitting the darwin menu upon boot and passing the full boot list option to the kernel that way to test it. Hit F8 as soon as you see the Apple Logo pop up on the screen. At that point you will see the black text Darwin boot menu. Pass the full string that you have in the boot plist there as well as cpus=1 and -v.

example would be

platform=X86PC fn=3 cpus=1 -v

and hit return. See how that loads for you just in case the Boot.plist edits are not taking for you.

Thanks for the reply rage2122

I was editing the plist in terminal and after I booted doing the f8 method here is what came up:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList.1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>platform=X86PC cpus=1</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

There could be a typo but probably not, the important string is the cpu line, I tried it both the way you said with platform=X86PC fn=3 cpus=1 , and without fn=3.

I'm kind of stumped, does anything look wrong there?

Thanks

Yes you must edit like this -

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Not like this -

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

You must remove last 2 lines.

Ok i have copy old IONetworking.kext from 10.4.6 to new 10.4.8 /System/library/Extensions,and replace new file.It work now,but when i restart computer and logg back to OSX.I get error that say IONetworking was not install properly,then i cant use my broadcom network again:(How can i fix that?

Ok i fix IONetworking problem in 10.4.8 to :D

These Fix are for JaS 10.4.8 Pack.

Fix For Broadcom Network LAN (for 10.4.8)

Copy old IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.6 and replace in /System/Library/Extensions/

Go to Utilities and open Disk Utility.Chose OSX Patition and click on Repair Disk Permissions

Titan.kext install was ease to -

Instructions

copy the Titan.kext to /System/Library/Extensions (it will ask you to authenticate, do it by entering your password)

Open up Terminal

Type:

sudo -s (after pressing ENTER it will ask you for your password)

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

sync

Exit Terminal

DELETE Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext which are in /System/Library/

After this just restart your computer

But remember to upgrade JaS 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 from OSX,not from boot DVD,or it will not show screen properly when you install Titan.kext in clean 10.4.8 pack.

Now my computer is running smooth with Titan.kext,i can play Chess game and play DVD.I guess now it activated QE,CI,GL support.My Cpu is running better to.Screen is very nice in 1920X1200 :D

The only thing is missing is Intel Wireless,Sigmatel sound,Full Duo core support and Fix for Stand by mode.It`s goes in stand by mode,but every thing freez when you start youre computer back in OSX.

• 3 weeks later...

I had problem with my C-Meida Headphone set with Jas 10.4.8,sound was stuttering alot,but now i found solution.

I just upgraded new kernel with upgrade script.It`s very easy to upgrade kernel,every thing is done automatic,it´s live update.

Now my system is improved much.I don´t have problem with Safari,everything is running very fast.I recommend everyone to download this script from this site http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33039