[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

The Great Deceiver and Sonotone, I tried removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and no dice... still getting the awful performance in the benchmarks. Any other ideas? All I can think of is maybe my hardware is going bad and I should run a benchmark in Windows but... that seems unlikely.

Thanks,

Demonhawk

EDIT: I fixed it... I had speedstep disabled in my BIOS which instead of keeping CPU at maximum multiplier, it reduces it to half... go figure.

Thanks for all the help, 99.8% real macbook now! woot :P

Just wanted to thank all who took part in creating this topic. I currently own a E1705 with iPC osx86 10.5.6 installed on it, and it is running beautifully. Even my SD card reader is working with help of the post installer. This machine has the dreaded ATI X1400 in it and even that is working. Still has a very small amount of screen tearing but it's barely noticable. I recommend one of the following install disks as these were the ones that worked best for me: Kalyway's 10.5.2, iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4, or iPC osx86 10.5.6. Thanks all!

Could you possibly list your installation choices for iPC 10.5.6 here? I'm making some bad choice somewhere, and either getting a hang loop searching for root (AppleACPIPCI error), or my keyboard won't work, depending on my installation choices. Thanks.

I'm installed iATKOS 10.5.5 and GMA950 drivers from Sonotone's pathces.

Mouse tearing and artifacts is fixed. But, Screen brightness is down.

Press Fn+Up Arrow key many times. Brightness doesn't rise more than 80%.

Desktop icon is disappeared sometimes.

Just wanted to thank all who took part in creating this topic. I currently own a E1705 with iPC osx86 10.5.6 installed on it, and it is running beautifully. Even my SD card reader is working with help of the post installer. This machine has the dreaded ATI X1400 in it and even that is working. Still has a very small amount of screen tearing but it's barely noticable. I recommend one of the following install disks as these were the ones that worked best for me: Kalyway's 10.5.2, iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4, or iPC osx86 10.5.6. Thanks all!
Could you possibly list your installation choices for iPC 10.5.6 here? I'm making some bad choice somewhere, and either getting a hang loop searching for root (AppleACPIPCI error), or my keyboard won't work, depending on my installation choices. Thanks.

I had best luck restoring keyboard / trackpad on 10.5.6 with the files from this post: 10.5.6 PS2_Fix

I've been trying to get the video card working (GeForce Go 7950 GTX from M1710) and it automatically recognizes the native resolution (1920 x 1200), but I am unable to get QE / CI working on the card. Anyone have any experience getting that working on 10.5.6?

I'm installed iATKOS 10.5.5 and GMA950 drivers from Sonotone's pathces.

Mouse tearing and artifacts is fixed. But, Screen brightness is down.

Press Fn+Up Arrow key many times. Brightness doesn't rise more than 80%.

Desktop icon is disappeared sometimes.

pafu, I gave you the fix on my post two pages ago:

the patcher installs a script for gma950 that only works correctly with login via password. You need to create a login password under your account settings in system settings. when you boot into your system a login windows should show up and ask you for password. if this is not the case you will have the problems you described.

Hello all,

First off, I am very impressed with the knowledge that many of you have...very impressive. I would like to briefly describe my situation. I have been using a program called Virtual DJ ( http://www.virtualdj.com/ )to dj my music video remixes (vob, mp4, mpeg2) on a PC/Laptop. It is a {censored} program, always crashing. A program called Serato Scratch Live ( www.scratchlive.net ) has a Video SL program, but unfortunatly, you have to buy this Rane TT57 SL video mixer ( http://www.rane.com/ttm57sl.html ) order for it to work, and it is far behind my current Pioneer DJM 800 mixer ( http://www.pioneerprodj.com/dj-equipment/mixers/djm-800.asp ). Anyways, someone at Serato has started a sister company called Inklen (http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/ ) , in which they offer the Serato video plug in, otherwize known as Mix Emergency, in which you can use any mixer with MIDI that you want. It is a MAC based program only. For those of you who have not seen Serato, a brief description...You can control your mp3s, wav (audio) and mp4 (video) via a USB soundcard/audio box thru your turntables and/or cd players via special time coded cds/records. The audio output goes thru the usb box and the video output goes out of whatever video output you have on the laptop/desktop, in my case S Video. I guess my question is, do you think Serato Scratch Live with Mix Emergency, will work correctly on my Dell Inspiron 1720 with this setup you are all describing, or has anyone tried this? I hope Im not too far off in right field :wacko: Thank you much!

Dear GD.

Yes, I have settings login password.

Reboot, System boot up. Screen background color state changing from grey to blue.

The screen is black-out at once. The login window is not visible. I blindfolded it.

Perhaps, The system completes the start.

I input the password while wishing so.

Flashing HDD access indicator. But screen is still black-out.

I moved the mouse in upper right. The screen was displayed. However, it is dim.

I tested other methods. Kalyway 10.5.2 and Sonotone's pather 10.4.

