NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

I'm 99% sure your have a kernel panic, disable sleep screen and you'll see...

anyway:

there is one known possible cause, is if you are using jmicronata and did not disable "HD sleep" in "energy saver" you'll get KP

if you did disable HD sleep

then the best bet is Voodoo Power being unstable as you thought... replace it with openhaltrestart, and see if you still have the problem

let me know, if it is unstable I'll remove it from the pack....

are you overclocking your machine?

Thanks for the reply. Came back to the machine after leaving it alone all day yesterday - unresponsive again.

No jmicron here - all SATA. No OC either. My money is on the VooDoo Power....hope so anyway. I just changed it out - we'll see how it goes.

One other goofy thing I've had a minor issue with ever since the 10.5.6 refresh is every time I reboot, I have to unplug and plug back in my Logitech keyboard/mouse USB receiver in order to get functions like "back" on my mouse to work. If I don't cycle the receiver, it's like I don't have the Logitech control panel installed at all. Never had that issue on any install in the past.

Thanks again Eliade.

Well I'm not using Voodoo, I'm on a vanilla install 10.5.7, and I'm not overclocked.

I just installed Windows 7 everything's fine, on 7 anyway. Right after I used kexthelper to install the kexts to my test partition everything went to {censored}.

I deleted the extensions.mkext in windows and booted with -f -v to reload the extentions and everything seems fine....

On another note os x doesn't show my sata dvd drive in the eject pop-down menu in the menu bar. Even when there's a dvd in it is there a fix? The dvd shows up on the desktop when there's a dvd in it, just not in the menu bar.

On another note os x doesn't show my sata dvd drive in the eject pop-down menu in the menu bar. Even when there's a dvd in it is there a fix? The dvd shows up on the desktop when there's a dvd in it, just not in the menu bar.

To show the DVD eject thing in the menu bar, do this:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

double-click on the "Eject.menu"

To show the DVD eject thing in the menu bar, do this:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

double-click on the "Eject.menu"

What I mean is my IDE dvd drive shows in the eject menu but not my sata dvd drive.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

For those having problems with auto-sleep, we've found that leaving a DVD in the optical drive allows it to work on the EP45-UD3P and 10.5.7 and probably a lot of other people having the same problem. Note this is not a fix for sleep that doesn't work or resume. Only those having an issue with the inactivity setting in Energy Saver. Hopeful, this will lead towards a more viable solution.

Thanks for that weird solution. I'll try it when I get at home.

I noticed that my SATA DVDRW's light blinkes sometime when the system try to sleep when not used.

I think it should work for me too.

Thank you.

[Edit] No. The DVD trick didn't work for me.

What I mean is my IDE dvd drive shows in the eject menu but not my sata dvd drive.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Okay, got it. I'm assuming both are internal. For external drives (even on my real Macs) both will not show up, only the internal drives will show up using the eject menu in the menu bar.

If both are internal, I'm not really sure how to fix that, sorry.

Thank you very mouch for the great tutorial and great kext pack! :D

I had only a little problem, I installed form a retail 10.5.0 and if i do the chameleon thing first I had kernel panic at boot.

So I tried reinstall, first update to 10.5.7, boot with the grub dic, and than do the chameleon install kext efi string etc, and now its up and runnning, everything works! So its grate!

THX THX!:-)

My problems with 10.5.7 sleep are driving me nuts. I'm on the verge of doing a downgrade to 10.5.6.

Is this working for everyone else? My machine will try and sleep - but freeze and require hard reset. Speedstep disabled, vanilla 10.5.7.

Are your UHCI devices "Built in" in System Profiler? Otherwise, maybe try this DSDT patch.

Also, I would recommend to completely turn off your machine for ten seconds after a failed sleep.

Okay, got it. I'm assuming both are internal. For external drives (even on my real Macs) both will not show up, only the internal drives will show up using the eject menu in the menu bar.

If both are internal, I'm not really sure how to fix that, sorry.

They're both internal yes. Hey no problem thanks for the help.

UPDATED PACK with new sound:

Pack_for_10.5.7___May20.zip

I added a bunch of readme I just made: how to use this pack, tips and tricks, how to install from retail disk , etc...

don't hesitate to edit/update/add more detail to the readmes and how to's, I did it quickly and I'm sure it can be improved... then post them so that I can replace them in the pack

that will lower the number of repeated usual questions... in this thread

I did an Update to 10.5.7 but then my system freezes after a restart. I used your install Guide.

