[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

tbcarey, your sub system ID is the same as mine 0x102801cd :plane: good to know.

I'll give it a whirl as soon as I can... really busy with all sorts today but looking forward to trying it.

flibble, the kext 'should' work for you because you also have the same sub system ID:

Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200

Address: 0

Vendor Id: 0x83847690

Subsystem Id: 0x102801cd

Revision Id: 0x102201

tbcarey, great find on the missing mute feature. I was wondering why the mute button didn't work.

For some reason it doesn't work with AppleHDA patcher, results in me having no audio.. If I use Devilhoods codec dump, it works fine. I've got the same chipset as devilhood.

Your codec dump is exactly the same as mine (when initially taken from Ubuntu).  I suspect the reason you will not get audio when you use it is for the same reason I mentioned it was not working for me:  AppleHDAPatcher detects SPDIF In and Out, which the 9400 does not actually support, and therefore selects the incorrect Pathmap. You might try removing all nodes with references to SPDIF or Stereo Digital (04, 05, 06, 08, 09) and then try patching again.

In any case, I've already done all that and set the correct pin defaults (Ubuntu's don't match the pin defaults from the latest Sigmatel Windows drivers), so my patched AppleHDA.kext should work for you.  Are you certain you went into System Preferences and selected the second 'Built-in speakers' as your output device?  The first device is the subwoofer, and as it is tied to the same audio output as the speakers, it won't output any sound if you select it.

Just a note: I quickly updated the guide regarding NTFS write support and also 32-bit colour banding.

I'll update the sound section with tbcarey's fix in an hour or so.

Thanks again for your effort in fixing the Sigmatel SW :plane:

Edit: I just tried your fix and SW is enabled though I had to choose the second output on my Sound configuration for it to all work properly.

The Mute button does indeed work, and the SW mutes when headphones are plugged in. Good stuff!

No probs, glad it works!

Now all we have to do is get jack impedance detection (i.e. front speaker muting) working. However, I believe that is going to be a much larger task. It will require modifying the actual Pathmap, for which we will probably need Taruga's assistance. I have played

around with the codec and Info.plist to no end trying to get it to work, but as the codec is most likely

correct (it works in Ubuntu), I believe it to be something related to the way AppleHDAPatcher constructs the Pathmap.

It is easy enough to create a reference in Info.plist to the Headphones output device (node 0d) but this device actually just outputs to the speakers anyway, which indicates that there is something incorrectly configured. It would be nice if someone knew what the proper 'method' was for jack

impedance detection in OS X, as in Ubuntu it seems to be a part of ALSA and in Windows it is accomplished by the STSysTray tray application, which

polls the nodes on a regular basis to determine jack impedance. If we could figure out how this is accomplished for other devices in OS X, we'd be a

step closer towards making it work for Sigmatel 9200. Secondly, we need someone who understands AppleHDAPatcher well enough (Taruga) to know

how it selects Pathmaps. Info.plist seems to indicate that Layoutid 12 and Pathmap 1 are used, but neither seems to match the auto-generated

Info.plist, and furthermore, when I intentionally incorrectly modify nodes in the codec to see what happens when I patch with AppleHDAPatcher, I

achieve the same result as without any modification to the codec -- which seems to point towards AppleHDAPatcher having a pre-configured Pathmap

for STAC9200 that can only be modified by some other means. I am really just guessing here from what I've seen, since as I mention, I have no

intimate knowledge of AppleHDAPatcher other than what I can find by digging around through the Resources folder.

Edit: I just tried your fix and SW is enabled though I had to choose the second output on my Sound configuration for it to all work properly.

