Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

This seems to be working for me:

If I boot and no WiFi is available:

1. In terminal, sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

2. KextHelper install IO80211Family.kext

3. Repair Permissions (OSX86 tools seems to work)

4. Turn off Airport in OS X

5. Cold shutdown and reboot with -f boot flag

6. Turn on Airport in OS X

7. Scan

It's annoying, though, I'd like a better solution :\

hi, have you tried to shutdown the system completely and boot it again before doing the seven steps?

as for me, if I boot and no wifi available in kismac, I just shutdown and boot up the system again. If the second boot does not work, the third boot will normally work.

previously, i tried the method of deleting mkext and reinstalling the io80211family.kext but in the end, the process messed up the whole os x in which i had to do a reinstall ...

Can any please write a real driver for the ar5007 chipset?

PS: just installing the io802.11family.kext gives me ocasional kernel panics. (I have to repair permissions in safe mode)

My specs: Asus EEE PC 900HA running iDeneb 1.3 10.5.6, 1gb ram, azureware ge-780 (ar5007eg)

Asus EEEpc 904HA, works as promised \o/

Took me a while to figure out how to change the en0 to en1 (the internal LAN nic is also not supported by stock drivers, so if you simply follow the first post, your airport will end up as en0. eek. maybe you could point to this in the guide?), searching the forum helps.

i'm a bit puzzled, why do i need a modified .kext anyways, if the driver is part of the stock IO80211Family.kext? the pci-id should match in Info.plist - at least the upper byte should... is the lower byte part matched in the AtherosSomething binary? How did you modify it?

i'm able and willing to help develop this further, so i don't have to start kismac everytime my computer wakes from sleep. why is that, anyway?

questions, questions ;-)

My earlier post was with the AR5007EG.

hi, have you tried to shutdown the system completely and boot it again before doing the seven steps?

as for me, if I boot and no wifi available in kismac, I just shutdown and boot up the system again. If the second boot does not work, the third boot will normally work.

previously, i tried the method of deleting mkext and reinstalling the io80211family.kext but in the end, the process messed up the whole os x in which i had to do a reinstall ...

'

This didn't work; I do need to follow these steps every time.

I made some slightly modifications to my AirportAtheros.kext from IO80211Family.kext using my subvendor_id and such (got from Windows's Everest) as follow:

<dict>
	<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AirPort_Athr5424ab</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<array>
			<string>pci105b,e008</string>
			<string>pci168c,1c</string>
		</array>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>
</dict>

I edited these following this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...%3C/t57316.html

The Airport is always detected every boot; problem is, it doesn't always find the Networks (say 6/10). I have to go back and forth to Windows in order to work.

It gets me very happy everytime it works, but when it doesn't it really pisses me off. Anyways, one step closer to the awesomeness guys.

post-298892-1232299233_thumb.png

Hey Fake666 Ii too have a new 904HA Atom not the celeron one, which do you have? So far I am dualbooting osx86 and xp pro, i used the ipc 10.5.6 distro and guides for the 1000h which i have almost everything working except for thehe res, only have 800x600 but qu extreme is working, and wireless is not workin.

Aany chance you can lend me a hand because i cant seem to find any guides with the 904ha and since you have one working Ii waass hoping you could lend a hand. my email, ronjeremy6984@yahoo.com

thanks.

Asus EEEpc 904HA, works as promised \o/

Took me a while to figure out how to change the en0 to en1 (the internal LAN nic is also not supported by stock drivers, so if you simply follow the first post, your airport will end up as en0. eek. maybe you could point to this in the guide?), searching the forum helps.

i'm a bit puzzled, why do i need a modified .kext anyways, if the driver is part of the stock IO80211Family.kext? the pci-id should match in Info.plist - at least the upper byte should... is the lower byte part matched in the AtherosSomething binary? How did you modify it?

i'm able and willing to help develop this further, so i don't have to start kismac everytime my computer wakes from sleep. why is that, anyway?

questions, questions ;-)

I made some slightly modifications to my AirportAtheros.kext from IO80211Family.kext using my subvendor_id and such (got from Windows's Everest) as follow:

<dict>
	<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AirPort_Athr5424ab</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<array>
			<string>pci105b,e008</string>
			<string>pci168c,1c</string>
		</array>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>
</dict>

I edited these following this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...%3C/t57316.html

The Airport is always detected every boot; problem is, it doesn't always find the Networks (say 6/10). I have to go back and forth to Windows in order to work.

