Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

i don't understand...is there a universal solution for fix the wifi?? :blink:

i think that we need a new driver..i think that is the only solution..

universal solution, i believe is to buy a compatible wifi card that works otb ...

myi4u > No I don't use Shade, and I've got no problem installing new programs. In fact I never did a 'repair disk permissions', as everything is working great now. Sometimes I've got to reboot once before getting the wifi to work, but it's ok.

btw, what about installing programs which are for tiger or panther? will they affect anything if i install them in leopard?

'anything' as in generally, not in terms of wifi only ...

The only problem I see is if the application you download & install doesn't have the required libraries to run on Leopard... But it'll be indicated on the website or wherever you're getting the application. If the application is made to run on panther or tiger specifically, then it won't even launch in Leopard, throwing an error message. So, no, it won't affect the system itself.

hi jinggoff and w3c.org, do you use a program called shade? do u experience any problems after installing new programs?

my wifi is working alright ... after reboot or shutdown, i just run kismac again and it will detect the network ... i will make a backup of it after i am sure that it is really working good and then try to install some programs and meddling the shade program to see if the wifi still works ..

palomu: what version of osx86 u used?

i suggest that everyone do a 'repair disk permission' before and after the installation of kexts ... also, after every installation of new programs ...

gosh, why mac suggests its users to repair disk permission every time a new program is installed? isn't that kind of time consuming?

i use ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 and also shade and now i haven't any problem with wifi

i use ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 and also shade and now i haven't any problem with wifi

hi there, thanks for letting me know ... i will try it again ... this is the second time that i managed to boot my computer and connect to wifi successfully ... i will backup it tomorrow if it works fine .. but i doubt that it will give me any problems though ...

as of now, i did not install airport update ...

myi4u i don't understand how you resolve the wifi problem....can you explain me plz?

haven't you installed airport update? in this case, can i remove my airport update or i need to reinstall all system? tnx

well, it's a long story. when i had my wifi working, i proceeded to install shade. after reboot, wifi didn't work. i tried shutting down, reinstalling kext, removing mkext and all sorts of things and finally, it worked. then i installed another program called journal. then the wifi failed completely. the journal version 2.6.1 is for tiger while version 5 which is designed for leopard is not free. so, i wondered if it was journal that caused my wifi to fail. but it seemed not quite logical.

again, i tried all methods and it still failed. finally, i tried to repair disk permission and only to be told that there was an error. i didn't copy down the error message and i regret that. i then proceed to restore from the backup. i had 5 partitions; Partition A: Samsung Recovery, Partition B: Windows XP, Partition C: Mac OS Backup, Partition D: Leopard and Partition E: Data.

Mac OS Backup is a clean install. I restored it to Leopard and Leopard is the partition that i do all the testing and installation. when it Leopard is considered stable in my opinion, i will then make a backup to Mac OS Backup. And play around with Leopard.

because my wifi failed to work, i restored Leopard from my backup. after restored, i did not install airport update. i just

1. Repair disk permission. REBOOT

2. I have one extensions.mkext and one extensions.mkextacql. I removed the acql one only. REBOOT

3. Install io80211family.kext

4. Install kismac

5. Repair disk permission. REBOOT

6. WiFi working

Three days in a row, my wifi works fine. Either tonight or tomorrow i will install shade again (since palomu has no problem with shade) and see if wifi works after that. But before that, I will backup the current working leopard, of course.

Hi!

it sadly do not work for me. Help me please.

I have a Lenovo (Y400 3000) with a Intel 3945. My father has a Acer 3680 with a Atherros AR5007.

After reading this thread, this morning I exchanged these cards.

So here is my system:

CPU: Intel 2250 - 1G73.

Chipset: Intel 945.

And the procedure I did:

1. Install Iatkos 5i (10.5.5) with the kernel is ToH 9.2

2. Run "Kalyway.10.5.2All_Kernels.pkg to change the kernel to the Vanilla 9.2.2

3. Run the AirportExtremeUp2008004.dmg. Reboot.

4. Intall IO80211Family.kext.

5. Repair Permission.

6. Run KisMAC trunk r319 (that is a excutable file, so I can't install it)

7. Preference - Add "Apple Airport Extreme, passive mode"

8. Start scan but find nothing.

Pls help me!

OMG IT WORKS NOW!!! thank u everyone that has helped at first i tried all your guy's methods and it didnt work. i upgrade to 10.5.5 and used jinnggoff's method and it was scanning and recognized my atheros 5007 but never got the network.. BUT!!! i started backuping my system(with time machine) and i stopped and then when i decided to try it(with Kismac) even though i'm probably not gonna get the wireless going it WORKED! for some reason i dont know why but try that. at first i tried it and it worked then i tried to go to safari it said i was connected but internet didnt go so i click diagnose and it check everything then it started the internet up. its weird i know but it works now!! thank u everyone who has tried to help 5007 work i really appreciate it!! :lol:

PROOF!

