[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

Munky - Sorry for the lack of Quote. Stupid windows machines running IE only here at work.

Anyway, I went back to 10.5.6 with HT on. 10.5.7 was def slower to me with HT off. Only negative to me is I can't use Safari 4.

[original video recommendation deleted because I am dumb. Forgot that this motherboard doesnt have a pci-express slot]

Ok, after alittle research... This card is supported using NVinject from this post. It has s-video out but if it doesnt work for some reason give the Apple DVI to Video adapter a try.

Just updated to 10.5.8 from Software Update on my D945GCLF2 hackintosh. It went fine, and everything still works after the install (sound, network, etc). However, just as with 10.5.7 it kernel panics when booting if hyperthreading is enabled. I went back to using the 10.5.6 kernel and it's working fine with HT now.

Hello guys...i don`t know if someone allready did a retail installation guide for the mini Intel D945GCLF2 so i`ve made one with all the kext and steps to install a perfect Mac OS X on it.

You will find everything you need to perform the installation at the link below.

Motherboard description:

Processor: Integrated dual-core Intel� Atom� processor 330 with a 533 MHz system bus (Recognized in 10.5.5 as 2 x 4 GHz Unknown ) ;)

Memory: One 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets. Support for DDR2 533/667 MHz DIMMs. Support for up to 2 GBΣ of system memory (seen as they realy are)

Chipset: Intel� 945GC Express Chipset and Intel� I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7)

Audio: Realtek* ALC662 audio codec (5.1 channel HD audio) (Works well with voodooHDA...grab it from here)

Video: Intel� GMA950 2772 & S-video output support (Works OOB with 1024x748 but works better with the drivers from the package. QE/CI Supported, Resolution change also) ;)

LAN Support: 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN subsystem using the Realtek* LAN adapter device (Works OOB)

SleHi ep and Resume working without problems.

download_large.gif

Contains the driver pack v2.5 + tools

N.B.

1st method using 10.5.7 vanilla kernel) For those of you who cannot run Hyperthreading after updating to 10.5.7 just run win params cpus=1 or 2 (it worked for me without problems - I used this dsdt.aml dsdt.tar).

2nd method using 10.5.6 vanilla kernel) Change your 10.5.7 kernel and System.kext with the ones in the package and all runs smoothly, with HT on, no more cpus params with a Geekbench score of 1358: Download kernel

Hi I cant download the kext that is on your page to fix the hyper thread problem well running 10.5.7 your down load link does not work could you please post a link for the file.

Updated to 10.5.8 today...

NB!! Use OSX86Tolls to backup your 10.5.6 kernel before proceeding if you have not already. While at it make fresh backups of the extensions as well as you will need the bluetooth ones.

I went from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. Was easy enough. Software update worked but I had to turn off hyperthreading in thebios to boot up after restart. Then used OSX86Tools to install all the kexts again as per the original guide. Run repair permissions and clear extension cache. Restarted pc still with HT disabled. Now restored my backup kernel from previous 10.5.6 that I was running before. Restart pc but change the HT settings in bios now to enable HT. Boots up normally now.

The only problem I had is my wireless mighty mouse and Apple wireless keyboard would just not pair after dozens of attempts. Did some online searching and found out I needed to re-installed my backup extensions for IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext.

Everything works well after this just like before.

Some extra info, system seems slightly snappier, not much but there is something there. Ran geekbench and xbench before and after 10.5.8:

Geekbench before: 1271

................after: 1322

Xbench before: 49.08

...........after: 52.02

so not a big difference.

Cheers All.

Check out this HTML 5 demo:

http://9elements.com/io/projects/html5/canvas/

Is anyone able to run this on this board at more than 1-2 frames per second? I can't. It's just as bad as Flash. Worse actually.

. . Hi - thanks for the link; but suspect this is GPU-limited.

Do you see high CPU loading? Running on a similar mobo (ION platform with an Atom 330) I see 100% - of 400%, HTT enabled running vanilla kernel 10.5.6 - & the demo runs fluently.

I have some problem. Anybody wathcing HD-video on this mobo? I install mac os 10.5.8 with kernel 9.6.8 (HT ON, boot ok) and when I watch some HD I have freeze and lags in some videos (even 720p, but some 1080p trailers play without lags), but on XP I haven't this problems. I used VLC (the more problem with this program), xbmc, mplayer. Which program is better to use on this mobo?

