[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I just received MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz and starting to explore this whole mac on intel phenomenon. I'm wondering, if i'm able to install the OSX onto my Dell Inspiron E1705(NVidia 7800 go) and do all of these fixes mention on this post, will my laptop be capable of running final cut pro on it? I love pc and the only reason why i would ever want a mac is so i'm able to use final cut pro...

i have bought me a soundblaster live 24bit usb and try it to install with the soundblaster package avaible in jas osx reseed dvd. after that i have problems to boot my osx, cause i have many errors about usb kexts...

than i delete the iousb kext and the system boots up, but without usb support :( i tried to combinate the 10.4.6 kext with the 10.4.8 one, but no success.

now i install the old 10.4.6 jas release and it works! but after i tried to install titan kext (after i copied the nv* kext from the 10.4.8) the os doesnt work again.

is there a possibility to work with the last release (10.4.8 with the last kernel from semthex [8.8.1 or nebukadnezar]) and use the soundblaster soundcard?

i hope, we can write a new tutorial for this wonderful laptop, with all kexts and explanations, which exsists.

i work in a video production company, where all people work with macs and i want show them that a mac is non special and that i can run all things (FCP, motion, videoencoding, ...) on my laptop

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I just finished installing JAS 10.4.8 on my E1705 (specs below). When booting, it can get past the white booting screen, but then immediately goes black. I can still use the function up / down keys to dim or brighten the screen, so I know it hasn't crashed. I think its a problem with the Radeon x1400 mobility (maybe the resolution).

Also, I can't get to the advanced startup (using F8). It doesn't give me the option to.

Any ideas?

Dell e1705

Core Duo T2500 (used 1 during install, havent enabled the second)

2 GB DDR2 Ram

Radeon X1400

100 GB Hard Drive (50 Vista / 50 Mac)

Thanks.

Edited by allh0pelost

we were trying to install on an external usb HDD. when that failed, we tried installing it on the laptop's internal HDD to no avail. we installed using the jas intel package, radeon x1000pcie support, and titan radeon x1000 support. we also tried the laptop power management on one attempt. we plugged the usb drive into another PC running osx86 and edited the com.apple.boot.plist to include -v. here's a screenshot of boot up using verbose logging. this was taken right before it crashes.

post-74776-1168888637_thumb.jpg

thanks for the help!

Edited by allh0pelost

I update the guide slightly, cleared up a few out-of-date statements, added information on how to hide the mach_kernel and how to install Titan.

I also added a link to the latest A06 BIOS from Dell and linked to my new dual-booting guide that I posted recently.

we were trying to install on an external usb HDD. when that failed, we tried installing it on the laptop's internal HDD to no avail. we installed using the jas intel package, radeon x1000pcie support, and titan radeon x1000 support. we also tried the laptop power management on one attempt. we plugged the usb drive into another PC running osx86 and edited the com.apple.boot.plist to include -v. here's a screenshot of boot up using verbose logging. this was taken right before it crashes.

post-74776-1168888637_thumb.jpg

thanks for the help!

You will need to get rid of Titan as it will not work for your X1400.

Try Natit:

http://www.installers.dl.am/

Also, read through these threads:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry247328

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry130125

devilHood -

I have an Inspiron 9400 with the nVidia GO 7800 and the giant, 17" ultra bright screen with true-life (or whatever they call it). Essentially, it looks like I have the same machine you do!!

I have installed a 10.4.5 dvd to an external hard drive, and it works quite well (usb, wireless, and ethernet working). I used the MacVidia driver installer on that installation, which allowed me to bump up the resolution on the screen to 1920x1200 and that is nice, but QE/CI does not work.

On a different partition on the usb external drive, I installed the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 DVD to which I had first applied ppf1. That DVD gave me options of what to install, so I chose the Intel specific kexts, the 'most common hardware' kexts, and the 'titan' kexts.

The install went okay, and it works, but I have a peculiar problem: The laptop's screen does not get recognized. That is, I can successfully boot to the 10.4.8 install. I have even been able to copy the networking kexts over and get that working successfully. USB works and so does wireless. BUT - 3 out of 5 times, when I boot I get the black screen. other times when it does boot, I get video on screen, and it looks great (with QE/CI working) but it is either SIDEWAYS or UPSIDE DOWN!! It is the weirdest thing! It is driving me nuts.

