NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

For those having problems with auto-sleep, we've found that leaving a DVD in the optical drive allows it to work on the EP45-UD3P and 10.5.7 and probably a lot of other people having the same problem. Note this is not a fix for sleep that doesn't work or resume. Only those having an issue with the inactivity setting in Energy Saver. Hopeful, this will lead towards a more viable solution.

my board is dead I fried it the other day, new (well open-box deal) is coming later today :(

ouch.. hope you will get your system back in order very soon.

I am having this strange problem with my USB webcam (Logitech Ultra with built-in mic). After the system wakes from sleep, video is lost. Both iChat and Skype reports that no video device is connected, however detects the mic properly. A system restart or plug-out and plug back in of the webcam fixes the problem.

Anyone using an external webcam and experiencing this issue?

Check your bios and see if the drive is showing up there.

PS: everyone else, did we ever get the audio fixed after the 10.5.7 update so that it shows up on the System Profiler?

I've created a "SlimBuild-Preboot" whit the "initrd.img" content on it.

I've put the essential kext and JMicron kext on it. So I assume that when I can get this in the grub-dfe.iso the retail installer will detect my IDE HD!?

Can someone help me with that? I've tried everything but I can't seem to get my IDE HD seen by disc utlility when I've booted from the Leopard Install disc.

I know Eliade has made one also but I'm not getting the "initrd.img" in de grub-dfe.iso

Thank already!

I would realy like to try a retail install!

^_^

Anyone ever have a problem where they leave the system running (no auto sleep) at all times but come back later to a system that is still running yet the monitor doesn't wake? I have yet to figure out what the issue is. Seems to happen every few days. Only way to correct it is to reboot. It seems like the system might have gone into a KP or similar because using volume up/down on keyboard makes no sound, trying to initiate spotlight doesn't get the hard drive cranking as usual but without the video output turning on I don't know how to confirm the problem.

Wondering about the stability of the Voodoo Power kext now (using it currently). Any thought at all? Any way to see what happened after rebooting?

Thanks guys!

Anyone ever have a problem where they leave the system running (no auto sleep) at all times but come back later to a system that is still running yet the monitor doesn't wake? I have yet to figure out what the issue is. Seems to happen every few days. Only way to correct it is to reboot. It seems like the system might have gone into a KP or similar because using volume up/down on keyboard makes no sound, trying to initiate spotlight doesn't get the hard drive cranking as usual but without the video output turning on I don't know how to confirm the problem.

Wondering about the stability of the Voodoo Power kext now (using it currently). Any thought at all? Any way to see what happened after rebooting?

Thanks guys!

I'm 99% sure your have a kernel panic, disable sleep screen and you'll see...

anyway:

there is one known possible cause, is if you are using jmicronata and did not disable "HD sleep" in "energy saver" you'll get KP

if you did disable HD sleep

then the best bet is Voodoo Power being unstable as you thought... replace it with openhaltrestart, and see if you still have the problem

let me know, if it is unstable I'll remove it from the pack....

are you overclocking your machine?

Sleep is definitely wonky for me with 10.5.7. Worked well in 10.5.6.

Using a sanitary fresh 10.5.7 install and only Eliade's great extension pack (with the exception of IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from the Chameleon 2rc pack in place of LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext in Eliade's (Fixes orange drive icons for me). Non-speedstep setup here. 2.4 Q6600 gently over-clocked to 2.7.

Tried the DVD in the drive suggestion - nope.

Won't go into timed deep sleep, and often won't wake up- from sleep.

I wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's helped me a lot getting my Leopard Retail 10.5.6 on my system.

C2D 8400 @3.6ghz

Ep45-UD3R

2x2gb G SKILL DDR1000 5-5-5-15 2.1volts

8800 GTS 512mb

600 watt OCZ PSU

400GB/w Vista64

640GB storage

160GB/w Leopard Retail

In iTunes my Airtunes is not working :)

does anybody know why?

Vanilla 10.5.7, iTunes 8.1.1

Are you using the RealtekR1000.kext from Psystar, or the native Apple one? I can't get anything working with Bonjour unless I use the R1000 kext.

i use the kext from this threat,

so i think psystar...

what kext should i use to get

airtunes/bonjour to work?

and did you add the <key>-f</key> <string></string> to your com.apple.boot.plist in Extra/?

without it realtekR1000 won't load during boot when its in the Extra/Extensoins, meaning no bonjour...

On the UD3 boards you can use the native kext just fine. BUT, you have to have a working EFI string so it registers as built-in for en0. Otherwise, it will still work, but some things like TM, streaming Netflix, and Bonjour will not work properly. This is assuming you want a more vanilla install. There are some hacked kexts and smbios that work around some of those issues.

oh thanks,

i forgott to add this.

do i need a *.mkext on efi?

and how can i load the natit.kext from efi?

to get my hd4850 to run...

you didn't use chameleon 2 ?

<key>-f</key> <string></string>, makes an mkext useless, everything can be managed from /Extra/Extensions...

(at least with chameleon 2)

efi partition is pain in the a**, I would really suggest using chameleon 2

when using chameleon 2, you can put the natit.kext into Extra/Extensions...

try it on the efi, it may still work...

i am using Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431 on the EFI partition.

i have the natit.kext in extras/extensions,

but is doesn't work.

i will now add the <key>-f</key> <string></string>

an test it.

see you soon :unsure:

thx

ok, i have added <key>-f</key> <string></string>

now my airtunes/bonjour is working,

but timemachine doesn't work anymore.