Got another problem here, fellas. Seems that since the 10.5.8 update, the computer will no longer wake from sleep. Tried screwing around with BIOS settings like S1/S3 and HPET but no luck. I have no idea what those settings do, but figured I would share.

Anyone else having this problem?

These are the only kexts I have installed (EFI partition)

IntelCPUPMDisabler

Disabler

RealtekR1000

AppleDecrypt

dsmos

OpenHaltRestart

and then I have AzaliaAudio installed on the main partition.

????????????????????????

I cloned my hard drive and tried an update to 10.5.8 (w 10.5.6 kernel) and I also got that problem with sleep. It seems the hard drive spins down and the screen blacks out but the fans on the motherboard keep spinning. Theres no waking up when you press keys or move mouse.

. . Hi - thanks for the link; but suspect this is GPU-limited.

Do you see high CPU loading? Running on a similar mobo (ION platform with an Atom 330) I see 100% - of 400%, HTT enabled running vanilla kernel 10.5.6 - & the demo runs fluently.

I have two cores, it runs over 100% of 200%. For me it is not smooth whatsoever. Not even close. Around 1 or 2 frames per second.

for anyone with 10.5.8 sleep problems:

already tried SleepEnabler.kext ?

The reason for the 10.5.8 sleep problems is, that there is a small piece of code added to the new kernel, that tries to shut down all CPUs (except the one running the go-to-sleep code of course when going to sleep. This is implemented by calling the registered PM extension (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under normal circumstances) and expects a KERN_SUCCESS return value.

However, when there is no PM extension registered (VoodooPower doesn't register itself as one, and probably for a good reason - the PM extension is quite tightly bound to kernel version, so there would have to be one VoodooPower.kext per kernel version), the fallback behavior is to return an error code, which in turn causes the kernel to panic (but you won't see the panic screen because your monitor is already turned off at that point, so it merely appears to hang while going to sleep).

Hello everyone, just wanted to confirm that 10.5.7 is working with HT, using the second method : 2nd method using 10.5.6 vanilla kernel) Change your 10.5.7 kernel and System.kext with the ones in the package and all runs smoothly, with HT on, no more cpus params.

I had vanilla 10.5.6 and after i used the software update it only worked without HT, after the patch everything was back to normal. Is there any chance this same patch would also work on the 10.5.8 update? Since it is not on rapidshare anymore, you can PM me, and i will send you the files.

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. Also my 1st venture into OSX territory (I can hear everyone running for the exits already!). :-)

(I'm a unix sysadmin by profession, so feel free to get technical.)

I have the Intel D945GCLF motherboard.

Here's where I've got to. I can boot the 10.5.7 dvd (borrowed it from a friend -- it came with his new macbook pro) using either the boot-132.iso method or the rEFIt Onetrack usb key method. Both result in the installer booting to the Choose Language screen.

However, here I discovered it refuses to see my ps2 mouse & ps2 keyboard. It does, however, see a usb mouse (i have one spare). Do I need to go get a usb keyboard too? I assume so.

Secondly, after choosing the language, it simply says something to the tune of "Can't install Mac OS X on this computer". The installer log shows something about failing to find/set (can't remember now) a UUID for this computer (error 35) and then in the next line "OSInstaller: Checks failed".

I tried OcciJano's DSDT too (on the rEFIt usb disk) -- but this doesn't even get to the choose language screen (freezes at blue screen).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Leon

However, here I discovered it refuses to see my ps2 mouse & ps2 keyboard. It does, however, see a usb mouse (i have one spare). Do I need to go get a usb keyboard too? I assume so.

Secondly, after choosing the language, it simply says something to the tune of "Can't install Mac OS X on this computer". The installer log shows something about failing to find/set (can't remember now) a UUID for this computer (error 35) and then in the next line "OSInstaller: Checks failed".

USB keyboard and mouse are needed for the install. You can use PS2 peripherals but only after you install the needed Kext to enable them. Leopard doesn't like legacy ports like the parallel and ps2.

Also, use a retail Leopard DVD. I've read about people using the Macbook and iMac install DVDs but it is difficult. For sanity sake, go retail.

