[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

there must be one. in your leopard root under library.....

there must be one. in your leopard root under library.....

or do a search for com.apple.boot.plist

Yes I think there should be as well. This is so weird. I am going back to 10.5.5, where its normal haha

Managed to get the wifi working,the only real issue I have now is there is no sound, I know my 9400 is the sigma sound chip but none of the 3 drivers in the Dell util work

not sure anymore if I told you to install the hda kext manually. delete old one from your system and extract the ones from the patcher and install them with kexthelper. I had problems too with the dell patcher and doing it manually worked.

The Great Deceiver,

I am currently running a flawless (except for Wifi) IDeneb 10.5.5 on my Inspiron E1505 with the 7300 Go, 4 GB Ram, and C2D 2GHz

My model identifier is even Mac 4,1 as a result of the new APPLESMBIOS.kext i put in. Shows up as a mac4,1 in geek bench. I'm currently on a GUID (GPT) and have Chameleon 1.11 EFI installed. I have a functioning BOOT 132 USB stick. I also have vanilla kernel 9.5.0 (might be the modified dual core one from sonotone) I have hibernate mode 7 and everything works, besides having the display shut off by itself and then getting it back on, but all sleep functions work flawlessly!

My question to you is what is the safest way to upgrade to 10.5.6?

I know i have to do the DSDT.aml thing and some other stuff, but I'm not that well versed as you can see. I also noticed you already have 10.5.6 installed.

Could you please guide me through this update?

Thanks,

Kosmas

Thanks for this great Guide! Know everything works exept the sleep mode. :D

But i can live with that.

Thanks, again.

My system:

Dell Inspiron 6400 (original BIOS but need to boot with "cpus=1")

Uphuck's OSX 10.4.9 v1.4i revision 3

Working out of the box:

Graphics (Intel GMA950)

Network (Broadcom LAN)

And everything else what's not listened...

Needed to patch:

Sound (Sigmatel 9200, working with this guide)

Not tested:

Wireless

Bluetooth

The Great Deceiver,

I am currently running a flawless (except for Wifi) IDeneb 10.5.5 on my Inspiron E1505 with the 7300 Go, 4 GB Ram, and C2D 2GHz

My question to you is what is the safest way to upgrade to 10.5.6?

I know i have to do the DSDT.aml thing and some other stuff, but I'm not that well versed as you can see. I also noticed you already have 10.5.6 installed.

Could you please guide me through this update?

Thanks,

Kosmas

you don't need to do DSDT stuff at all. just follow my instructions in this post. Please make sure you have a backup image of your working install. You sure don't want to start from scratch. Furthermore, you really don't get a noticeable improvement over what you have with your 10.5.5. Don't change a winning team :angel:

Thanks for this great Guide! Know everything works exept the sleep mode. :(

But i can live with that.

well, you can get hibernate mode 1 (deep sleep) if you have netkas pcefi9 installed...

Do I have to update to EFI v9 if my current EFI Chameleon 1.11 is working fine?

Also if I don't have two finger scrolling enabled, will I still need to replace the Trackpad Pref Pane?

I am currently using SuperHai's 1.4.4 Speedstep GeneralCPUPowerManagement.kext, will that still work?

Can I update straight from Software Updater?

Will the stock Darwin Vanilla 9.6.0 Kernel enable both cores like Sonotone's 9.5.0 dual core patch kernel did?

And finally, do you suggest using Carbon Copy to make a backup image of my working install?

*Side Note* I'm thinking of purchasing an apple slim wireless keyboard and mighty mouse(Thoughts? I have a working compatible usb bluetooth adapter :glare: ) and also a retail copy of Leopard, but I'm lost when it comes to an unmodified install. I know to put my kexts in the Extensions folder on the USB Boot-132 stick, but thats about as far as I get. While we're at random stuff lol Why do you use Voodoo as opposed to a pure Vanilla Kernel? Also, I had a successful dual boot going with Vista x64 (Darwin as bootloader), but decided to scrap it because Vista wouldn't update! Everything was legit, except it would fail to install the updates on reboot. (I think it was the Darwin Bootloader...) But I wanted a pure MacBook Pro on GPT so I didn't replace Darwin with EasyBCD. Any thoughts on that? (Also wanted GUID (GPT) as partition scheme for Leopard so I didn't choose MBR, which may have been a problem in updating Vista....)

