[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

well the only thing i have changed in the new kext was the "mic" nodeid in the info.plist.

the originally patched nodeid was 15, which according to the sig9200 codec should not be the mic jac, and the 0x10 should be the mic jac.

the codec

"Node 0x10 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo

Pincap 0x081737: IN OUT

Pin Default 0x04a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Right

Conn = 1/8, Color = Black

Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN

Connection: 1

0x0b"

the other thing

i tried this morininng, and i was able to record through audiohijackpro, and also through imovie.

both gave me sounds.

then i assume it might be something paticular about the garageband thing.

regards.

this has alraedy been asked (probably), but with the broadcom files and kext from the zip on the first page, what do I do to install the kext and ethernet?

thanks!

drag the kext file to /system/library/extensions, to replace the original one by selecting authentate when being asked.

then repair disk permission.

reboot

done

Has anyone managed to get the STAC9200 Speakers to mute when you plug something into the headphone jack?

Also is there card reader support yet?

I have an e1505 with the T7200 if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

i'm using Dell E1405 with OS X 10.4.9

what's the best way to turn the sound off completely?

I used the applehdapatcher to enable my Sigmatel, got the sound working but mute button doesn't mute and turning the sound all the way to the lowest level doesn't mute it.

EDIT: yea, just saw the post above mine...i just want the sound to be off regardless of whether the headphone is plugged in or not.

EDIT: Fixed the problem, seems it was workign all along, OSX just doesnt put it in the System Preferences -> Network menu.

Can anyone help me with an ethernet problem?

I recently upgraded to 10.4.9, and I cannot get OSX to recognize my ethernet adapter. I used the IONetworkingFamily file from the 1st post, but it still refuses to find it, only my wireless card is recognized. Ethernet works in ubuntu, so I know its not dead or anything, and it was working fine in 10.4.8. Is there a different IONetworking file needed for 10.4.9?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have an e1505 w/ a T7200 if it matters any.

what's the best way to turn the sound off completely?

I used the applehdapatcher to enable my Sigmatel, got the sound working but mute button doesn't mute and turning the sound all the way to the lowest level doesn't mute it.

EDIT: yea, just saw the post above mine...i just want the sound to be off regardless of whether the headphone is plugged in or not.

Using the Info.plist I posted will fix the mute issue.  See a page or two back.

thanks for the heads up, I will try it after I get my wifi card working.

just went and ordered myself a Dell 1490 to replace my Intel 3945. Now that I have it, what do I do? I plugged it in, but I don't see it in System Pref / Network.

Vista recognized it as soon as I boot into it. Is OS X supposed to work the same way?

Is the Dell 1490 a BCM4312 or BCM4310? I'll try them both with the switch trick.

When you go into network settings for the first time after reboot you should get a message - Airport Detected and it will configure itself. I did the exact same thing, swapping out Intel 3945 with Dell 1490, but I did a clean install after I did that, but I don't think that should matter since the 3945 never worked.

Well what I did was to disable the wireless - install JAS 10.4.8 and do the network.plist swap from 10.4.6 to make my ethernet work, once that was working and enable wifi in Bios - reboot and into network settings and it detects. I had to do it this way otherwise I ran into out of memory problems in Itunes when it tries to authorize my machine.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I did a clean install. During first start after install it asked for WPA2 key for my network (good sign). Then, when OS X starts, I have internet connection, however, in Network, after checking the MAC address, my wireless card (Dell 1490) is listed as Built-in Ethernet and I cannot configure Airport settings.

I accidentally hit Fn+F2 (on my machine it turns off bluetooth and wifi) and the light (for wifi and BT) goes out. I hit Fn+F2 again, but wifi light DOESN'T come back on. Now, in System Profiler, Airport card is listed but it's turned off, even after I boot into Vista, which turns the light back on.

I did the Broadcom 440 fix and now I'm back to using LAN instead of WLAN.

Using the Info.plist I posted will fix the mute issue.  See a page or two back.