I've got the retail DVD install and boot on the D945GCLF with a Realtek 8169SC card.

Actually have successfully upgraded the system to 10.5.8.

Now I've bought a nice motherboard ... ASRock A330GC ... essentially very similar to D945GCLF2 but accepts 4GB RAM and can overclock to 2.1 GHz in BIOS.

When trying to boot the installed kernel the retail installed system and the DVD, plus the distors including iDeneb and iAtkos (installed systems) on ASRock don't get past the "Using xxxx buffer headers ......." message. Obviously the ACPI stuff ... any hint to where to look?

thanks a lot for any info that can help.

BTW, great work guys!

I've got the retail DVD install and boot on the D945GCLF with a Realtek 8169SC card.

Actually have successfully upgraded the system to 10.5.8.

Now I've bought a nice motherboard ... ASRock A330GC ... essentially very similar to D945GCLF2 but accepts 4GB RAM and can overclock to 2.1 GHz in BIOS.

When trying to boot the installed kernel the retail installed system and the DVD, plus the distors including iDeneb and iAtkos (installed systems) on ASRock don't get past the "Using xxxx buffer headers ......." message. Obviously the ACPI stuff ... any hint to where to look?

thanks a lot for any info that can help.

BTW, great work guys!

. . . . to get the thing to boot try using the switch:

cpus=1

. . . for proper function you'll need to make then use a dsdt.aml with the CPU alias' removed.

Fire up your mobo with a bootable Linux CD [i use Parted Magic for this], then at a Terminal

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Look in root for the file you've just made, copy to a USB stick

Get a copy of iasl, put in same folder with your dsdt.aml, cd a Terminal to this folder:

./iasl -d dsdt.aml

[gives you a dsdt.dsl you can open with a text editor]

Remove CPU alias' then save.

./iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

. . . you'll have a new dsdt.aml, which can be installed to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

You can then boot OSX - the 10.5.6 kernel w/ HTT enabled.

. . . . to get the thing to boot try using the switch:

cpus=1

. . . for proper function you'll need to make then use a dsdt.aml with the CPU alias' removed.

Fire up your mobo with a bootable Linux CD [i use Parted Magic for this], then at a Terminal

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Look in root for the file you've just made, copy to a USB stick

Get a copy of iasl, put in same folder with your dsdt.aml, cd a Terminal to this folder:

./iasl -d dsdt.aml

[gives you a dsdt.dsl you can open with a text editor]

Remove CPU alias' then save.

./iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

. . . you'll have a new dsdt.aml, which can be installed to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

You can then boot OSX - the 10.5.6 kernel w/ HTT enabled.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I will try it in the evening. Will post the results.

Already tried the cpus=1 with no result.

I feel this could be a nice small Mac [with 4 GB] - the Kubuntu 9.04 on this machine just rocks!

I've got it booting (iAtkos v7) with cpus=1.

Patched DSDT.aml (removed processor aliases and recompiled) now causes kernel panics.

The machine still boots with cpus=1.

. . . turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS if using any kernel later than 10.5.6 [this includes the current voodoo kernel]. Check No-Execute Protection is enabled in the CPU section of the BIOS. Your dsdt should be good to go.

. . . perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new thread devoted to your Asus mobo.

. . . turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS if using any kernel later than 10.5.6 [this includes the current voodoo kernel]. Check No-Execute Protection is enabled in the CPU section of the BIOS. Your dsdt should be good to go.

. . . perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new thread devoted to your Asus mobo.

I don't believe it needs a separate thread .... after switching No-Exec protection on

it boots with my DSDT and cpus=2. I have noticed that hyperthreading can be left on.

Now ... I'd like to modify the boot132 CD to work with my DSDT to boot the retail. Any hints to that?

And .... many thanks for help and useful hints!

I tested Snow Leopard retail on this board using the guide (not specific to this board) that shows up on several pages after a Google search. I added the Intel GMA 950 EFI strings.

Can't get it to boot without a panic. Normally gives an error saying it expected 2 cores on the die and only found 1. cpus=1 or cpus=2 doesn't solve it. Disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS does, but then a different error occurs (something about net.osrom.kext disabler).