Thanks GD,

Kosmas

Do I have to update to EFI v9 if my current EFI Chameleon 1.11 is working fine?

Also if I don't have two finger scrolling enabled, will I still need to replace the Trackpad Pref Pane?

I am currently using SuperHai's 1.4.4 Speedstep GeneralCPUPowerManagement.kext, will that still work?

Can I update straight from Software Updater?

Will the stock Darwin Vanilla 9.6.0 Kernel enable both cores like Sonotone's 9.5.0 dual core patch kernel did?

And finally, do you suggest using Carbon Copy to make a backup image of my working install?

*Side Note* I'm thinking of purchasing an apple slim wireless keyboard and mighty mouse(Thoughts? I have a working compatible usb bluetooth adapter :rolleyes: ) and also a retail copy of Leopard, but I'm lost when it comes to an unmodified install. I know to put my kexts in the Extensions folder on the USB Boot-132 stick, but thats about as far as I get. While we're at random stuff lol Why do you use Voodoo as opposed to a pure Vanilla Kernel? Also, I had a successful dual boot going with Vista x64 (Darwin as bootloader), but decided to scrap it because Vista wouldn't update! Everything was legit, except it would fail to install the updates on reboot. (I think it was the Darwin Bootloader...) But I wanted a pure MacBook Pro on GPT so I didn't replace Darwin with EasyBCD. Any thoughts on that? (Also wanted GUID (GPT) as partition scheme for Leopard so I didn't choose MBR, which may have been a problem in updating Vista....)

Thanks GD,

Kosmas

man, you should read some more...

- pcefi9 is only necessary to get deep sleep if you want it. It also allows you to use MBR partitions.

- you don't need to do anything with the tackpad pref pane if you don't care. on a similar subject, you may loose keyboard after the update, either use the correct AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (see here) or I just put my older AppleACPIPlatform.kext back into the system.

-you can use superhai's speedstep fine. I suggest you update to his newest voodoo power

-with my instructions the online updater will not work as it will reboot before it installs the new kexts. Only on the next system boot will it install the new kexts and you will be greeted with a dead system. Download the updater to your desktop and follow my steps.

-NO stock kernel will enable both cores on our system. You either need voodoo or sonotone's patched 10.5.6 from his patcher.

-I am using Norton Ghost 14 when it's guid partition and Acronis True Image if MBR. with the new pcefi9, guid is not required anymore. As you see I am making an image from within windows. Your vista did not fail in updating because of GUID, I had guid and my updates worked perfectly fine.

-if you want to install a retail OSX then you should use sonotone's isos and kexts, which are specifically made for Dells.

-no idea/comment on your input hardware.

-if you want a pure MacBook Pro, buy one.

-as mentioned above, no kernel will allow both cores on your system, hence I am using voodoo. You can run Vanilla kernel but only with one core.

but...... if you have this many questions, I suggest you wait with the update and stick to your 10.5.5.

Wow thanks man. You cleared up a lot for me. I'm gonna try and dualboot Win7 with 10.5.5 and see how that goes as far as updating and the such. Why though when I check my kernel it says Vanilla, even though it's sonotone's dual core patched one? And what would be the advantage/disadvantage of using GUID? You make it sound like a bad thing... :) I guess I'm just really confused about the whole MBR/GUID thing and the accompanying EFI thing. What would you recommend for my setup of Leopard and Win7 x64? i already have the GUID in place with Leopard, so the Win7 has no choice but to comply with GUID as opposed to MBR. What would be the advantages of EFI v9 over Chameleon 1.11? This is where I get messed up ;)

Wow thanks man. You cleared up a lot for me. I'm gonna try and dualboot Win7 with 10.5.5 and see how that goes as far as updating and the such. Why though when I check my kernel it says Vanilla, even though it's sonotone's dual core patched one? And what would be the advantage/disadvantage of using GUID? You make it sound like a bad thing... :P I guess I'm just really confused about the whole MBR/GUID thing and the accompanying EFI thing. What would you recommend for my setup of Leopard and Win7 x64? i already have the GUID in place with Leopard, so the Win7 has no choice but to comply with GUID as opposed to MBR. What would be the advantages of EFI v9 over Chameleon 1.11? This is where I get messed up :)

sonotone may not have tagged the patched kernel to not say vanilla, he did patch it for the timing issues with older dells. guid was required before newest version of chameleon and pcefi9 to work 100%. it is not required anymore. it's more difficult to have dual or triple boot on guid than mbr, especially with oses that don't know guid. if win7 understands guid partitioning then you shouldn't have any problems with chameleon 11.

