ACPI (DSDT) Patcher for BIOS and AML

koalala

845 posts in this topic

need help . can't understand what is my graphic card hardware location . this is from ioregexplorer -

" IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci-bridge@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/display0 "

Hello Folks,

So far, I have successfully created DSDT.aml file from my BIOS file using koalala app in Vista. Everything seem to be fine except for sound. I have used all combination in the app and created DSDT file. OSX shows line-in and line-out but no sound. Hence, need to try something new.

I am using Munky’s EFI install method, so I would like to put all of modified kexts in /Volumes/EFI .

Can someone comment if this will work on my ALC888 chip (GA-EP45-DS3LR MB)

1. Create DSDT.aml using koalala’s app in Vista with no audio patch.

2. Get Pin code for my ALC888 using method described in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137188

3. Boot into OSX

4. Modify HDA controller kext (using vanilla?) using the pincode from step 2)

Question: Do I need AppleHDAEnabler kext? Does it need to be modified?

5. Build mkext and reboot.

Have I missed any steps? Please let me know.

Thank you.

Oh damn..of course.

Well in that case maybe you could include an option to patch whatever file those two generate?

Then we can run either of those programs under Windows, and then patch the output under OSX.

Otherwise there will be no way to create a new, clean DSDT.aml under OSX86 after user upgrades his motherboard BIOS and a patched DSDT.aml from the old BIOS is already loaded into memory.

Or will it be possible to unload DSDT from memory somehow before generating new DSDT.AML?

Hi Koalala /All

I have just reinstalled OSX to a new WD Raptor drive and I'm now suffering the same problem as fredouille, where by the SATA driver is listed as Unknown and HDD's shown as external drives (previous install SAST driver was ICH9R.) without Legacy blockstorage kext (c/o netkas) installed to EFI/Extensions/ and as JMicron with Legacy Blockstorage kext.

-fredouille have you resolved this?

Initially I had used DSDT.aml generated using .2 Beta4 and found I didn't require **edit** modifiied **edit** block storage kexts. I had only in EFI/Extensions; OpenHaltRestart, dsmos, LegacyJMicronATA.

I then took the plunge and loaded patched BIOS generated using .2 Beta4. All was working to plan.

When I came to reinstall to new drive I found I had problems booting with Boot 132 iso. Even a new Boot132 generated with apropriate extensions was resulting in a corrupt install.

I reverted BIOS back to F5 unpatched on my EP35 DS4. Cleared CMOS and reconfigured.

I now have a clean install (DSDT.aml loading from EFI partition.) bar the fact that SATA drivers are listed as JMicron not ICH9R and I have 3 Legacy blockstorage kexts installed to EFI/Extensions that i previously didn't need.

I have also tried patched F5 bios again, removing DSDT.aml from EFI/ - this makes no differance.

Can you think anything I've missed that would cause this problem?

Any suggestions appreciated.

D

Edit:- I have tried removing Raptor drive and install to my origional HDD and still have the same issue, so I can eliminate an issue with the new HDD.

Regarding my question:

Is it possible that when I flash back to my original BIOS file something from the patched BIOS file is not being overwritten?

Or when you flash the BIOS is the previous file completely erased?

I have attached the GigaByte original and patched BIOS files.

As ever any help from those of knowledge would be hugely appreciated.

D.

BIOS_GA_EP35_DS4.zip

When you flash the BIOS everything (excepting bootblock) is modified so there is no more patched bios parts.

On my mainboard, I need to use Legacy storage kexts. Recognizing ICHx can't work with only DSDT.aml. One possible explanation is that you deleted kexts but not cleaned kext cache. That's why it was working without legacy.

And the only solution is ... to use legacy storage kext.

@yulu and for everybody : since chameleon is needed for /Extra folder and everybody need it (e.g. for AppleDecrypt or dsmos), dsdt.aml method is safer and don't require much more files.

One trick :

Add Extra folder in "/.hidden" file to hide this folder.

When you flash the BIOS everything (excepting bootblock) is modified so there is no more patched bios parts.