When I go to the system profiler, OSX recognizes the video card, calling it out as the NVidia GeForce GO 7800, but under 'Display' it says 'no display connected' and under Color LCD it says Resolution 1200x1920!!

So I guess my questions to you are:

1) What install did you use on your machine? Did you start with a 10.4.6 install and then upgrade it to 10.4.8? Or did you start from scratch with Jas's latest DVD?

2) Any idea at all how to make my LCD screen quit showing up sideways, upside down or not at all?

3) Can Titan be installed on my working 10.4.5 setup? I thought it was only for 10.4.8 kernels.

4) Any chance I could somehow get an image of your setup? (heh heh - worth asking!)

Oooh! as I typed this message on my desktop, I was lucky enough to boot it up and get the screen to display right-side up!! It only does that one out of ten boots! Whoo hoo! Maybe I should just never reboot ever again. . . .

Many thanks!

I personally installed fresh from the JaS 10.4.8 v1p iso.

Titan and Natit can be a bit weird like that, the reversed screen resolution has happened to a few users, most of them have solved the issue by using a Mac program called DisplayConfigX, so I suggest giving that a go.

If you want info on how to get your laptop screen recognized properly, you can check out this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=287902 which has a guy called np_ working on this issue.

I feel that I should reply to my own post to let everyone know what I learned, even though it is a bit embarrassing :D

First off, devilhood, thanks for the reply regarding your installation method. That helped me to eliminate a lot a variables.

Using that information, I carefully went through the installation using 1) an installation DVD of unknown origin that installs 10.4.5 and 2) the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 installation DVD.

First, I downloaded the PPF file that updates the JaS 10.4.8 image (ppf 1) from Demonoid. I applied that ppf to the 10.4.8 image, then burned the DVD.

Next, I booted my laptop using the 10.4.5 DVD (I did this because I read elsewhere that maybe the Diskutilty included with JaS's DVD may be corrupt. (I don't think it is corrupt after one applies the PPF, but whatever.)

I used the 10.4.5 diskutility from the intallation DVD to create 3 partitions on my USB 2.0 removeable hard drive: 2 of them I made into "MacOS Extended (journaled)" partitions, and one I made into a FAT32 partition. All three of the partitions were left at 'PC file system' under options.

Then I restarted (without installing 10.4.5) and booted up using the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Here's the embarrassing part:

I had installed maybe a dozen times before and kept having the aforementioned display problems. This time, I noticed that those little tiny triangles next to the installation options (for example, the one next to 'Support for most common hardware') could be clicked on to reveal the individual choices under that heading!!! I didn't know that!! I attribute that to having never had a Mac - I just thought it was a 'bullet' or placeholder. I did not know you could click on it to reveal the choices underneath it! I admit this only in hopes that it may help some other poor soul out there.

Well, once I figured that out, I was thrilled! I UNCHECKED every video related kext EXCEPT the nVidia drivers and Titan. I basically made certain that the JaS DVD was only installing support for the hardware in my machine. I let it go through the install and BOOM when it rebooted, I had a screen with QE/CI supported!! (but the real joy was that the screen was 'right side up', that is, it was correct! It seems that if one does not 'uncheck' the drivers for ALL those other video cards then the install kinda freaks out our Inspiron 9400.

So - next I had to fix networking.

The link in the devilhood guide to the 10.4.6 IONetworkingFamily.kext no longer points to a place where I could d/l that kext. So I installed that 10.4.5 DVD that I mentioned previously onto the second Mac partition that I created. While its video was nice (at 1920x1200), it did not have the QE/CI support. What that install DID have was a working ethernet (Broadcom 440x) AND WIRELESS (Dell 1390 found as an Airport Card) setup.

Note that since I installed these two versions on an external USB drive, all I had to do in order to switch between them is to reboot, hit F12 during the post, and then choose 'USB device'. Then Darwin would start up and give me 10 seconds to press any button for boot options - after I did that, Darwin would give me the choice of booting to my 10.4.8 install or my 10.4.5 install (I actually named the partitions after the version they were going to hold).