I have added the TM fix string with the UI tool.

so what can i do?

Tell me how installing the audio kext's from Elaid's pack on my test osx partition while i was on it causes my regular osx partition on another drive to kernel panic at boot? I then tried booting into vista and that blue screens.

Tell me how installing the audio kext's from Elaid's pack on my test osx partition while i was on it causes my regular osx partition on another drive to kernel panic at boot? I then tried booting into vista and that blue screens.

it's all in the readme file...

you just copy them to the extra/extensions folder

usually panic at startup, can be due to using voodoo and high overclocking

or didn't edit com.apple.boot.plist well...

it's hard to make perfect sense out of your sentence but are you saying you have kernel panic in osx and blue screen of death in vista, then your problem is either bad overclocking, or hardware failure (bad ram maybe...)

i am using Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431 on the EFI partition.

i have the natit.kext in extras/extensions,

but is doesn't work.

i will now add the <key>-f</key> <string></string>

an test it.

see you soon :unsure:

thx

ok, i have added <key>-f</key> <string></string>

so what can i do?

chameleon was not designed to be used on a separate efi partition, but was made to be installed at the root of the partition where OSX is installed, sure it will for the most part work very well on the efi, but you may still get problems we don't have because it's on a separate efi partiton.... some kext must still be put on the root of the osx install in extra/extensions even if you have efi partition. so why not put everything at the root of osx partition....

move natit to Extra/Extensions/ at the root of the osx install partition (create it if the folder does not exist)

if natit still doesn't work there while using <key>-f</key> <string></string>

then remove it from the extra/extensions (on the efi and the root of osx)

and use "kext-helper" to install it in the system (it will be in S/L/E)

are you sure natit is what you need for your video card, I don't really know anything about it, I have an nvidia, a simple efi string does the job for me...

I am having this strange problem with my USB webcam (Logitech Ultra with built-in mic). After the system wakes from sleep, video is lost. Both iChat and Skype reports that no video device is connected, however detects the mic properly. A system restart or plug-out and plug back in of the webcam fixes the problem.

Replying to my own post :unsure:

I thought i will update the community with what I have found so far:

Apparently, this is a bug with OSX and UVC webcams. So it should be applicable to anyone with these webcams

The good news is that there is a workaround(other than re-booting), like so:

After restoring the system from sleep, make sure your video application is not active. Go to System Preferences -> Sound and select Logitech Camera. Verify the audio is working and close the Sound window.

Now use your webcam from the application of your choice.

Also see this thread:

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/...ding&page=1

My problems with 10.5.7 sleep are driving me nuts. I'm on the verge of doing a downgrade to 10.5.6.

Is this working for everyone else? My machine will try and sleep - but freeze and require hard reset. Speedstep disabled, vanilla 10.5.7.

My problems with 10.5.7 sleep are driving me nuts. I'm on the verge of doing a downgrade to 10.5.6.

Is this working for everyone else? My machine will try and sleep - but freeze and require hard reset. Speedstep disabled, vanilla 10.5.7.

I'll look more into it as soon as my machine will be back up and running, hang on a few days

(new replacement motherboard arrived and works, but only then I realized my osx HD also fried, well just the electronic board, disk themselves should be fine, I hope, so now I'm waiting on a new HD, and hopefully can exchange PCB boards to recover my data, worth days and days of work... )

Sleep is(and has been) working great on my machine. My only problem was timed sleep with Firefox running. Never had to do hard reset.

I am using openHaltRestart kext, vanilla 10.5.7 and chameleon 2.

Do you have any external devices, USB or otherwise that might be interfering with the sleep? just a thought.

and don't move your mouse when you sleep, because it will wake up the computer

it's all in the readme file...

you just copy them to the extra/extensions folder

usually panic at startup, can be due to using voodoo and high overclocking

or didn't edit com.apple.boot.plist well...

it's hard to make perfect sense out of your sentence but are you saying you have kernel panic in osx and blue screen of death in vista, then your problem is either bad overclocking, or hardware failure (bad ram maybe...)

Well I'm not using Voodoo, I'm on a vanilla install 10.5.7, and I'm not overclocked.

I just installed Windows 7 everything's fine, on 7 anyway. Right after I used kexthelper to install the kexts to my test partition everything went to {censored}.

chameleon was not designed to be used on a separate efi partition, but was made to be installed at the root of the partition where OSX is installed, sure it will for the most part work very well on the efi, but you may still get problems we don't have because it's on a separate efi partiton.... some kext must still be put on the root of the osx install in extra/extensions even if you have efi partition. so why not put everything at the root of osx partition....

move natit to Extra/Extensions/ at the root of the osx install partition (create it if the folder does not exist)

if natit still doesn't work there while using <key>-f</key> <string></string>

then remove it from the extra/extensions (on the efi and the root of osx)

and use "kext-helper" to install it in the system (it will be in S/L/E)

are you sure natit is what you need for your video card, I don't really know anything about it, I have an nvidia, a simple efi string does the job for me...

thanks.

i used this guid to intall it to efi partition:

http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/2009/03/chameleon-20-guide/

but i think i will now but all to the root of osx...

i have a hd4850 so i need this kext:

http://netkas.org/?p=104#comment-25532

but i still have the tm problem and dont know why.

i have added <key>-f</key> <string></string>