Behavior was quite the same.

I have made a mistake in something...

Dear GD.

Yes, I have settings login password.

Reboot, System boot up. Screen background color state changing from grey to blue.

The screen is black-out at once. The login window is not visible. I blindfolded it.

Perhaps, The system completes the start.

I input the password while wishing so.

Flashing HDD access indicator. But screen is still black-out.

I moved the mouse in upper right. The screen was displayed. However, it is dim.

I tested other methods. Kalyway 10.5.2 and Sonotone's pather 10.4.

Behavior was quite the same.

I have made a mistake in something...

ok, that is indeed odd. I have no clue what may have gone wrong. are you sure it's taking your password? I guess you don't really know when it's all black? I'd say create a new user, give that user a pw so you can login with either one - your old or the new one. Make the password as simple as possible to avoid errors. otherwise I have no idea what went wrong. other thing to try is manually delete the gman950 kexts including appleintegratedframebuffer.kext and then use sonotone's patcher to reinstall gma950 patch. good luck

edit1: Kalyway 10.5.2 will definitely not work.

I have a Dell E1705 and have installed iATKOS 5i and everything seems to be working nicely! But I do have one problem. If display goes to sleep, it will stay dark and will not wake up. If I do put system to sleep and wake it will work. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if this is related but I believe I have the NVidia Go drivers installed for my NVidia 7900GS card. That was the only one that gave me hardware accel. Anyone know of a better driver?

Thanks!

Hey GD,

Do your speakers turn off when you plug in headphones? I have a similar set up as you and I'm close to perfect. If I could get netflix to work and the sound to come out of headphones only when they're plugged in. As of now I'm using hda patcher in order to get my applehda.kext to get sound at all. Any help, or your codec dump would be awesome.

thanks

Hey GD,

Do your speakers turn off when you plug in headphones? I have a similar set up as you and I'm close to perfect. If I could get netflix to work and the sound to come out of headphones only when they're plugged in. As of now I'm using hda patcher in order to get my applehda.kext to get sound at all. Any help, or your codec dump would be awesome.

thanks

bilybrown, yes, speakers mute and headphones work when I plug them in. there may be a problem with the patcher overwriting the hda kexts. use my advice posted here and do a manual install with kexthelper. or delete your hda kext first and then use the patcher...

tgd

its okay deciever I fixed it by installing the core 2 duo patch from the dell util, now I have a new issue "no keyboard input" can you help?

well, I assumed you did this already. the system won't work with the stock kernel. either use voodoo kernel or sonotone's patched kernel. for the keyboard issue please read this post on sonotone's patcher thread and go from there. you will find two solutions. also see JimDandy's post right at the top of this page. I know this is often cumbersome but please spend some time looking through the posts of this thread or do a search.

When I install the 7900 gs driver to get the correct resolution, the pointer starts to stutter painfully.

Which driver would that be? I have the same card in my E1705 and have some issues. Screen blanking locks up machine and eDuke32 with High Resolution Packs does not work! Works great on my Dell D630 though! ;)

Which driver would that be? I have the same card in my E1705 and have some issues. Screen blanking locks up machine and eDuke32 with High Resolution Packs does not work! Works great on my Dell D630 though! :(

I used the Dell Util, do a search on the forum.

when u install the video driver, install the kernel Core Duo update that is right for your version of Mac OS X, ie 10.5.4

well, I assumed you did this already. the system won't work with the stock kernel. either use voodoo kernel or sonotone's patched kernel. for the keyboard issue please read this post on sonotone's patcher thread and go from there. you will find two solutions.

I will try this, I bought a dell 1490 card over christmas, right now the wifi wont turn on im guessing this will fix that too? as in windows I use a function shortcut to turn it on and off

OK, I have looked and looked throught hese pages and tried downloading kexts to fix the resolution on my e1505. Its stuck at 1024. I am sue its around here somewhere, but can soemone tell me the best latest way to get a better resolution on this laptop? its got the gma950 chipset in it. Even if it's manually doing it, could you lend some instruction? thanks!

EDIT: Tried Sonotone post installer and it kills the machine and tells me i mist restart.

OK, I have looked and looked throught hese pages and tried downloading kexts to fix the resolution on my e1505. Its stuck at 1024. I am sue its around here somewhere, but can soemone tell me the best latest way to get a better resolution on this laptop? its got the gma950 chipset in it. Even if it's manually doing it, could you lend some instruction? thanks!

EDIT: Tried Sonotone post installer and it kills the machine and tells me i mist restart.

try to add the graphics mode settings to your com.apple.boot.plist file, which you will find in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. copy it to your desktop, open it with textedit and change it to look like this:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"=1280x800x32@60"</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

then overwrite the original one with the one from the desktop. make a backup of your original one.

as for sonotone's patcher, I think you must have checked something that doesn't work with your system. Always check one and only 1 item at a time, restart and ensure everything is working, then proceed to next one.

good luck