[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Hi,

I know there are some laptop -t60- users whom make their x1400 works with a highest resolution than 1024x768 or 1152x864(with boot.plist solution), my question is: Does anybody with a Dell 9400 with x1400 17" lcd display has obtained more than 1024x768 or 1152x864 in the built-in display?

Regards

I have the same problem. I can force my resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768. Anything higher that I set in Boot.plist will default to 1024x768.

Dell E1705, x1400

~nordicskiah

hey guys. im using the 10.4.8 jas repack. i can install everything ok, but when i tell my 9400 inspiron to start from the USB drive, only the cursor appears. when i start up off the cd and try and specify a startup disc, the usb doesnt come up. its only comes up when i have the option to install. ive checked the info in the disk utility and it says its bootable. is there something i am missing? how can i get the usb volume to work as a startup volume? ive tried a couple different partition types as well. Can i still use the usb from the boot CD? i thought i might have read something about -s (single user mode). what are the commands to boot? can i make changes from terminal AFTER i boot into the macosx setup? thanks!

Edited by billyjee

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks. I have used this guide and it's many different links to get OSX 10.4.8 dual booting with XP on my 9400. All pretty easy in the end.

Only things that aren't working are

SD Card reader,

some of the front buttons (volume and mute work)

3945 wireless

and I'm only running single core.

Otherwise it is all running sweet. I'll be keeping an eye on the appropriate threads for the above mentioned items, especially the wireless one.

Just a couple of questions..

Is there a way to get the touch pad scrollbars working?

and how do I setup the time to work without setting the hardware clock to GMT. It's messing with my windows clock...

Anyway,

Thanks again

I got my ethernet working, and I could access the internet fine. I booted up today and couldn't get the internet to work anymore. It says that my connection "is be manually managed and may not work." However, I am using DHCP so I'm not sure why it is saying this. When I look at the settings it shows an IP address (although it doesn't look like the one I usually get or the one I get when I boot in windows). When I boot in windows it works fine so it isn't a network issue.

Has anyone else experienced this, or atleast have any troubleshooting ideas?

Yes, this happens to me when I restart from windows, if I shut down the computer after I'm done in windows then restart it, it works fine everytime. Weird but for some reason windows keeps control (I think) of the ethernet card if you restart from it.

I found a way to fix the screen stretching on the Atix1400 (and pretty much any screen stretching) on Dell Laptop's.. it runs at 1400 x 1050 res in 4:3 mode so theres black bars on the sides but hey it's not stretched so its ok til the smart folks find a solution to the res prob smile.gif. ANYWAYS on to my solution...

Load up the bios when u boot up the Laptop and in the menu go down to Video, then go to lcd expansion and shut it off. and thats it smile.gif, it will stop stretching all the images to fit the screen now. your res on windows will be the same but if you used a lower res the the max in windows it will be smaller. I use 1680 x 1050 as my res in windows so it fills the whole screen.

it doesnt auto res so you obviously have to do the force res thing in the boot.plist

i also have a question, since i have a Dell e1505, i have the x1400 on here and along with that i have the Gm945 laying dormant on the mother board. i wanted to know, is it was possible to use the Integrated Gfx instead of the x1400 Card ?

Edited by Dedtime

I found a way to fix the screen stretching on the Atix1400 (and pretty much any screen stretching) on Dell Laptop's.. it runs at 1400 x 1050 res in 4:3 mode so theres black bars on the sides but hey it's not stretched so its ok til the smart folks find a solution to the res prob smile.gif. ANYWAYS on to my solution...

Load up the bios when u boot up the Laptop and in the menu go down to Video, then go to lcd expansion and shut it off. and thats it smile.gif, it will stop stretching all the images to fit the screen now. your res on windows will be the same but if you used a lower res the the max in windows it will be smaller. I use 1680 x 1050 as my res in windows so it fills the whole screen.

it doesnt auto res so you obviously have to do the force res thing in the boot.plist

i also have a question, since i have a Dell e1505, i have the x1400 on here and along with that i have the Gm945 laying dormant on the mother board. i wanted to know, is it was possible to use the Integrated Gfx instead of the x1400 Card ?

Dedtime,

I don't think it is possible, as I once contacted Dell customer support with that very questions and the answer they gave was, "If you take out the upgraded video chip, the motherboard wil then use the intergrated one." However, I know some manufactures do have that capacity (Sony, I think). So, my guess is that Dell's can't because of the BIOS, but I would be happy to be proved wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated the guide with minor information regarding 10.4.9 as well as a whole new section for those wanting to customize their System Profiler page.

Check out the attachment to see what I mean :censored2:

Enjoy,

Pawel.

post-4484-1175108457_thumb.png

Allright, got 10.4.8 working, but still no sound.

Downloaded applehdapatcher 1.15 und the file from post 142, but when i drop and drag the file on the icon, the screen gets somekind of "darker" and in the middle of the screen it says "you need to restart your computer. press.....".

After restarting, its just like nothing happend.. what did i wrong?

Allright, got 10.4.8 working, but still no sound.

Downloaded applehdapatcher 1.15 und the file from post 142, but when i drop and drag the file on the icon, the screen gets somekind of "darker" and in the middle of the screen it says "you need to restart your computer. press.....".

After restarting, its just like nothing happend.. what did i wrong?

Replace your kernel with the DaemonES one.

I updated the guide on how to do this :thumbsup_anim:

Hello everyone.I have updated new Jas 10.4.9 pack.Now i have kernel version 8.9.1.this kernel support Sleep mode,but now i get stuttering sound,and system is slower.But those who whant sleep mode,can update to kernel 8.9.1:)

Sound works fine on 8.9.1 for me, but sleep mode does not activate when I close the lid.

If I hit the power button to force it, the laptop internal screen goes blank but it does not actually power down anything *shrugs*

Sound works fine on 8.9.1 for me, but sleep mode isn't working by default.

Which NVidia driver do you use?I use Titan.kext,maybe you use NvidiaEFI driver that cause problem with sleep mode.

Sound is working fine,but stuttering sometime.

mmm... msh - what Video card do you have and what laptop, I have the E1705 with the integrated 945 videocard - upgraded to new kernel but sleep does not work! Anybody else got this working?? Maybe I did something wrong.