It gets me very happy everytime it works, but when it doesn't it really pisses me off. Anyways, one step closer to the awesomeness guys.

Thank you for sharing your work on this wifi problem. My questions are:

Is kismac still needed?

Do you still get kernel panics at bootup?

Does it make Mac OS X unstable?

So yeah, I contacted Atheros concerning their support for AR5007 on a Mac and they told I had to refer my manufacturer concerning this (in this case Acer) and as far as they know there are no drivers for mac.

So yeah, we're pretty much screwed when it comes for vanilla drivers.

Mine is weird, when wireless works my System Profiler says AirPort Exreme (0x168C, 0x137A) but when it just detects no wireless connections at all, it says (0x168C, 0x001C) Also, no matter if it works or not, if I run OSx86 tools the Hardware Infomation always says (0x168C, 0x001C)

I don't know if this helps.

I have the Compaq C762NR. Windows says my card is the Atheros AR5007 0x168C, 0x137A

So I could use some help :rolleyes:

I followed the instructions, installed the kext, rebooted and i had the beautiful airport icon in my menu bar for the first time.. i was very excited.

Then I did the next step which is to install the airport extreme update.. and when i rebooted, the airport icon was gone and i have not been able to get it back since.

I've tried reinstalling the kext, deleting extensions.mkext, repairing permissions, etc.. nothing. impossible to get the icon back.. is there any way to uninstall the airport update, since thats what seems to have messed things up for me?

*EDIT* ok so i got the airport icon back somehow.., now my issue is that kismac does not find any networks..

*EDIT* No luck.. Kismac does not find any networks.. grrrrr.. i changed from en0 to en1 also but that didn't seem to do the trick for me..

OK im stuck :P

I think I may know what the problem is.. every time i edit networkinterfaces.plist and change en0 to en1, then i reboot, and i check it and it's back to en0 !!

Any ideas??

*EDIT* I got the en1 to stick.. went to Sys Prefs, NEtowrk, it detected a new port, enabled that.. still not picking up any networks in kismac. now im def fresh out of ideas. :D

:wallbash:

*EDIT* IT WORKS!!!! Typing from WiFi right now!! What did it for me is adding the pci168c,1d string !!

I'm on a EEE PC 900a if anyone needs help!

Thanks oldmaclover! After reading pages of this thread, I made my Satellite A200 working with wifi.

Toshiba Satellite A200 (P/N PSAE3C)

T2330 CPU

GM965 (X3100) [8086:2a02] (rev 0c)

AR5007EG wifi [168c:001c] (rev 01)

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and applied oldmaclover's instruction. It works on my Satellite and reboot stably, but no CI/QE for X3100 and CPU sometime running hot.

Then, I try iTAKOS 5i and iPC OSX86 on my Satellite, it boot into welcome screen. When reboot, it becomes very unstable--with system panic or stop with blue screen. I re-install X3100-slashack driver to iPC installation, and it becomes more stable to reboot with -f option (90% success to boot up).

After some tweaking again, i found that those who USE the disabler.kext in the iATKOS 5i will not be able to detect any network at all with kismac...

so phoenix, if u have that.. just kextunload it in terminal....... though there's a chance that after u unload it might panic

the disabler disable some stock drivers that might interfere wif u're wireless..

good luckkk!

However, after hundreds of restart or shutdown, the AR5007EG/airport was detected and Kismac still didn't work. After different trials mentioned on this thread: reinstall kexts, Kismac, DSDT fix, repair permission of partition. Kismac started scanning but no network detected.

Thank you for the clue from clancom who mentioned about the disabler.kext.

I switch back to Kalyway partition which has wifi working and Kismac detects all the networks easily in every boot. Then, I compare two extensions files and find that disabler.kext may be the culprit. Thus, I delete it from my kexts and turns out to has kernel panic instantaneously or at boot up. Just shutdown and boot with -f option. I turn on the airport, start scan on Kismac and it works!! ;)

Then, shutdown (can't use restart) and boot without -f, I got five success out of six boot up. I write this reply using wifi to let anyone have the same problem to try this solution. I use iPC OSX86 with PC EFI V9 and disabler.kext. If your system can detect AR5007EG as airport but Kismac cannot detect networks, delete disabler.kext and restart with -f option.

If this suggestion can help you, please reply and tell other buddies. :P