On my mainboard, I need to use Legacy storage kexts. Recognizing ICHx can't work with only DSDT.aml. One possible explanation is that you deleted kexts but not cleaned kext cache. That's why it was working without legacy.

And the only solution is ... to use legacy storage kext.

Hi Koalala and thanks for the reply

I had considered that maybe I had not cleaned kext cache having removed Netkas's Legacy storage kext on my previous install and this is probably the case.

The problem is though, I am following now the same EFI partition install I had previously used - even with Legacy storage kext in /EFI/Extensions folder (as they where previously.) my SATA drives are now listed as JMicron. Previously they where listed as ICH9R?

I've really appreciated your work it has made a huge difference.

I'll keep bashing away :blink:

D.

Thanks

For your prolem :

Two possibilities :

-You change your hard drive port on the mainboard (you would remember it so I think it isn't)

-You didn't use the same Legacy Kext or you used an additional kext which wasn't there before.

There are many different ICH9 Kext, I would advice you to use netkas one's which report all ports as ICH9 (including JMICRON ones so hotswap won't work).

Or this one : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147102

Try replacing your actual file with one of these kext.

Thanks

For your prolem :

Two possibilities :

-You change your hard drive port on the mainboard (you would remember it so I think it isn't)

-You didn't use the same Legacy Kext or you used an additional kext which wasn't there before.

There are many different ICH9 Kext, I would advice you to use netkas one's which report all ports as ICH9 (including JMICRON ones so hotswap won't work).

Or this one : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147102

Try replacing your actual file with one of these kext.

Again thanks for reply.

I haven't changed OSX HDD SATA port.

I had added 1 HDD but is currently removed in case this was the problem.

I'm using Legacy storage kext from netkas as I had previously.

I will try the alternatives you have posted the link to.

Is this purely an aesthetic thing I am worrying about? or does this effect the operation of my build?

Kind Regards

D.

koalala thank you very much for your continued work and support on this.

One idea for the mac port: include a window that displays the dsl source code and when you select some option in the patcher you can see which changes are made to the code in realtime (with some highliting or coloring) and also allowing manual code editing (like changing some pin config value) before compiling.

One idea for the mac port: include a window that displays the dsl source code and when you select some option in the patcher you can see which changes are made to the code in realtime (with some highliting or coloring) and also allowing manual code editing (like changing some pin config value) before compiling.

Would be fine !

I think that would increase the complexity of the program greatly. If koala does, however add this feature, it should only be enabled for advanced users (ie have an option to disable it).

I think that would increase the complexity of the program greatly. If koala does, however add this feature, it should only be enabled for advanced users (ie have an option to disable it).

Yeah.

But it would be also OK, much less work if the already existing file generation (dsdt_fixed.dsl, dsdt_hpet_fixed.dsl, dsdt_rtc_fixed.dsl) may get explained whats before after.

They all have same creation time but i am sure there must be an , 1, 2, 3 step of those 3 files.

There are too many exciting things happening right now. The new version of chameleon (awesome), this amazing DSDT.aml patcher (really needed), Mac OS X 10.6 nearing release, Windows 7 also nearing release (I think). What more can you ask for.

Edit:

This thread has become too large and messy. When you release the new version put it in a new thread.

Since I sold my only computer compatible with OSX, I will continue the project in 2 weeks. So don't ask for release now.

And ok, I will create a new thread.

Hi. I do hope you continue your work! Your patcher works fine for me and really helped me to understand what's being patched and how. Only patched DSDT.. don't want to mess with BIOS.

Patched GMA950, Audio injection and the needed fixes to compile without errors/warnings :) just needed to add some PCI devices manually, that i had on my previous fixed DSDT (thanks to roisoft).

Still have to try ATI x1600..

Thanks for your work!

Just posting to report the results on my sig config:

Patching just dsdt.aml, based on F2 version BIOS.

