[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

hi,

thx. there is still something that makes me crazy. i can't use my wireless connection anymore. i wanted to connect my xbox with my hackintosh so i had to get to work my broadcom lan card and so i did, but now i can't use my wireless. can anyone help me, please?

Shortyman87

what is the right way to get both cores working? can somebody make a kext bundle or zip with all files for working with dell 9400... i have they all but dont know which kernel works at best

what is the right way to get both cores working? can somebody make a kext bundle or zip with all files for working with dell 9400... i have they all but dont know which kernel works at best

It's all explained in the gude.

There is no 'right' way of getting both cores working, only a temporary sleep/wake method.

The best kernel to use is the latest Universal SSE2/SSE2 kernel available on the IRC.

Well I got OSX installed again. JaS's 10.4.9 updated, then the latest 10.4.9 kernel. Running on a single core as dual core don't work. I did try the speedstep thingy but I didn't like that program loading up all the time so I re-installed. I bought a Creative X-Fi Xmod which works straight away, so I got working audio :thumbsup_anim:

hi,

thx. there is still something that makes me crazy. i can't use my wireless connection anymore. i wanted to connect my xbox with my hackintosh so i had to get to work my broadcom lan card and so i did, but now i can't use my wireless. can anyone help me, please?

Shortyman87

yeah, same here. before I did the ethernet, the wireless was recognized. now it's not there anymore. any solutions?

Well I got OSX installed again. JaS's 10.4.9 updated, then the latest 10.4.9 kernel. Running on a single core as dual core don't work. I did try the speedstep thingy but I didn't like that program loading up all the time so I re-installed. I bought a Creative X-Fi Xmod which works straight away, so I got working audio :(

maybe try this thread, it helped me with my dell 1390 truemobile.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44114

Hey! I've got a question, on my 9400 I just reinstalled an old 10.4.6 updated to 10.4.8 to the 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 Semthex Beta 9 and after I install it I can't get the mouse (usb) to work or the ethernet!! They worked perfect under the old setup! any ideas?

great, that worked like a charm. thanks for the link!

anytime buddy.

we just all hope to see both cores working with the great efforts of all these good people.

sj, thanks for posting that link, I totally forgot about mentioning the switch trick in the guide.

I updated it accordingly ;)

Well basically, we should be all grateful for your initiating this thread, really. It had directed me from the very beginning of hackintoching the DELL 9400.

Hope both cores become working stable soon.

It has been a pleasure so far to hackintosh the Dell to bits :thumbsup_anim:

Just a question for anyone with a 9400, do you have an LG LCD and if so are you experiencing colour banding under 32-bit?

I can't seem to get rid of mine ever since I swapped the Samsung LCD for the LG, must be something to do with the detection of the screen.

I'm using DiaboliK Natit with LaptopDisplay.kext- though I read somewhere that it was possible to force enable dithering to fix the problem.

Oh right, yeah I just gave NvidiaEFI a shot again because it never worked the last time.

I have;

NvidiaEFI.kext

LaptopDisplay.kext

Natit.kext (DiaboliK Dual 02)

It seems the Natit kext in-conjunction with NvidiaEFI solved the black screen problem I had before, and the colour banding is now completely gone.

Rotation is disabled though, but I'm guessing that's because NvidiaEFI was originally meant for the 10.4.8 kexts.

It has been a pleasure so far to hackintosh the Dell to bits :rolleyes:

Just a question for anyone with a 9400, do you have an LG LCD and if so are you experiencing colour banding under 32-bit?

I can't seem to get rid of mine ever since I swapped the Samsung LCD for the LG, must be something to do with the detection of the screen.

I'm using DiaboliK Natit with LaptopDisplay.kext- though I read somewhere that it was possible to force enable dithering to fix the problem.

How can I find out if I've got a Samsung or LG screen?

If you have Windows, go to Device Manager, go to Properties of your monitor, Details tab, select Hardware Ids property, if you see LPL0000 its LG, if its SEC.... its Samsung, if its SHP.... (or something like that) its Sharp.

..or you can check your Dell configuration.