Is there anything i have to do before i run the update? I installed all drivers from your Zip before i did the upgrade.

Are your UHCI devices "Built in" in System Profiler? Otherwise, maybe try this DSDT patch.

Also, I would recommend to completely turn off your machine for ten seconds after a failed sleep.

Yes, they all show up as built in.

I have noticed the need to completely shut off ( I unplug) after a failed sleep, otherwise the computer will get into a recycle-loop and fail to start up.

My temporary fix has been to downgrade to 10.5.6 where all (including sleep) works well.

I did an Update to 10.5.7 but then my system freezes after a restart. I used your install Guide.

Is there anything i have to do before i run the update? I installed all drivers from your Zip before i did the upgrade.

by freeze you mean an actual kernel panic,or looping circle stops turning , or infinite spinning little circle

after a dead motherboard and dead HD, I finally received the HD yesterday and reinstalled from absolute scratch (retail 10.5.4)

after a major update (in my case combo 10.5.7) the system is supposed to reboot once at the apple gray logo, then after a minute or so reboot again, this time to your desktop

I didn't install openhaltrestart, therefore after the first reboot it "stalled" at the apple gray logo screen but the circle would keep spining forever, just did a forced reset (after a 2 or 3 minutes to be sure) as it was ready to reboot anyway, then it booted as normal to the desktop, installed everything...

installed chameleon but it would boot only with grub dfe, spinning circle at gray logo would stop spinning, but no visible kernel panic, I just recreated the com.apple.boot.plist a second time and it worked this time with chameleon, I guess I just had a typo somewhere in that file (or didn't select the right video card unintentionnaly)

hope this info helps

Hm seems that the Sleep Mode isn't working. Any fix for that?

you mean from the apple menu ? or scheduled sleep?

from the apple menu my system seems to sleep fine, wakes up by moving the mouse, so after you click the sleep button don't touch your mouse or keyboard at all...haven't tried scheduled yet... right now I'm backing a drive onto my new 500Gb because the other one started clicking a little....

Thanks for that weird solution. I'll try it when I get at home.

I noticed that my SATA DVDRW's light blinkes sometime when the system try to sleep when not used.

I think it should work for me too.

Thank you.

[Edit] No. The DVD trick didn't work for me.

[Edit2] Yes. I can confirm that this trick works. I think I had not waited enough time before. This time I put a Wii DVD backup on my DVD drive.

Everyone,

Today I noticed that after running software update and installing safari 4.0 release, after reboot the NIC no longer functions... so far I am unable to see exactly what has changed according to the logs.

It shows that the NIC is present but does not show a mac address (all is ff:ff:ff:etc.) and no dhcp

I was running the standard realtek driver with NO SPEEDSTEP

Using standard Eliade kext pack and retail /extra/extensions only

Anyone else have this issue?

Note that this NIC was flawless before the reboot, and yes it does work as I am dual booted into windows 7 right now for this post.

Everyone,

Today I noticed that after running software update and installing safari 4.0 release, after reboot the NIC no longer functions... so far I am unable to see exactly what has changed according to the logs.

It shows that the NIC is present but does not show a mac address (all is ff:ff:ff:etc.) and no dhcp

Note that this NIC was flawless before the reboot, and yes it does work as I am dual booted into windows 7 right now for this post.

Updated to Safari 4. No problems here.

Using Chameleon 2,

All modified kexts in /extra/extensions only

retail 10.5.7

Everyone,

This is probably not what you want to hear but....

With all updates to Hackintoshes we should all do a quick backup (my personal fav is SuperDuper) so that you can revert as needed. Hackintoshes are never completely flawlessly working Macs (if you want a flawless Mac, buy a Mac).

I too updated without issues so something may have gotten corrupted and, regrettably, a complete reinstall may be needed. But if you have done backups just go to the last working one and then reinstall the updates.

Again, sorry for stating something that may not really be of help to you presently, but certainly everyone using a Hackintosh should have a separate partition that is exclusively used for backups for just such an issue. And hopefully this is help you in the future.

Well it appears to have been a one time issue.

Today it booted fine and everything works, lol :(

The adapter now shows a mac address. I never did find any log entry to explain the problem.

I have many backups including a time capsule that does my real macs and the hackintosh, I can say that it has worked great if something went horribly wrong.

I cannot say how wonderful time machine is.. even for our hackintosh's it works perfect.

I will say that using chamelon 2 + retail, kexts in extra/extensions is almost flawless so far for the past few months.

Super easy!