I replaced Info.plist with your Info Modded.plist, did not fix the mute issue. I do have the Sigmatel 9200 and I originally used AppleHDAPatcher to fix the sound issue

In response to my own problem, I ended doing a clean install, but that didn't get the Dell 1490 to work "completely". OS X recogized it as a built-in ethernet. I did the switch trick mentioned in another post and changed en0 to en1 AND change the value for IOInterfaceUnit from "0" to "1". That was something that wasn't mentioned or maybe I had missed it. Got Airport to work after reboot and going into Network Preferences > Network Port Configuration. Hopefully now I'll be able to use T-Mobile hotspot account that I had paid for.

EDIT: Ok, 8 hours and 4 installations later...here's what I've found out. With a clean install of JaS 10.4.8 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 & PPF2 on a Dell Inspiron E1405 with a Dell 1490 Wifi card, it's best to turn off the Wifi card in bios first. After install, update to JaS 10.4.9 Combo update. Then I did the following,

- Broadcomm 440 fix

- AppleHDAPatcher

- APF and SMB fix

Then, I turn wifi on in BIOS. Go into Network Preferences, 1490 card is recognized as Airport. If I had left the wifi on during installation, it'd recognized as Built-in Ethernet and the Broadcomm 440 would be something else.

Ok, so after everything was installed, I tried to update via Apple -> Software Update, turns out either the Airport Extreme update or the Security Update is messing up Airport, because after I installed those and reboot, Airport is no more.

Has anyone successfully updated either of those?

I have fully updated Airport and my Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n still works perfectly, infact, it has an even stronger reception picking up the Router than my gf's Macbook Pro. I didn't have to do the switch trick either, but that could be because I already did the Broadcom kext fix before installing the new Wireless card.

The fact that the Dell Wireless 1500 cards are the same Broadcom BCM94321MC chips used in new Macbook Pro's means that compatibility isn't an issue.

The Dell Wireless 1390 and 1490 aren't natively used in Mac's like the 1500, which is why the Airport updates prevented your card from functioning afterwards.

ok, i recently used uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install dvd v1.2 to install osx with the Intel SSE3(26 March 2007) and have tried installing the nvidia drivers to use my 7900 GS Go but no matter what i use i have a big problem with the mouse moving very very slow. i first move than mouse than wait for a second or two and it moves to the place that i was trying to move to but it makes everything im trying to do nearly impossible is there anything i can install to fix this? my specs are

Dell e1705

Intel Core2Duo T7400

2GB Dual Channel Ram

nVidia Geforce 7900GS Go

120 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

17" Ultrasharp Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200)

thanks ;)

You need to add cpus=1 to the boot.plist or disable multi-core in BIOS.

Read the very first part of the guide :pirate2:

Also, make sure you install the latest kernel after you get your Mac running smoothly.

Devilhood,

I see in one of your earlier post you mentioned that you installed the Dell 802.11n Draft MiniCard - how is this working for you, can you enable all the security types on it, and it does detect as airport right ?

I want to upgrade from Dell 1390 so that it will work with my Apple Extreme Draft N Router so that I can get better speeds.

Thanks

My Wireless info from Sys Profiler--

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x9)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1)

Current Wireless Network: DeViLZoNe

Wireless Channel: 2

I'm not actually able to fully test the Draft N capabilities though, because my router is only a/b/g compatible. All Airport related Apple updates have been applied and the card is working perfectly.

Where can I check the security types?

thanks devilhood that really helped i didnt think that that was what would fix it but now it works perfectly (besides a couple fo things)

and jaco yes u can enable all security types im using WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) right now and it seems to have 270Mbps on my Netgear WNR834B Draft N Router

thanks devilhood that really helped i didnt think that that was what would fix it but now it works perfectly (besides a couple fo things)

and jaco yes u can enable all security types im using WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) right now and it seems to have 270Mbps on my Netgear WNR834B Draft N Router

No probs!

Glad to know the Draft N capabilities and security types are working fine, looking forward to upgrading my router in a months time :)

@devilhood, since the Airport Extreme update will disable my 1490 (and have on previous installations), can I assume that the security update won't affect my Airport?

Has anyone update to the latest security update and still have a working 1490?

I have Dell 1390 WLAN card and have no problems doing any AirPort updates. Using WPA2 (AES) on DD-WRT flashed WRT54G.

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x7)
 Wireless Card Locale:	USA
 Wireless Card Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1)