I have a Dell E1705 and have it running 10.5.6 pretty well. I used iATKOS 5i and it went pretty smooth. Using Voodoo 9.5 kernel and system 5.0 kext, seatbelt kext for DMG mount issues. I do seem to have video problems though.

I have the GeForce Go 7900GS 256MB card and had trouble getting Hardware Accel working. I finally found a kext and it seems to be working, but when display goes to sleep, it won't wake back up. System is up I can hear when I click and stuff. If I press the power button and then "S" it goes into sleep, then when I press power again it will wake and screen is back! The other issue is with EDuke32 and High Resolution Packs, refuses to work with this machine. On my Dell D630 it works great... I believe this is video driver related, as it works in software mode fine.

I tried EFI Studios and could never get QE working, so I went back to the kexts. Using NVInject V0.20 right now...

Any help would be appreciated!

So EFIv9 gives pc users the advantage of being able to use MBR with Mac OS X over Macintosh OS X users that are stuck with using GUID and then emulating MBR.

And if I already have deep sleep and normal sleep, then there is no reason to update to EFIv9.

So EFIv9 gives pc users the advantage of being able to use MBR with Mac OS X over Macintosh OS X users that are stuck with using GUID and then emulating MBR.

And if I already have deep sleep and normal sleep, then there is no reason to update to EFIv9.

yep, with the exception that Win7 may not install to guid partition....

Ok. I'm an idiot. I have the Ati card. Tried the post installer and it would load bottom bar and then stop. What's the best way to get resolution higher? I see people have done it, but the first post on here says no. Some more help? Thanks!

Yes sir, sure did. When I try that, it goes to boot then just shows a bunch of gray lines and random text and numbers across the screen.

well, sorry it doesn't work for you. we have the same system. if you use sonotone's patcher with the gma950 fix and add the graphic line in com.apple.boot.plist then it should work. start with safe boot and see if that boots with correct resolution. otherwise somewhere something goes wrong, but you know that already.

good luck.

I have been watching this thread for a while, and getting a lot of info/help from you all folks.

Just wanted to say a big thanks... and maybe add a little question :)

I'm currently in 10.5.5 (upgraded after a kalyway 10.5.2 + severel upgrades).

I just have this small problem : I can't get QE/CI to work with my 7900GS (was working fine in 10.5.4).

Which kext do you think I should try to put back from 10.5.4 in order to make it all work smoothly ??

Thanks again !

Hello all,

First off, I am very impressed with the knowledge that many of you have...very impressive. I would like to briefly describe my situation. I have been using a program called Virtual DJ ( http://www.virtualdj.com/ )to dj my music video remixes (vob, mp4, mpeg2) on a PC/Laptop. It is a {censored} program, always crashing. A program called Serato Scratch Live ( www.scratchlive.net ) has a Video SL program, but unfortunatly, you have to buy this Rane TT57 SL video mixer ( http://www.rane.com/ttm57sl.html ) order for it to work, and it is far behind my current Pioneer DJM 800 mixer ( http://www.pioneerprodj.com/dj-equipment/mixers/djm-800.asp ). Anyways, someone at Serato has started a sister company called Inklen (http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/ ) , in which they offer the Serato video plug in, otherwize known as Mix Emergency, in which you can use any mixer with MIDI that you want. It is a MAC based program only. For those of you who have not seen Serato, a brief description...You can control your mp3s, wav (audio) and mp4 (video) via a USB soundcard/audio box thru your turntables and/or cd players via special time coded cds/records. The audio output goes thru the usb box and the video output goes out of whatever video output you have on the laptop/desktop, in my case S Video. I guess my question is, do you think Serato Scratch Live with Mix Emergency, will work correctly on my Dell Inspiron 1720 with this setup you are all describing, or has anyone tried this? I hope Im not too far off in right field :wacko: Thank you much!