Picture1sss.png

Picture2qq.png

congrats then farriskhalid ...

i just boot into mac and found out that the wifi did not work. it turned out that the airport was showing only three bars. i did nothing but shut down the netbook. i boot into mac again and this time, the wlan was detected .... so far, it worked twice in three boots ...

i remember someone in this topic mentioned that sometime, we have to reboot the system a few times in order to kick start the wifi card .. i believe that it is quite true... somehow, we got panic when we could not get any wlan ... and we start to install again the kext or delete the mkext or repair the permission ... maybe it is only as easy as shutting down the netbook and reboot again ...

my logic is that the kext has been replace, the wifi card is detected and i am able to view wlan using kismac for a few times ... so, there is no reason why i should reinstall the kext or even repair the permission since i already had it repaired the very first time i installed it ... secondly, i should take back the words saying that installation of new programs has made my wifi failed because it does not make sense at all ... till then, i shall be patient and restart the system when kismac fails to detect any wlan ...

more observation needed though ...

i believe that you are right...thats exactly how i reacted when it didnt work i just said to myself ohh well its not gonna work then i turned it off then went to bed then i came back the next day and booted it up and now it works. By the way does anyone know if time machine will screw up my install becuase i was just done backing up and i reboot and the apple screen came up and it said i had to reboot and it kept on saying it until about the 5th time and now i'm able to boot into it. I hope i'm wrong. :)

Happy holidays everyone! hope all of you got your wireless working...oldmaclover gave us an early present this year....anyways have a nice holiday :D

Man, this setup is weird. It seems to work with a random combination of:

1. removing the mext file

2. repairing disk permissions

3. booting into another OS to properly initialize the card

I got it working, but lost it again after I rebooted. On scanning, dmesg gave some ath_hal: Unable to reset channel errors, which I am assuming will be fixed by booting into another OS.

Also, weirdly, after this error comes and I boot into Win XP, the network card is not detected at all :rolleyes:. It takes another reboot to get it detected in windows.

For developers:

Very recently, the HAL used for AR5007EG was opensourced, so maybe looking at that code will help understand the initialization part. Also, the kext has drivers for AR5424, but the chipset on AR5007EG is actually AR2425. Maybe that is the problem. I can help with driver development, so please do let me know if you develop drivers. I come from a strong linux background.

What do you got? And what should it be for you?

as far as i am concern, it should be on en1 and not en0. I had en0 previously and no matter what methods I tried, it just failed. I then changed it to en1 and it worked after reboot. someone in the forums said that airport has to be en1.

induscreep & phoenix530 - it might be a good idea that u just shut down and start your computer again because u already got it working in the first place. removing and reinstalling the driver may not be a good idea because i have tried that and it screwed up the hard drive permission and the result, i have to restore my mac os x.

like i said yesterday, my wifi worked three times in four boots ... i did not reinstall the driver, i just shut down and start it back again ...

Hey guys...! I finally got this workingg... I also have Atheros 5007EG... well at least vista detects it like that...

HEre are some things that I did to get my wireless working...

You need to install the PCI fix.. because "OPCIFamily will try to fix devices/bridges misconfigured by BIOS, including pccards, ethernet, etc."--> get the kext file from here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry627822

If anything s**t up.. not reponsible for it.. but this FIX help leopard to detect my ethernet which was never working before...

anywho, after that update the airport extreme 2008... install the kext from this 1st post and you should have u're card detected! at first.. i didn't even get my card detected after installing the kext...

After, you will have to "fix" u're atheros driver with u're subvendor ID and vendor ID

The reasoning that I follow is that.. there's really one driver for all similar atheros card (e.g., the 5xxx series)

but you will have to change u're /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext /info.plist to u're own subvendor ID and vendor id...

mine is 163c,1c and subvendor ID 7128144f (at least this is what it says in vista, u can check it going to properties of the card and find the hardware ID)

then u would change using the nano command in terminal:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci144f,7128</string> <--- change this line to fit u're subvendor

<string>pci168c,1c</string> <---- change this line to fit u're vendor

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

After SAVE, and reboot

take out kismac

load driver for both airport extreme ACTIVE and PASSIVE

i dont' know why.. but passive didn't work lol...

but then u can detect u're network.. close kismac and bam u're DONEEE

btw, my en1 is ethernet, and my en2 is wireless... so the wireless still works.. just change the enX number in kismac if u have it different...

some specs about my comp: iATKOS 5i installation, PCI V9 for bootloader, vanilla kernel 9.5.0, SMBIOS-mac air,

Toshiba U300, atheros 5006x or atheros 5007EG.. don't know, cuz vista detects 5007EG but some ppl say it's 5006x, realtek 8101 for ethernet...

hope this works for u! i didn't repair permission anytime during installation.. and everything works fine now, no panic no nothing... ask me Q's if u have them,,,, i'll try to guide u

clancom with your IOPCIFamily.kext my system don't work :|

now i need to restore my original kext.... :\

hey phoenix530 ... i thought u already got ur wifi working previously?

well, i am now down to only one step. whenever i start my netbook, i just run kismac and start the scan without removing and adding the passive atheros wifi in the driver screen. i ran into some kernel panic after i play around with my xp just now ... but it didnt matter anyway ... now i m on mac and the wifi detected immediately after i ran kismac ...