So I rebooted into 10.4.8, from there I could 'see' the drive that had my 10.4.5 install, and I copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext, the IO80211Family.Kext and the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder on 10.4.5 to the same folder on 10.4.8. It required, of course, authentication to overwrite. Then, since I am a newbie (and an average typer at best), I used the handy little script described here: Permissions Script

and repaired the permissions.

Then, since my IONetworkingFamily.kext came from a 10.4.5 install, I had to do the 'en0 - en1 swap' trick:

To elaborate on that, for the newbies such as myself, I:

1) Using the finder, I copied the file: "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist" to the desktop. I copied it there because otherwise I could not edit it using textedit. Next,

2) I opened it with textedit, and "cut" everything from about line #7 and ending at about line #26 (starting with <dict> and ending with </dict>

3) Now in the file I was editing, I found a line <string>en1</string>, which I changed to <string>en0</string>. I also changed the number 1 to 0 in the line under <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

4) Then, I found the "</dict> line on about line 26 of the file and PASTED that which I had CUT earlier.

5) I changed its "en0" to "en1", and I changed its Integer from 0 to 1 under "IOInterfaceUnit".

Then I ran that handy permissions script again, and rebooted.

I had to run the network configuration thing from 'System Preferences' after reboot, but as soon as I went to start it up, it put up a window to tell me that it had found a new Airport Device, and told me to configure it. Whoo Hoo! Dell 1390 (aka Broadcom 4311 aka 14e4,4311) was now working!

Lastly, having read devilhood's post regarding the breakthrough with the STAC 9200 sound, I went and downloaded the AppleHDAPatcher from Thank you SO much, Taruga!

and I downloaded a STAC9200 dump from here: STAC 9200 Dump Repository (Thank you SN8K!!)(I just used the one entitled Stac9200.txt, since I didn't know about all the other dumps there.)

And so now I have Mac OSX v10.4.8 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 with a 17" screen and a GeForce GO 7800 with working wireless and sound. How cool!! Now then, bittorrent, here I come! Let's see what I can do with this thing!!

Thanks to this community for all the help it provides. This proved to be an incredibly fun challenge (and I do mean challenge)! I ended up tooling around in linux for the first time ever as a result of this project, and never would have guessed that OSX (seemingly) is so closely related to linux.

Hope this helps some newbie out there.

Craigolio

Great post craigolio,

Funny how much we all have to go through to get the Mac working on our systems :thumbsup_anim:

However, the Broadcom 440x Ethernet link I posted is still valid and does infact contain the correct kext.

Edited by devilhood

Ok, I've just re-installed Mac OS X using latest Semthex kernel dual-booting with Vista.

It was a fairly easy process, making sure I had all the relevant kext replacements and stuff on a CD.

I decided to give NvidiaEFI a go instead of Titan and it is working flawlessly detecting my Display fine :2cents:

The only things not working yet are Intel Wireless and sleep mode, though the PowerManagement bundle seems to be working fine.

Edited by devilhood

Hello everybody,

Few days ago i realized that my HD MacOs partition on my 9400 is making noises (like when a Hard Disk is old )...I decided to format that partition and make it NTFS to test it with Win XP...still make noises!!. The weird thing is that only this partition make noise...the other one does not.

Is there any posibility that MacOS damaged this partition?

Regards

I can't actually see how a drive could be physically damaged in this case, as something like this would not be restricted to a specific hardware setup.

I heard something odd whilst it was installing Mac OS X though, as it kept doing this randomly loud click sound during heavy disk activity every now and then.

The problem seems to have diminished slightly, though I am uncertain as to whether or not it is exactly a problem.

S.M.A.R.T. Status seems to verify fine.

Sorry I couldn't offer any more information.

Edited by devilhood

I just updated my guide to include categories so that browsing is easier. NvidiaEFI is now the example chosen for enabling QE/CI as it is the most compatible driver available. I included a recommendation to use the DaemonES kernel instead of Semthex's and also noted on how to install AppleHDA.