LCD type doesn't have anything to do with color banding, they are all 6-bit TN panels. I used both Samsung and LG.

Oh right, yeah I just gave NvidiaEFI a shot again because it never worked the last time.

I have;

NvidiaEFI.kext

LaptopDisplay.kext

Natit.kext (DiaboliK Dual 02)

It seems the Natit kext in-conjunction with NvidiaEFI solved the black screen problem I had before, and the colour banding is now completely gone.

Rotation is disabled though, but I'm guessing that's because NvidiaEFI was originally meant for the 10.4.8 kexts.

Sweet! I've removed Titan and installed those three items, and I've got no colour banding either! Thanks Chrysaor & devilhood!

For all who are interested, I managed to get the subwoofer working on an Inspiron E1705 by messing around with the layout/Node mapping within AppleHDA.kext.  Despite my best efforts (several hours!), I am still unable to get headphone detection muting to work. I will keep playing around with this and see what I can come up with. Oddly enough, plugging headphones in DOES mute the subwoofer, although the front speakers remain active.

I have attached modified kext from 10.4.9, which should work for anyone using the latest version of the kernel. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions below to get the subwoofer working with your existing patched Apple

DA.kext:

1. Unzip Info Modded.plist.zip to the destination of your choice

2. Open a terminal window

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/

4. sudo cp [location of Info Modded.plist] Info.plist

5. Enter password

6. Reboot

After you have applied the modified kext or copied over Info.plist and rebooted, go into System Preferences, Sound, and select the second 'Internal Speakers' entry.  

Hopefully that works for everyone with an E1705 (I assume we're all using the same Sigmatel 9200 codec?) but let me know if it doesn't.

Good luck!

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Info_Modded.plist.zip

For all who are interested, I managed to get the subwoofer working on an Inspiron E1705 by messing around with the layout/Node mapping within AppleHDA.kext.  Despite my best efforts (several hours!), I am still unable to get headphone detection muting to work. I will keep playing around with this and see what I can come up with. Oddly enough, plugging headphones in DOES mute the subwoofer, although the front speakers remain active.

I have attached modified kext from 10.4.9, which should work for anyone using the latest version of the kernel. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions below to get the subwoofer working with your existing patched Apple

DA.kext:

1. Unzip Info Modded.plist.zip to the destination of your choice

2. Open a terminal window

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/

4. sudo cp [location of Info Modded.plist] Info.plist

5. Enter password

6. Reboot

After you have applied the modified kext or copied over Info.plist and rebooted, go into System Preferences, Sound, and select the second 'Internal Speakers' entry.  

Hopefully that works for everyone with an E1705 (I assume we're all using the same Sigmatel 9200 codec?) but let me know if it doesn't.

Good luck!

Thank you thank you thank you.

I finally can listen to pretty songs without having to connect a external speaker with subwoofer.

Greatwork!!!!

It mutes the sub? that is indeed very odd, maybe there is a discrepancy with how the main speakers are setup and something is still incorrect with the layout.

In any case, kudos to you for getting the sub-woofer to work, excellent stuff :)

It just keeps on getting better and better for us Dell users :P

That AppleHDA.kext didn't work at all. I don't have any sound.

Weird, I'm gonna try it out soon and see what happens, remember to replace the Info.plist, chown/chmod the kext and remove the kextcache/mkext.

I'm assuming this is the 10.4.9 modded AppleHDA kext? right tbcarey?

I did all that and it didn't work, but I used the AppleHDA.kext posted above. Now i've just restored the original kext and ran AppleHDA patch with the dump you provided (latest version of the patcher) then I replaced the Info.plist

tbcarey: Could you please send me your codec dump or post it here? Did you modify the codec dump or the Info.plist? This information could be very useful for Taruga.

BTW I'm at work at the moment so I can't check out if the sub woofer is working or not.

Good to see it's working for some of you!