Options I chose:

GENERAL: HPET, RTC, Aliases (Fixes: Local0, WAK, DGPT)

NETWORK: LAN0, @ PEX 4 & Use Time Machine Fix

GRAPHICS: My Card model & memory, Use DSDT Graphics, @PCI 0 & PEGP

AUDIO: my chipset & Use HDEF audio.

The results, compile without errors and warning.

I get AppleHPET.kext loaded now, before it didnt load, no need for disabler as expected.

Time Machine worked before with EFI string, now still works, however I notice I still dont get built-in=1 value in my ioreg despite of being injected in dsdt. I'm not sure why Time Machine still works, mystery... Should I try GIGE instead of LAN0?

Graphics works 100%, CI&QE, just tried 1 DVI port though.

Audio doesnt work at all. I got it working before with tmongkol legacy kexts and it doesnt work with them now. Does DSDT audio fix need a specific set of audio kexts tailored for DSDT? Also I notice there is some PinConfigurations value being injected, while the HDAEnabler.kext I was using didnt have any value, do I need to edit change that value somehow to match the legacy kext?

excuse me koalala.. but it it possible to merge or introduce more hardware?

is it a risk if my lappie doesn't have hw in your list?

i've a rom bios of mu lappie.. when I put into the load bios.. the program say that it isn't a valid rom

can you help me?

the only solid info are:

my dsdt obained in linux (proc folder) and converted

my nvidia nvcap .. (9600M GT)

my alc888S/T-1200 ich9 sound card

my marvell ethernet

if i use a mbr hackintosh.. with a voodoo kernel i don't need the dsdt .. am I right?

this is only to work fine in hpet in a 9.6 kernel..

can anyone give me a slap on the shoulder??? :thumbsup_anim:

Hi, i am running my GA-EP35-DS3 Board with "fullloaded" dsdt patch.

TM/LAN fix, EFI GFX String 3850, AppleHDA, HPET NEW - PERFECT

All is OK with that above.

Shutdown OK , Sleep OK - WAKEUP = REBOOT ?!

But i now (never tested since dsdt) if i sleep the "Mac" it sleeps , OK

It also wakes up (keyboard, mouse) but insted of OS X GUI it reboots ?!

I came to test this because someone told me he has with dsdt.aml (no errors) aktive, an reboot insted shutdown .

What can it be (must be something with the dsdt) ?

Which parts should i take a look (dsdt.dsl) ?

Hi, i am running my GA-EP35-DS3 Board with "fullloaded" dsdt patch.

TM/LAN fix, EFI GFX String 3850, AppleHDA, HPET NEW - PERFECT

All is OK with that above.

But i now (never tested since dsdt) if i sleep the "Mac" it sleeps , OK

It also wakes up (keyboard, mouse) but insted of OS X GUI it reboots ?!

I came to test this because someone told me he has with dsdt.aml (no errors) aktive, an reboot insted shutdown .

What can it be (must be something with the dsdt) ?

Which parts should i take a look (dsdt.dsl) ?

Have you tried if the reported solution of turning on "Restart on power loss" (or similar) in Energy preference pane fixes it?

I almost never use sleep, not sure...

I agree with you, I think I've read koalala planned to make a simple/advanced mode switch in the OS X port, maybe I'm mistaken.

Some other suggestion for koalala:

- Some option to read/save patcher options in a external config file, so its posible to load a known working config for a specific board/bios version and patch the dsdt according to those options. It would make it easier for newbies. For this to work good though it would be needed to separate graphics options that are always tied up to a specific motherboard (onboard gma950) from others that are optional (pci express card graphics).

Without dsdt also wakeup works !

"Have you tried if the reported solution of turning on "Restart on power loss" (or similar) in Energy preference pane fixes it?

I almost never use sleep, not sure...

"

I am pretty sure that its an problem with dsdt, not that setting. That setting cant help to wake up insted of rebooting i think.

Without dsdt also waking up works !

Because i dont need really dsdt i perhaps will remove it until other fixes came up.

An other Gigabyte User has near simlilar dsdt problem:

When he shutdown the pc reboots ?

Also, if he disable dsdt shutdown does whats named ;)