Serato works on my Dell...don't have video sl...if your serious about djing and do gigs regularly DON'T use a hackintosh no matter how stable you think it is...it's not worth it to have your computer crash during a gig. buy yourself a real mac. i have a macbook and love it...i use it all the time for gigs...i wouldnt trust using my hackintosh dell even though it is running 99.9% like a macbook pro...i just use it for home where i know if it crashes or wat not, i will not get booed...like i said if your really serious about djing...if not then im sure it probably will work just dont depend on it when it comes to gigs...

Sorry for the noob question but I have a situation that I cant figure out. I installed Darwin /86 5.1.132 - Chemeleon 1.0.11 on a 60 gig hard drive on my e1705 everything went well and smooth. I wanted to upgrade to 320 gig hard drive. I first tried to clone the hard drive and everytime I rebooted the dell would give a "no boot sector found". So I thought I would have to reintsall everything over again which was fine I guess. I installed everything over again, and even after a fresh install I still get the same message about the no boot sector. Any suggesstions?

I'm currently in 10.5.5 (upgraded after a kalyway 10.5.2 + severel upgrades).

I just have this small problem : I can't get QE/CI to work with my 7900GS (was working fine in 10.5.4).

I answer my own question (as it may help others). I installed the "NEW!: 9f23 Intel/ATI/Nvidia/OpenGL installer (fixed)" from : http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

And everything is back to normal :unsure:

ok this is a very long thread and i would love to jump right on this but i am so confused right now after reading what i just did that am now scrared!!!

can someone here please tell me what to select on an iatkos 5i install for my e1505? it is a low level model with what says 945 chipset but i thought it was 950 according to everyone elses posts, anyway it goes as follows...

t205 1.6 ghz intel core duo

1 gb ram 533mhz

950 graphics

1390 wireless..

yada yada... its bone stock with no upgrades when ordered it.

what do i need to do to get it up and running solidly..

i would like 10.5.6 but if 10.5.5 is more stable then i would stay there..

i recently used the retail method on my dell mini9 and my install is bulletproof.. hoping to see the same thing from this machine as well..

any help is greatly appreciated.

ok this is a very long thread and i would love to jump right on this but i am so confused right now after reading what i just did that am now scrared!!!

can someone here please tell me what to select on an iatkos 5i install for my e1505? it is a low level model with what says 945 chipset but i thought it was 950 according to everyone elses posts, anyway it goes as follows...

t205 1.6 ghz intel core duo

1 gb ram 533mhz

950 graphics

1390 wireless..

yada yada... its bone stock with no upgrades when ordered it.

what do i need to do to get it up and running solidly..

i would like 10.5.6 but if 10.5.5 is more stable then i would stay there..

i recently used the retail method on my dell mini9 and my install is bulletproof.. hoping to see the same thing from this machine as well..

any help is greatly appreciated.

I suggest iPC 10.5.6 release and then Sonotone's patcher or use the retail method, then Sonotone's patcher. I did the latter (see post here) and have 10.5.6 running. I had the same specs you have before I upgraded my 1505 with a new processor and memory. btw. the chipset is 945 but your onboard card is a gma950 (confusing, I know). If you know how to do a retail install then you are in good shape. good luck.

Sorry for the noob question but I have a situation that I cant figure out. I installed Darwin /86 5.1.132 - Chemeleon 1.0.11 on a 60 gig hard drive on my e1705 everything went well and smooth. I wanted to upgrade to 320 gig hard drive. I first tried to clone the hard drive and everytime I rebooted the dell would give a "no boot sector found". So I thought I would have to reintsall everything over again which was fine I guess. I installed everything over again, and even after a fresh install I still get the same message about the no boot sector. Any suggesstions?

that is odd. if you use Acronis True Image and you clone your hdd you should be able to boot without a problem. I did this many times. How did you clone it? I suspect that there is a hidden partition on your new drive for some reason (could be your cloning software that did that or god knows). Assuming you still have your 60gb drive I suggest you delete all partition on your new drive, format it and then use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to clone your old hdd to your new one. when you clone that make sure you choose the entire hdd, not just one partition. You may have guid which needs additional partitions before your main one. if you have mbr, make sure you clone including mbr, not just the partition. Anyhow, it should be straight forward unless your new hdd is bad.

good luck