The modified kext attached was the default 10.4.9 AppleHDA.kext patched with AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 and my own modified codec dump. The codec dump shouldn't have much bearing on the subwoofer working in this instance, however; it's all in the Info.plist. The modified codec dump is simply my dump from Ubuntu with some corrections (the speakers are fixed, not a jack, the connection is unknown, not 1/8", etc.) and with the pin defaults changed to match those in WRT_M2-7.INI from the latest Sigmatel driver pack available on the Dell Support site.  If your subsystem id is not 0x102801cd then it is highly probable that you would have different pin defaults, which you should attempt to match to the correct WRT_Mx-x.INI.  I'll paste my codec dump in a post to follow this one.

As regards the subwoofer being muted, I have several guesses as to why this may be the case, but I could also be completely incorrect. The speakers and headphone jack (nodes 0d and 0e) share the same pincap and are routed through the same audio selector (node 0

) whilst the subwoofer (node 11) is routed through a mono audio mixer (node 13).

It may be that the input/output mixer (node 07) is able to turn off the subwoofer since it operates indep

ndently of node 0b, but is not properly triggering the impedence detection event that would cause node 0b to mute the speakers.  Again, I could be complete

y wrong, as I have very little understanding of how the generic AppleHDA codec w

rks. Speaker muting works perfectly in Ubuntu and it is easy to observe the Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT values being changed to 0x00: in codec#0 as the headphones are plugged in; therefore, I doubt it's anything to do with the codec dump itself and more to do with an incorrect

Pathmap in AppleHDA.

On a side note, I noticed that the latest version of AppleHDAPatcher seems to remove my ability to mute the speakers. I quickly fixed that in Info.plist, so I'm re-attaching the new version which allows for muting.

Again, hope this works for more people.

Okay, here's my codec dump pasted below. Please note that all SPDIF/Digital Stereo references have been removed from the codec, as if I leave them i

, AppleHDAPatcher detects them and I am left with no audio outputs after rebooti

g. 

Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200

Address: 0

Vendor Id: 0x83847690

Subsystem Id: 0x102801cd

Revision Id: 0x102201

Default PCM:

rates [0x7e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000

bits [0xe]: 16 20 24

formats [0x1]: PCM

Default Amp-In caps: N/A

Default Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x1f, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1

Node 0x02 [Audio Output] wcaps 0xd0401: Stereo

Power: 0x0

Node 0x03 [Audio Input] wcaps 0x1d0541: Stereo

Power: 0x0

Connection: 1

0x0a

Node 0x07 [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300901: Stereo

Connection: 2

0x02* 0x0a

Node 0x0a [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x30090d: Stereo Amp-Out

Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x0f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1

Amp-Out vals: [0x80 0x80]

0x0c

Node 0x0b [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300105: Stereo Amp-Out

Amp-Out caps: N/A

Amp-Out vals: [0x1f 0x1f]

0x07

Node 0x0c [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x30010d: Stereo Amp-Out

Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x04, stepsize=0x27, mute=0

Amp-Out vals: [0x00 0x00]

Connection: 3

0x10* 0x0e 0x0d

Node 0x0d [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo

Pincap 0x083f: IN OUT HP Detect

Pin Default 0x0421121f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Front

Conn = 1/8, Color = Green

Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP

0x0b

Node 0x0e [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo

Pincap 0x083f: IN OUT HP Detect

Pin Default 0x90170310: [Fixed] Speaker at Ext Rear

Conn = Unknown, Color = Unknown

Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT

0x0b

Node 0x10 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo

Pincap 0x081737: IN OUT Detect

Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Rear

Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink

Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN

0x0b

Node 0x11 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400104: Mono Amp-Out

Amp-Out caps: N/A

Amp-Out vals: [0x00]

Pincap 0x0810: OUT

Pin Default 0x90170310: [Fixed] Speaker at Int N/A

Conn = Unknown, Color = Unknown

Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT

0x13

Node 0x13 [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x200100: Mono

0x07

Node 0x14 [beep Generator Widget] wcaps 0x70000c: Mono Amp-Out

Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x03, nsteps=0x03, stepsize=0x17, mute=1

Amp-Out vals: [0x00]

Sorry for any formatting issues with my posts, but this site does not seem to love Opera a great deal.

:plane:

Info_Modded.plist.zip