Yep, first output is the subwoofer itself and it shares the same audio output device (node 02) as the speakers, so selecting that output won't result in

any sound. OS X seems to support only one instance of an output node, and favours whichever comes last in Info.plist.

the subwoofer works nice, but i cant control the volume of him, like in windows... and if I connect the headphone I lost the subwoofersignal 'till I pull it out.

but many thanks for finding the trick

now we need only stable 2-cores-support and my machine beat a MBP :thumbsdown_anim:

the hibernate/standby works very well with ToH 8.9.1 kernel from irc

the subwoofer works nice, but i cant control the volume of him, like in windows... and if I connect the headphone I lost the subwoofersignal 'till I pull it out.

but many thanks for finding the trick

now we need only stable 2-cores-support and my machine beat a MBP :D

the hibernate/standby works very well with ToH 8.9.1 kernel from irc

It didn't work for me. My screen goes black and the power light stays on. Laptop doesn't go to sleep. It's a 9400 like yours. What ISO did you install of OSX and how did you update to 10.4.9?

by the way, have any of you got the microphone input working on the 9200 card yet?

i was originally using a external soundblaster card, however, after patching the subwoofer, the external one stopped working, but it's still great to have the subwoofer working, just in case any one happen to know how to get the onboard mic jack working it'll be even greater.

thanks.

It didn't work for me. My screen goes black and the power light stays on. Laptop doesn't go to sleep. It's a 9400 like yours. What ISO did you install of OSX and how did you update to 10.4.9?

I use the last JAS 10.4.8 Iso and after that i install the JAS 10.4.9 update and the smb afp... patch

than I install the Diabolik dual natit and copy the kext for ethernet and edit the networking.plist for my wlan adapter.

than reboot, and install the applehda.kext with modded plist. reboot

than copy the mach_kernel from paulicat (works for me quite well)

Darwin cryomobil.local 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Wed Apr 18 21:20:01 EDT 2007; paulicat:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

and reboot again with -v -f cpus=1

than reboot again with -v cpus=2 and after loginwindow go to hibernate mode, which should works. and than wake up and have 2 cores support...

the 2core-support i found yesterday out with paulicats kernel. and now i have xbench results of 140-146 :) :)

Cyonix, I really don't understand how you managed to solve the colour banding issues with just using DiaboliK's Natit.

If I use that by itself the colour banding is clearly visable, and the only way to fix it is by using Natit in-conjunction with NvidiaEFI and LaptopDisplay.kext.

Are you 100% sure you have no colour banding. It HAS to be a difference with the screen if people are getting varying results, no other way.

It's not the kernel flibble, it's the ACPI kexts that JaS was talking about. I'll test out the related kexts and see what happens.

Have you got MSN btw? pm me if you do.

Yeah I know, ALCinject is part of the patcher, very important.

I haven't been on MSN much today, but now that I'm back at the computer I'll add you.

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

GREAT NEWS for those who are using the AppleHDA.kext from tbcarey.

I managed to get the mic jack work this afternoon.

I attached the modified kext file here, simply drag the original one to trash and the drag the new one in to /system/library/extensions, authentate with your password, and then repair disk permissions.

After rebooting, you will have the mic input through the black jack whole on the right side of the laptop.

Still you may not be able to hear it from the speakers, but you may prove its working through recording something or through calling someone on msn or skype.

thanks to the inspiriation of Taruga

AppleHDA.kext.zip

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

GREAT NEWS for those who are using the AppleHDA.kext from tbcarey.

I managed to get the mic jack work this afternoon.

I attached the modified kext file here, simply drag the original one to trash and the drag the new one in to /system/library/extensions, authentate with your password, and then repair disk permissions.

After rebooting, you will have the mic input through the black jack whole on the right side of the laptop.

Still you may not be able to hear it from the speakers, but you may prove its working through recording something or through calling someone on msn or skype.

thanks to the inspiriation of Taruga

Great work, SJ1069! Xiexie! I'll give this a try.

yes, mic is working, but know, i cant play anything in Garageband. Itunes and iMovie HD are working normal, but no sound from Garageband.

You need to change the output device in /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup

You need to change the output device in /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup

I have try to set to second audio driver in GarageBand but it don´t want to chose that.I have try Audio Midi setup,but that did not help.