[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

fpppp and the rest: come to irc channel #appleacpi on the irc.osx86.hu network and you'll be able to try it out too :P

Does it work? I've not got an OSX partition right now, but if this works then I may just install it again :)

tested the kernel on my Dell E1505 1.67ghz core duo-- still some stuttering with both cores enabled, and kernel panics at startup. When I revert back to a single core I still get occasional core panics but most of the time am able to boot into the OS. Still can't seem to make my E1505 sleep...

I can not find the kernel info. in irc channel #appleacpi. :)

The download link for the package is in the channel's Topic title, look carefully.

btw I updated my dual-boot guide for people that had re-occuring HFS+ errors even after following all the steps.

Hi devil,

Did u got sleep to work right?!... i can sleep but not wake, computer dies!!!

I think the problem is some kexts, do u know what kext to manage?!

PS: does kext from pasys package need to loaded to sleep/wake work or only need to do speedstep to cpu?!..

regards,

You need to manual kextload the kext from prasys' package, but it is only related to SpeedStep, allowing it to work properly.

The entire package 'should' effectively help all Power Management issues, whether it's Sleep/Wake, 2nd core stutter etc. but it is still BETA so give it some time to be perfected.

I haven't tried the very latest package yet so I can't confirm any sleep success, but the old one didn't help sleep at all, I think the sleep issue is purely related to the new kexts in 10.4.9 though.

I will give the new package a go this evening and see what happens.

full0ut, have you tried hitting the power button to come out of sleep?

Yeap, didnt work!!

System.log doesnt log anything usefull.

Also tested all kernel build dates, and no go!!!

Yeah, i have pretty sure that 10.4.9 kexts are the problem, we are facing!!!..

I think will install 10.4.8 in a usb drive and search for diferents kext from 10.4.9.

I tried all the new Kernels (Kiko, netkas, Prasys including the speedstep kext).

No kernel is working with 2 CPUs and sleep, so I'm still running the netkas kernel (fixed fsb) from JaS 10.4.9 combo update with AppleIntelCPU kext.

I have NOT installed the Apple update, so sleep works fine and after wakeup both cores are working.

I tried all the new Kernels (Kiko, netkas, Prasys including the speedstep kext).

No kernel is working with 2 CPUs and sleep, so I'm still running the netkas kernel (fixed fsb) from JaS 10.4.9 combo update with AppleIntelCPU kext.

I have NOT installed the Apple update, so sleep works fine and after wakeup both cores are working.

It's safe to upgrade kernel from the #1049 channel, which adds SpeedStep support, fixes a few problems with incorrect Auto FSB and is also Auto HPET.

I highly recommend that anyone using 10.4.9 does this.

Yeah, Apple update is the one that borks sleep because JaS keeps a lot of kexts from 10.4.8, but I haven't got a clue what JaS' update keeps apart from the Nvidia kexts.

Did anybody tried the tool dycpu ? www.darccopper.com/apps-dycpu.html

It disables one core (for temperature reasons) and activates the other on demand. It requires the CHUD Utilities, where a programm for CPU tweaking is included.

If i install it, I'm able to boot with both cores and there is no stutter. After some time (4-5 min) it freezes my system.

P.S. sleep works with my system only with power supply. On battery the sleep lasts only 1-2 seconds, the MacOS comes up again.

Stephan, are you using GMA950 graphics or ATI? I can't seem to wake up from sleep with my system at all with the GMA950. It goes to sleep fine, but I would love to be able to wake it up to use both cores! Currently I am using Netkas' 10.4.9 SSE3 IRC #1049 kernel with the JaS combo update to 10.4.9, but the kernel discussed here (IRC #appleacpi) didn't seem to make much difference.

Dell E1505 1.67ghz Core Duo, 1gb 533mhz RAM, Intel GMA950 gfx, Dell 1490 wireless

Dell 9400, Nvidia9700gs, Core2Duo 1,86Ghz, Dell1390 Wireless, 1920x1200 with Titan

I will update my Sig :(

Ah, seems to be problems with the GMA950 in addition to the Dell bios issues. Sorry - didn't see your sig down there! Thanks for the reply-

is it possible to have access to irc.osx86.hu in china? i tried the whole day and got the feedback as "Die Domain "irc.osx86.hu" ist nicht verf?bar." Even with a proxy from Turkey i still get that information. ???

Hi

I have the E1705 with Intel GMA950 gfx with the 17 WUXGA Glossy LCD - resolution works fine at 1920x1200 and photos looks great at this resolution but a little small for working long hours on this desktop and my next options in system preference are :

1600x1200 which do not change anything except giving me 2 black bars on left and right and then the next one after that is 1344x840 which works but looks a liitle fuzzy and blurry. I would love to have something in between from 1920x1200 and 1344x840 like 1440x1050 or even 1600x1050

Is it possible to add this resolutions to some kext and it will force the display into this mode, I tried to do this in apple.com.Boot.plist but it does not seem to work, it defaults to whatever the display setting is in System Preference.

Thanks again Devilhood for this great guide - and thanks to all the people working on bring OSX86 to our Dells. I tested some of the newer kernels and also having some wake problems after sleeping for a while. Core Duo seem to improve performance quite a bit but the stuttering is noticeable, especially with video and sound. Boost my Geekbench score from 1881 (1 core) to 2533 (2 cores) and I tested converting Video files from DVD to AppleTV using VisualHub - converting Mpeg4 a lot faster on 2 cores, but to play it back without stuttering I need to reboot with just one core and playback is fine so the stuttering does not seem to affect the actual conversion of the files.

So we are so close, I can only hope that this will be fix soon then we can really have the full power that this laptop have to offer with the power of 2 cores & OSX.

/System/Library/Extensions/ <- drop it in there :whistle:

You will need to manual kextload, not sure how the kext was designed for 10.4.8, but if you're on 10.4.9 you should check out the package in #acpi on the irc.osx86.hu network.